• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Adam - Review Thread

WoodyStare

What a mess. The editing is all over the place, DC is once again cramming in way too many characters, and the kid delivers one of the worst performances I’ve seen in years. His narration at the beginning of the film is unintentionally hilarious.

It was entertaining enough otherwise for the first hour or so, but at one point it felt like the film was about to end and then they tacked on a random 30 minute climax with an awful villain and another portal in the sky summoning an army. I still can’t believe they ended this with the generic “who are you/what should we call you?” ending, but considering the quality of the film in general I suppose it’s fitting.

Other than Aquaman 2 and The Batman 2, not really interested in what DC is doing so far. I’m slightly more optimistic with James Gunn now in charge though.

Last edited:

ShinFuYux

I just saw the movie.

Terrible.

So, both Shazam and the black Adam story are based on the new 52 comic. Shazam was good because they tried to follow the story as close as they could but... without the introduction of black adam.

They seriously tried to do the same with black Adam but completely ran out of source material so they made up the rest of the story.

Black Adam failed because they tried to make two movies out of one story. They clearly wanted to ride on Dwayne's presence to make them money. But completely botched the whole story.

They should've kept Shazam and black Adam together as one story like in the comic.

4/10 - cool visuals, some nice 20 second action scenes and seeing Superman for 10 seconds was cool. Fuck the rest of that movie!

Esca

Just finished it. What a fucking turd. I wanted to turn it off half way through but ignited my instincts lie a fool and watched this rest of this crap movie.

Amiga

Profitable!

https://deadline.com/2022/12/dwayne-johnson-black-adam-box-office-profit-1235191135/

Black-Adam-Chart.png

What a mess. The editing is all over the place, DC is once again cramming in way too many characters, and the kid delivers one of the worst performances I’ve seen in years. His narration at the beginning of the film is unintentionally hilarious.

It was entertaining enough otherwise for the first hour or so, but at one point it felt like the film was about to end and then they tacked on a random 30 minute climax with an awful villain and another portal in the sky summoning an army. I still can’t believe they ended this with the generic “who are you/what should we call you?” ending, but considering the quality of the film in general I suppose it’s fitting.

Other than Aquaman 2 and The Batman 2, not really interested in what DC is doing so far. I’m slightly more optimistic with James Gunn now in charge though.

When he uttered the first few lines, I thought it was some kind of a joke. Like maybe it's going to stop soon and there'll be a mature older guy narrating further.
Walking out the theatre while talking to my partner, I couldn't stop thinking about how horrible that was.

To this day that part still fucks me up. What a mess it is. Just like the opposite of an erection (whatever the fuck that's called).

Last edited:

Amiga

338 million to make this bullshit? Jesus, they thought this was gonna sell like a Marvel movie huh.
Production started pre-COVID and they expected the china market. Performance was good enough to start talks for a sequel. Next movie should adjust the budget to new the market reality.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Just watched this and went in with very, very low expectations. I generally feel burnt out and fatigued by Marvel's relentless output and have only watched a few superhero movies over the last few years.

...and I thought it was ok to be honest. I thought it was too long, rolled my eyes a little at how many things were the same as in hundreds of other movies, but it was generally enjoyable imo.

I enjoyed it much more than other superhero films I've seen over the last couple of years (but less than Spiderman).

FunkMiller

Production started pre-COVID and they expected the china market. Performance was good enough to start talks for a sequel. Next movie should adjust the budget to new the market reality.

This aged well. Much like The Rock’s ‘creative’ accounting.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Saw the movie yesterday. It was shit. Granted, if you're someone who likes shit loads of action scenes and a superhero movie that involves 99% CGI at any given time, you'll probably like it.

- Messy overdeveloped plot making Black Adam bad guy, good guy, he's a liar, he's not that bad because of his family and son etc... Turns out the human villain planned the whole demon process in a clever way
- I dont follow encyclopedias of superheros, so I didn't know who any of these Justice League characters are (not even Black Adam), but they are shit. Black Adam is the best one, but Hawk dude, the Pearce Brosnan guy, and the two young sidekick heroes are all dumb as hell. No wonder nobody brought them up until now. The Black chick superhero with the wind powers seems exactly like the Forspoken game character
- Like every superhero movie, you got a god like figure who cant be killed (Black Adam), but a million soldiers with guns still think they can kill him with assault rifles and hand grenades. You know the scene I'm talking about. The charater stands there and you see jeeps and helicopters coming at him from a distance. Similar to Godzilla movies. You know they'll all get thrashed in minutes.
- The kid is annoying at the beginning, but less so later in the movie as you barely see him later on
- The mom is the best character. She's annoying throughout the whole movie, but milfy hot...... (tip: I googled her to see who she is and there's leaked nude pics of her from her iCloud account)
- The final scenes are retarded. You got all these ultra strong impossible to kill characters all kicking the shit out of each other and out of nowhere Hawk guy impales demon dude with a steel pipe. The first thing I thought of was Commando except the pipe Hawk guy used has a much smaller diameter. And the civilians doing mob justice on zombies was hilariously bad even though it was supposed to be a serious scene. Demon boss rises zombie warriors out of the dirt to attack the city and suddenly the kid gets them all to follow his lead and attack the zombies with pipes and sticks. You'd think they'd all be freaked out at a city thats been destroyed by superheroes fighting and undead skeleton zombies coming out of the ground. But they all rally together in 30 seconds to attack them like a coordinated attack team because a 14 year old with a skateboard tells them to

1/5.

Amiga

I was partially responding to your claim that the film was profitable. Something that has been very much proved to be incorrect.
That story has more to it. And even if it is true the issues would about the production management not the good/bad of the film. I see no point for me to dig into it more. That is a problem for WB.
WB should at least take from this film that the extended universe beyond the JLA have value and make them part of the plans.

Bragr

Banned
Was this the movie that killed the DC universe? do you think the reboot would have happened if it was a huge success?

FunkMiller

Was this the movie that killed the DC universe? do you think the reboot would have happened if it was a huge success?

If it had succeeded, I doubt James Gunn would have the power he so clearly has. The Rock would have had more influence, because he would have proved the DCEU was still a viable money making thing. It failed, so any argument he, or any DCEU fans had, died there and then.

Amiga

The problems were from the production side. It did good as far as ticket numbers in this cinema economy.

Reboot was going to happen anyway. Gunn just wants to erase the Snyderverse.

Alcibiades

I think of this had done a billion there might have been pressure for a sequel. But even if this had been turned a profit in box office and made decent money for WB, it would not be enough to save the DCEU.

I think the bigger factor is the Batman v Superman and Justice League movies bombing, and then WW84 bombing as well. Black Adam is too obscure a character to make major decisions off its box office performance.

Watched this tonight. It was a waste a time.

This would've been an alright superhero film 15 years ago, but i's 2022. Hundreds of comic book films have come out. The last thing we need is another by-the-numbers, story-by-committee, focused tested to all hell generic superhero origin story with gobs and gobs of sloppy CGI. Ugh.

Glad James Gunn killed it. Lets see some less risk-averse projects by filmmakers that actually have a unique voice. Even if some fail, at least it's interesting. Give me more The Suicide Squad, Joker, The Batman, and hell, even Birds of Prey over this generic lowest common denominator shit.

Top Bottom