• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock only time exclusive?

KGKK

Banned
Honestly though none of this really matters. Come on the sales of Bioschock are still going to be low either way. I remember when Deus Ex 2 came out on the Xbox and the original Deus Ex came out for the ps2 which both were great games flopped big time for the Xbox and its going to be the same with Bioshock.

Mojovonio

Banned
KGKK said:
Honestly though none of this really matters. Come on the sales of Bioschock are still going to be low either way. I remember when Deus Ex 2 came out on the Xbox and the original Deus Ex came out for the ps2 which both were great games flopped big time for the Xbox and its going to be the same with Bioshock.

SHIT! Someone email 2k right away with this quote! Maybe its not too late!

Owzers

KGKK said:

Bioshock = 500k copies guaranteed as long as they run SOME kind of commercials around it which you know they will. The excitement around this game is tangible.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most of the people that are really hyped for this games already fans because of System Shock 2? How did that game perform?

pswii60

Straight from the horse's mouth... Take 2...

2K Announces BioShock as an Exclusive Xbox 360 and Games for Windows title

New York, NY - September 28, 2006 - 2K, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), today announced that BioShock, its highly anticipated and award-winning innovative first person shooter, will be released exclusively on Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Games for Windows, the new brand optimized for Windows XP and Windows Vista. Slated for 2007 and developed by Irrational Games, a 2K development studio, BioShock will forever change the expectations for the first-person shooter.

"2K is excited to release BioShock exclusively on Xbox 360 and under the Games for Windows brand on the PC," said Christoph Hartmann, President, 2K. "BioShock is the next step in the evolution of first-person shooters and a perfect title to push the limits of Xbox 360."

"We expect BioShock will set a new mark in next generation gaming when it launches next year," said George Peckham, general manager, global third party publishing for the Interactive Entertainment Business, Microsoft. "We're thrilled that gamers will be able to experience BioShock only as an Xbox 360 and Games for Windows title."

The Games for Windows branding ensures that consumers have a consistent, reliable gaming experience on Windows XP and Windows Vista with easier game installation, improved reliability, and support for key Windows Vista features. These titles will also support wide-screen gaming, can be launched from within Windows Media Center, will be compatible with 64 bit consumer versions of Windows and support the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows.

Taking full advantage of both Microsoft platforms, BioShock takes place among the ruins of an underwater utopia. After your plane crashes into icy, uncharted waters, you discover a rusted bathysphere and descend into Rapture, a city hidden beneath the sea. Constructed as an ideal society for a hand-picked group of scientists, artists and industrialists, Rapture collapsed under the weight of its own idealism. Now the city is littered with corpses, wildly powerful guardians roam the corridors, mutated little girls scavenge the dead, and genetically modified citizens ambush you at every turn.

BioShock is in development for Xbox 360 and Windows and will be released in 2007. For more information please visit www.2kgames.com.

pswii60

Willy Wanka said:
:lol I can't believe people are still arguing over this...

I know, thought I'd post it again with a direct link to the press release to make the point that this thread should be over already :)

pswii60 said:

Actually, from the first post, which was AFTER the announced exclusivity, the producer of the title, specifically made the comments in the initial post.

Wollan said:
I'm reading a norwegian interview here with Kevin Levine(producer I think). The reporter (a hardcore guy who knows his stuff) mentions in the article that he asked Take 2 about the exclusivity deal and they won't confirm or deconfirm a PS3 version and then they said that the X360 exclusivity is for a 'certain amount of time'.

The producer actually says that it's a timed exclusive and folks wonder why there's this discussion. It's been a multiplatform title for a long time and Microsoft seems to have approached them for a timed exclusive. Why else would Ken Levine (who was responsible for System Shock) make this comment??

And here's an interview with Ken, where they asked about the platform back from January. Notice the plural for consoles. Do folks actually think they'd throw away the dollars they've spent, especially in light of his comment after the exclusivity announcement?

GS: Which next-gen consoles is BioShock in development for?
KL: We haven't revealed platforms at this time other than to say it's coming for next-generation consoles and PC.

In any case, it's an Xbox 360 exclusive, which doesn't mean much at all in this current generation as I think we've found out in a big way already this generation, so both sides can piss and moan all they like. I'll get it for the 360 and when or if it's available for the PS3, which IMO is very likely, alot of PS3 gamers will get a chance to play it as well.

Rhindle

I don't think they really mean it. I mean it just says "exclusive." It doesn't say "exclusive forever and ever." It could be exclusive for a month or something. It also doesn't say "exclusive everywhere worldwide." It could just be exclusive for downtown Seattle or something. Or maybe the exlusivity is just exclusivity for announcement of exclusivity. Like they could publish it on other platforms nonexlcusively but not exclusively announce it as exclusive on those platforms.

It's totally ambiguous IMO.

This thread sucks and is about 5.5 pages too long.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I asked someone senior and they told me it is, as the Take 2 release says, completely exclusive and technically, forever.

The wording in the conference was unclear however, so I'm not surprised there's confusion.

Stinkles said:
I asked someone senior and they told me it is, as the Take 2 release says, completely exclusive and technically, forever.

The wording in the conference was unclear however, so I'm not surprised there's confusion.

So, when Ken Levine said "a certain amount of time", what he meant was ALL TIME?

Stinkles said:

Tangibly exclusive? Shanebots am cry.

----

Banned
Stinkles said:

LA LA LA... LA LA LA Can't hear you!
I won't believe you until I see an actual contract signed with the blood of virgins.

GhaleonEB said:
Or, he was wrong. Or misspoke. Or was misquoted.

I guarantee he wasn't wrong or misspoke. It's not like he's just a PR guy, he created the freaking game. However, it's certainly possible the reporter got it wrong, or that the interview was actually before X06 and the question was based off an assumed exclusivity.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
---- said:
LA LA LA... LA LA LA Can't hear you!
I won't believe you until I see an actual contract signed with the blood of virgins.

Like I said, all I have is the take 2 release and talk. If it goes onto PS3 in 2008 don't yell at me.

GhaleonEB

sonycowboy said:
I guarantee he wasn't wrong or misspoke. It's not like he's just a PR guy, he created the freaking game. However, it's certainly possible the reporter got it wrong, or that the interview was actually before X06 and the question was based off an assumed exclusivity.
Right, I'm just saying - we've got one guy, albeit a very important guy - implying it might be timed. And then the publishing company announcing it through a press release which leaves slightly less than zero ambiguity. And Microsoft issuing a press release. And Stinkles' post. There's enough evidence on one side that it certainly seems likely that the quote is in inaccurate, whether as spoken or as written.

GhaleonEB said:
Right, I'm just saying - we've got one guy, albeit THE MOST IMPORTANT guy - implying it might be timed. And then the publishing company announcing it through a press release which leaves slightly less than zero ambiguity. And Microsoft issuing a press release. And Stinkles' post. There's enough evidence on one side that it certainly seems likely that the quote is in inaccurate, whether as spoken or as written.

The press release doesn't have zero ambiguity. "Exclusive" as a term in this industry now means absolutely nothing. The definition is essentially that "you can't get it elsewhere", but does not give any connotation as to the the time frame involved.

As much as some PS3 fans may be trying to parse the PR to find outs, it seems 360 fans are doing the same to find ins. Sony announced GTA exclusive in no uncertain terms at prior E3's and yet they all made it to the Xbox. And we've got more than enough history just in the past 18 months to make the term completely vacuous.

And that goes for MGS4, FFXIII, DMC4, & VF5 as well.

If the manufacturer doesn't own the IP or the developer, I doubt any contract signed these days locks a publisher down to a system for the life of the platform. All I'm saying is there is no "never" anymore, but if you want a game and it's only announced for one system, get that system if you REALLY want that game. At the same time, I think it's ridicululous for folks to try and definitively state what a corporation, that wants to make money and that the person has absolutely no insight into, is going to do.

sangreal

GhaleonEB said:
Right, I'm just saying - we've got one guy, albeit a very important guy - implying it might be timed.

I'm not sure he said anything of the sort. The OP does not attribute that part to Ken Levine, and I ran the article through a translator and it doesn't look to me like the question was posed to Ken Levine. It certainly wasn't a quote either way.

As far as I can tell from poor translations the author just says Take 2 declined to confirm or deny a PS3 version and would only say that it is exclusive on the Xbox 360 for a certain amount of time. The author could have simply gotten that from the confusion over Microsoft's press release

GhaleonEB

sonycowboy said:
The press release doesn't have zero ambiguity.

*some other stuff*
You lost me at 'hello'.

You can read into the meaning of the word "exclusive" (or "is", for that matter), and go into industry trends, the whole nine yards. But none of that squares with what 1) 2K announced in their press release, 2) Peter Moore said in the keynote and 3) Microsoft said in their press release. What ever the reason - and I'm sure it had a lot of zeroes after it - it's happened.

PleoMax

Banned
sonycowboy said:
The press release doesn't have zero ambiguity. "Exclusive" as a term in this industry now means absolutely nothing. The definition is essentially that "you can't get it elsewhere", but does not give any connotation as to the the time frame involved.

As much as some PS3 fans may be trying to parse the PR to find outs, it seems 360 fans are doing the same to find ins. Sony announced GTA exclusive in no uncertain terms at prior E3's and yet they all made it to the Xbox. And we've got more than enough history just in the past 18 months to make the term completely vacuous.

And that goes for MGS4, FFXIII, DMC4, & VF5 as well.

If the manufacturer doesn't own the IP or the developer, I doubt any contract signed these days locks a publisher down to a system for the life of the platform. All I'm saying is there is no "never" anymore, but if you want a game and it's only announced for one system, get that system if you REALLY want that game. At the same time, I think it's ridicululous for folks to try and definitively state what a corporation, that wants to make money and that the person has absolutely no insight into, is going to do.

Look.

I don't whats your deal, you seem to get stressed alot with this kind of stuff, i don't know whats the story behind your nick either, but must be something for the ages, you don't get called a cowboy nowadays for nothing know i mean?, but the the thing is...right now all we know its exclusive, we don't know times and we don't know anything about a Ps3 version 1 year later, what we know is that when this shit releases, you ain't gonna be seeing anything about a Possible Ps3 version, its like it doesn't exist. And when this game launches, you will see if its "Only on Xbox360", catch my drift?

But in the end, nowadays, 1 year exclusives its all these manufacturers need. And as you said...if you really WANNA bioshock either play it on the PC or get it on the 360, just like if you really want Mgs4 or Dmc4, get a Ps3.

But there's a definitilly different case between saying "This game is exclusive" and "When this game ships at dat X you will only be able to play on console X" and "We have only announced game X for console X".

And obviouslly, the stamp on the damm box.

jedimike

I agree... I know people are on edge over the announcements and games and crap over the last two weeks, but it's announced as exclusive. It's a feather in 360's cap and one removed from Sony's.

Who cares? They both still have lots of feathers. So you chalk up Bioshock as a loss and move on. The SDF is still running strong when there is no need.

Dahbomb

I WILL agree with one thing, the term "exclusive" has now lost all meaning. Unless a game comes out with either a Sony or Microsoft Game Studios logo on the front cover (ie. 1st or 2nd part dev), the exclusivity of a game is up in the air, despite what some corporate execs might lead you to believe.

icarus-daedelus said:
So, anyway, everybody buy 3 copies of Bioshock to support Irrational. I hope it is coming to PS3, but if not, hey, I was planning to get a 360 eventually anyway. :)
Well it is good to know so many people are excited for Bioshock, though I suspect some people here couldn't give a **** about the game beyond it being a marketing bullet point.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Billy Rygar said:
Well it is good to know so many people are excited for Bioshock, though I suspect some people here couldn't give a **** about the game beyond it being a marketing bullet point.

Which is a sad reflection of gaming right now.

Anyways, I dislike FPSs, but SS2 was awesome. Bioshock has everything I adore in FPSs, plus more. I'm easily more excited for this than Halo 3. (Sorry Stinkles, your game'll still get plenty of play time, especially with friends) I truly hope this delivers on everything IG hopes to deliver.

jedimike

Billy Rygar said:

I guess you didn't see the 15 minute gameplay demo (here) or the 10 page thread about it (here).

jedimike said:
I guess you didn't see the 15 minute gameplay demo (here) or the 10 page thread about it (here).
I actually didn't see them (I am trying not to ruin anything about the game with a media blackout from here on out) but my point was I suspect there are people here feigning excitement or the fact that they care about the game at all in order to argue console loyalty.

Kangu

Banned
It's not like it'd be hard to get this game exclusive. Sales projections were probably in the low to mid-BOMBA range, so Take2 looked at the offer from MS (who really wants the hardcore cred) and said 'why not!'

Kangu said:
It's not like it'd be hard to get this game exclusive. Sales projections were probably in the low to mid-BOMBA range, so Take2 looked at the offer from MS (who really wants the hardcore cred) and said 'why not!'

I hope your being sarcastic.

Kangu

Banned
DreamMachine said:
I hope your being sarcastic.

You think this game is some kind of console mover? Sorry but no. I'm pretty sure a decent offer by MS would have been more than enough to secure the exclusive.

Kangu said:
You think this game is some kind of console mover? Sorry but no. I'm pretty sure a decent offer by MS would have been more than enough to secure the exclusive.

it may not be a console mover, but it will sell really well.

Bob Saget

Banned
Kangu said:

It certainly has a ton of positive buzz around it. I mean just look at all the people here clamouring for it on their console of choice. :lol

raYne

I was wondering how long it'd take this game to "suck". I thought it'd at least be around the time the next batch of screenshots get released.

Top Bottom