• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bjork Biophilla |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mato said:
I adore Bjork. The tracklsit sounds very promising. I hope Biophilia is more deep and thought out than Volta. Pray theres no brass, Just use synths Bjork. Crystaline sounds a bit like Vespertine material which is good.
I'm with you. so excited for something this conceptual from bjork.

anaron

ZephyrFate said:
I apologize that it isn't filled with horrid 'hot trash' beats like your Gaga.

I am excited as fuck for this album. The real queen is here, everyone else can get the fuck out.
LOL :bow

Kevtones

Ranger X said:
She's very artistic and I have alot of respect for how daring she is. But yeah, she's too "out there" for me now.

Well like any great artist, she continually changes things up but I think she tries things she's not always adept at. Her talent is there it just always come through in the avenues she's taken.

Coeliacus

I've been really enjoying Vespertine based on Gaf recommendations and after seeing Dancer in the Dark. It's become my new favourite 'coming home after a big night drinking' album, whether after sobering up in the car or walking through the city with headphones on to catch PT.

I'm really keen to hear everything else, even if Gaf doesn't approve of the newer stuff. I wish I could check out these apps as well, I really love when art crosses mediums... but fuck iphone only. :(

besada

Banned
I really loved Medulla. Not as big a fan of Volta. Looking forward to hearing more of this. Been listening to her since the Sugarcubes, and figure I'll keep picking them up. I rarely get what I expect, but I've been pleased more often than not.

This woman is amazing, one of my favorite muscians ever.

I listened to a few of the songs on YouTube.. They're all really slow, but very interesting nonetheless. I'm hoping there are some fast/upbeat ones on the album to mix it up a bit.

Thunderbolt, Solstice, Mutual Core and Virus sound the best so far.

Is that the final tracklisting by the way? Just 10 songs?

Mononofu

7echnicolor said:
This woman is amazing, one of my favorite muscians ever.

I listened to a few of the songs on YouTube.. They're all really slow, but very interesting nonetheless. I'm hoping there are some fast/upbeat ones on the album to mix it up a bit.

Thunderbolt, Solstice, Mutual Core and Virus sound the best so far.

Is that the final tracklisting by the way? Just 10 songs?

Yep 10 final.

Jake.

the documentary will hopefully be dope. she is one of 3 people who i really hope to see perform before they retire/i die.

Nemesis_

I don't understand where the Gaga comparisons are coming from. I guess they're both weird in some sense, but they're completely different genres and by the sounds of it completely different people too.

I like the "project" kind of approach for an album, it seems ambitious but cool at the same time.

But yeah, I wouldn't consider Bjork pop =/

Neptune

Nemesis556 said:
I don't understand where the Gaga comparisons are coming from. I guess they're both weird in some sense, but they're completely different genres and by the sounds of it completely different people too.
I would say people make comparisons because Lady Gaga desperately wants to be seen as an "artist" and not a pop star. However, there's a huge disconnect between her image and her music that makes her come across as a poser/wannabe/fraud. Björk is everything Gaga is not, with genuine artistry and innovation behind her image and her music for decades. Without having read much of these comparisons, I'm assuming Björk fans are upset that she doesn't get the mainstream recognition she deserves, and Gaga fans are upset when she is called out on her bullshit marketing. It makes me think of the Nicki Minaj and Lil' Kim feud - the inspiration Gaga takes from Björk (among many others) is so obvious, right down to her Alexander McQueen obsession, yet it never seems to be acknowledged. I'll agree that musical comparisons between them are pointless, they are not on the same level at all.

Anyway, I'm very excited about Biophilia after being disappointed by most of Volta. I'm avoiding the low quality leaks, but "Crystalline" is good. And if there's any single thing or person who can make me buy an iPad, it's Björk. Hail to the queen, praise her light, snatching wigs since 1977, your faves could never, etc.

Pretty excited to hear the HQ album after hearing the shit quality YT

I think this quote from the review of the festival sums up one difference between Gaga and Bjork...
Played out as avant-garde multi-platform shock and awe, her songs, at the cellular level, are ultimately concerned with love, generosity and wonderment.

Vespertine Live at the Royal Opera House should be required viewing for any Bjork fan.

The DVD in full 5.1 surround is so good.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I fucking love Bjork. We saw her on the "Post" tour at Belvoir Ampitheatre in Perth, out in the open surrounded by trees. Amazing, amazing show. Caught her recently at the Big Day Out too, where she blew our faces off with an amazing performance of Army of Me with this crazy laser show.

All her albums are amazing, though I wasn't a fan of Volta aside from a few tracks - Crystalline sounds really promising for this one.

As for the Gaga/Bjork comparisons - I enjoy both, but Bjork is on a whole other level. A whole other planet. They're not even comparable. I'm going to go listen to Hunter now.

Mononofu

http://www.dazeddigital.com/music/article/10815/1/dazed--confused-august-issue-bj%C3%B6rk-guest-edit

dazed.jpg

The 200th issue of Dazed & Confused is on sale this Thursday 7 July, and the magazine celebrates this publishing milestone by inviting Björk to guest-edit the entire issue and "show us the future". Dazed editor Rod Stanley meets her at her home in New York to find out all about her remarkable new album and "app suite" Biophilia, currently making its performance debut in Manchester. Also in the issue, she presents many of the scientists, designers, programmers, musicologists and artists that inspired and created the project. The cover is exclusively revealed here, from the stunning shoot by artist Sam Falls, and styled by Katy England. Accelerate!

I wish I could get my hands on this issue.

Too lazy to look right now, but for those who are in the know more so than I am, does anyone know who produced the album? I don't think it was Mark Bell this time around.

Mononofu

Gaylord Sweetwood said:
Too lazy to look right now, but for those who are in the know more so than I am, does anyone know who produced the album? I don't think it was Mark Bell this time around.

According to Wikipedia it's 16bit but from what I understand here that's a different project altogether.

Cosmogony app preview

My favorite track so far along with Mutual core.

okno

Fell in loooove with "Crystalline" the moment I heard it, and am now checking out the YouTube videos and, good lord, the goosebumps I'm getting are unreal. My excitement for this album is astronomical. I've been a life-long fan of hers (grew up just a few blocks from her), and this looks like a wonderful return to form after the trash that was Volta. From what I've heard, it sounds like a fantastic cross between Homogenic and Medulla.

Wow, even listening to a low quality recording of her performing Mutual Core live, I still got chills from the breakdown. My body and iPad are ready! I want it NOW.

Thanks for all the links Mono. That interview was cool (David Attenborough!). and I might order that issue of Dazed & Confused (you can order it from the Back Issues page, and they seem to deliver worldwide).

Album is sounding amazing.

Mononofu

Jugendstil said:
Wow, even listening to a low quality recording of her performing Mutual Core live, I still got chills from the breakdown. My body and iPad are ready! I want it NOW.

Same here, sans iPad :\

Naked Snake said:
Thanks for all the links Mono. That interview was cool (David Attenborough!). and I might order that issue of Dazed & Confused (you can order it from the Back Issues page, and they seem to deliver worldwide).

Album is sounding amazing.

You're welcome.
I snuck a peak of that D&C issue online, it goes pretty in depth.

see5harp

A tuning fork for each song? Radiohead is probably like....well we did have the oversized case and the artwork, hey we tried.

see5harp

Wow sorta wish I had brought my iPad to work now. Crystalline app is already available in the Biophillia app. Seems like the entire album will be fully interactive via this app. Bjork is really pushing things forward with this project.

i guess the £6.99 in-app purchase is for all the songs as they come out? sure, i'll spring for that. got the app but half-asleep now so i'll check it in the morning.

see5harp

Crystalline appeared as an in-app purchase for $1.99. I would imagine that each song is $1.99, but it is more than just the song. This is the description in the app for Crystalline:

"'crystalline' is an innovative interactive experience designed by bjork to explore the similarities between musical and spatial relationships simultaneously music composition, animation, game, and educational tool. 'Crystalline' allows you to learn about the song's structure. at the start of the interactive game a crystal seed floats through tunnels, scraping crystals of other colors from the tunnel's walls to it as you move through tunnels, while choosing your own route through the song by tilting the screen to enter the tunnel of your choice.

you can save, edit and playback your routes through the song and share the unique crystals you make with others. 'crystalline' contains bjork's song as an interactive musical game, an animation and scrolling music notation, which provide novel ways to experience music's spatial relationships. a written analysis explores bjork's ideas and traces the relationship between musical and crystal structures. 'crystalline' is part of bjork's biophilia. a suite of original music and interactive, educational artworks and musical artifacts exploring music, nature and technology.

'cystalline' was created by bjork in collaboration with luc barthelet, developer of the sims, touchpress, creator of the elements app; and bjork's longtime design collaborators m/m (paris)."

There are also a few screen shots which look like vector graphics. I'm probably going to wait until I've gone home and had a beer but this is very cool.

RaidenZR

+1 Love for the lead single but I was totally taken aback when I was playing pool last night and it came on in between Nirvana and George Thorogood.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Naked Snake said:
I still can't believe David Attenborough is on this. Too awesome.
She's a massive Attenborough fan, she even showed up on a documentary about him that aired a few years ago called Attenborough's Greatest Moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom