• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops III is current gen only (PS4/XB1/PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

nOoblet16

just a lot of prebaked lighting in single Player does not make the COD a very advanced technical show piece. The multiplayer ( that is what I mostly talk about) looks nowhere near good and has the same flaws every other CoD had.
You are again factually wrong because it does have a lot of advanced rendering techniques, and your argument about pre baked holds no grounds as every game engine has some manner of pre baked stuff going on and u til ray tracing becomes a reality in real time everything will be fake anyway. AC unity has it's entire GI pre baked but it'd be funny if you discredit that game's looks due to that.

And guess what Unity is an iteration of older AC engine too.

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
ehm, ... no it not.
Look at the bottom of the beta access screen, it says " actual platforms for launch to be determined".

CryptiK

It's not the "same engine". Jesus.
It's like saying Far cry 1 and Ryse run the same engine as they are both iterations of the same engine with one having new graphics tech stubbed upon...see how silly that sounds?

Game engines dont work like that,the notion of naming an engine is purely arbitrary and is used only for licecing purpose. Just because they didn't name it different does not mean it's the same engine.
Not really if you wanted a similar comparison It would be the Cryengine 2 > Cryengine 3. So much changed between 2 and 1 and they are very different, everything from Graphics to Network infrastructure.

Unreal 2.5 > 3 is another similar transition graphics technology and some background changes..
3>4 however is very different again.

Cryengine 1 to Dunia is a real change between two engines.

COD they haven't changed how Framerates affect the game ever, the network infrastructure remains unchanged.

H4r4kiri

You are again factually wrong because it does have a lot of advanced rendering tech iques, and your argument about pre baked holds no grounds as every game engine has some manner of pre baked stuff going on. AC unity has it's entire GI pre baked but it'd be funny if you discredit that game's looks due to that.

And guess what Unity is an iteration of older AC engine too.

but Unity looks 100x better and has a lot more going one. A huge open world, massive amounts of NPCs, better animation. It only runs at, not so consistent , 30fps on console, but it is way more of a technical marvel than CoD is.

H4r4kiri

Not really if you wanted a similar comparison It would be the Cryengine 2 > Cryengine 3. So much changed between 2 and 1 and they are very different, everything from Graphics to Network infrastructure.

Unreal 2.5 > 3 is another similar transition graphics technology and some background changes..
3>4 however is very different again.

Cryengine 1 to Dunia is a real change between two engines.

COD they haven't changed how Framerates affect the game ever, the network infrastructure remains unchanged.

lets not forget about headglitching, charactermodels and other problems ...

Elfstruck

Why are people so concerned with who gets a marketing deal? What difference does it make to you?

Hah, I couldnt wrap my head around it either. People kept talking about marketing deal in every thread I read, NPD, e3 prediction... I seriously don't get it.

LeonSPBR

Hah, I couldnt wrap my head around it either. People kept talking about marketing deal in every thread I read, NPD, e3 prediction... I seriously don't get it.

Because of the timed deal Activision has with MS over the DLCs... that's why everyone is talking about the marketing deal. If Activision has a marketing deal with Sony, it means that the DLCs will come at the same time or it will come first on PS4.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
but Unity looks 100x better and has a lot more going one. A huge open world, massive amounts of NPCs, better animation. It only runs at, not so consistent , 30fps on console, but it is way more of a technical marvel than CoD is.

AW was pretty damn impressive looking. There were moments during the campaign where my mouth was on the floor in disbelief that it was happening in real time.

I don't even understand the comparison to Unity, which is a completely different style of game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
From the wording they're giving now it seems like the other platforms will be announced later and probably missing major features.

fernoca

It was expected, more than anything. They tend to focus on the "main SKUs" and barely mention or even show the other versions, because they think people might get the wrong impression of the game (looks dated, current gen is upscaled to 1080p, etc.).

Same thing that happened with the Wii versions.

it'll still make a ton of money but they could have had even more

how hard is it to have two studios do the game? one does current gen - treyarch , one does last gen

but still this is good news, can we get a BIG TEAM BATTLE NOW , battlefield has spoiled me.

^ What qualifies as 'next gen'?

You can basically say the same thing for basically almost every engine out there, they all use legacy code to varying degrees. It means absolutely nothing

I get what he's saying, though. The game doesn't look very impressive graphically. I mean, it barely looks as good as AW, I would say not even as good.

BibiMaghoo

Well then, I very much stand corrected. Would never have thought they didn't like the money of millions of last gen customers.

Well done Activision.

EDIT: hahaha, so there is a last gen version.

adelante

Yet the game looks bad.

They seriously need to ditch their old engine.
Or get Sledgehammer to do it. Because PLENTY of game companies build games off old engines but they have more room to improve (no 60fps restriction). AW looks better than this. (Crossposting from another thread) There's just something missing about the quality of textures in BLOPs. It's like they dialled back on the complexity of material properties and have either matte or shiny. In Advanced Warfare, you can see some matte surfaces have a very subtle reflective sheen (not just shiny with specular highlights, but diffused reflections). The game looks flat and it kinda reminds me of BLOPs2, which looked flat in comparison to MW3. I don't even see motion blur in this trailer.

image_call_of_duty_adrnulj.jpg

image_call_of_duty_ad69u64.jpg

image_call_of_duty_adpzuyz.jpg

15693622241_81d3a7b66hvumu.png

s1_mp64_ship2014-11-092ua6.png

s1_sp64_ship_2015_03_gku6m.jpg

Am I the only who thought the graphics, character models and lighting that we see in this trailer looked sub par even by Treyarch's standards(just by looking at the character models and lighting in Black OpsII on PS3 and X360)?? Hope I am wrong because Sledgehammer set a new benchmark in graphics, lighting, character models, animation for Call of Duty with their debut solo development Advanced Warfare and AW was a cross gen game. With BOIII being focused solely on new gen hardware, I would be very surprised if the visuals end up being average when compared to AW.

EatMyFace

Banned
Honest question to all those actively hating on any cross-gen game: are you mad that underpowered current gen consoles are holding back PC?
Consoles are mainstream and take priority.
PC can mean anything. Most common setup is integrated graphics.

CryptiK

Or get Sledgehammer to do it. Because PLENTY of game companies build games off old engines but they have more room to improve (no 60fps restriction). AW looks better than this. (Crossposting from another thread) There's just something missing about the quality of textures in BLOPs. It's like they dialled back on the complexity of material properties and have either matte or shiny. In Advanced Warfare, you can see some matte surfaces have a very subtle reflective sheen (not just shiny with specular highlights, but diffused reflections). The game looks flat and it kinda reminds me of BLOPs2, which looked flat in comparison to MW3. I don't even see motion blur in this trailer.

The two actual gameplay screenshots in their look fucking horrible.

That's good, but the visuals I saw in the trailer looked inferior to AW.

Okay so I am not the only who felt the same. Because treyarch's Black Ops I and II even to this day looked beyond what the rest looked by PS3/Xbox 360 standards. Just look at the character models Treyarch created with Mason Jr, Reznov, Sgt Frank Woods, Harper, Menendez, Dragovich, Steiner, Makarov. The character models, their faces, animation all looked super brilliant by COD standards and then came AW for PS4/Xbox One which set new standards

IvanJ

Banned
Don't really care about CoD, but a very significant decision to release only on current-gen. I thought they and FIFA will be the last holdouts, but with this move, it is certain that last-gen will soon be dead.

chemicals

Wow. I guess new gen is here. You understand how many people play CALL OF DUTY and no other games? This is forcing them all to upgrade. This is huge.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

It's really a bummer that they don't seem to be using the lighting or effects from AW. I thought both were quite good (especially the explosions) for a 60fps game and was hoping that this game would look similar but just have a better AA solution, improved AF, and motion blur on outside of scripted moments.

A few of my own screens from the PS4 version of AW to compare:
i3B4GBT6kOl3D.jpg

ibzsWxZq3lllW8.jpg

iftNfNxidTGWz.jpg

i3Cm62XyyPOiA.jpg

adelante

The two actual gameplay screenshots in their look fucking horrible.

They're compressed I admit, but I'm also comparing official screenshots released. Also, you clearly couldn't tell that BLOPs is missing the extra material quality on some of textures in seen in that AW gameplay shot, notably how the glove that's in shadow, has a reflective blue sheen from the sky to mimick real-life rubber/leather properties

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom