• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bish's Official GTA IV Thread of Comparisons and Ignoring the OP at One's Peril

iceatcs

dark10x said:
I should probably have stopped coming to this thread. I tried to play GTAIV tonight and found myself suddenly really annoyed by the lousy framerate and quit. :(

I should have purchased the 360 version it seems.

/throws PS3 at the wall

finally on 3rd island right? Yeah it is wee different than first 2 islands.

MonkeyLicker

Art does not make 60FPS @ 1080i with real world physics on the PSf*ckin2.
Onix said:
The only way to totally combine both versions would be to somehow combine all the HW strengths of each console into a new console.

That's only if you assume that this is the best these systems could do. If they were able to patch the 360 version and do away with the dither, there wouldn't be anything left to complain about on that version.

acm2000

iceatcs said:

is the framerate really that bad on the 3rd island on ps3? :s i just got there on 360 one, and it was exactly the same as the other 2, ive only seen the first island on ps3 version at my mates

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
dark10x said:
I should probably have stopped coming to this thread. I tried to play GTAIV tonight and found myself suddenly really annoyed by the lousy framerate and quit. :(

I should have purchased the 360 version it seems.

/throws PS3 at the wall

Well then, that settles it!

[/Thread]

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
iceatcs said:
No, it's actually fine on the 3rd island (well, fine for this game anywas). It's about the same across all three (maybe a bit lower on average around the 2nd island). It's never really all that smooth, but the 3rd island is no worse.

Well then, that settles it!

[/thread]
We'll find out next week when I finally get a chance to compare them myself. I want to see whether or not the framerate really IS a lot better on 360.

acm2000

dark10x said:
We'll find out next week when I finally get a chance to compare them myself. I want to see whether or not the framerate really IS a lot better on 360.

i wouldnt say a lot better, but certainly noticable, just waiting for r* to patch and allow disabling of their filter

sajj316

MonkeyLicker said:
If V-Sync was such a hindrance to the PS3 versions frame-rate you wouldn't even be able to see these kinds of fluctuations. It might be limiting the PS3 version to 30fps but in most of these scenes it can't even reach 30.

Test One: Game Intro
360: 31.990fps
PS3: 26.460fps
See it on EGTV.

Test Two: Clean Getaway
360: 28.624fps
PS3: 23.452fps
See it on EGTV.

Test Three: Final Destination
360: 35.262fps
PS3: 29.041fps
See it on EGTV.

Test Four: Station Face-Off
360: 26.076fps
PS3: 26.081fps
See it on EGTV.

Test Five: Rigged to Blow
360: 26.712fps
PS3: 23.781fps
See it on EGTV.

Test Six: Ivan the Not So Terrible
360: 33.798fps
PS3: 28.313fps
See it on EGTV.

Some interesting stats here. Seems that both versions can't really lock into the 30 fps range across the board. When I say locked, I mean > 30 for all missions but not high enough to notice a dip in frame rates on the higher end (ie 40 -> 30). OK, so 360 version running at 720p with higher framerates and more pop-up and bad dither effects. PS3 version at a lower resolution and lower framerates but less pop-up with ok looking blur effects.

Disabling v-sync might have helped the PS3 maintain a 30 fps (+/- 3) ... just throwing it out there. I prefer v-sync because I can't stand screen tearing.

JRW

Im 20 hours into 360 version and havent seen a single screen tear, Its interesting seeing those framerate results tho. .thats pretty much exactly how I felt when comparing both versions.. 360's slightly higher framerate and sharper graphics ended up winning me over and ive pretty much spent all my GTA4 time with it. Suppose Ill end up selling PS3 version.

Pimpwerx

One of my clients has a 360 with GTA4. I finally got to see it @ 720p on that system, and noticed the framerate like everyone else. It is noticeably smoother than the PS3 version, and I run mine on a SDTV. OTOH, the image quality is noticeably off. The noise on the trees that is apparent in the screens is just as distracting in the game. I guess it's dithering, but it produces an effect almost like subtle texture shimmering. I don't remember seeing this problem on any other 360 game he has.

Really though, nothing between the two versions. The framerate and IQ might be the only things you notice, and only if you go right from one to the other. PEACE.

Raistlin

MonkeyLicker said:
That's only if you assume that this is the best these systems could do.

But if you were to optimize one, you could also optimize the other. The HW's have different strengths, so if a dev were truly playing to each's strengths, there will always be things that can be done better on one versus the other.

If they were able to patch the 360 version and do away with the dither, there wouldn't be anything left to complain about on that version.

I'm under the assumption the PS3 version uses higher depth HDR.

Forsete

I just made a 8 minute long video of the PS3 version with me flying around in a helicopter.. I was flying close to the ground and my rotors were cutting down streetlights so I gained some altitude when out of no-where 3 large buildings popped up to my right. :D

I'll vimeo the video if ya'll want to see.

dark10x

But if you were to optimize one, you could also optimize the other. The HW's have different strengths, so if a dev were truly playing to each's strengths, there will always be things that can be done better on one versus the other.
Chances are, however, that the PS3 version has more room to grow. They've said in the past that the PS3 was giving them a more difficult time and it probably took more time to get it up and running on that platform. They probably had plenty of time during the past 6 months to optimize the hell out of the 360 version while time was probably much tighter for the PS3 team.

That's not to say that both versions couldn't be further optimized. I'm sure that, with more time, they could have improved performance even futher. They were already working with quite a delay, however, so I'm sure they had no choice but to get it out when they did.

Oni Jazar

I'm curious how the next GTA will turn out. Sadly I just don't see how they can fit a game the size of San Andreas with the look of GTA4 on a DVD.

dark10x

Oni Jazar said:
I'm curious how the next GTA will turn out. Sadly I just don't see how they can fit a game the size of San Andreas with the look of GTA4 on a DVD.
True, that might be difficult. I can see how it was done in GTAIV as the environment never really sees any dramatic changes. San Andreas, however, presented a whole slew of highly distinct areas. If they were to generate materials at the same quality of GTAIV with the volume required for something like SA, I don't think DVD would cut it.

I doubt we'll see a GTA game this generation with a world that diverse.

Banned
I know it won't happen, but frankly I want the next GTA to be PS3 exclusive. DVD clearly wasn't enough storage for GTA4 with the absolutely terrible audio compression, and if they're only working on PS3 they can play to its strengths which should result in a better gameplay experience – utilising the HDD properly, rather than just using it to catch up to the 360 DVD speeds, using that extra CPU power Cell has etc.

Doc Evils

andrewfee said:
I know it won't happen, but frankly I want the next GTA to be PS3 exclusive. DVD clearly wasn't enough storage for GTA4 with the absolutely terrible audio compression, and if they're only working on PS3 they can play to its strengths which should result in a better gameplay experience – utilising the HDD properly, rather than just using it to catch up to the 360 DVD speeds, using that extra CPU power Cell has etc.

You know playing the game, it feel like rockstar just about shoehorned the side missions, since the game feels pretty empty once you finish the main story.

dark10x

andrewfee said:
I can agree with that, but such an idea is sure to piss off a great number of people.

I suppose more than anything, I would prefer if they concentrate on building a single platform game first and then porting it. Still, GTAIV most certainly proves that DVD was a limitation. The XBOX360 had a real advantage here in that it was the lead platform and all content was created in order to fit within the 7gb limit (only the TV viewing benefits from the extra space).

Doc Evils

dark10x said:
I can agree with that, but such an idea is sure to piss off a great number of people.

I suppose more than anything, I would prefer if they concentrate on building a single platform game first and then porting it. Still, GTAIV most certainly proves that DVD was a limitation. The XBOX360 had a real advantage here in that it was the lead platform and all content was created in order to fit within the 7gb limit (only the TV viewing benefits from the extra space).

It would be interesting to see what they could do with a 50GB disc. allthough that would be 7 dvd's.

andrewfee said:
While I can imagine Rockstar being able to use more space would result in more assets, I can't really agree with the idea that the 360 held back the game's experience, if that's what you mean. Judging from the performance of the two released versions, the PS3 version isn't the one that was held back, as the PS3 version is objectively, technically inferior where it affects gameplay most (visual IQ, framerate). I think the world Rockstar created in GTAIV is simply astounding it's it's detail, diversity, and size. It's unprecedented, and a much bigger accomplishment that GTA:SA imho, as that game was much more expansive, but also much more bare / repetitive / bland.

Now, of course the game would be different & possibly better had it been designed solely with either platform in mind (storage on blue-ray, an engine tailored just to the strengths of cell / rsx or xenos) but that's always true. Any multi-platform title isn't pushing either of it's hosts to the max.

_Angelus_

Banned
Forsete said:
Dont laugh at my flying, I couldnt see shit on my dark monitor. ;P

http://vimeo.com/994318

The horrible life-changing crimes against humanity pop-in happens at 2:43.

Fuuuuuck..that pop up is just nasty.
Sorta reminds me of playing old Daytona on the Saturn,wow. Now you see it,now you don't.
:lol

And people complain of dithering?
This is far far worse.

Forsete

Angelus said:
Fuuuuuck..that pop up is just nasty.
Sorta reminds me of playing old Daytona on the Saturn,wow. Now you see it,now you don't.
:lol

And people complain of dithering?
This is far far worse.

Actually, thats the first time that has happened.

Top Bottom