• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source still not out, still no date, still no discussion in this thread

Yes but for every one human year, Valve experiences two years. Which means that Valve time is actually double human time...
I thought it was the other way around - for every one year Valve cites, two years in real-time occur.

So really, Half-Life [1] was finished in one year.

You know what, I fucking hate when community projects end up like this, stuck in development limbo, and the people behind the project won't just come out and tell the truth. You ask, "hey can we at least see a small smidge of what you're working on? Don't have to be a demo release or anything, but maybe just an outline of things as they stand atm, a screenshot, a screenshot of some random lines of code?" "FUCKING NOPE, BITCH, ASKING FOR THINGS?! HOW DARE you." "Why?" "We must protect the INTEGRITY of our CREATIVE WORKS." Worst offenders are these guys and the ones behind Project 64 and ZSNES, touting the same "it's done when it's done" bullshit when your project's had nary a screenshot in the last decade. When you set out to announce a project publicly and then don't do anything about it for years on end, don't get pissed off when people ask what's up and you give some tired company line.

[/rage vent]

Couldn't have put it better myself. I hate the "you aren't entitled to ask about progress" attitude some modders have.

Sentenza

You know what, I fucking hate when community projects end up like this, stuck in development limbo, and the people behind the project won't just come out and tell the truth. You ask, "hey can we at least see a small smidge of what you're working on? Don't have to be a demo release or anything, but maybe just an outline of things as they stand atm, a screenshot, a screenshot of some random lines of code?" "FUCKING NOPE, BITCH, ASKING FOR THINGS?! HOW DARE you." "Why?" "We must protect the INTEGRITY of our CREATIVE WORKS." Worst offenders are these guys and the ones behind Project 64 and ZSNES, touting the same "it's done when it's done" bullshit when your project's had nary a screenshot in the last decade. When you set out to announce a project publicly and then don't do anything about it for years on end, don't get pissed off when people ask what's up and you give some tired company line.

[/rage vent]
Yeah, I'm with you, I find it an extremely annoying attitude.
Also, they usually throw at you some other pointlessly outraged bullshit like "We work to this on our spare time, how dare you asking for updates?".

Dude, chill the fuck out. I'm not asking to you to pay penalties for being late, I just asked some news about your project SINCE YOU PUBLICLY ANNOUNCED IT YEARS AGO, you know...

notsol337

marked forever
We should get a big petition going asking for progress.

ONE MILLION STRONG to ask if we can have the transit system as a demo.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
They are doing the project on their own dime and their own time and are releasing it for free. They aren't obligated to tell or show you shit.

I thought it was the other way around - for every one year Valve cites, two years in real-time occur.

So really, Half-Life [1] was finished in one year.

joking aside, i think the bulk of work on what we played as Half Life was done in about a year, as we know they scrapped huges parts of what they had and pretty much started over midway through development.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
They are doing the project on their own dime and their own time and are releasing it for free.

They're not releasing anything to anyone for any price, free or otherwise, because the thing is never coming out.

They aren't obligated to tell or show you shit.

They also weren't obligated to announce and hype up the mod in the first place.

You can't have it both ways. You can't hype up the project in the games media and mod websites, and release trailers that contain supposed in-game footage with things saying "this year!" and then get pissed when people ask "what happened" when you don't say anything for two years.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If they plan to finish it, show something. If not, just publicly cancel it so that:
A) People who are waiting for this mod in order to play HL1 can go ahead and just play it.
B) Someone else might do a "remastering" mod that they might not have started, since Black Mesa was supposed to be coming out.

Jackpot

Banned

[/rage vent]

Having worked on several mods myself I can tell you that the only time teams don't put out media is when they have nothing to show. Even funnier is the "we're too busy to put up screens" reply. It takes seconds to get great screens if you have assets.

They are doing the project on their own dime and their own time and are releasing it for free. They aren't obligated to tell or show you shit.

Don't be dense. They put up public forums, posted screens, whipped up hype. They went out of their way to create a fanbase and reaped the benefits of it and that fanbase wants to know what's going on.

joking aside, i think the bulk of work on what we played as Half Life was done in about a year, as we know they scrapped huges parts of what they had and pretty much started over midway through development.
Yeah, I recall hearing about that. Kind of a shame, I mean, we lost poor Ivan the Space Biker :(

Deadbeat

Banned
Valve should've hired these guys or bought their work or something.
I dont understand this logic. So if I say im working on a remake of some company's game they should hire me to help me finish it? Not all people that produce content for mods become high caliber developers. Not all content produced in mods is high quality either. The assumption that they are producing content that rival's valves work and valve should hire them for it is ludicrous.
Don't be dense. They put up public forums, posted screens, whipped up hype. They went out of their way to create a fanbase and reaped the benefits of it and that fanbase wants to know what's going on.
They used this fanbase to win moddb awards a bunch of times. Already reaped any possible benefits.

Odrion

Banned
Why would Valve ever of picked this thing up? It has always looked like a amateur mod, and would disservice the game more than it would to just keep the nostalgia graphics.
They're not forced to say anything, but they should let their fans know what's going on instead of trolling them for years. But they don't, so they're dicks.

And to all those saying Valve should have "picked this up," see the difference between here and other HL mods like Team Fortress and Counter Strike and even the TAG and Narbacular drop teams is that they had an actual living breathing product to show for it. Valve has never "picked up" an unfinished mod, and most certainly not just because it simply looked good. All the BM team has to show for their years of work is a trailer or two and some screens, and mainly because they won't give out anything else. If they'd actually released some substantial working code I can guarantee they would have at least gotten a call or shout out from Valve, if not an interview. All the BM team have proven conclusively is that they're talented at Photoshop and Windows Movie Maker, neither of which Valve needs. Valve picks up actual talent, not hype-building machines.

I'm wondering if its lack of progress or setting the bar too high that is holding back any release? The former happens, even to Half-Life 2 and the latter reminds me of the original Street Fighter 2 HD where the sprites had too much detail.

I hear they will release new screens some time in 2012. Get psyched!
One pixel at a time...

1-D_FTW

I'm wondering if its lack of progress or setting the bar too high that is holding back any release? The former happens, even to Half-Life 2 and the latter reminds me of the original Street Fighter 2 HD where the sprites had too much detail.

Oh they definitely set the bar too high. But that's not holding them back, it's caused them to quit. HL 2 was done by a huge company with millions behind it. HL2 and this have nothing in common.

Htown

And to all those saying Valve should have "picked this up," see the difference between here and other HL mods like Team Fortress and Counter Strike and even the TAG and Narbacular drop teams is that they had an actual living breathing product to show for it. Valve has never "picked up" an unfinished mod, and most certainly not just because it simply looked good. All the BM team has to show for their years of work is a trailer or two and some screens, and mainly because they won't give out anything else. If they'd actually released some substantial working code I can guarantee they would have at least gotten a call or shout out from Valve, if not an interview. All the BM team have proven conclusively is that they're talented at Photoshop and Windows Movie Maker, neither of which Valve needs. Valve picks up actual talent, not hype-building machines.

In fact, as far as I know, the only contact Valve ever had with them was to tell them to take the Source moniker off of the game.

Sibylus

Banned
I sent an email to the project lead a few days ago. I CAN CONFIRM ITS STILL ALIVE AND WELL.

Still Alive. We are working our butts off man. Keep the faith, it will payoff!

Thanks,
Carlos
I'll believe it when I see it. If the old rumors about BMS hemorrhaging modders and continuing on with a skeleton crew are true, I wouldn't expect to see this surfacing anytime soon. And that's assuming whatever's left of the team doesn't implode and go their separate ways, like 90% of all the other ambitious projects that span many years.

I strongly doubt the upload dates reflect the age of the content. Anyway, I'm aware that contributors have posted their own content outside of the site, however there can be no safe assumptions that what the individual team members - current or otherwise - post outside of the BMS banner is in fact recently-developed content. (Although, having said that, if the team were to lift the lid on a new official media release tomorrow, I'd be equally cynical.)

Yeah, it kind of sounds like you are being sort of cynical. While I can imagine all of the tech videos posted on the official Black Mesa Youtube channel were super old (they said as much in the description), I don't really understand why the channel I would link would be posting old videos months and months apart like that. When the BM:S channel dumped a hundred old videos in a day, it made sense that they were old. Not so, here.

Especially when that same guy also runs a blog where he talks about what he's working on in BM:S. But hey, if you want to be one of those "How DARE they keep me waiting! I want a refund! On this thing I don't have to pay for!" people, go right ahead, I guess.

Doesn't take me much effort to wait patiently for something like this to update, and if it dies, well, I'll be disappointed, but it won't be the end of the world, either.

Can anyone think of any really ambitious modding projects that have actually been released in the end? One of the only things that comes to my mind at the moment is Thief 2X.

mclem

Valve has never "picked up" an unfinished mod, and most certainly not just because it simply looked good.
Is there a version of Narbacular Drop which *doesn't* have a big empty final room with a note saying "Insert boss here", then?

(To be fair: As a proof of concept, ND was everything it needed to be. But I wouldn't argue it was strictly 'finished' as a game)

Sentenza

Can anyone think of any really ambitious modding projects that have actually been released in the end? One of the only things that comes to my mind at the moment is Thief 2X.
Ultima V Lazarus and Ultima VI Archaon on the Dungeon Siege engine were *enormous* efforts and they were actually released (after years of work, of course).

mclem

I'd say some of the full 32-level TCs for Doom 2 might count. TeamTNT's spring to mind in particular. That said, they too got stuck in development hell a few times.

Ultima 5: Lazarus probably merits a mention. That's Ultima 5 remade on the Dungeon Siege engine.

They're not forced to say anything, but they should let their fans know what's going on instead of trolling them for years. But they don't, so they're dicks.

The mods on their forum are dicks too.

They will delete any posts that express doubt of this thing ever getting finished.

I assume you are being sarcastic :). It would be nice to get some info though. I'm somewhat convinced that Valve just bought this project out :)

After the insensitive comments they made post Japanese Earthquake, they can indeed go fuck themselves.

Why would Valve buy a project out based on their own ip where they can easily replicate it themselves? Those guys just saw it as a means to get into Valve.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R Complete series.

gabbo

Is there a version of Narbacular Drop which *doesn't* have a big empty final room with a note saying "Insert boss here", then?

(To be fair: As a proof of concept, ND was everything it needed to be. But I wouldn't argue it was strictly 'finished' as a game)

Given that Narbacluar Drop was a student project from a team at Digipenand that got them noticed and jobs, I'd say it was all it needed to be.
As for Black Mesa, unlike DNF, I've given up on this. Short of the mod being released and meeting several expectations, I really don't care. I have Half-life and play it once a year.

APPARENTLY NO ONE READ MY POST......................................I TALKED TO THE LEAD DIRECTOR ON BLACK MESA................................ITS COMING OUT. THEY ARE HARD AT WORK.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If they plan to finish it, show something. If not, just publicly cancel it so that:
A) People who are waiting for this mod in order to play HL1 can go ahead and just play it.
B) Someone else might do a "remastering" mod that they might not have started, since Black Mesa was supposed to be coming out.
This is my main worry. I have very little faith in Black Mesa ever coming out at this point.

Htown

APPARENTLY NO ONE READ MY POST......................................I TALKED TO THE LEAD DIRECTOR ON BLACK MESA................................ITS COMING OUT. THEY ARE HARD AT WORK.

It doesn't matter. Their credibility at this point is zero. Ze-RO.

So are they accepting Paypal donations or something because at this point I can only guess its just a money scam.

They have been saying "we are working really hard" and "its nearly finished" for like 3 years now

gabbo

So are they accepting Paypal donations or something because at this point I can only guess its just a money scam.

They have been saying "we are working really hard" and "its nearly finished" for like 3 years now

They've never officially accepted donations (and I take that as truth, with no evidence to the contrary). It's more the behaviour of those behind the project towards their inquiring fans and the mod/gaming community at large that sours people to them.

Uriah

I heard the same thing in 2008. You know, when they released that awesome trailer.

Mechazawa

Man, I hope Valve ignores these guys. One of the big heads working on the mod said some pretty reprehensible shit around the time that the Japanese earthquake happened.

Edit: Fixed because apparently I got my tragedies mixed up.

Double edit: Oh, I was badly beaten on that. Whatever, DOOOOGPIIIIIILE.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, it kind of sounds like you are being sort of cynical. While I can imagine all of the tech videos posted on the official Black Mesa Youtube channel were super old (they said as much in the description), I don't really understand why the channel I would link would be posting old videos months and months apart like that. When the BM:S channel dumped a hundred old videos in a day, it made sense that they were old. Not so, here.

Especially when that same guy also runs a blog where he talks about what he's working on in BM:S. But hey, if you want to be one of those "How DARE they keep me waiting! I want a refund! On this thing I don't have to pay for!" people, go right ahead, I guess.

Doesn't take me much effort to wait patiently for something like this to update, and if it dies, well, I'll be disappointed, but it won't be the end of the world, either.

Oh, please, drop the attitude. I simply don't believe the game is anywhere near done - nothing more, nothing less. At no point have I posted in a manner which implies I feel that I'm entitled to play the mod.

Top Bottom