• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' Is A Box Office Disaster With Poor $13M Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

robotrock

Banned
I don't remember feeling like this about the first movie at all.
I kind of feel like this about the first movie but to be fair, I did watch the Final Cut. It’s a slow movie, and the segments with Priss in Sebastian’s weird house feel like director’s cut content to me. A lot of the Batty stuff too honestly.

edit: oops, top of the page with my bad opinion

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Reading about all the implications and messages on Wikipedia makes me want to see that movie again, despite being a bit disappointed. May actually check it out again next week.

Barf. Hell no.

Then we would have just gotten another “entertaining” Nolan film for the masses. The world doesn’t need another of those. They are sugar coated crap - Marvel for the “refined” taste.

I think Nolan’s version of this movie would have been similar but the editing would have trimmed the run time and caused more ambiguity.

HariKari

I think Nolan’s version of this movie would have been similar but the editing would have trimmed the run time and caused more ambiguity.

I think it'd be twice as hamfisted, PG-13, but paced well for modern audiences.

So, not a Blade Runner movie. I think even Nolan understands that. This is a niche thing if you do it right, by design.

robotrock

Banned
I think it'd be twice as hamfisted, PG-13, but paced well for modern audiences.

So, not a Blade Runner movie. I think even Nolan understands that. This is a niche thing if you do it right, by design.
Nolan pacing can be pretty rough. TDKR and Interstellar were real rough.

I wonder how GITS releasing before this impacted BR2049. Because that was a stinker.

anyhow...

TDKR felt fine to me

Interstellar was really just dull and all that shit about LOVE...yeah nah.

my only complaint with the movie is that the hints weren't subtle and it's very easy to guess what will happen

Aside from that, it was great and i didn't felt it was too long, enjoyed everything

NateDog

I don't know if it is to do with a lack of advertising in some places or people just not taking notice but in some cases people don't even seem to know the title of the movie. I was discussing Dave Bautista yesterday with my girlfriend and went to show her the short with his character on YouTube, and the first suggestions that came up were "bladerunners" and "bladerunners 49" or extensions of those.

Aurongel

I don't know if it is to do with a lack of advertising in some places or people just not taking notice but in some cases people don't even seem to know the title of the movie. I was discussing Dave Bautista yesterday with my girlfriend and went to show her the short with his character on YouTube, and the first suggestions that came up were "bladerunners" and "bladerunners 49" or extensions of those.
Also noticed this. Google/YouTube auto fill suggestions have been non existent for me.

oneils

Huh, I thought this was being released next month. And to be honest, even though I want to see it, I’m in no rush.

Because our bar has been lowered so much that we see something that slightly reminds us of good art as greatness.

Nolan’s artistry is knowing how to push the current audiences buttons. He’s a glossy JJ Abrams.

I can't handle all the edge and awful opinion from this guy. Even your username sounds pretentious as hell.

Kadayi

Banned
The international breakout isn't fully populated yet. The total international is $49M through Sunday,

The $49 figure went up before the weekend was even over here in Euroland. The whole reason the actual numbers weren't there is because it was a gestimate.

Sanjuro

I wonder how GITS releasing before this impacted BR2049. Because that was a stinker.

anyhow...

TDKR felt fine to me

I don't see much tie in between the two films, other than they both aren't wildly popular.

Kadayi

Banned
3d or no 3d?

Seen it in both. I'd say stick with the 2D. It's a stunning looking film but there isn't much advantage to 3D really from what I could see, save some bits flying through the City.

That's pretty normal for any IMAX showing before 6pm.

^ Truth. I had the day off so went and enjoyed it again at the local multiplex with barely any other people, around mid-day. Was glorious.

You completely missed the point.
You, also, completely missed the point.
My goodness, I guess I was naive about my cyberpunk-lovin' peers' level of reading comprehension.

Don't act so insulted. You're ripping on something you haven't seen. I get what you're trying to say and 99 out of a 100 times you would've been right. But in this case it mostly illustrates you lack imagination. Blade Runner 2049 is a wonderful film. The kind that doesn't come around often. So what if it is a sequel to something that didn't necessarily need one? They fucking made it work dude. Do yourself a favor and go see it in a theatre when you still can.

Cool for you. I live in the world where this got made. If I have to wait another 30 years for another film with this subject matter made with such an uncompromising vision I'll do that / no s.

This too, hear hear.

Get'sMad

Even the visuals the critics went on about were quite limited and bland.

a lot of it looked spectacular but any of the interior scenes that used a lot of white (the police station, Ks place, some of the spinners) were incredibly generic and bland.

I still liked the movie a lot and think it would have been essentially the same, and probably a better movie, if a half hour shorter but even then it still would have tanked unfortunately.

a lot of it looked spectacular but any of the interior scenes that used a lot of white (the police station, Ks place, some of the spinners) were incredibly generic and bland.
Given how visually distinct the contrast is, I think we can say that was a very intentional design choice, to have the LAPD and K’s apartment look muted and sterile and stripped down. Especially K’s apartment. Just look at the contrast in the lighting and atmosphere between his apartment interior and the rooftop exterior.

People keep mentioning that like it’s a mistake. If it’s that noticeable, and seems so odds with other imagery and visuals, that’s probably saying something

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
People keep mentioning that like it's a mistake. If it's that noticeable, and seems so odds with other imagery and visuals, that's probably saying something

When you think about how much this film cost, per frame, and how considerate Villenueve is, I doubt anything is a "mistake." The design choices might not "hit," but they are there for a reason.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Watched it in IMAX and a week after release I wouldn't expect a full house, but this theatre was nearly filled out, was glad to see that. Just posted impression in the main thread but I absolutely loved it, spectacular film on all fronts.

So, kinda like the original?

I havent seen it yet, but will soon and this is kinda what I was expecting.

It's not really a movie concerned with gotchas or hiding clues. It's a mood piece. A character piece. A world building piece. The overarching story is fine, but you're in it to see these characters move in the space and live in their world and really contemplate what the fuck our future is gonna be.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Given how visually distinct the contrast is, I think we can say that was a very intentional design choice, to have the LAPD and K's apartment look muted and sterile and stripped down. Especially K's apartment. Just look at the contrast in the lighting and atmosphere between his apartment interior and the rooftop exterior.

People keep mentioning that like it's a mistake. If it's that noticeable, and seems so odds with other imagery and visuals, that's probably saying something

"It's stylistically designed to be that way"

Aselith

The police station when they show the hall is full of people. K's apartment being barren is a mirror of his life and the Wallace HQ being huge and empty is an indication of wealth like the conspicuous abundance of water.

The aesthetic has a purpose and makes sense. 2049 LA is a dense Kowloon nightmare. It's a world that has rapidly been rapidly built through streamlined construction technology. Everything looks sterile and buildings look like prefabbed parts lego'd together because they are a rapidly expanding society. There's no room for artistry because art is inefficient to rapid industrialization.

anyhow...

TDKR felt fine to me

My crackpot theory is that people rented the first Bladerunner in the lead up.

I think that could chase most people away. I'm 32 and only now find something to appreciate, but dont really like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom