• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock only time exclusive?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
sangreal said:
Thats the impression I got from the press release but you never know with Microsoft announcements

We'll have to wait for the box art I guess ;)

4036-v3-orig.jpg

LOL

Tieno

I'm not buying the Press Release, they're trying too hard with the exclusive and whatnot. They gots to play it smooth and cool.

JB1981 said:
No ONLY ON 360 symbol! Therefore, it's multiplatform.
Code:
I kid. I was wrong. Sorry.
no worries :) good to see your sense of humour is holding up too... so glad we aren't going to do that whole 'NO ONLY ON 360 PS3 VERSION CONFIRMED' dance again.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
plagiarize said:
no worries :) good to see your sense of humour is holding up too... so glad we aren't going to do that whole 'NO ONLY ON 360 PS3 VERSION CONFIRMED' dance again.

That would be ignoring the PC version, which seems to have been forgotten in the mix.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Shard said:
That would be ignoring the PC version, which seems to have been forgotten in the mix.

PCs aren't consoles. Exclusivity has historically meant in the console realm. Given, next gen is much more PC port/crossover friendly, and Windows is really focusing on the "Games for Windows" initiative, but I believe the point still stands.

Xbox 360 "Only For" logos apparently do mean just exclusive to 360 and no other platforms at all, but it hasn't really been around long enough to fully test that theory either so....

manxor

Everything, except for Microsoft Game Studios exclusives (Mass Effect) is a "timed" exclusive. That doesn't mean there's a PS3 version "waiting in the wings" (well, almost being UE3 and all). It's just that the ability for it be released on other platforms is enabled after a certain time.

This is true for almost every 3rd party "exclusive". :)

REV 09

manxor said:
Everything, except for Microsoft Game Studios exclusives (Mass Effect) is a "timed" exclusive. That doesn't mean there's a PS3 version "waiting in the wings" (well, almost being UE3 and all). It's just that the ability for it be released on other platforms is enabled after a certain time.

This is true for almost every 3rd party "exclusive". :)
MGS4 xbox 360 version confirmed...thanks for the clarification.

If you expect there to be NO 3rd party exclusives this gen, then you're going to be very disappointed. The 3rd party exclusives are shrinking, we all know that...but that won't make them nonexistent. I don't expect Metal Gear Solid 4 to come to the 360...period.

Razoric

Banned
sangreal said:
I find it interesting that you are so eager to believe that Bioshock is multiplatform after you swore up and down that Assassin's Creed wasn't despite the AC exclusive being much more transparent

I'd quote you from the thread but I see you went back and edited out all of your posts: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117245

typhonsentra said:

:lol :lol indeed.

edit, found it:
typhonsentra said:
Who ****ing called it?!?

I have to give it to Microsoft though, their ability to spread FUD and false rumors about this game is impressive. I've never seen a company get away with lying so much before in this industry, truly astounding.

:lol

REV 09 said:
MGS4 xbox 360 version confirmed...thanks for the clarification.

If you expect there to be NO 3rd party exclusives this gen, then you're going to be very disappointed. The 3rd party exclusives are shrinking, we all know that...but that won't make them nonexistent. I don't expect Metal Gear Solid 4 to come to the 360...period.
rev, that's not what he's saying. he's just explaining that when you sign an exclusivity contract it isn't from now until forever whatever the platform it's on is.

you're free to make another version of the game during that time, so long as you don't release it during that time, but whether or not the developer actually does is up to them.

no one would sign an 'exclusive forever' deal i don't think.

when Nintendo signed 'exclusive RE' that was, i believe, a four year contract. RE4 actually hit PS2 after the exclusivety had run out. the only reason the time between the two versions was just a few months, was because the cube version was so delayed.

Jim

I probably know better than this, but in regards to PR speak and exclusives.
Do we know for sure the deal with Lost Planet?

During the E3, Lost Planet's description, from Microsoft:
"Lost Planet" (Capcom Entertainment Inc.). Keiji Inafune, the creator of "Mega Man" and "Onimusha," brings to life a riveting sci-fi action shooter with intense cinematic gameplay set within the merciless frozen tundra of a hostile planet. "Lost Planet," an Xbox 360 exclusive, features online multiplayer gameplay via Xbox Live and will launch in the first quarter of 2007.

Now, from the X06 in a similar PR:
“Lost Planet: Extreme Condition” (Capcom). “Lost Planet: Extreme Condition” is a riveting sci-fi action shooter with intense cinematic gameplay set within the ruthless conditions of a war-torn ice covered planet. With a gripping single-player campaign and numerous multiplayer modes, “Lost Planet” promises to deliver an epic gaming masterpiece when it is released in January 2007.

typhonsentra said:
Exactly. I've learned my lesson too. It doesn't seem many of you have though.
find me a quote from someone at Ubisoft saying Assassin's Creed was exclusive to the PS3.

you won't find one because there aren't and never were any. if you think this is the same situation then you're claiming that anyone who believes that ANY third party exclusive is exclusive hasn't learnt their lesson.

the press release is as clear as any you'll see for any third party exclusive on any platform.

but there you go.

manxor

REV 09 said:
Exactly my point.

sangreal

Jim said:
I probably know better than this, but in regards to PR speak and exclusives.
Do we know for sure the deal with Lost Planet?

During the E3, Lost Planet's description, from Microsoft:

Now, from the X06 in a similar PR:

I think the only information we have on Lost Planet being exclusive is that a) no PS3 version has been announced and b) Capcom has said they have "no plans" for a PS3 version at this time but they made some cryptic comment like "we will try to keep it exclusive" depending on sales

sangreal

typhonsentra said:
Exactly. I've learned my lesson too. It doesn't seem many of you have though.

You won't find me saying I don't think Bioshock will come to PS3. I just don't think the 2k Press release is cleverly worded. I also dont think writing it in a press release binds them to never release a PS3 version

JB1981

sangreal said:
I think the only information we have on Lost Planet being exclusive is that a) no PS3 version has been announced and b) Capcom has said they have "no plans" for a PS3 version at this time but they made some cryptic comment like "we will try to keep it exclusive" depending on sales

Isn't that what Bethesda said about a PS3 version of Oblivion, though?

sangreal

JB1981 said:

beats me. I recall comments more along the lines of "we havent announced" a PS3 version (like assassin's creed), but I could be wrong

plagiarize said:
find me a quote from someone at Ubisoft saying Assassin's Creed was exclusive to the PS3.

you won't find one because there aren't and never were any. if you think this is the same situation then you're claiming that anyone who believes that ANY third party exclusive is exclusive hasn't learnt their lesson.

the press release is as clear as any you'll see for any third party exclusive on any platform.

but there you go.

I can't find anything, but then again doing a Google search is kinda hard because everything that comes up about "Asassin's Creed Exclusive" is about the controversy about whether or not it's coming out for the 360, and dissecting comments made by Ubisoft reps about not confirming other platforms.

JB1981 said:
could well be... but again Oblivion has never been called exclusive by microsoft or bethesda. Lost Planet's exclusivity does seem to be up in the air at the moment and it'd be a great game on any system. same as Dead Rising.

sangreal said:

I suspect that the 'Powered by Xbox 360' that they put at the very top of all of their credits is indicative of some kind of partnership and that there is at least a negotiated exclusivity window.

But I could be wrong.

mood

typhonsentra said:
I can't find anything, but then again doing a Google search is kinda hard because everything that comes up about "Asassin's Creed Exclusive" is about the controversy about whether or not it's coming out for the 360, and dissecting comments made by Ubisoft reps about not confirming other platforms.

You wouldnt find anything anyway because from the beginning they were only saying, "We've only announced a PS3 version at this time".

Bob Saget

Banned
IGN has the final word:

Back to exclusives, Microsoft has been a bit loose with the term lately. At Leipzig this year, the company announced an "exclusive" on next-gen soccer with FIFA 07 and Pro Evolution 6. Turns out the "exclusive" was only in Europe and only for a few months, the equivalent of calling Madden 07 a next-gen exclusive until it hits the PS3 this November.

But after talking with Microsoft reps, we did learn that Kane and Lynch and Crossfire are legitimate exclusives. Splinter Cell will appear on the PS2, PC and original Xbox. Banjo-and-Kazooie is now a first-party title anyway, a natural exclusive. And BioShock will be exclusive to 360 and Games for Windows and, according to Microsoft at a quaint dinner in the hills of Barcelona, will not appear on the PS3. PS3 owners, if it's any consolation, can watch Spiderman 2 on Blu-Ray.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/736/736050p1.html

I didn't read the whole thread, so I hope that wasn't already posted.

Uncle

sonycowboy said:
You mean other than the producer saying it's a time exclusive. Ok.

Umm... It wasn't the producer who said it.

Wollan said:
he asked Take 2 about the exclusivity deal and they won't confirm or deconfirm a PS3 version and then they said that the X360 exclusivity is for a 'certain amount of time'.

Take 2 was asked. Take 2 answered.

The same in norwegian (maybe):

Bioshock kommer på Xbox 360 og PC neste år. Take 2, som gir ut spillet, nekter å bekrefte eller avkrefte om spillet også kommer på PS3, men sier bare at det i en «viss periode» er eksklusivt på Microsofts spillmaskiner.

Take 2 won't deny or confirm. Take 2 said.

Bolding stuff is fun.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I'll ****ing boycott SC5 if it's still a port em down (or up). If you're gonna make a ****ing next gen SC, do it. If the ****ing next-gen one is held back, even by 1 pixel, I quit.

Also, put a decent ****ing team on it, Ubi.

Razoric

Banned
But after talking with Microsoft reps, we did learn that Kane and Lynch and Crossfire are legitimate exclusives. Splinter Cell will appear on the PS2, PC and original Xbox. Banjo-and-Kazooie is now a first-party title anyway, a natural exclusive. And BioShock will be exclusive to 360 and Games for Windows and, according to Microsoft at a quaint dinner in the hills of Barcelona, will not appear on the PS3. PS3 owners, if it's any consolation, can watch Spiderman 2 on Blu-Ray.

Someone get Sonycowboy and typhon some tissues.

Razoric said:
Someone get Sonycowboy and typhon some tissues.

The OP article is from today though, this IGN article was posted yesterday. How do you explain that one? I don't feel like getting into this but if people really feel the need to call me out, I'm going to respond and call you on things you say, sorry.

Razoric

Banned
typhonsentra said:
The OP article is from today though, this IGN article was posted yesterday. How do you explain that one?

That article means nothing... all it said was he wouldnt deconfirm any other Bioshock. Well MS went ahead and did it for him.

All the evidence as of right now suggests its exclusive for quite a while. Why are you still arguing this fact. Get over it, move on.

Razoric said:
That article means nothing... all it said was he wouldnt deconfirm any other Bioshock. Well MS went ahead and did it for him.

All the evidence as of right now suggests its exclusive for quite a while. Why are you still arguing this fact. Get over it, move on.

You seem to be changing your tune here. Before now, you seemed pretty confident it was a pure exclusive. If you believe the bolded portion, then we've been on the same page the entire time and we've been arguing about nothing.

Top Bottom