• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Black characters on an animated show should be played by black actors" Jenny Slate exits Big Mouth in latest virtue signaling effort

Nymphae

Banned
They turned Peter gay for an episode.

I like the show but haven't seen it in a while. I'm assuming any current gay jokes are more laughing with than laughing at. Even something as tame as the episode of the Simpsons where Homer is apprehensive about Bart being gay after spending time with Big Gay John is a complete no go in this culture now, they couldn't air that today.

Stouffers

Banned
I like the show but haven't seen it in a while. I'm assuming any current gay jokes are more laughing with than laughing at. Even something as tame as the episode of the Simpsons where Homer is apprehensive about Bart being gay after spending time with Big Gay John is a complete no go in this culture now, they couldn't air that today.
They can and do air that now. Pretty sure Smithers is still played for “laughs.”
“Laughs” in parenthesis because modern Simpsons is absolute shit.

What's an example of a recent one?
James cordon's sing along karaoke.

Peter says "I've just come from a devil's three way, that's a threesome with two guys. Is this a taxi?"

Jc says "no this is sing along karaoke"

Peter replies "Ohh that's gay. Pull over here so I can get out and have sex with that man"

Nymphae

Banned
They can and do air that now. Pretty sure Smithers is still played for “laughs.”
“Laughs” in parenthesis because modern Simpsons is absolute shit.

They still air it, but for how long I wonder. I'm saying that episode would never be written today. I think there was a subsequent "gay episode" that IIRC even the LGBT community said was just straight up pandering because it's just Homer going around doing a bunch of stereotypically gay things to display wokeness or something. Smithers's gayness was never really played for laughs I don't feel, more just there was humour in him attempting to hide it constantly despite overwhelming evidence.

Stouffers

Banned
They still air it, but for how long I wonder. I'm saying that episode would never be written today. I think there was a subsequent "gay episode" that IIRC even the LGBT community said was just straight up pandering because it's just Homer going around doing a bunch of stereotypically gay things to display wokeness or something. Smithers's gayness was never really played for laughs I don't feel, more just there was humour in him attempting to hide it constantly despite overwhelming evidence.
So there’s humor in the internal struggle of a scared closeted gay person?

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm still waiting for Big Mouth to get cancelled for the depiction of underage nudity. How they got away with that is amazing.

This smells like preemptive damage control for something else. I can just feel the other shoe hanging in the air.

I'm waiting for "overweight animated characters should be voiced by overweight voice actors" as the final evolution of this pokemon :p

cormack12

Gold Member
Retweets please

giphy.gif

Ah, when white far-left virtue-signaling liberals take offense on black people's behalf yet probably don't speak to a single one in their day-to-day nor never consult any outside of far-left virtue-signaling black liberal friends and celebrities (y)

Was this show ever even any good? The premise just seemed SO idiotic. Western "adult animation", folks; I miss the Aeon Fluxes, MAXXes, and Spawns. Those were the real Western adult animations but as usual Western studios got lazy and took the cheap road instead.

I would argue the races are already seperated along along racial lines in the area of neighborhoods and schools.

In diverse states like California, high performing schools in the suburbs are majority White while low performing schools in the innercities are majority black and brown. Needless to say, majority black and brown schools are glorified babysitting institutions, producing barely math and english literate high school graduates.

Home buyers are increasingly choosing neighborhoods based on the surrounding schools, and Whites are choosing to go to White neighborhoods for a better education for the children.

Funnily enough some of the most intense clashes from these recent BLM protests between them and other groups have been in California of all places.

But yeah, everything listed here is true, but it's been done that way by design. I've been watching documentaries on building projects, seeing why they were originally created and when, and for what purposes. One common trend in all of them is, if you look at places like New York and the NYCHA, they literally cripple maintenance on those buildings to control costs being as low as possible, those things are almost set up as prey for low-income tenets who usually end up being black and Latino families through public housing. The NYCHA gets government kickbacks for keeping housing units occupied, but don't really give two shits to provide adequate maintenance services on the units.

There's also been studies on how the architectural stylings of those project units may not have been for the best; the French guy who kept pushing for them was rejected multiple times by French housing committees due to those designs. Dunno how the white low-income and working-class families (whom the housing projects were initially built for, in some ways as government welfare due to the Great Depression in providing adequate yet affordable housing, and also to provide living locations near factories particularly for WWII products manufacturing) felt living in those places in their prime.

That said, there's a common pattern that when white families moved out from those places to the suburbs, black and Latino families were generally relocated there to fill the vacancies, but simultaneously upkeep and management maintenance of the units also decayed. Combine that with the already questionable architectural aesthetic designs of many housing projects (cold mechanical color, extremely compact living quarters, not much exposure for natural blue skies and green scenery which is important for mental well-being etc.), that explains in a good chunk why they deteriorated the way they did.

Knowing the housing communities are set up the way they are in places like California is of no surprise; you'll see it a lot in other Democrat-controlled locations across the countries like Chicago for example. They're largely responsible for enabling the poor living conditions in a lot of those neighborhoods low-income minority families generally get boxed into, but they don't actually want to address real solutions in fixing them back up, which would be a matter of adequate funding. Though those neighborhoods are usually also infested with rivaling gangs, and there is a precedent (wrongly so) of people there to not cooperate with police in getting the gangs busted. Fear might be a reason but at the same time the police kinda do need cooperation from the good people there if they really want that stuff to clean up.

Granted, with the recent events of letting criminals out early due to COVID-19, and knowing the criminals are generally going to be pushed to the same low-income housing project neighborhoods the non-criminals are at, and that it's set up that way on purpose (for various reasons)...yeah it's a shitty situation for decent people in those areas no doubt.

Last edited:
Heavy Metal movie and magazine kick ass too. Aeon Flux and The Maxx were incredible, it's depressing when you think about what happened to animation in general. Disney won't even touch the stuff anymore.

I need to rewatch Heavy Metal sometime; some people don't seem to enjoy the 2000 version as much but hey, it was one of my first times seeing TnA in an animated work so can't complain.

LOVE the Aeon Flux shorts; Peter Chung doesn't get enough respect for those. The TV show was quite good IMO too, although I know there's people who strongly prefer the shorts over the episodes. And FWIW even the live-action movie is kinda fun; a lot was changed from the animated version and it can't compete with those at all, but for a cyberpunk action flick with a female in there it was pretty neat.

She still should've had the outfit from the animated series though, that's iconic.

Nymphae

Banned
I need to rewatch Heavy Metal sometime; some people don't seem to enjoy the 2000 version as much but hey, it was one of my first times seeing TnA in an animated work so can't complain.

Yeah FAKK 2000 wasn't nearly as good as the original but it was still fun. I prefer the anthology setup of the first one and a lot of the stories are just very memorable, the hard boiled futuristic detective, the scrawny nerd who becomes a chiseled adonis on another world (voiced by John Candy), the zombie airplane one, the coke snorting aliens, the final story with the last of the Taarakians and the amazing music, I love it all.

Animation seems so boring and rote nowadays. 3D models have never had teh same visual punch to me as amazing animation skill & technique. I watched the special features for Heavy Metal last year and was blown away at how they did the scenes in the last vignette of the landscape as the woman flies high above the land. Amazing stuff:

They actually built a landscape model, then painted it entirely black. They painted all of the edges and shit with white lines, filmed a flyover, and then inverted that video to get black lines. Bring back traditional animation ffs.

LOVE the Aeon Flux shorts; Peter Chung doesn't get enough respect for those. The TV show was quite good IMO too, although I know there's people who strongly prefer the shorts over the episodes. And FWIW even the live-action movie is kinda fun; a lot was changed from the animated version and it can't compete with those at all, but for a cyberpunk action flick with a female in there it was pretty neat.

Yeah I prefer the shorts, adding the narrative in was....fine I guess? But it was so much more special when there was no voices at all and everything needed to be figured out contextually. This one is my favourite. The creativity and skill in the first 30 seconds of this surpasses anything I've seen in decades tbh:

I need to check out the live action, it looks horrific tbh but I should at least give it a chance because it's one of my favourite IPs.

Last edited:

Stouffers

Banned
Kristen Bell doing the same with Central Park.

Bobs Burgers is also “problematic:” Marshmallow is voiced by a white guy. Darrel is black, but voiced by an Indian. Several women are voiced by MEN. Several trans are voiced by straight white men. It’s a real shit show and should be cancelled immediately. Like right. fucking. now.
Femshocked.jpg

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I wonder if the downstream result is less diversity on screen to avoid a shitshow hiring process for VA, writers, animators, etc. I get the intent to muscle in on established white dominated properties instead of creating ground up BIPOC enterprises but I think this will backfire spectacularly and we will go back to white cishet characters.

As for the future of animation, what do you guys think of that Amazon show "Undone". Essentially rotoscoped actors but it allowed for seamless trippy visuals on what appears to be a tight budget. Could be an interesting way forward, especially if they need to green screen everything and socially distance actors for covid.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
This one I 100% agree with cos this lady was just on that cringeworthy video where celebs say “I take responsibility” and lol her lily white ass was playing a mixed race character.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I was banned from Era (3 months) for saying a famous biracial passes as white.
USA will never get over their racism problem until they stop believing in the "one drop of blood" rule.
Your first mistake was posting on ERA. Are you talking about Megan Markle? Because yeah, she does.

Mihos

Gold Member
Better make character creation screens automatically enforce selected character voice based on color pallet, or NO BUY

Yeah FAKK 2000 wasn't nearly as good as the original but it was still fun. I prefer the anthology setup of the first one and a lot of the stories are just very memorable, the hard boiled futuristic detective, the scrawny nerd who becomes a chiseled adonis on another world (voiced by John Candy), the zombie airplane one, the coke snorting aliens, the final story with the last of the Taarakians and the amazing music, I love it all.

Animation seems so boring and rote nowadays. 3D models have never had teh same visual punch to me as amazing animation skill & technique. I watched the special features for Heavy Metal last year and was blown away at how they did the scenes in the last vignette of the landscape as the woman flies high above the land. Amazing stuff:

They actually built a landscape model, then painted it entirely black. They painted all of the edges and shit with white lines, filmed a flyover, and then inverted that video to get black lines. Bring back traditional animation ffs.

Yeah I prefer the shorts, adding the narrative in was....fine I guess? But it was so much more special when there was no voices at all and everything needed to be figured out contextually. This one is my favourite. The creativity and skill in the first 30 seconds of this surpasses anything I've seen in decades tbh:

I need to check out the live action, it looks horrific tbh but I should at least give it a chance because it's one of my favourite IPs.

John Candy did VA work for Heavy Metal? Huh, wow pretty cool of him actually, that probably never crossed my mind seeing it way back when.

Stuff like Heavy Metal, Aeon Flux and others from that time were really something else, it's shameful how Western animation produced now, by and large, has nothing on them. I always get miffed by people who say Avatar was the first "serious" Western animation because their only exposure to non-comedy animation is probably anime which of course is awesome itself, but it just goes to show how much Western animation failed in keeping up the variety. Even works like Avatar are very rare; you get mediocre wannabes like the new She-Ra that are a flash in the pan.

But yeah, if there were more mature Western animations like Aeon Flux, Heavy Metal etc. that would be awesome. Unfortunately no works like those would get major network funding now; not just because of associated costs but they'd probably be considered to "problematic" now. This modern over-sensitive SJW culture is infuriating for genuine creativity.

This one I 100% agree with cos this lady was just on that cringeworthy video where celebs say “I take responsibility” and lol her lily white ass was playing a mixed race character.

Oh she was on that pathetic shame finger-wagging video? I actually forgot about her appearance, it was one of the more subdued ones (if that's even possible!).

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
John Candy did VA work for Heavy Metal? Huh, wow pretty cool of him actually, that probably never crossed my mind seeing it way back when.

Yep, John Candy, Joe Flaherty, Harold Ramis, and Eugene Levy all did voice work in that. Wikipedia describes it as a Canadian adult animated sci-fi fantasy lol

Top Bottom