• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black College Football Experience - announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
M3wThr33 said:
I'm not a big sports fan. I've lived on the west coast all my life. I'm white.

Where was the opportunity to learn about this culture of these South-East schools on the clear other side of the country?

and the SATs are culturally biased!

f3niks

X26 said:
The logo resembes BET's

cross promotion? Maybe you can play with the Parkers on your d-line

I think that may have been intentional. Back when BET was ... you know.... Black, they used to show HBCU football every week. I wouldn't be shocked if they were able to get the commentators that used to do the BET broadcasts.

M3wThr33

Banned
levious said:
and the SATs are culturally biased!

Are they really? My ex used to reference an anagram that was supposedly in a test one year.

OCTA

COAT

Me, like many others in the west would have said
TACO

Tristam

lol at the outrage over the imagined double standards -- I can't believe that this can be construed, in any way, as analogous with RE5.

levious

M3wThr33 said:
Are they really? My ex used to reference an anagram that was supposedly in a test one year.

OCTA

COAT

Me, like many others in the west would have said
TACO

haha, nice

Captain Glanton said:
I make it a point to be a pessimist as often as possible. Still, even I am surprised and saddened to learn that--judging by this thread--most of GAF is too fucking ignorant to know what the HBCs are.
I know I didn't until this thread.
bdoughty said:
Do they not have BET out West where you live? Or do you never watch it?
It's a channel I almost never watch. I'm also probably woefully ignorant of my tractor history since I tend to ignore RFD unless Big Joe Polka Show is on.

Ploid 3.0

Woot finally Alcorn State University has a game to call it's own this year/next year? Ea left it out of NCAA 08 :( and yea I hope they capture the energy and bands of the teams. It's kinda different from what's in most higher ranking/more wealthy/more popular teams. Maybe if they didn't call it black college, but like ok yea they're pretty spot on heh.

Banned
Sol.. said:
interaction with black people?

at the end of the day thats the real cure for all this mess.
Well as a black man, I say this shit is fucking retarded.

Lets be honest, it will probably be a shitty game selling off a I imagine semi-popular concept. No real reason why anyone should care I think.

Edit: And :lol at this idea that white people need to be versed on HBC's in this day and age.

levious

Edit: And :lol at this idea that white people need to be versed on HBC's in this day and age.

they only need to be versed if they want to spout off opinions about them.

Tamanon

Banned

Lets be honest, it will probably be a shitty game selling off a I imagine semi-popular concept. No real reason why anyone should care I think.

I think people were just saying that about folks who automatically cried this was racist without even reading the announcement.

WasabiKing said:
Half of you are joking, half of you are using this opportunity to be funny in a not so funny way. And there's one name you should know, and that's Eddie Robinson, shame on you if you have to Wikipedia him.

Then again, it's to be expected when your only black college experience was "A Different World."

/thread

this is probably way too serious for a gaming board, but whatever, lol:

For black people, "Blackness" is our culture. For white people, "whiteness" isn't really a culture. Irish/German/English/French/Italian/Nordic/etc. is their actual culture. "Whiteness" has pretty much only brought negativity to the world. "Blackness" has mostly given American blacks some semblance of culture which was taken away because of things like slavery, jim crow laws, etc.

No one complains about Irish pride, Italian pride, French pride, American pride, etc. Because those are actual cultures that have contributed to the world in some positive way. "Whites" haven't. Since the only useful purpose of having "whiteness" exist in the first place is set ones self apart from "those people" and to help justify things like the majority power structure, oppressing others, etc.

So the people who are saying "hurhur, what if there was a white college football experience!" are making the wrong comparison. The proper comparison to Black college football experience would be some theoretical "Swedish Sports Experience" or "Dutch Sports Experience". In those cases, I don't think you would see that big of a deal over it.

"Whites" who complain about things like this or reverse racism miss the point imo. You have your culture. Yours wasn't stripped away through years of forced servitude. You don't need to have "whiteness" in order to have a culture. For a lot of black folk...we need Blackness. We need something like a BET (eh, in theory, in practice maybe not, lol). We need something like a "Black College Experience". And having this "pro black" mindset has nothing to do with being racist against whites. Pro black correlates with "pro-Italia" or "pro-Polish", NOT "pro white".

bdoughty said:
You do realize that Black College Football and colleges exist, right? Many have been around for quite some time. Where was the outrage the past hundred or so years?

I am uneducated about this, what is it all about exactly?

The base for the game I mean.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.

lol yeah it will probably suck, but black entertainment man. you try it with a smile....then talk trash about it later.

or maybe thats just me. I worked in independant black media (jajaja i'm using the label black to specify intended culture and demographic...if i said just independant media yall would think i'm talking about crappy art house movies or somethin) for 3 years as an intern.

levious

ZombieSupaStar said:
I am uneducated about this, what is it all about exactly?

The base for the game I mean.

forget black and white, these are schools that are not represented in EA's NCAA game. This is a game where they'll now be featured in.

Lebron

So can I finally be able to play the Bayou Classic now?

Bring it!
6787uap.gif

segarr

soul creator said:

For black people, "Blackness" is our culture. For white people, "whiteness" isn't really a culture. Irish/German/English/French/Italian/Nordic/etc. is their actual culture. "Whiteness" has pretty much only brought negativity to the world. "Blackness" has mostly given American blacks some semblance of culture which was taken away because of things like slavery, jim crow laws, etc.

No one complains about Irish pride, Italian pride, French pride, American pride, etc. Because those are actual cultures that have contributed to the world in some positive way. "Whites" haven't. Since the only useful purpose of having "whiteness" exist in the first place is set ones self apart from "those people" and to help justify things like the majority power structure, oppressing others, etc.

So the people who are saying "hurhur, what if there was a white college football experience!" are making the wrong comparison. The proper comparison to Black college football experience would be some theoretical "Swedish Sports Experience" or "Dutch Sports Experience". In those cases, I don't think you would see that big of a deal over it.

"Whites" who complain about things like this or reverse racism miss the point imo. You have your culture. Yours wasn't stripped away through years of forced servitude. You don't need to have "whiteness" in order to have a culture. For a lot of black folk...we need Blackness. We need something like a BET (eh, in theory, in practice maybe not, lol). We need something like a "Black College Experience". And having this "pro black" mindset has nothing to do with being racist against whites. Pro black correlates with "pro-Italia" or "pro-Polish", NOT "pro white".
x__segarr_____

Mohonky

Can some one explain the concept of this Historic Black College? I'm Australian so this is news to me. I generally don't think theres any reason to push any race in an overly positive or negative light, fairs fair for any race as far as I'm concerned so I don't understand the need for this particular title but judging by those saying 'anyone against it doesn't know about Historic Black College' I'm rather interested to hear what this is actually about?

Tamanon

Banned
Mohonky said:
Can some one explain the concept of this Historic Black College? I'm Australian so this is news to me. I generally don't think theres any reason to push any race in an overly positive or negative light, fairs fair for any race as far as I'm concerned so I don't understand the need for this particular title but judging by those saying 'anyone against it doesn't know about Historic Black College' I'm rather interested to hear what this is actually about?

Basically, there used to be forced segregation, and a lot of colleges in the south were formed for Blacks. The segregation is gone, but in that time, they built traditions and rivalries, they become their own "culture" so to speak. Now they're at least more mixed, but the culture persists as do the rivalries/traditions. It's a pride thing, they're proud of their history.

bdoughty

Banned
Conferences mentioned in the game and teams.

If you have played any of the college hoops games most of these teams are 1-A in basketball that play 1-AA football.

SWAC, (Div 1-AA)

Mississippi Valley State
Alabama A&M
Alabama State
Jackson State
Alcorn State
Prairie View A&M
Grambling State
Southern University
Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Texas Southern

several schools within the MEAC (Div 1-AA)

Winston-Salem
Bethune-Cookman
Delaware State
Morgan State
Norfolk State
Hampton
Howard
Florida A&M
South Carolina State
North Carolina A&T

SIAC, (DIV II)

Albany State
Benedict
Clark Atlanta
Fort Valley State
Kentucky State
Lane
Miles
Morehouse
Stillman
Tuskegee

CIAA, (Div II)

Bowie State Univ
Elizabeth City State
Fayetteville State
Johnson C. Smith
Livingstone
Saint Augustine's
Saint Paul's
Shaw
Virginia State Univ
Virginia Union

f3niks

soul creator said:

You bring up some excellent points in your post. Good stuff!

Mamesj

Banned
The title certainly hits you over the head with a sledgehammer, eh?

Whites" haven't. Since the only useful purpose of having "whiteness" exist in the first place is set ones self apart from "those people" and to help justify things like the majority power structure, oppressing others, etc.

edit: had some much more insulting written here, but I'll just say "you're wrong."

KevinRo

soul creator said:

this is the dumbest and probably the most ignorant post i've ever read in my life.

Mohonky

Tamanon said:
Basically, there used to be forced segregation, and a lot of colleges in the south were formed for Blacks. The segregation is gone, but in that time, they built traditions and rivalries, they become their own "culture" so to speak. Now they're at least more mixed, but the culture persists as do the rivalries/traditions. It's a pride thing, they're proud of their history.

Hmmm....I'm kind of undecided on the matter. As in, if there was a rivalry between colleges that accepted only white students back in the day and they wanted to keep a tradition of this by including only white students I'd be quick to say it's well, unnecessary. Likewise I don't see this as hugely necessary but I guess I don't entirely understand this situation either.

I'll just stick with my blanket ruling; if you single out any race for any particular reason, to hold them in high or low regard, it's racism for assuming they are anything but equal.

Tamanon

Banned
Mohonky said:
Hmmm....I'm kind of undecided on the matter. As in, if there was a rivalry between colleges that acted only white students back in the day and they wanted to keep a tradition of this by including only white students I'd be quick to say it's well, unnecessary. Likewise I don't see this as hugely necessary but I guess I don't entirely understand this situation either.

I'll just stick with my blanket ruling; if you single out any race for any particular reason, to hold them in high or low regard, it's racism for assuming they are anything but equal.

Just so you know, they don't only have blacks at the colleges, although they are more prevalent.

Mohonky

Tamanon said:
Just so you know, they don't only have blacks at the colleges, although they are more prevalent.

Little confused as to why they call it 'Black College Football Experience' whatever race may happen to be the prevalent. I think I'll leave this be as I don't really understand the full context of this.

Tamanon

Banned
Mohonky said:
Little confused as to why they call it 'Black College Football Experience' whatever race may happen to be the prevalent. I think I'll leave this be as I don't really understand the full context of this.

It's because the group of colleges is called Historic Black College, they just dropped the Historic part.

Shins

Banned
soul creator said:

Can't overgeneralize much better than that. "You don't get to identify yourself as being white. That's stupid. But I need to, because I'm black, and black people are positive, so there!"

You talk about how being white allows races to seperate via an "us vs. them" mentality, but don't you see that clinging to tightly to black culture, rather than, y'know, human culture, does the exact same thing, and fuels the creation of shit like this game?

soul creator said:
The proper comparison to Black college football experience would be some theoretical "Swedish Sports Experience" or "Dutch Sports Experience". In those cases, I don't think you would see that big of a deal over it.

I would, because its unnecessarily delineating. Include this stuff within an over encompassing football game. Having a multitude of separate but equal games targeted at different race groups is backwards.

soul creator said:

So being black allows you to be different from every other race, as if none of those listed have ever endured hardship? Get off your pedestal. Be pro-African-country 'x'. Research your family tree. Don't just lump everyone the same color of you together. That's the old way of thinking, and it didn't pan out too well. Get a bit of individuality about yourself.

Mamesj said:
The title certainly hits you over the head with a sledgehammer, eh?

edit: had some much more insulting written here, but I'll just say "you're wrong."

what is "white" culture?

I know about American culture, Australian culture, Irish, German, British, Dutch, Swedish, Norweigian, etc. I can get down with those.

What are the great contributions of "white culture" though? When you look at "whites" throughout history, it doesn't seem very pretty...

I don't think this is a really controversial viewpoint, especially when you look at American history.

edit: And as far as "research your family tree", well, that whole slavery thing tends to make that just a tad bit difficult. Not everyone is Alex Haley, lol. But I don't think it's a huge shock to say that "whites" have a far easier time of identifying their heritage than "blacks" do. The entire point I was making was that for a lot of us "American Black culture" is our family tree. Not Congo, Kenya, Nigeria, etc.

lots of American Blacks people had our culture taken away from us. So in a sense...we made our own culture.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Tamanon said:
People making random comments about double standards have no clue what they're talking about, and have no idea about the Historic Black Colleges.

Although I don't trust any game that's just being announced and will be released in Fall 2007.

This is gaf. You are surprised... why? :lol

mr stroke

Tamanon said:
Nobody wants to play a game with only quarterbacks, kickers and offensive linemen.

:lol :lol :lol

But is there really a need for this game and do they really think people will buy this game??is Jessie Jackson making games now??

This is BULLSHIT. If someone made a game about All white football players the game would get banned day one, you make a game about Black players and its 'A-OK'.

Fuck that shit, I'm going to make a football game that has both Black and White players playing on the same field. I know, its a risky idea but God Dammit I'm a dreamer.

Tamanon

Banned
ParticleReality said:
This is BULLSHIT. If someone made a game about All white football players the game would get banned day one, you make a game about Black players and its 'A-OK'.

Fuck that shit, I'm going to make a football game that has both Black and White players playing on the same field. I know, its a risky idea but God Dammit I'm a dreamer.

I hate so much about what you choose to be.

bdoughty

Banned
mr stroke said:
:lol :lol :lol

But is there really a need for this game and do they really think people will buy this game??is Jessie Jackson making games now??

Once again the concept of the game is lost on someone. Were you going to buy it? If not why even concern yourself with the game? Jesse Jackson?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Has anyone pointed out how this might be a case of REVERSE RACISM? lol Al Sharpton hit squad on the offensive. Could you imagine the fuhrer of they released a Lacrosse game with mostly white players?

segarr

ParticleReality said:

The game focuses on Historically Black Colleges.....not "Only Black Players"....

If there is an all white school out there, or at least a school with all white football players, and a game is made based on this league, then there wouldn't be a problem. I'm sure that there is "All-White Rugby" teams in Europe and Australia, is there not? Does anyone have a problem with this?

I don't follow college football that heavily, let alone the smaller schools, but I'm sure that some of these teams are going to have at least a couple of white players on them.....there is certainly whites (And other non-blacks) that go to these schools. In fact, I know that many people start looking at these schools quite a bit when it comes time to start applying to grad school or for teaching positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom