• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source still not out, still no date, still no discussion in this thread

Demigod Mac

Question,

does "don't care anymore" mean,

1. Not going to even try it when/if it's released
or
2. Not following news about it anymore

Somehow I think it's the latter.

Taking a long time is fine. I just wish they'd not set themselves up to be communicative about the development process (Twitter account, hello?) and then suddenly go dead silent for a year with nary a word.

Elixist

lowrider007 said:
Also been waiting years for this, been following the project from day one and still don't know whether this is ever going to be released, I have a feeling they were/are hoping that valve would pick them up.
I know I was hoping Valve would pick them up for the polishing phase and to put it in their next "box".

Sibylus

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
They've done some pretty out of the box things with the Source engine. It's not quite the actual game's content, but just how far these guys have taken Source.

Valve coule probably benefit from their random NPC creator, for example, in making DOTA2 or Episode 3. Valve games run into some problems with diversity in NPCs, but the Black Mesa team created a tool that can create a large group of different NPCs with relatively low game size bloating. They also seem to have improved lighting in Source, and are making extensive use of "jigglebones" which Valve games up to this point haven't used much of as far as backgrounds go. L4D1/2 have a few on character models, but not in the depth that BM has used them in backgrounds. Things like potted plants, for example, behave like natural objects and not like plastic aquarium plants like they do in most video games.
I could see them communicating to the BMS people about things like this, but I think it doubtful that they'd just pick up *everyone*. L4D1 and 2 has pushed the randomization of character models very far in Source (the commentary detailing this is fascinating), I think Valve would be mightily interested in pushing that technology even further.

Horns

Vinterbird said:
Portal 2 is way to big to be included in a box now. CS:Source is already out and doesn't need to be on consoles. CS2 on the other hand..

I'd buy a new console box set if they updated TF2 with better netcode. It still lags pretty bad.

Demigod Mac

Horns said:
I'd buy a new console box set if they updated TF2 with better netcode. It still lags pretty bad.

There's a few commands you can stick into an autoexec.cfg file for a significantly improved connection.

rate "60000"
cl_cmdrate "67"
cl_updaterate "67"

FatBaby

Demigod Mac said:
There's a few commands you can stick into an autoexec.cfg file for a significantly improved connection.

rate "60000"
cl_cmdrate "67"
cl_updaterate "67"

I don't think the console versions have an autoexec.cfg file.

Horns

Demigod Mac said:

rate "60000"
cl_cmdrate "67"
cl_updaterate "67"

I was referring to the console version. The PC version is perfectly fine IMO.

Yeah, I've had this written off for awhile. I'm about to do the same for Episode Three. Personally, I think Valve is trying to avoid the entire issue of writing themselves into a corner and destroying what they already have. Not that I can blame them.

With Aperture and Black Mesa being in the same universe, or are you referring to something else?

Clevinger

Foliorum Viridum said:
This really isn't the project where you should pull something like that. There's enough impatience as it is without taunting people.

The developers didn't do it (and I'm sure they didn't like it), some mouth-breathing forumers did it.

From the few times I have visited the Black Mesa forums looking for information, it's my opinion that they are all a bunch of conceited little shit heads.

TheExodu5

Banned
Demigod Mac said:

rate "60000"
cl_cmdrate "67"
cl_updaterate "67"

You actually want cmdrate and updaterate to be just above your average or max FPS. For anyone running with a powerful PC without vsync, it would be 101. The connection in GoldSrc/Source is dependent on your framerate.

The Hermit

elektrixx said:
Even a remake of Half-Life by someone else is still on Valve time.

awesome_smiley_half_life_2_by_alexjr096.jpg

TheExodu5 said:
You actually want cmdrate and updaterate to be just above your average or max FPS. For anyone running with a powerful PC without vsync, it would be 101. The connection in GoldSrc/Source is dependent on your framerate.

I actually googled those console commands to make sure it wouldn't screw my game up and I found a lot of people who say that cmdrate is automatically capped at your current framerate so setting it high shouldn't have any adverse effects.

tiff

Banned
I <3 Memes said:
From the few times I have visited the Black Mesa forums looking for information, it's my opinion that they are all a bunch of conceited little shit heads.
What else is there to do on a Black Mesa Source forum?

Foliorum Viridum said:
I know, but if you're a fan of the project you shouldn't do it either!

There's a lot of things people do on the internet that they shouldn't do.

Generally, that just makes them want to do it even more.

kodt

Banned
can a mod edit the thread title to include [FAKE] or [CONFIRMED FALSE]

I have a heart attack every time I see it :lol

jambo

Haha, found out that a mate of mine was the one who set up this troll (Collision)

Some of the shots he used were also ones that I took :lol

TemplaerDude said:
I would get bored too, posting on a forum about a game that doesn't fucking exist.

It depends on how you define "doesn't fucking exist".

Something exists, somewhere. There are too many work-in-progress videos, trailers, and screenshots to say the game doesn't exist. This isn't DNF, where we went nearly a decade without any media.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlackMesaSourceMedia

It just doesn't exist in a state you are allowed to play. And while that sucks, I'm patient. The day I get angry or disappointed about Black Mesa Source is the day they officially announce the project is dead.

Until then, it's useless getting all riled up over assumptions.

Signs do point to something potentially being on the horizon, though, which is why this hoax had so much credence:

A forum post in July from Black Mesa Staff told fans users to "mark their calendars for the end of 2010", because they were going to have something for us to play.

Monkeyjunkie, a Black Mesa Staff member who created the two BM:S trailers, updated the video description for his upload of the last trailer in late October saying "Yes it's delayed. No it's not dead or vaporware. Certain parts didn't feel up to scratch with the rest of the project and are being improved upon."

That implies, to me, that they were done in October of this year and went back to polish up a couple of areas that they were not happy with.

I can wait. Patience is a virtue I pride myself on having.

Zenith

Banned
Does anyone else remember an HL2 zombie mod called No More Room in Hell? It got a lot of early attention just by virtue of being one of the first ambitious zombie total conversions for Source. It's still going, despite it being 6 years old and having no team left to speak of or any gameplay shots thus far.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Zenith said:
Does anyone else remember an HL2 zombie mod called No More Room in Hell? It got a lot of early attention just by virtue of being one of the first ambitious zombie total conversions for Source. It's still going, despite it being 6 years old and having no team left to speak of or any gameplay shots thus far.

Interest in the mod died down after Left 4 Dead. As did the inspiration to continue development, it would seem.

Sibylus

Banned
Could definitely see BMS coming out at the tail-end of winter or in the spring, from what it sounded like they were knee-deep in polishing and past major content addition.

(I like how the thread title keeps evolving)

Zenith said:
Still alive (undead?). There's been a fair bit of activity in the past year, including screenshots and video of previously unseen maps. Heck, it had screenshots of a new map put up today on its Moddb page (nmo_chinatown). The other three are maps detailed last year.

nmo_chinatown0004_watermarked.jpg

nmo_cabin012_watermarked.jpg

mapspotlight_broadway3_watermarked.jpg

tester_12.jpg

http://www.moddb.com/mods/no-more-room-in-hell

Edit: Wups, beaten. Pretty pictures though! ;0

Zenith

Banned
JaseC said:
Interest in the mod died down after Left 4 Dead. As did the inspiration to continue development, it would seem.

it was before even that. Brainbread, Zombie Panic, Dead Rising, L4D, L4D2, ZP Source, Dead Rising 2 all came out in the years it was pretending to be alive.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
whatever. still don't care.

I'm sure their hearts are in the right place (i think), but at this point the bms team is doing more harm than good, since there are people who won't play half-life waiting for this bs mod that won't be released.

challenge to the mod team: release your final version of the opening tram ride sequence as a demo. it's only a few minutes and there's no combat, and you've been working on this for ages. prove you're not wasting everyone's time.

and if you're six months of work away from having a complete tram sequence, YOUR MOD IS NEVER COMING OUT.

As long as this game has been in development, and with all of the improvements to the Source engine, it surprises me that this game doesnt even look as good as HL2 at this point. Sure it's a mod, but it is 6 years in the making and has access to a much better tool set.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I <3 Memes said:
As long as this game has been in development, and with all of the improvements to the Source engine, it surprises me that this game doesnt even look as good as HL2 at this point. Sure it's a mod, but it is 6 years in the making and has access to a much better tool set.

HL2 looks as good as it does because of art direction.

Top Bottom