• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source Releases new screenshots

I am not sure who trolls harder. Valve with Half-Life 3 dropping obscure little hints, or Black Mesa: Source with their excruciating and long development process.

Blizzard

Banned
My issue isn't that the mod will be great. It may be terrible if it ever comes out, yes it's taken forever, yes it would have been great to hear more progress information.

What is kind of surprising and scary to me is the sheer level of like...anger, I suppose, in the thread? Being so angry at a mod that you would actually want it shut down (despite what that might imply for mods in general or Valve in particular) kind of boggles my mind. Is this merely a grudge people hold against this particular mod?

I mean if it's terrible and comes out that's fine -- it doesn't necessarily need defended, and people can simply not play it. But why react with such vitriol? It doesn't seem to me like the mod being potentially still in development is actually hurting anything.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Man, I hope some of you carry this much water for Kanye on the OT side. At least that motherfucker has actually put stuff out.

Angry Fork

Everything after 808s is either tolerable or terrible, everything before is good/nostalgic. 808s is Kanye's only masterpiece.

Games of this magnitude also take 100x the amount of time/will power to complete over an album. I know you were kidding just saying.

The people 'white knighting' are the reasonable ones.

Everyone else is acting like a bunch of entitled spoiled whiney brats.

I'm sure you think those are the reasonable ones since you're one of the few defending them. That's pretty funny. Keep defending their incompetence though.

Angry Fork

I'm sure you think those are the reasonable ones since you're one of the few defending them. That's pretty funny. Keep defending their incompetence though.

Provide compelling arguments explaining why nobody should play or want a full blown remake of HL1.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Everything after 808s is either tolerable or terrible, everything before is good/nostalgic. 808s is Kanye's only masterpiece.

Games of this magnitude also take 100x the amount of time/will power to complete over an album. I know you were kidding just saying.

I'm joking, but only just a bit.

My point is that, in some ways, these two entities are kind of similar in that the way they've gone about promoting themselves has been annoying, grand, and in some cases, totally destructive.

Angry Fork

Yea, no point in discussing this further with you. Selective memory is a bitch yo.

Japanese tsunami thing? Which has nothing to do with this game, what else? Attempting to spread word about the content they just spent the last 6 years developing by asking people to tell friends and like their page? The horror. They should be thrown into lakes of fire.

Sloane

Banned
Yea, no point in discussing this further with you. Selective memory is a bitch yo.
It's a mod made by fans, obviously there's some incompetence, why would you expect otherwise? 99 percent of mods are never finished and even those which are usually go through a very rough development phase, losing lots of team members on the way and so on.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Still looks a lot better than the original.

This isn't the counter-point you seem to think it is.

They gave it their seal of approval years ago, from what I remember hearing.

Valve are perfectly fine with the mod, but what you're thinking of is them asking that the BMS team remove "Source" from the mod name so that there's no confusion with the releases of CS:S and DoD:S -- i.e. official products of the time.

(And, please, don't try to spin this as me being an "entitled gamer". :p)

Japanese tsunami thing? Which has nothing to do with this game, what else? Attempting to spread word about the content they just spent the last 6 years developing by asking people to tell friends and like their page? The horror. They should be thrown into lakes of fire.

You seem to be missing the entire point and their history behind the actions which you seemed to ignore. But go ahead, keep going on how your the only reasonable one and everybody else is entitled.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I don't think that people that have never released anything deserve any kind of respect.
I don't know if I'd go that far - but I'd swap "respect" for "benefit of the doubt" at this stage. As far as development process goes, mod or professional, this has been a complete pair of clown shoes and an object lesson on how not to do things.

Angry Fork

You seem to be missing the entire point and their history behind the actions which you seemed to ignore. But go ahead, keep going on how your the only reasonable one and everybody else is entitled.

You're not listing anything. You act like this was a team hired by Valve, given a deadline and 30 million dollars etc. It was a few guys that thought it would be cool to remake HL1, probably realized they were in way over their heads but decided to keep going despite people leaving/losing interest, the lack of time, the actual lives they have to juggle, not getting paid for it etc. and so on.

It's really incredible how anyone can shit on these guys for trying their best to get this game out there and because it wasn't done quick enough or they didn't say enough about it people are acting like entitled douchebags, like the devs are the worst people in the world and telling everyone not to bother nobody cares etc. absolute vitriol left and right.

Rapstah

I don't think that people that have never released anything deserve any kind of respect.

That depends on the project, but I don't think they deserve the faith to completely obscure their development process and try to imitate Capcom in marketing because they think their project is that important, especially with the mod already failing to release when they said it would. This has nothing to do with anyone's right to play the mod, by the way.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Counterpoint to what?

That what the team is doing, given the source material, implies a certain level of visual leniency:

Hilarious how a mod meant to update a game with dated graphics to a more modern standard already looks so dated even before it's out (if it ever does come out).
Still looks a lot better than the original.

The keyword in my post (that is, the one you've quoted) is "seem", so if I've misinterpreted your intent, I apologise.

You're not listing anything. You act like this was a team hired by Valve, given a deadline and 30 million dollars etc. It was a few guys that thought it would be cool to remake HL1, probably realized they were in way over their heads but decided to keep going despite people leaving/losing interest, the lack of time, the actual lives they have to juggle, not getting paid for it etc. and so on.

It's really incredible how anyone can shit on these guys for trying their best to get this game out there and because it wasn't done quick enough or they didn't say enough about it people are acting like entitled douchebags, like the devs are the worst people in the world and telling everyone not to bother nobody cares etc. absolute vitriol left and right.

I have no reason to list anything since you're going straight to the entitlement argument. It's like debating with someone in elementary school. Probably the worst trend the last couple of months ago. Also just because it's free and their putting their own time into it. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be held any less accountable for their childish actions.

Angry Fork

I have no reason to list anything since you're going straight to the entitlement argument. It's like debating with someone in elementary school. Probably the worst trend the last couple of months ago. Also just because it's free and their putting their own time into it. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be held any less accountable for their childish actions.

WHAT ACTIONS. I'm waiting for them so I can debate them and give arguments against/in favor of it but you keep saying no I'm not going to bother because huff puff pilkington whinging.

WHAT ACTIONS. I'm waiting for them so I can debate them and give arguments against/in favor of it but you keep saying no I'm not going to bother because huff puff pilkington whinging.

What's the point? You'll just downplay them to support your entitlement argument like you already did before. Also good job, you noticed I have a Pilkington avatar. You must be very proud of yourself to mention that. Sounds like something a kid would say to attack someone's character.

How about their pork barreling tactics which won them mod awards without a mod?

Arklite

Damn, not looking too bad for a mod I thought was dead.

I remember years back waiting for this and another slow moving mod titled Neotokyo to release. Nostalgia for an unreleased game is crazy.

wow

it looks fucking complete, as those images are taken from the beginning of the game towards the end of the middle..

what the fuck are they doing? trading pictures for likes?

I guess if the game is close to release it's a good way to get people hyped up after 8 years of disappointment ..

I wish Half-Life 1 could come to Mac on Steam so I can stop caring about this mod already.
I really don't want to play the console port.

Rapstah

I wish Half-Life 1 could come to Mac on Steam so I can stop caring about this mod already.
I really don't want to play the console port.

If you really want to play it, shouldn't Half-Life: Source run on Mac? It's a really bad concept (basically HL2 ragdolls and water in HL1 graphics which looks like shit combined) but it's HL1 in gameplay and experience.

If you really want to play it, shouldn't Half-Life: Source run on Mac? It's a really bad concept (basically HL2 ragdolls and water in HL1 graphics which looks like shit combined) but it's HL1 in gameplay and experience.

Nope on the Steam store it's only for Windows, no idea why. And honestly from what I've seen I'd rather just play the original. I'm sure there's ways to make it run but I'd love for it to just be in my Steam Library ready to go.

if you really want to play it

bootcamp, son

Haha I can live without it, hopefully this mod comes out soon. Sigh

Top Bottom