• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bjork Biophilla |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mononofu said:
The real album cover

bjork452_1.jpg

Sexy.

Perfection.

I just downloaded the app. I'm assuming that once all the songs are available, they will update the app so that you can buy all the content in one go?

I would be happy to buy if it gave you the mp3s as well... does it?

Koodo

Banned
Never been a Björk fan, and I didn't initially enjoy Crystalline, but I had a lingering feeling it could grow on me since the production of the song is killer.

And it did, and now everything else that's out from Biophilia has clicked with me as well. So good.

I even went through her back catalogue and discovered the wonders of Homogenic, and I also now pray to her glorious Hyperballad. I considered entering the stan highway, but then I listened to Volta. #oops

Anyhow, Day 1.

andymcc

Banned
Koodo said:
Never been a Björk fan, and I didn't initially enjoy Crystalline, but I had a lingering feeling it could grow on me since the production of the song is killer.

And it did, and now everything else that's out from Biophilia has clicked with me as well. So good.

I even went through her back catalogue and discovered the wonders of Homogenic, and I also now pray to her glorious Hyperballad. I considered entering the stan highway, but then I listened to Volta. #oops

Anyhow, Day 1.
didn't you troll bjork in a gag-gag thread?

Koodo

Banned
andymcc said:
didn't you troll bjork in a gag-gag thread?
If you call a snarky comment about album sales trolling, then yes? (let's not forget the wondrous post it was directed at)

But in reality, I didn't. The troll in that thread is the one with a faded username right now, actually.
a9mn9x.jpg

okno

twinturbo2 said:
It's only two weeks, it's not the end of the world.
It's not? Thank god!

I realize that. My excitement for this album, though, is quite high, and I was really looking forward to hearing it this month. To have to wait longer sucks, a lot, regardless if it's just another two weeks. You really can't fault me for being disappointed, I'm just being dramatic.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
okno said:
It's not? Thank god!

I realize that. My excitement for this album, though, is quite high, and I was really looking forward to hearing it this month. To have to wait longer sucks, a lot, regardless if it's just another two weeks. You really can't fault me for being disappointed, I'm just being dramatic.
:p

Mononofu

My God this album is a masterpiece. A little taken back by how subdued most of the tracks are, Björk relating Biophilla to folk music rather than pop is definitely accurate.

ALSO LOVELY BASS!

Xanadu

Banned
this album is amazing, it took a good few days of listening to properly sink in

i think its her best since vespertine

noah111

Still Alive
Ok, i'm sorry I don't think i've ever heard anything from Bjork before, what is her most popular/best songs? I'm on 3G here so I don't want to waste money streaming too much, I need a top 3.

Pretty sure i've been recommended Bjork on Last.fm before, but I don't think i've ever heard anything...

I feel unready for a new Bjork album! I only listened to Volta and Medulla during the last couple of months (which both turned out to be much better than I prematurely judged them). And I have only listened to Medulla a few times so far... and now Biophilia is here! Bjork overload.

Ain't complaining. She's been my favorite singer the past few years or so. But I feel I should have paced my journey with her albums a little better.

Sentry said:
Ok, i'm sorry I don't think i've ever heard anything from Bjork before, what is her most popular/best songs? I'm on 3G here so I don't want to waste money streaming too much, I need a top 3.

Pretty sure i've been recommended Bjork on Last.fm before, but I don't think i've ever heard anything...

I dunno, I've always felt she was more of an Album artist, but check out Crystalline from the new album

Antagon

16 bit co produced this? The only stuff I've heard from them before this was ridiculously over the top dubstep.

Sentry said:

Oh man, recommending only 3 songs for her is impossible for me. There are so many masterpieces... Some of my favorites in no particular order (maybe):

(All youtube links, sound quality might be sketchy)
Hyperballad
Pagan Poetry
Venus as a Boy
Possibly Maybe
Human Behaviour
Bachelorette
Unison (Live)
I've Seen it All (with Thom Yorke)
Dull Flame of Desire
All is Full of Love

Bjork isn't a very accessible artist. Her style tends to alienate people at first... I once heard that it's best to experience her albums in chronological order, I followed that advice and it was a smooth heavenly ride.

This is a great Greatest Hits CD: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006F852/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Official Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bjorkdotcom

As brilliant as Bjork is musically, paying attention to the lyrics take the songs to a whole new level.

Mononofu

Sentry said:

I say Homogenic is good place to start then for newcomers. I hate recommending individual songs.

Mononofu said:
I say Homogenic is good place to start then for newcomers. I hate recommending individual songs.
Homogenic is also relatively short and is the most cohesive of her "concept" albums -- it's meant to be listened to the whole way through. It's also a healthy mix of more accessible, pop-oriented melodies and experimental electronic instrumentation.

I agree that it's the best place to start for folks who want the most coherent representation of her style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom