• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Clover manga gets anime adaptation by Studio Pierrot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still cant get past the first few pages of chapter 1. One of the most blandest starts to a manga ive ever read. The writing or atleast translations are insanely mediocre.

The rankings have gotten better though so im willing to give the anime a shot. Jump really needs a new breakout hit with MHA and Soma only being around Mid Tier series in sales.

Cwarrior

if it's incredible intellegent shounen that's not afraid to do it's own thing like World trigger am 100% down(best shounen to come out since Hunter x hunter).

if it's uninspired crap like my hero academia then count me out.

Well if it's at least entertaining without being predictable I'll check it out.

Nightbird

The worst thing that Black Clover does is it does nothing special.

Every plot point feels like you've read it somewhere before.

If you have no problem with that, BC can be quite enjoyable.

Gotcha. Yeah I personally would have thought you meant everything in Shounen Jump right now.

even then its pretty dire

They have One Piece, My Hero Academia and Promised Neverland.

I'm sure the Haikyu and Gintama manga are good but I only watch those. Soma has been middling to bad for a while.

Also Hunter x Hunter but lol HxH. Not counting Neverland, the last WSJ entree that I liked was MHA. Like Demon's Plan is just ughhhhh

Guess I'm in the minority thinking that Black Clover is great. Aside from My Hero Academy, it has been the only new series vying for the most action packed first 100 chapters I can think of.

Can't wait to see it in action...

Meffer

The problem I see with Neverland is that the story makes like it'll end soon with a definite end. That's just how the story is. But considering its in Jump they'll want to keep it going. They can't just keep this game of cat and mouse in this situation forever, and if they escape what'll be next? Will it shift to action?

The problem I see with Neverland is that the story makes like it'll end soon with a definite end. That's just how the story is. But considering its in Jump they'll want to keep it going. They can't just keep this game of cat and mouse in this situation forever, and if they escape what'll be next? Will it shift to action?

I joke about it turning into a battle shonen
it will
but theres plenty of mystery being built up about the outside

Read the first chapter and the latest chapter (it's what I do) and...it does seem pretty generic. The first chapter had a bit more going for it, but the latest chapter didn't really make me want to read the series to figure out what the hell was going on.

I like Black Clover it's a fun read

yeah i think so too, even if it is a little generic, nothing can be more generic than Fairy Tale (which i still also read lol)

so is this a series, or a one off thing? the art and animation looked nice in that trailer, even the cgi didn't look that bad

Square-Enix isn't going to fund an anime remake of Soul Eater when the manga has been finished for several years. There's nothing to promote. (Unless it gets a live-action movie.)
It finished 3 years ago, also why did FMA get a remake? Was it still ongoing at the time? Legitimately curious, because I'd probably sell both my kidneys and a leg if it meant we got Soul Eater proper.

It finished 3 years ago, also why did FMA get a remake? Was it still ongoing at the time? Legitimately curious, because I'd probably sell both my kidneys and a leg if it meant we got Soul Eater proper.

Yes, it was. FMA Brotherhood aired at the same time the FMA manga was wrapping up, so it made sense as a cross-media promotional vehicle.

Chase17

The first fma was concurrent with the manga, getting ahead of it at and having some differences/doing their own thing due to that. Brotherhood was adapted just following the manga.

Edit: ^oh misunderstood and post above explains it

yeah i think so too, even if it is a little generic, nothing can be more generic than Fairy Tale (which i still also read lol)

so is this a series, or a one off thing? the art and animation looked nice in that trailer, even the cgi didn't look that bad

The trailer is for a special which was shown at Jump Festa, which was animated by Xebec. I wouldn't expect the TV anime series to look exactly like that (see also: Assassination Classroom Jump Festa special vs. TV).

Otaku Coder

Neo Member
Is Straighten Up never gonna get released in English? I loved the three chapters they put in the English Jump but they didn't pick it up :(

I'm sorry that I couldn't give you confirmation bias.

????????

Is Straighten Up never gonna get released in English? I loved the three chapters they put in the English Jump but they didn't pick it up :(

I don't think it's very likely, sadly. Whenever I've looked at JP sales it only does around 20-30K per volume, so it's something of a niche hit. (That, and how many localized dancing manga can you name?)

Great series, otherwise. Character chemistry's on-point and the artstyle's very fun.

Raynes

One day?

latest

image.php

Youll get a Fire Force anime instead. (the artists newest work).
That does look cool but I feel the concept is a lot more limited than Soul Eater. But man it makes me so sad that we'll probably never get a proper adaptation. I loved the anime but the stuff in the manga (or the bits I read) were a lot cooler than the anime.

But at least we're getting FLCL parts 2 and 3

Now I'm even more upset.
Square Enix why.

It's super weird.

Soul Eater was great, very unique world and art style and great characters.

Fire Force is just...bland with awful characters, an okay premise that goes to shit very quick and a super fan-servicey treatment of women.

The main girl's "funny character quirk" is literally that she clumsily falls boobs or crotch first into everyone's hands or faces all the time. And her costume is a bra.

It's super weird.

Soul Eater was great, very unique world and art style and great characters.

Fire Force is just...bland with awful characters, an okay premise that goes to shit very quick and a super fan-servicey treatment of women.

The main girl's "funny character quirk" is literally that she clumsily falls boobs or crotch first into everyone's hands or faces all the time. And her costume is a bra.
I'm really not sure what happened. Because Soul Eater Not was the exact same way and pretty terrible.

So that and fire force, especially the former even getting an anime is salt in the wound.

Soul Eater Not was my biggest drop from incredible excitement to depressed disappointment.
I feel you. Was super super excited when I heard there would be more soul eater and then I started reading it and it was tropey slice of life with boring MCs. Everything felt wrong and it didn't really feel like it belonged in the same series.
I'm glad Soul Eater is done though, I never did finish reading it but considering what they've doing now I'm glad they're not touching it anymore.

if it's incredible intellegent shounen that's not afraid to do it's own thing like World trigger am 100% down(best shounen to come out since Hunter x hunter).

if it's uninspired crap like my hero academia then count me out.

Well if it's at least entertaining without being predictable I'll check it out.

I love how you always show up with that huge bitterness regarding MHA. Did horikoshi kill your dog or something?
The last thing you can say about My Hero is "being uninspired", tbh. I'd agree if you think it still needs some kind of huge breakout arc, but many people would argue against that, specially with S2 coming in april.

Ray Down

Banned

Despite my avatar being Rukia, I think Bleach is a pile of shit and so is its last arc.

-FMA Brotherhood happened as the manga was finishing.
-First anime series was radically different then the manga.

and finally FMA is alot more popular, unlike Soul it stayed popular and relevant after its anime. FMA was an extremely popular manga up there with the best selling manga at the time while being a monthly manga. Before AoT it was the best selling monthly series ay 65 million but is still the best in Shōnen Gangan same magazine that Soul eater ran in and only sold last I heard about 20.

Despite my avatar being Rukia, I think Bleach is a pile of shit and so is its last arc.

-FMA Brotherhood happened as the manga was finishing.
-First anime series was radically different then the manga.

and finally FMA is alot more popular, unlike Soul it stayed popular and relevant after its anime. FMA was an extremely popular manga up there with the best selling manga at the time while being a monthly manga. Before AoT it was the best selling monthly series ay 65 million but is still the best in Shōnen Gangan same magazine that Soul eater ran in and only sold last I heard about 20.

After about episode 25 or something the story of the anime and manga are incredibly different which is another reason I'd like to see it done properly and too completion. (Though both are good)

Mik317

this was one of the more bland manga I have ever read.

I couldn't help but see the comparisons to other series. The main protag is just Naruto (but not even the fun parts of Naruto.) the "rival" is the most bland gldk wonderkin ever, and the main squad wasn't promising at all.

I am not one to call something out for being derivative...but holy crap.

A.J.

Banned
Oh, no worries. The glimpses I've taken in Viz's WSJ didn't seem very interesting to me.
That's fair. I would say it's not a series that grips you immediately, but one that grips you over the long term. Ashihara takes his time and the series benefits for it. Basically it's more of a tortoise than a hare. If that isn't your thing then that is fine. Also it's a series that gets better everytime you reread it.

Why can't we like, get a remake of Soul Eater rather than another generic anime.
I would be ok if it didn't get another adaptation if it ended with the Mangas Yaga Babas Castle arc with a "to be continued in the manga" instead of what we got. I was looking so forward to more kilik and the final Black Star vs Mifune fight:(.
Youll get a Fire Force anime instead. (the artists newest work).
I hope so, started reading it and I like it... but I admit that it doesn't have a hook to the story and that people might not like how the powers work. Me personally, I love that everyone has the same powers but used in different ways and as always the art is great. As for Tamaki/Maka 2.0 I don't mind her look but I do hope she actually does something instead of just being fanservice.

Raynes

That's a pretty nasty thing to say for someone who uses a Bleach character as their avatar. Bleach isn't a great anime and the ending was bad, but I can think of many things which made it stand out: great character designs, concepts (arrancar, quincy, vizard) and music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom