• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bjork Biophilla |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
terminallyChill said:
Can't wait, but I still need to get around to listening to Medulla and Volta first.

Same here! I've been putting them off because I still haven't gotten my fill of her earlier albums, and from what little I heard of these two I didn't find them too accessible. Although I checked out Wanderlust yesterday after someone mentioned it on the previous page, and I absolutely loved it.

Jake.

terminallyChill said:
Can't wait, but I still need to get around to listening to Medulla and Volta first.

this doesn't even make sense. you 'can't wait', yet you haven't even heard two of her LP's?

Majine

Banned
I have a wierd relation to Björk. Some of her stuff is absolutely gorgeous (Hyperballad, All is Full of Love, Frosti), while alot else is just too crazy for my taste.

Jake. said:
this doesn't even make sense. you 'can't wait', yet you haven't even heard two of her LP's?
Oh, I dunno. Maybe i've heard four of her other albums which i've enjoyed, so i'm looking forward to her next? Make sense yet?

anyone know why there's a "pre-order" in-app purchase listed on the itunes page, but is nowhere to be found in the app itself? i want to buy crystalline, but i'll want to buy all of the tunes, so am waiting til they let me pay the bundle price!

Meh, not a fan of that video.

Doesn't mean I'm not gonna pimp it on my facebook though :p

Edit: Holy shit @ omar souleyman remix... mind blown.

okno

To be frank, that video is awful. I love the two of them and I've loved everything the two have done together, but hot damn that was just bad. It's low budget in the worst of ways and it's far too literal.

Whatevs, the song still kicks ass.

see5harp

patrickthehedgehog said:
Loved the video. Reminds me of Hyperballad which is one of my favorite Bjork videos!

I will agree with some of the posters in that it seems a little sparse, especially the parts with the "projection" in a jar thing, but overall I think it's pretty awesome. It's not like Lady Gaga or Britney are ever going to release something like this with a debut single.

Yoshiya

BenjaminBirdie said:
Really bummed the iPad edish doesn't have THE SICKEST JUNGLE BREAKDOWN EVAH in "Crystalline". That is the sickest shit Bjork ever did.
I was disappointed in that too. I think it's really central to the song, or at least the way I perceive it now given that mix was the initial release.

Mononofu

BudokaiMR2 said:
So good! I just bumped across this.

I can't believe Lady Gaga gets mentioned in a Bjork thread. Is this normal on GAF!?

I don't want to live in a world where the two get compared. I DON'T WANNA!

That trend is larger than GAF.

I've heard Zola Jesus referred to as a hipster Lady Gaga :\

Mononofu

Biophilia ultimate edition boxset pics

bjork-biophilia-the-ultimate-edition-boxset-1.jpg

bjork-biophilia-the-ultimate-edition-boxset-2.jpg

bjork-biophilia-the-ultimate-edition-boxset-3.jpg

bjork-biophilia-the-ultimate-edition-boxset-4.jpg

see5harp

Holy shit that is badass. I was expecting something a bit more glorious for the price though. Like tuning forks encased in a glass music box with a drop of Bjork's tears suspended in crystal or something.

Natetan

Nemesis556 said:
I don't understand where the Gaga comparisons are coming from.

basically people only remember bjork for wearing a swan dress to grammies, ie dressing up in strange clothes to make a statement.

so the mainstream takes one instance in bjorks whole career where she did something like that, and compare it to another singer they know who baiscally does that full time.

they're not similar otherwise.

i loved bjork through vespertine. she's lost me since then, but her other albums before (bjork, post, and homogenic, and selmasongs to a small extent) are all great.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I love the image that starts off that NY Times article.

BJORK-articleLarge.jpg

The lady to the left is clearly not into it, and the Queen Bee is all "hello Cleveland!"

I smell Photoshop material!

see5harp said:
Holy shit that is badass. I was expecting something a bit more glorious for the price though. Like tuning forks encased in a glass music box with a drop of Bjork's tears suspended in crystal or something.

I'd buy that.

Damn Virus is awesome!
Bjork is a friggin genius, I just read this on Wikipedia (though it's probably common knowledge on here by now):

Every song has a subtitle, announced live at the Manchester International Festival performances. While some subtitles refer to the physical phenomena related to the song, others may refer to musical resources also related to those physical phenomena.

1. Moon (Lunar cycles, sequences)
2. Thunderbolt (Lightning, arpeggios)
3. Crystalline (Structure)
4. Cosmogony (Music of the Spheres, equilibrium)
5. Dark Matter (Scales)
6. Hollow (DNA, rhythm)
7. Virus (Generative music)
8. Sacrifice (Man and Nature, notation)
9. Mutual Core (Tectonic plates, core)
10. Solstice (Gravity, counterpoint)

Judging from the samples, Biophilia sounds like a combination of Medulla, Vespertine and Homogenic.

I can't wait to hear Mutual Core and Thunderbolt.

GhaleonQ said:
http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/8019-bjork-15-years

I feel slightly gross saying this about a pop musician, but Bjork's inspiring to me. She's always been really intelligent and admirable as a person, but now her perspective as a "grand old dame" of music lets her say incisive things about the scene.

That the music hasn't suffered from that is great too, I suppose.
I love interviews with Bjork. She's so quirky and eccentric, you're fascinated.

Mato

Virus is beautiful

thinking of buying a physical copy of this album, last album I bought was Volta I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom