• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black-ish S3 |OT| Something Better is Coming (Charlie's baaaack)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzom21

"We can mistrust white people together."
"The Bunny Mack"
"Lord Snow"
"White Walker"
"Anglo Saxon Jackson"
"I think I might be a sellout..."

vypek

Good episode. Liked the Bow viewpoint and narration for this. Didn't realize the origin of "mulatto" either.

Dereck

While watching this episode it had me wondering if the audience maybe got caught off-guard by the transition from sitcom into a 2 minute history lesson.

This show can get away with it since it's usually bold like that but I remember those kinds of scenes happening at the very beginning of the episode.

I liked it a lot myself.

vypek

While watching this episode it had me wondering if the audience maybe got caught off-guard by the transition from sitcom into a 2 minute history lesson.

This show can get away with it since it's usually bold like that but I remember those kinds of scenes happening at the very beginning of the episode.

I liked it a lot myself.

They at least did it once before with the history of voter suppression and there are probably others. New viewers might be caught off guard but it doesn't seem too surprising at this point I think. I actually like it.

Tizoc

Season 3 has been my fav. so far, each episode has been fantastic and entertaining.
The Zoe and twins scene was rather nice and dang did she do a fanatstic job with their room.
Jack continues to be adorable and Diane is...Diane.

Also I could've EASILY made a presentation on the MS Surface and I don't even own one.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Charlie...just stays slayin left and right. The show feels so empty when he's not in an episode.

I love Bow's brother too. He's awesome.

AlphaSnake

I'm impressed at how well Daveed is nailing that role.

I hope he stays on the show. The character seems exactly like the person in real life. I've seen him on some talk shows, and he's just chill as hell.

Also, I think this episode may have been influenced by him, just flipped upside down. Daveed says he never really had an identify crisis and was raised Jewish. But I imagine that writers looked at that and his life and flipped it around for Bow to write this episode.

In any case, what I thought started out as a very weird episode (I thought Bow was being a hypocrite and borderline racist) flourished when Ruby opened Bow's eyes up to the issue being Bow's personal struggle. Well done, Ruby.

BLACK JESUS!

I hope he stays on the show. The character seems exactly like the person in real life. I've seen him on some talk shows, and he's just chill as hell.

Also, I think this episode may have been influenced by him, just flipped upside down. Daveed says he never really had an identify crisis and was raised Jewish. But I imagine that writers looked at that and his life and flipped it around for Bow to write this episode.

In any case, what I thought started out as a very weird episode (I thought Bow was being a hypocrite and borderline racist) flourished when Ruby opened Bow's eyes up to the issue being Bow's personal struggle. Well done, Ruby.

BLACK JESUS!

How was she being borderline racist? It's understandable that Bow as a black woman would feel some kind of way about Junior dating a white woman since he's dating someone who is totally unlike her and has not had to deal with the identity issues that she has faced in her life.

The episode is influenced by the identity crisis that mixed (half black/half white) people deal with in the United States. They may have two loving parents who are one white and one black but society sees them as black, not half white and half black. Tracee Ellis Ross has a white father and has surely also encountered this issue in her life.

I honestly loved Bow, her brother, Ruby, and parts of Dre's storyline, but I could have done without the kid's room storyline.

AlphaSnake

How was she being borderline racist? It's understandable that Bow as a black woman would feel some kind of way about Junior dating a white woman since he's dating someone who is totally unlike her and has not had to deal with the identity issues that she has faced in her life.

The episode is influenced by the identity crisis that mixed (half black/half white) people deal with in the United States. They may have two loving parents who are one white and one black but society sees them as black, not half white and half black. Tracee Ellis Ross has a white father and has surely also encountered this issue in her life.

I honestly loved Bow, her brother, Ruby, and parts of Dre's storyline, but I could have done without the kid's room storyline.

Well, I expected Bow to be extremely understanding off the get go. She comes from a mixed childhood. And with that background, and her very liberal perspectives, I immediately thought she was going to be perfectly fine with it. I don't know. I just feel like people who expect others to stick to the clan are narrow minded individuals. If the script was flipped and this was a white family show with a half-black/half-white mom and a son brought a black girl and the mother reacted the same way, hell I'd find that racist, as well.

Like I said, the impression conveyed at FIRST was confusing and I thought was totally out of character for Bow. I just didn't understand why she reacted that way. But when they laid down the identity crisis issue, it made all the sense.

Tizoc

Charlie is indeed the greatest character in this show.
Also Diane's hair.

Poor Junior though.

Dereck

Man I put a GANG A ONIONS on there

Tryna tell me what to do...

VqQIqR7.gif

Tizoc

2 weeks without Blackish
JoJo Part 4 ending soon

These'll be the most boring 2 weeks ever.

Maybe I should marathon the first 2 seasons just to see how the series grew over time.

WedgeX

Banned
Black-ish returns tonight at 9:30!

Just in time to fill the void in all our lives.

The AV Club has been infrequently and inconsistently watching and reviewing the show. However, the last review they did was an A for Being Bow-racial.

AlphaSnake

Lol Why does Diane dislike Charlie so much? I can't remember it starting.

They never showed it on air. Charlie basically mentioned it once that she's the devil and it went on from there in the 1st season. I think Charlie babysat them once?

Hilarious episode, though.

Junior and Charlie are the show.

Tizoc

I thought this was a decent episode.

Lol Why does Diane dislike Charlie so much? I can't remember it starting.

We must NEVER know.
The Charlie/Diane feud must NEVER be explained.
It is glorious because of that.

vypek

They never showed it on air. Charlie basically mentioned it once that she's the devil and it went on from there in the 1st season. I think Charlie babysat them once?

Hilarious episode, though.

Junior and Charlie are the show.

I thought this was a decent episode.

We must NEVER know.
The Charlie/Diane feud must NEVER be explained.
It is glorious because of that.

Lol so its just a thing that just happens. I'm okay with that then.

Tizoc

Diane taking the details in the books she read as being current events felt like it was a hidden commentary on how everyone is living in the now and all news and info takrn in online is of current events.

vypek

They brought another character back this episode and I'm wondering if she's back for good or back just for the intent of this episode

Edit: this is a hard hitting episode

Mesousa

Banned
So they were not misogynistic,racist, or crazy....but I don't know what they were thinking?

Nice turn back at the end there. Episode would have been iconic if it ended 10 minutes earlier.

Slayven

So they were not misogynistic,racist, or crazy....but I don't know what they were thinking?

Nice turn back at the end there. Episode would have been iconic if it ended 10 minutes earlier.

After playing Strange Fruit they can't be too woke.

Over all it was what it needed to be for the people that need it

Penguin

I mean it has a point

And it's something we will all need to come to peace with at some point, but man when Dre was talking about a country that hates ya... still how I feel

Mesousa

Banned
After playing Strange Fruit they can't be too woke.

Over all it was what it needed to be for the people that need it

His speech at the office is probably the best, most realistic, feeling I have felt watching a TV show ever honestly.

I mean it has a point

And it's something we will all need to come to peace with at some point, but man when Dre was talking about a country that hates ya... still how I feel

This is also true.

Tizoc

Made a topic about the episode, didn't know there was already a topic. It was a great episode though.
Whatd do u mean? Do u mean that u didnt know there was an ot for the series, or that thete was a thread about the new episode?

Tizoc

Another nice episode IMO.
The twins plans for if their parents divorce was neat.
No Charlie this episode though :/

AlphaSnake

Daveeed is back!! I'm so happy.

Loved this episode. Had tons of laughs. Daveed unawarely in a pyramid scheme got me. LMAO

Edit: Also this episode uses the two most over used phrases "crushing it" and "killing it" in a purely satirical way put a smile on my face. I work with people who say that shit all the time, and I want to punch them.

Penguin

So apparently they are looking into a Different World-esque spin-off with Zoey.

http://tvline.com/2017/01/19/blackish-spinoff-yara-shahidi-zoey-college-abc/

ABC is looking to spin off its acclaimed family comedy Black-ish. I’ve learned that the network is working with series creator/executive producer Kenya Barris and ABC Studios on the project, which would be toplined by Black-ish co-star Yara Shahidi and focus on her character Zoey Johnson in college. I hear the idea is for the potential new comedy series, created by Barris and former Black-ish showrunner Larry Wilmore, to be introduced as a backdoor pilot episode on Black-ish this spring. Sources stress that talks for the spinoff are still in very early stages, with no script and deals in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom