• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source still not out, still no date, still no discussion in this thread

Legendary Warrior said:
fake because this game is never going to be released.

I swear, wasn't this game "so close" to being released over a year ago. I remember a rumor just like this thread in December of 2009.

I hope it does come out, I will definitely play it. But at this point I'm very skeptical of the whole project.

Sutanreyu

~Kinggi~ said:
I'd completely written this mod off as vaporware.

I still doubt it will be released.

If that were the case, why wouldn't they just release what they do have so far?

Why continue to work on it if they aren't going to release it?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Sutanreyu said:

It's a very common thing in the mod world for the modders to refuse to release something until they think it i perfect. So most mods get caught in endless stages of flux and then dont get finished cause people get busy IRL. It is what seperates the amatuers from the professionals.

Zenith

Banned
Sutanreyu said:

a huge number of mods have shown something playable only to die and release nothing.

So.....what was the big thing about this thread?

Anyway, I think they hoped Valve would pick this mod up but I guess they hoped wrong and it's probably never going to get finished.

I'd just release the thing anyway.

Sutanreyu

~Kinggi~ said:
It's a very common thing in the mod world for the modders to refuse to release something until they think it i perfect. So most mods get caught in endless stages of flux and then dont get finished cause people get busy IRL. It is what seperates the amatuers from the professionals.

Of course. But I think that's a rather wasteful thing for someone to do. Even in the professional world, many products go unfinished, but they're released anyway to make ends meet. If they have the resources, they can go back and fix things here and there, or even add whatever was missing.

Valve is one of few studios who have [almost] complete creative freedom. They can work on practically anything they want, without any real pressure. They've got the resources for that. A mod team can't really expect to do the same without leaving the public with the impression that the project will never actually release.

Although the BMS team seems to be trying to look "professional" and taking the 'til it's done' approach, that doesn't tend to work well for mods since there's no real cash flow for the project. Yet, time and time again, mod teams keep attempting to go with that sort of mind set, instead of going for an iterative release schedule.

Ambition can quickly take the form of pretentiousness if your goals aren't achieved. I don't think anybody really likes that feeling.

Interesting. I just looked at their site today after seeing the HL games on sale and noticed they haven't really announced anything in almost a year. Hopefully this at least means they are progressing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
SketchTheArtist said:
Anyway, I think they hoped Valve would pick this mod up but I guess they hoped wrong and it's probably never going to get finished.

I doubt they had that in mind. Valve just don't hire any Tom, Dick or Harry in the mod scene - but rather, they hire those who express talent, or game design principles ahead of the curve. At the very least, you can bet your left nut that a handful of BMS's programmers will have (or have had) job offers. What the team have done with the Source Engine is nothing short of brilliant.

Sutanreyu said:
Valve is one of few studios who have [almost] complete creative freedom.

There's no "almost" about it when you're allowed to work on something such as Portal.

JaseC said:
I doubt they had that in mind. Valve just don't hire any Tom, Dick or Harry in the mod scene - but rather, they hire those who express talent, or game design principles ahead of the curve. At the very least, you can bet your left nut that a handful of BMS's programmers will have (or have had) job offers. What the team have done with the Source Engine is nothing short of brilliant.

At the very least, I seem to remember hearing years ago members of the BM:S team were in close contact with Valve to the point where Valve was provided private betas of the mod.

That's what started the whole "Valve will just buy Black Mesa Source and release it at retail" rumor.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sega1991 said:
At the very least, I seem to remember hearing years ago members of the BM:S team were in close contact with Valve to the point where Valve was provided private betas of the mod.

That's what started the whole "Valve will just buy Black Mesa Source and release it at retail" rumor.

Ah, yes, I think you're right.

Horns

Dang, about time. Sadly, I never finished HL1, played through a good portion twice and stopped for some reason. I recently started playing it again from the start and told myself it would be best to wait for Black Mesa. Very excited, very sad if fake.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I remember posting in the thread about them being almost done around this time last year-ish or so.

Don't wanna get hurt

Oreoleo

Serenade said:
I remember posting in the thread about them being almost done around this time last year-ish or so.

Don't wanna get hurt

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. 2009 came and went, with such sorrow.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Everyone who is waiting for this mod before you play the first Half-Life, DON'T.

It's highly questionable whether it's ever going to come out. Grab the original game from Steam and enjoy. Don't deprive yourself on account of this nonsense.

FoxSpirit

Htown said:
Everyone who is waiting for this mod before you play the first Half-Life, DON'T.

It's highly questionable whether it's ever going to come out. Grab the original game from Steam and enjoy. Don't deprive yourself on account of this nonsense.

Sorry, but HL1 can't be that good to make me sit through the graphics when I have the chace to witness it unspoiled in a proper update. So I'll wait, maybe till my death.

Teknoman

FoxSpirit said:
Sorry, but HL1 can't be that good to make me sit through the graphics when I have the chace to witness it unspoiled in a proper update. So I'll wait, maybe till my death.

Honestly, HL1 with that HD model pack update that came with the Blue Shift expansion, actually doesnt look that bad. Its not HL2 level, but its not really old school PC 3d graphics either.

Goon Boon

Banned
Yeah Half-Life is worth a playthrough, has some good puzzles and some "oh shit" moments (lookin at you
gonarch
)

Yeah, I've had this written off for awhile. I'm about to do the same for Episode Three. Personally, I think Valve is trying to avoid the entire issue of writing themselves into a corner and destroying what they already have. Not that I can blame them.

Cohsae

FoxSpirit said:
It is that good.

Dug

Banned
FoxSpirit said:
I51E5.jpg

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
FoxSpirit said:
You are not a gamer.

Sutanreyu said:
Of course. But I think that's a rather wasteful thing for someone to do. Even in the professional world, many products go unfinished, but they're released anyway to make ends meet...
here's lookin at you, gaming industry.

*glares*

Scipius

FoxSpirit said:

The only way to witness it unspoiled is to download/install HL1 right now and play it. BM:S adds eye-candy, but also makes other changes; as interesting as it will be, it will not be the original HL1. If you want an unspoiled HL1 with a few graphical improvements, you could also try HL: Source.

In a way I kind of hope BM:S will be the ultimate Half-Life experience.

There's a VERY good chance it won't be, but if it achieves everything it aims to do, then I can't see myself ever playing the original game over it.

Half-Life is kinda dated these days and it's not the awe inspiring experience it once was. If they can faithfully recreate the game with the updated tech and added details/atmosphere etc, then I'll bow at their feet.

If Valve would buy this project and release it in the near future as a 5 dollar download, I would be just as happy as if it were released for free years down the road.

I just have this fear that the game, when actually compiled and running on mass people's PC, is going to have huge graphical glitches or something that ruins the release. I'm inclined to believe Valve would fix these problems (most of them at least) in a matter of days/weeks, but I don't know how quickly a mod team would work.

Scipius said:
The only way to witness it unspoiled is to download/install HL1 right now and play it. BM:S adds eye-candy, but also makes other changes; as interesting as it will be, it will not be the original HL1. If you want an unspoiled HL1 with a few graphical improvements, you could also try HL: Source.
Actually, the game looks better if you ge the original, and download the HD pack, which updates the textures and models to be higher quality and brings the game up to mid-level PS2 style graphics (at least for character models).

HL:S doesn't have a stable, working HD graphics pack.

Ultimatum

Banned
Problem is that Valve won't ever buy the project. Why would they? There's hardly any creativity in this, they're just remaking a game. Anybody with enough time could do that. Valve usually picks up people who are working on awesome new ideas, people who can further help push Valve's image of innovation (Portal, L4D, CS, etc.)

f0rk

Ultimatum said:
Problem is that Valve won't ever buy the project. Why would they? There's hardly any creativity in this, they're just remaking a game. Anybody with enough time could do that. Valve usually picks up people who are working on awesome new ideas, people who can further help push Valve's image of innovation (Portal, L4D, CS, etc.)

You don't know that. I'm sure I read they are/were redesigning some sections to modernize them, it could turn out amazing.

Ultimatum said:
They've done some pretty out of the box things with the Source engine. It's not quite the actual game's content, but just how far these guys have taken Source.

Valve coule probably benefit from their random NPC creator, for example, in making DOTA2 or Episode 3. Valve games run into some problems with diversity in NPCs, but the Black Mesa team created a tool that can create a large group of different NPCs with relatively low game size bloating. They also seem to have improved lighting in Source, and are making extensive use of "jigglebones" which Valve games up to this point haven't used much of as far as backgrounds go. L4D1/2 have a few on character models, but not in the depth that BM has used them in backgrounds. Things like potted plants, for example, behave like natural objects and not like plastic aquarium plants like they do in most video games.

f0rk said:
You don't know that. I'm sure I read they are/were redesigning some sections to modernize them, it could turn out amazing.

They did mention a few times over the years that they were not simply doing straight ports of maps. There was the implication that certain areas would be updated as necessary. Xen, for example, was apparently completely redesigned from the ground up for BM:S, and I think there was talk of them trying to go a bit more down the Half-Life 2 route regarding having named characters (so you'll see and specifically identify Eli and Kleiner).

Edit: You can see hints of how much redesigning went on and how much was left "untouched" just by watching the trailer from 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lul60ixy_40

The Lab area from the beginning of the game is completely different, while other areas, like the sequence with the Rifle's grenade, is the exact layout from HL1, just prettier.

Cronox

Banned
Scipius said:

Reading this inspired me to take out my old Half-Life GOTY cd and register the key on steam. So now I have about 8 more games on my steam list, and HL1 and all the expansions on my backlog. Thanks a lot, jerk.

Leviathin25 said:
I would love it if they included this and maybe CS:Source and made a new orange box with Portal 2.

Portal 2 is way to big to be included in a box now. CS:Source is already out and doesn't need to be on consoles. CS2 on the other hand..

Top Bottom