• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source Releases new screenshots

TimmiT

I remember being really impressed by the trailer for this game. Now it just looks alright. I'm not complaining because these guys are doing it for free probably in their spare time and obviously it looks a lot better than the original Half-Life, but it does show how much games have improved graphically since the trailer was released.

The "it's free" deflection doesn't hide the fact that this mod is basically vaporware at this point, and the mod developers have been doing their darnedest to cover up how they didn't expect to keep working on this mod, that they expected to get hired by Valve years ago and that the project was about ten times more ambitious than it should have been.

Okay, it's free and they haven't wasted my time, yet. So what? It doesn't make any difference. They release media, we're going to call them out for taking a long time on a poorly thought out project, especially one that appears to be as poorly managed as it was enormous. And we're also going to talk about the media and whether or not it stands up to they hyping they've been trying to do for the past three years. And it's fair to be critical when we would be investing time into a potential game, which is not a free resource.

Hey, criticize the visual fidelity all you want. I think it looks better than most if not all Half-Life 2 singleplayer mods (with the exception of maybe the Dear Esther Remake, which is a paid product), but of course there's going to be people out there who are going to say that's not good enough. But whether or not you think this looks good is subjective. I think complaining about the visuals just makes you look picky, but that's just me.

But there are an awful lot of vindictive people in this thread who's entire point of contention is "Fuck them for making me want it and then not giving it to me when I asked for it :mad:".

If your life is so busy that you have to complain about them wasting your "precious" time over not releasing the mod yet, surely you can find something else to occupy your mind. Me? I've got a backlog a mile long.

Go on all you want about how you think the team behind the mod was mismanaged or what-the-fuck-ever, I don't care. It all sounds like stuff that's hard to separate from real stuff that went on behind the scenes and just scorned fans in tinfoil hats. I'm sure some people working on the mod had delusions of grandeur; anybody on a sufficiently "high profile" mod team usually does.

I remember a Quake 3 Dragon Ball Z mod called Bid for Power, back before DBZ mods became a cliche. It was all over Planet Quake as the hottest upcoming Quake 3 mod. Their heads got too big and they actually approached Funimation to release it as a retail product. Funimation not only denied them, but formally requested they either shut down their mod or change it to something else. I've heard it a dozen other times on any number of other moderately popular fan-related projects; somebody on the staff starts thinking they're hot shit, and reality comes crashing down like a ton of bricks.

That kind of stuff usually kills a lot of mods. Crack jokes all you want, but these guys are at least giving some kind of outward facing appearance of something. It is, as far as any non-smartass knows, still "in production". That should account for something, and does, in my eyes.

Nobody should pretend to be a victim when the crime is barely more heinous than stubbing your toe.

Chavelo

EDIT: ASCII doesn't work on GAF? :(

Anywho, yay.... more evidence that they might possibly release sometime in the near future.... hopefully?

I expect Half-Life 3 to come out before this... and we all know how soon that will be. :D

Why wouldn't you release gameplay video at the very least?
Has this group released any mods before?

Can not understand what the fuss is about.. Group haven't released a project they've talked about for 8 years and no gameplay video? Mere screenies?
Aren't they too old for Ritalin?

On the slight chance it exists I'm guessing they want $$$$$ for it.

EDIT: Like the unofficial translation of Ys oath in Felghana... The 'subber' ended up wanting people to buy the translation and turned out to be a total jerk-off.

No chance. As soon as they try to make some money off it, Valve would be all over them.

What they're probably hoping for is getting hired by Valve but there's no chance of that happening either, as they've already built a reputation of being incompetent egotistical dicks.

Klyka

Banned
Why does anyone care about this? We have all played the game. Everyone has played this game. It doesn't make any sense!

Originally Posted by Cellander View Post
Is this the build-up thingy you've been talking about?

Originally Posted by Ramminator
Yes, this is the beginning.

There is no point doing a one year build up of non paid marketing so the release date must be sometime this year as it will be too much work involved to do that unless the game is almost finished and is now in final QA testing and final bug fixes.

elohel

disengenuous anything is frustrating

free or not

also weren't they mean to community people that asked when its coming out?

There is no point doing a one year build up of non paid marketing so the release date must be sometime this year as it will be too much work involved to do that unless the game is almost finished and is now in final QA testing and final bug fixes.

As much as I will tell people to stop crying about this mod not being out yet...

Dude, don't get your hopes up.

CryptiK

Christ sake you people need to get off your high horse. They owe you nothing YOU ARE NOT PAYING THEM ANYTHING.

This mod looks amazing and is amazing the amount of work that would have had to be done with such a small team to recreate such a big game must have been massive. I would love to see what you guys could come up, while you have whiny little bitches complain about every aspect of the development just be glad that still after the backlash they are persisting on getting this thing released. This thread is for discussion on the mod and not slander so if you are going to be a cry baby about it GTFO.

Overdoziz

Banned
Christ sake you people need to get off your high horse. They owe you nothing YOU ARE NOT PAYING THEM ANYTHING.

This mod looks amazing and is amazing the amount of work that would have had to be done with such a small team to recreate such a big game must have been massive. I would love to see what you guys could come up, while you have whiny little bitches complain about every aspect of the development just be glad that still after the backlash they are persisting on getting this thing released. This thread is for discussion on the mod and not slander so if you are going to be a cry baby about it GTFO.
Classy.

CryptiK

Being free doesn't make it immune from criticism.

Ye olde "you can't say a meal tastes bad unless you can cook a better one!" argument.

probably just attracted a moderator's attention there.
I know it doesnt but their is constructive criticism and then there is just straight out complaining that doesnt help anything is just there as an annoyance. The sense of entitlement in this thread is ridiculous

Zomba13

Hey, criticize the visual fidelity all you want. I think it looks better than most if not all Half-Life 2 singleplayer mods (with the exception of maybe the Dear Esther Remake, which is a paid product), but of course there's going to be people out there who are going to say that's not good enough. But whether or not you think this looks good is subjective. I think complaining about the visuals just makes you look picky, but that's just me.

Really? Complaining about visuals when the whole reason for the mod is pretty much the visuals is being picky?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Moderation decides what is appropriate conversation in threads.

This is like expecting no one to mention how long it's taking Duke Nukem to come out in a thread circa 2009. It's going to be part of the conversation.

Really? Complaining about visuals when the whole reason for the mod is pretty much the visuals is being picky?

I don't think it was just visuals, no. If you just want to update just the visuals, buy Half-Life Source and grab one of the many HD model/texture packs out there that fans have made.

BM:S has pretty much said from the start that the goal was to Half-Life-2-ize the original game, which means a lot of small stuff like there being named "characters" (Kleiner, Eli, etc.), new dialog, and so on. It is not just a straight 1:1 port of HL1 to the Source engine.

Think of it like Bionic Commando NES vs. Bionic Commando Re-Armed.

kaf

Yup. Looks like something made with BSP and populated sparsely with meshes. It's got that antiquated look to it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Even if, it's not like anyone, you know, paid for it.

A small team tries to remake one of the greatest games of all time for free in their spare time and all they get in return is hate? Yes, it takes them forever but so what? I just don't get it but we've been through this discussion before, I think.

You don't get to hype up your project for years and then get offended when people have a negative reaction instead of a positive one.

Sloane

Banned
Crack jokes all you want, but these guys are at least giving some kind of outward facing appearance of something. It is, as far as any non-smartass knows, still "in production". That should account for something, and does, in my eyes.
Agreed. They are putting a lot of time into it - obviously - when they could have stopped working on this years ago. Developing and releasing a mod is difficult (who knew!), and I for one am happy they are still trying to finish it for free in their fucking spare time despite all the ridiculous and discouraging hate.

Valve has long been a company that has encouraged (and hired) modders, as far as I am aware. I would be disappointed if they changed that policy.

As mentioned previously in the thread, the BM:S guys actually went to Valve and got their permission pretty early, and Valve even gave them the go-ahead to use specific assets from Half-Life 2 if they needed to. There was a time, apparently, where the BM:S guys were even sending regular builds to guys at Valve for feedback.

Salsa

Im gonna buy this and im gonna feel bad cause the people behind it are complete assholes

it will also probably suck since they decided to change fundamental gameplay to make it "stand the test of time"

fuck that, game aged beautifully, the idea of these guys thinking they can make Half-Life better is pretty funny

What I have done during this time Mod has been announced:

Finished School
Finished college
Finished Uni
Got a job
Lost my job
got another job
Lost my job
going back to Uni

we had 8 call of duty title's during the ongoing mod project

in perspective Valve:

Half-Life 2: Episode One
Half-Life 2: Episode two
Portal
TF2
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Alien Swarm
Portal 2
DOTA 2
CS:GO

Is this a fucking joke? What the fuck is with people in this thread? This is a goddamn mod. People working for free to remake a game as fans, for fans. Comparing their dev schedule to actual developers getting paid to make games is the stupidest ignorant shit I've ever seen.

Bear

The reason was never to make it cutting edge tech, it's a goddamn Source mod, not a tech project. The purpose was to update the blocky old Half Life to HL2 standards and it's doing exactly that. There was never any reason to expect anything more.

Tain

SalsaShark said:
fuck that, game aged beautifully, the idea of these guys thinking they can make Half-Life better is pretty funny

This is absolutely true and really needs to be getting more focus than "this game sure is taking a long time."

It was doomed from the start, and that has everything to do with their intent and nothing to do with management.

Rapstah

For all the defense they get in the way of "it's just a mod", they sure have been keeping development just as shut as a retail game's would be. Their marketing has been straight out of big publishers with "teasers" and now Facebook promotions. Since the supposed push they performed after they released that teaser in 2009 (2008?) turned out to not actually complete the mod, they deserve all the skepticism they can get at this point too.

One of the beautiful things about mod development is how you can, not actually being published by anything and in most cases not being sold, keep up communications with the community regarding how development of the mod is going. You can publish builds from the pre-alpha stage on and there should be no need to keep anyone in the team silent about what he or she is doing at any given point. That's the recipe to being picked up by a real developer if you're aiming at that, but it's also the recipe to actually getting the mod done because interest is controlled by how much progress is seen.

Whenever this is released I'll download it and play it, but it wouldn't surprise me if they've redesigned so much of it that it's no longer Half-Life, and none of them is actually a game designer, so if what they make isn't Half-Life I can't vouch for the quality of it.

derFeef

If you want to play Half Life 1 - play Half Life 1. If you fear about bad graphics, HL1 is still allright. If this would have been released 2 years ago then I would give it a go, but now it's just laughable - sorry devs I know you put hard work (?) and time (??) into it, but that's my standpoint.
Ninja edit: BM is going to remove a lot of HL1's soul regardless, it will be a diffferent game.

Top Bottom