• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazeBlue: New HD2D Fighter From Arc System Works

Darkpen

Banned
akachan ningen said:
yuck. I wonder how much money they spent on those voices. I thought they wanted to turn a profit on this game.
Are you complaining about the voices? Really? It sounds just as bad as the Japanese track. :/ I don't see how they could have possibly improved the voices, or gotten better voices, at all.

west

ZealousD said:
It has online, and I keep seeing that the netcode is GGPO inspired. Can't 100% confirm that, though.

Console release isn't out in Japan yet. They're getting it on June 25, we're getting it June 30.

Cool.. I will be in Japan during the launch then...

Halvie

Banned
ZealousD said:
It has online, and I keep seeing that the netcode is GGPO inspired. Can't 100% confirm that, though.

Console release isn't out in Japan yet. They're getting it on June 25, we're getting it June 30.

Don't feel like looking the post up, but the guy from Aksys did say the netcode will have a rollback algorithm...pretty sure he said that it would be better than HDR.

AksysNutSack

Neo Member
I wouldn't call it better than HDR but I would say its very similar to HDR and probably better than SF4. As for the voicing, it does support Dual language so if you feel the US voice is not up to snuff, go ahead and go back to the original Japanese voices. I can however say despite ONLY V13 and Litchi being released, I personally feel the other voices for Ragna, Jin, Tager and Bang does justice for their characters.

Also, for clarification, the game does come out 5 days after the Japanese release date. However, the Japanese version is identical to the US version minus the Limited Edition bundle :D

And for some of you on the fence, despite this game having similar ties to the Guilty Gear series, I assure you the game is far easier to get into than Guilty Gear XX whatever. The game is definitely easier and yet has depth.

I hope this helps...

LowParry

I'll probably give this a rent before purchase. Too close to KOFXII time. Plus I wasn't really that big into GG. But I'm good for something new!

Darkpen said:
Are you complaining about the voices? Really? It sounds just as bad as the Japanese track. :/ I don't see how they could have possibly improved the voices, or gotten better voices, at all.

If that's the case, then it was a waste of money anyway right?

matmanx1

Great new info and videos here folks, thanks alot! THIS is the game I bought and modded an arcade stick for and I can't wait to start playing! Good news about the dual language being in the final release, I appreciate it when gamers are given the choice of which one they want to listen to.

I'm also excited about the LE bundle. Hopefully there will be some good instructional stuff in there for those of us who are just getting into BB. I know I need all the help I can get!

UltiGamer

I have pre-ordered the game now and am excited about the blu-ray being included. I do have one question though. Are there going to be any arcade sticks related to this game released here in the states? I saw on play-asia that Japan is getting some, perhaps Hori will be nice enough to release those here too. Also, is Madcatz gonna be doing anything for Blazblue? There is nothing better than some competition to get the quality of both products raised.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
nyprimus2 said:
If my brother preordered the 360 LE today do you think he would get the artbook?

Artbook is only for GameStop online preorders. You won't get the artbook if you preorder in store. It's still showing on the GameStop website last I checked.

ZealousD

momolicious said:
What i dont get is why does this game have like the smallest character list for a fighter?

12 characters isn't that small.

Volcynika

momolicious said:
What i dont get is why does this game have like the smallest character list for a fighter?

Think it's partially for balancing issues. More characters = more work to do to balance the fighters.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
momolicious said:

Because it's an HD fighter. It's hella time consuming to make HD animation by hand. KoF XII has a small list of characters too.

FoxSpirit

akachan ningen said:
If that's the case, then it was a waste of money anyway right?

Actually, believe it or not... SCEA has made English voices mandatory.
AkSys HAD to do them for the release.

On a sidenote, in light of recent events, I find your avatar slightly creepy.

Chowfahn

Neo Member
momolicious said:
Because it's the first iteration of the Blazblue series. There's a few rumors floating around that there'll be an expansion with new characters later this year, and there are some images of new characters on Dustloop if you want to go find them. So far, there's Kokonoe (pink-haired catgirl, boss of Litchi and Tager), Valkenhein (Rachel's butler), Lin Fa (Litchi's helper at a clinic), another cat dude (Taokaka's ancestor?), Tsubaki (Jin's friend and Noel's classmate), and a guy with golden eyes that looks like Johnny from GG. He appears in the latest trailer as well. Most of these characters will show up in the story mode, but it's unknown which ones will be playable later on.

Also, I just bought Senko no Ronde recently and was kinda bummed to see it only had 8 characters, but it's still a fun game.

Edit: didn't Guilty Gear only start off with 11 characters?

Pachinko

I'm super curious about something now, perhaps people more in the know about this title could fill me in-

This is basically Guilty Gear 2, the way it looks, plays even the music, kind of common knowledge I guess but what I'm wondering is wether arc sys works tried to reobtain their property from segasammy or if it was really just easier to make a new name? I mean I guess the characters on the whole arent' really much worse off for their wacky designs then guilty gear was and arcsys had been creating 2d guilty gear titles for the better part of a decade... but I'm honestly curious if they would have rather had the old liscense back.

Also curious about development time on something like this- shane bettenhausen in a G4 interview had mentioned that in KOF12, each sprite was 18 months of work to redraw in higher resolution mostly likely because of the method they used (rendering every frame on a flat shaded colorless 3d model then drawing overtop of that pixel by pixel). Did it take that long for blazeblue to be finished?

This is definetly something I want to try out, haven't played a guilty gear esque game since XX #reload.

DrFunk

Pachinko said:
I'm super curious about something now, perhaps people more in the know about this title could fill me in-

This is basically Guilty Gear 2, the way it looks, plays even the music, kind of common knowledge I guess but what I'm wondering is wether arc sys works tried to reobtain their property from segasammy or if it was really just easier to make a new name? I mean I guess the characters on the whole arent' really much worse off for their wacky designs then guilty gear was and arcsys had been creating 2d guilty gear titles for the better part of a decade... but I'm honestly curious if they would have rather had the old liscense back.

Also curious about development time on something like this- shane bettenhausen in a G4 interview had mentioned that in KOF12, each sprite was 18 months of work to redraw in higher resolution mostly likely because of the method they used (rendering every frame on a flat shaded colorless 3d model then drawing overtop of that pixel by pixel). Did it take that long for blazeblue to be finished?

This is definetly something I want to try out, haven't played a guilty gear esque game since XX #reload.

FYI: There already is a Guilty Gear 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guilty_Gear_2:_Overture) But yeah, you can call it GG 2.5.

And about the animation, my guess is that it's was a little easier, because each frame is hand drawn, and scanned into a computer to be colorized. Like the SF Alpha Series. BUt also, it could be more difficult, since it's a higher resolution that KoF XII. I dunno.

anybody have any details?

Chowfahn

Neo Member
momolicious said:
will the characters be DLC? or would they release a new game like guilty gear..
I think it was said at one point that BB would have DLC at one point, but nobody knows what it will be yet. But I'm also fairly sure that every iteration of Guilty Gear brought something new to the series besides just characters. My guess: DLC = new characters, next version in the series = new characters and mechanic changes.

DrFunk said:
FYI: There already is a Guilty Gear 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guilty_Gear_2:_Overture) But yeah, you can call it GG 2.5.

And about the animation, my guess is that it's was a little easier, because each frame is hand drawn, and scanned into a computer to be colorized. Like the SF Alpha Series. BUt also, it could be more difficult, since it's a higher resolution that KoF XII. I dunno.

anybody have any details?
Arc Sys did use 3D models to make the sprites, same as SNK. The only difference I can think of is that some people said KoF XII uses "pixel art", or each sprite is drawn pixel by pixel. BB's sprites look like they were simply drawn over the 3D model. I don't even know why anybody would draw a sprite that size pixel-by-pixel, but I guess that's just what they do?

FoxSpirit

Yes. It's also rotoscoped, just like KOFXII, though a bit different.

Daisuke Ishiwatari: One difference between BlazBlue and KOF is that after we have the animators design things like the shadows, we go in and make corrections ourselves.

Junya Motomura (graphics designer): Yeah, compared to KOF, the BlazBlue sprites are closer to being hand-drawn, because we only use the 3D graphics as an outline. In KOF, they do all the shadows and shading in 3D, and then convert them into 2D sprites, but in Blaz Blue, we redraw the sprites by hand.
---

To be fair though, the SNK artists sometimes were very creative in how they put the shadows from 2D into 3D. But they did use precast shadows as guidelines while BlazBlue did not, I guess that's the biggest difference.

DrFunk

All this makes me wonder how long SF III took to produce. And how many slaves Capcom had on hand

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Chowfahn said:
Because it's the first iteration of the Blazblue series. There's a few rumors floating around that there'll be an expansion with new characters later this year, and there are some images of new characters on Dustloop if you want to go find them. So far, there's Kokonoe (pink-haired catgirl, boss of Litchi and Tager), Valkenhein (Rachel's butler), Lin Fa (Litchi's helper at a clinic), another cat dude (Taokaka's ancestor?), Tsubaki (Jin's friend and Noel's classmate), and a guy with golden eyes that looks like Johnny from GG. He appears in the latest trailer as well. Most of these characters will show up in the story mode, but it's unknown which ones will be playable later on.

Also, I just bought Senko no Ronde recently and was kinda bummed to see it only had 8 characters, but it's still a fun game.

Edit: didn't Guilty Gear only start off with 11 characters?

Yes, BB will get an expansion later this year, so no worries about that.

Personally I enjoy the smaller cast because even though the game is unbalanced as all gets out, each character has a very unique playing style.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
The guy in the intro, with the hat, that's Hazama, from the intel department for the faction Noel and Jin are in.

ZealousD

Has anybody found a trophy list for the game yet? I'm working on the official thread, and while I have the achievement list I can't find its trophies.

ZealousD

momolicious said:
Its probably the same as the achievements

I have no doubt about that, but gamerscore and trophies are different things. We don't know which achievments would turn into bronze, silver, and gold trophies.

How deep are the voice options in here? Is it just an on/off switch, or can you still have special movies called out, but not a voice for every single thing you do?

jsrv

Just a quick question, I don't know anything about arcade sticks, but my brother is thinking about getting either the SF4 arcade stick or the tournament stick by Madcatz. Is the button layout compatible with Blazblue? Just asking for him

jsrv said:
Just a quick question, I don't know anything about arcade sticks, but my brother is thinking about getting either the SF4 arcade stick or the tournament stick by Madcatz. Is the button layout compatible with Blazblue? Just asking for him
Yeah it's fine

Four button game

3101759804_416e4a37a6.jpg

momolicious said:
there is a slider for those?

btw, can you be good with the game without a stick?
I have a friend who is a fucking beast on Accent Core Wii with a standard Gamecube controller, so anything is possible.
+ this is supposed to be less complex than GG

jergrah

Review in the newest GameInformer = 7.75 (both reviewers scored it this way)

- Challenging and complex fighter
- Learning is a slow/aggravating grind
- Newcomers will take plenty of lumps before mastering any characters
- Throwing special attacks with the right analog helps even the field for beginners though

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I recently put this and KoF XII on pre-order. PS3 version. I shall enjoy hi res fighting fun on the big screen. Oh yes...

jergrah said:

- Throwing special attacks with the right analog helps even the field for beginners though
Same range of scores GG gets from them so I'm not really worried.

Chowfahn

Neo Member
jergrah said:

Any details on the story mode?

jergrah

Chowfahn said:
Any details on the story mode?

They dont really talk about a story/carrer mode, but say the following about the game's story:
Longwinded mess of a story and say the only thrill is the 1 on 1 combat.
The 2nd reviewer asked if he was playing a 2D fighter or a drug induced gothic hallucination :p

Top Bottom