• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops 2: some retail copies have shipped with Mass Effect 2 as the second disc

Assuming Direct Control!

image.php

it's not actually a big problem since the game is steamworks, they just have to download it.

Of course this is thankfully possible but downloading 11GB isn't all that fast and easy for everyone :/

Has this actually been proven? It seems highly unlikely.

Well here is a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_a0TzFx5hE

mclem

how does that even happen lol

A friend of mine picked up a retail CD of one of the Quake addons (I *think* Scourge of Armagon, but don't quote me on that). He inserted the CD... to be greeted with an audio track of David Attenborough commentary on something.

These mixups happen. Weird as they are.

Edit: Oh, it happened to me, too! My disc 5 of The Pandora Directive contains the data of a second copy of disc 4. Since I'd bought it in store in the US but hadn't played it until I was back in the UK, couldn't do much about that.

Isn't this a non issue since you can just download the game from Steam after you plug the code in? Yeah bandwidth caps suck and some download speeds are slow, but its not like it isn't easily fixable.

HardRojo

Looking forward to seeing how this story develops, it seems pretty interesting considering we're talking about Activision and EA, lots of cash will be involved.

Jawmuncher

Isn't this a non issue since you can just download the game from Steam after you plug the code in? Yeah bandwidth caps suck and some download speeds are slow, but its not like it isn't easily fixable.

True doesn't seem like to many people are all that upset by it.
However I know if it was me, I would still want to get that second disc with it's actual contents on it.

Haunted

Looking forward to seeing how this story develops, it seems pretty interesting considering we're talking about Activision and EA, lots of cash will be involved.
Activision will probably have the printing factory foot some part of the bill when the inevitable replacements will have to be sent out.

Question is how EA will react, wanting some sort of compensation for having one of their products distributed by another company without authorisation seems plausible.

hym

Banned
Activision will probably have the printing factory foot some part of the bill when the inevitable replacements will have to be sent out.

Question is how EA will react, wanting some sort of compensation for having one of their products distributed by another company without authorisation seems plausible.

But you can't do anything with only a ME2 disc 2, sure it's EA's content and property on the disc but no way to access it, maybe they could sue for defamation or something if they have evidence that some people ended up blaming them for the error, claiming it damaged their reputation but that seems rather far fetched.

Mikeside

Oh, I'm pretty sure Activision will be making them pay the whole bill - replacement disks, plus probably compensation for whatever freebies Acti have to give out.

I imagine they'll have to pay something to EA for the "lost Mass Effect 2 revenue" too. (probably using the standard piracy equation - 1 mis-shipped copy = 1 lost sale)

Toad-fr

Hi there,

This story, if true, reminds me of an issue happened to us last year for Christmas: customers purchasing Invizimals on PSP were loading up Toy Story 3... Just imagine the Christmas day of these kids...

Looks like a big #fail on the factory side of things, it might take a while for consumers to get a replacement if they don't feel like waiting for the 5Gb download on Steam...

Good luck guys with your CoD disc #2 :)
Xavier

Skunkers

A friend of mine picked up a retail CD of one of the Quake addons (I *think* Scourge of Armagon, but don't quote me on that). He inserted the CD... to be greeted with an audio track of David Attenborough commentary on something.

Unrelated but similar. I was in high school when Gran Turismo 2 came out. I had my mom drive me to Wal-Mart to get it at midnight (we didn't have any game stores that did midnight launches back then). Got out of there with my copy of GT2 happily in hand, while she was driving me home I opened it to look at the manual when I realized it: instead of the game discs there were two Bruce Springsteen live CDs. Now mind you, the case was shrinkwrapped and had the undamaged Playstation seal. Some asshole at the pressing factory must have switcherooed the game.

I was terrified Wal-Mart wouldn't believe the story, but they did actually return it and give me a new copy, and all was well.

cameron

Hilarious if true.

Is the PC version of ME2 still being printed? If not, do pressing plants keep the master disc/data indefinitely?

shuri

Banned
So how many people actually got this? I don't really care for claims made by 'redditors'; they tend of greatly exaggerate things for the sake of self-aggrandizing drama.

Chavelo

Haha, and it's not like PC users are screwed, either. Just register the steam key to your account and boom: download the digital copy of the game instead of installing it thru dvds.

TWO GAMES FOR THE PRICE ON ONE

Top Bottom