• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bjork Biophilla |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mononofu

Posted on Last.fm

furtherexploration.jpg

???

AAAARRRRGHHH

what does she see in Timbalame?

But hey, more music is good, I guess. I just hope it doesn't dampen critical reception to the album.

SecretMoblin said:
AAAARRRRGHHH

what does she see in Timbalame?

Yeah, I wonder what she does see in the most innovative and influential music producer in the world!?
Glad the album is getting reworked, a lot of it sounded flat and was, hype aside, actually fairly routine and disappointing...

okno

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Yeah, I wonder what she does see in the most innovative and influential music producer in the world!?
Glad the album is getting reworked, a lot of it sounded flat and was, hype aside, actually fairly routine and disappointing...
Where did she say she's reworking the album? She's releasing an addendum to Biophilia, that's all.

okno said:
Where did she say she's reworking the album? She's releasing an addendum to Biophilia, that's all.
:-(
So was the rumour that the leaked version, that's subsequently been streamed all over the place, was unfinished and is having additional work done to it indeed just a rumour?
I can't put my finger on exactly where I first read that but I've seen it a few times now.....

okno

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
:-(
So was the rumour that the leaked version, that's subsequently been streamed all over the place, was unfinished and is having additional work done to it indeed just a rumour?
I can't put my finger on exactly where I first read that but I've seen it a few times now.....
The rumor is that the version floating around the Internet is not the final mix down, and that the proper release will have a fuller, richer sound. The version that you can snag now does sound a little flat and lacks that snappy production we have all come to expect from Bjork, so it could be true. For the record, I think it sounds phenomenal and just needs a new mix down, so I hope that's true.

okno said:
The rumor is that the version floating around the Internet is not the final mix down, and that the proper release will have a fuller, richer sound. The version that you can snag now does sound a little flat and lacks that snappy production we have all come to expect from Bjork, so it could be true. For the record, I think it sounds phenomenal and just needs a new mix down, so I hope that's true.
Hmm' now I'm glad I haven't rushed to listen to it yet.

Xanadu

Banned
okno said:
it makes sense as the singles sound a lot better than the album songs, compare both crystallines, single rules!

Jake.

have been a huge bjork fan for years - only listened to it through once, but am majorly let down so far. i thought it would be incredible, but nothing has really stuck out to me yet - even volta was better in that regard (intro to earth intruders, dull flame etc).

anaron

Naked Snake said:
Oh man, recommending only 3 songs for her is impossible for me. There are so many masterpieces... Some of my favorites in no particular order (maybe):

(All youtube links, sound quality might be sketchy)
Hyperballad
Pagan Poetry
Venus as a Boy
Possibly Maybe
Human Behaviour
Bachelorette
Unison (Live)
I've Seen it All (with Thom Yorke)
Dull Flame of Desire
All is Full of Love

Bjork isn't a very accessible artist. Her style tends to alienate people at first... I once heard that it's best to experience her albums in chronological order, I followed that advice and it was a smooth heavenly ride.

This is a great Greatest Hits CD: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006F852/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Official Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bjorkdotcom

As brilliant as Bjork is musically, paying attention to the lyrics take the songs to a whole new level.
Perfect list right here.

Xanadu

Banned
Jake. said:
have been a huge bjork fan for years - only listened to it through once, but am majorly let down so far. i thought it would be incredible, but nothing has really stuck out to me yet - even volta was better in that regard (intro to earth intruders, dull flame etc).
if you were a bjork fan you'd know her albums take a while to sink in..one listen? come on man..medulla took me about 10 listened to finally start to see the genius of it

Jake.

Xanadu said:
if you were a bjork fan you'd know her albums take a while to sink in..one listen? come on man..medulla took me about 10 listened to finally start to see the genius of it

can you read? i acknowledged that i only listened to it once and on my first listen i am disappointed. i have been a fan for almost a decade, whilst i'm sure it will grow on me over time it definitely hasn't grabbed me immediately (all of her LP's prior to volta did).

Xanadu

Banned
Jake. said:
can you read? i acknowledged that i only listened to it once and on my first listen i am disappointed. i have been a fan for almost a decade, whilst i'm sure it will grow on me over time it definitely hasn't grabbed me immediately (all of her LP's prior to volta did).
well why did you post if you knew more listens would let it sink in lol

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Xanadu said:
Really? I instantly gravitated to most all of her albums except Volta. I loved Medúlla. Thus far, I enjoy the first two songs of this album, but the rest leave me desiring for more. "Thunderbolt" is <3.

leroidys

Mononofu said:
http://youtu.be/ntoKYJqV01g

Damn the manual looks nice, kinda wish I put out the extra bones for it.

This is the deluxe edition I'm guessing? I can't really find any info on what is in the deluxe.

EDIT: There's that $800 box set thing, but amazon also has this listing for $20.

DERP: Finally found it.

Biophilia is the musical project and eighth full-length studio album from Icelandic singer Bjork. The deluxe edition contains 3 bonus audio tracks and deluxe digipack packaging, with 24 page booklet. Tracklisting as per standard 10 track + 'Hollow' - Original 7 minute version, 'Dark Matter' - with Choir & organ, and 'Nattura'.

Jake.

Xanadu said:
well why did you post if you knew more listens would let it sink in lol

because it was my first impression.

the booklet looks dope - hopefully someone scans it eventually.

okno

anaron said:
So which songs were reworked?
None. That wasn't happening. The leak was a bad mix down, the proper release has the proper mix down, that's it.

Going out right now to buy it! I hvent bought a physical CD in over two years!

I ordered the standard edition off of Amazon, and received the digipack deluxe (with the three bonus tracks) instead. I had no idea there was a deluxe edition. :p
Thanks Amazon.

This album is sooooo good. One of my favorite albums released this year, and one of my favorite Bjork albums- right next to Vespertine. It did take a while for it to "sink in" though.

Also, today was the first time I heard Nattura, FANTASTIC song. Love it.
My favorite songs on the album: Dark Matter (both versions), Hollow (both versions), Thunderbolt, Sacrifice, Mutual Core, Virus, Moon, Solstice. And there isn't one song on the album that I dislike. Seriously. Moon did take a while for me to enjoy though.
I love this woman. She's absolutely incredible.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
This album isn't grabbing me at all after several listens. Seems like Vespertine b-sides, at best.

Verspertine and Medulla were both growers, but they made much better early impressions than Biophilia. This is more like what happened with Volta: listen to a song, and forget it immediately thereafter. :(

Pitchfork, on the whole, is pretty awful -- even if they occasionally have good writers doing reviews. The Medúlla review was quite good, though, and despite the crap review the score for Volta was about right.

What's sad is that there are people who will choose to buy or not buy the album
(or, alternatively, steal or not steal)
based on the review. Plus, Pitchfork has an eerie hold over the "general consensus".

And there's a reason longtime fans love Vespertine: it's great. I just wish Medúlla got half as much love. :-(

Koodo

Banned
I like the album, but I recently listened to Vespertine for the first time and consequently my opinion of Biophilia was drastically lowered. Not because it's different, but just so considerably less wondrous in comparison. Biophilia feels almost sterile even though it's supposed to be the complete opposite (organic, earthy, etc.)

Don't get me started on that mess of an app album.

Anyhow, my faves:

- Crystalline
- Cosmogony
- Mutual Core
- Moon
- Thunderbolt

okno

Vespertine
Homogenic
Medulla
Selma's Songs (technically not an album, but I fucking love it)
Biophilia
Volta

Volta was trash, pure trash. "Earth Intruders" is great, and I do enjoy "Wanderlust", but UGGGH "Declare Independence" is her worst song. I don't understand the love for it in the slightest bit.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I think Volta is typically misunderstood; had it been released after Homogenic, it would have been received quite well. It has a variety of strong, subtle sounds and songs that remind me of that record. However, I don't think it had a ballad.

***​

I didn't want to jump the gun earlier by writing my list but here it is now.
  1. Vespertine
  2. Debut
  3. Medúlla
  4. Post
  5. Homogenic
  6. Volta
  7. Biophilia

I basically ordered it based on songs I like out of the total songs on each album. :p

okno said:
Volta was trash, pure trash. "Earth Intruders" is great, and I do enjoy "Wanderlust", but UGGGH "Declare Independence" is her worst song. I don't understand the love for it in the slightest bit.
It's almost like "Pluto" which isn't bad itself.

okno

hateradio said:
I think Volta is typically misunderstood; had it been released after Homogenic, it would have been received quite well. It has a variety of strong, subtle sounds and songs that remind me of that record. However, I don't think it had a ballad.

***​

I didn't want to jump the gun earlier by writing my list but here it is now.
  1. Vespertine
  2. Debut
  3. Medúlla
  4. Post
  5. Homogenic
  6. Volta
  7. Biophilia

I basically ordered it based on songs I like out of the total songs on each album. :p

It's almost like "Pluto" which isn't bad itself.
I don't necessarily agree, but I see your point. I just found the album to be bizarre and very sparse, in a weird way.

Re: "Declare Independence," I agree. However, "Pluto" is a glorious song. Quite possibly my favorite song of hers. So underrated. "Declare Independence" feels incredibly shallow in comparison.

anaron

I respect and appreciate *tremendously* what she's done with its concept and the arranging, instrumentation is top notch - but while I love select songs on biophillia, I do think it's generally a little...boring. (Though this album could totally grow on me down the line)

^keep listening & watching videos, there's worthwhile stuff from every project she's done

glad she's working with arca for the new album. I'm not going to hold my breath about its potential quality but it's better than fucking timbaland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom