• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bleach Manga |OT| Return of the King

At least we got a tiny bit for Yhwach's motivations. Kinda.

No explanation whatsoever for what the soul king was, though. Why he was Yhwach's "father." Why his hands were wandering around, and why one was a sternritter. When it comes down to it, I think that's the unresolved point among the dozens upon dozens that'll bug me the most. We could always extrapolate I guess, think that he was some progenitor entity that spawned both the shinigami and the quincy, that it's why one hand was with each group. Or that he's literally Yhwach's father, a quincy taken during the war to serve as the lynchpin. Guess we'll have to hope for a databook.

Cute ending in general tho, if you set aside the total lack of resolution for a million things. Maybe Aizen's the new lynchpin, like we all thought he'd be?
The Soul King was the nexus that holds together (but separate) the various realms. Yhwach needed to destroy him in order to blend all the worlds together; that's why shit was falling apart. That's also why his various parts consist of representatives of each world: shinigami for Soul Society, quincy for the real world, and probably hollow for Hueco Mundo (which we didn't see). And maybe one piece for Hell, too (which we also didn't see).

In the end, Yhwach's world would have been better, but, you know. "Courage."

cordy

Banned
How in the fuck did Ichigo and Rukia look more like a couple in the ending than the actual couples they're apart of? Oh, I know why.

Not surprised. I'm let down by every manga ending these days.

tauroxd

The two of them can create a Karakura defence force along with Kon.

Some sort of serious villain could be a Vasto Lorde that has escaped Hueco Mundo. Then, when Kazui and Ichika can't defeat it, Isshin shows up to take it down.

I'm going to keep thinking of these potential stories all day now :3

Why you do this to me, man? :(

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I like the kid designs. Older Ichigo looks like Younger Isshin, so that's cool too.

The story hit a wall mid-momentum and fell flat. This ending might as well exist in a complete vacuum like was said above

I don't even understand how Yhwach was defeated.
So Yhwach attained the power of the entire quincyverse, making him nigh invincible. To combat this, the shinigami gathered up four Ichigos and transferred his power into a cosmic thought zanpakuto. He fought with Yhwach evenly for a while, but even that couldn't hold out. In the end, he was able push Yhwach into the Overvoid, where eventually even his thoughts stopped.

I don't even understand how Yhwach was defeated.

Aizen used his power on Ywach, which makes sense since Ywach sees all, including Aizen's illusion shit. But then Ywach gets hit by some bullshit silver arrow that turns off his powers, after which Ichigo cuts him in half. It's terrible nonsense, but you're reading Bleach, so what did you expect?

Soriku

Aizen used his power on Ywach, which makes sense since Ywach sees all, including Aizen's illusion shit. But then Ywach gets hit by some bullshit silver arrow that turns off his powers, after which Ichigo cuts him in half. It's terrible nonsense, but you're reading Bleach, so what did you expect?

Yeah like

I SAW what happened...

But the way he was offed was insanely cheap, unsatisfying, and frankly unacceptable for how powerful Yhwach was supposed to be. To the point that it doesn't make sense.

I'd have preferred Kubo drawing a Jump editor throwing white out on Yhwach.

The fight with Aizen was a masterpiece in comparison.

Verelios

In a vacuum, this is a perfectly acceptable ending. Has just the right amount of fan service.

Unfortunately...

Hope Kubo works with a writer next time.
Of course it's a good ending in a vacuum. Every other story thread would have been concluded by this point, ships would have been breadcrumbed, Naruto hadn't just ended with an eerily similar premise.

Kubo

Permanently A

Great video about the downfall of Bleach posted in OT thread. Honestly watching it made me feel sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACq7tgjHdGA

DXu6pEV.jpg

Heroman

Banned
In a vacuum, this is a perfectly acceptable ending. Has just the right amount of fan service.

Unfortunately...

Hope Kubo works with a writer next time.
Naw even in a vacuum it was a shit ending. The end of dragon ball z was a good ending, tis wasnt.

Yeah like

I SAW what happened...

But the way he was offed was insanely cheap, unsatisfying, and frankly unacceptable for how powerful Yhwach was supposed to be. To the point that it doesn't make sense.

I'd have preferred Kubo drawing a Jump editor throwing white out on Yhwach.

The fight with Aizen was a masterpiece in comparison.

I think the worst part was that they had literally just established that his power allows him to change futures where he dies, and since Ishida's arrow had already worn off, there was literally no reason for him not to repeat the same thing he did after Aizen's gambit

I wonder if there'll be one last databook to clear up the loose ends (abilities we never saw, what happened to characters he couldn't jam into the last 2 chapters, etc ).

Like I said in the other thread, the video was good, I agree with that, I instantly feel in love with Bleach adn I still love it, really, even though all it's faults.
The irony is that the anime filler arcs very much did try to change up the story structure. You had the mystery of the Bount, you had the betrayal of the new captain, and you had whatever the hell the sword rebellion arcs were about. And beach episodes: the best ones. Heck, the Fulbringer arc felt like a retread of Bount!

The problem was that some these were just filler, they all had to be inconsequential.

Eusis

I think the worst part was that they had literally just established that his power allows him to change futures where he dies, and since Ishida's arrow had already worn off, there was literally no reason for him not to repeat the same thing he did after Aizen's gambit
I think it was like Uryu's arrow caused a blackout and during that period everything was rolling back to "on." He had enough strength back in time to break the shell of Ichigo's bankai but not the actual sword itself, and likely hadn't gotten the Almighty fully turned back on (his eyes were still normal, though I guess after goo eyes those aren't really being used to show it's on now... But then that's when you CAN'T see his normal eyes.)

Its been a few days and I've processed it.

THANK YOU KUBO for everything. These last 15 years of Bleach will always hold a special place in my heart. I'm so sad to see that it was rushed and not everything was resolved like it should have been but you did your best.

Even when entire people were against you and constantly called for your termination and even forced you off Twitter, you still stuck through. From the moment Ichigo stabbed Rukia's Zanpaktou into himself to gain his powers to striking down Juha Bach, you've made an incredible journey. I eagerly await your next work so until then, enjoy your rest.

Arabesque

Great video about the downfall of Bleach posted in OT thread. Honestly watching it made me feel sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACq7tgjHdGA

DXu6pEV.jpg

It seems to be a lot of retreads of the Downfall of Bleach video, just a little more compact and trying to take away some blame off of Kubo. It's good because it touches upon the same points, but I do think the point about how much worse the art had gotten post-Arrancar arc and especially in the 1000 Year arc is the biggest give away Kubo stopped giving a shit a long time ago this past half decade.

Even when entire people were against you and constantly called for your termination and even forced you off Twitter,.

I'm sure the former happened from time to time when he was on Twitter, but the bold never actually did? Kubo wasn't forced off of Twitter, he quit it because someone was impersonating him and Shueisha acted to protect his identity.

Kubo had been getting annoyed with people on Twitter during the heyday of the manga, and he never quit then.

MissStormCaller on Tumblr finished translating the WE DO knot ALWAYS LOVE YOU novel, here are the links for anyone that wants to check it out.

Prologue + Reports 1 Part 1, Part 2
Reports 2 Part 1, Part 2
Reports 3
Reports 4 Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
Marriage Registration 1/2 Part 1, Part 2
Marriage Registration 3
Marriage Registration 4
Marriage Registration 5
Marriage Registration 6
The Ceremony 1
The Ceremony 2
The Ceremony 3
The Ceremony 4
The Ceremony 5

Despite what we initially thought this novel was not focused on romance, it was using Renji/Rukia's wedding to see what the Shinigami and Humans were up to in the 3 year gap. Gives some closure on questions such as Sajin, Yoruichi, Urahara. We also get to see the beauracratic mess marrying someone of noble status and seated officers gets you into, Renji and Rukia should be glad Byakuya was there to guide them through the whole thing. Enjoyed the novel and glad that I imported it, helps that the cover was beautiful.

Brave Souls (mobile gacha game) recently had the Uryu, FB Bankai Ichigo, and Bankai Ginjo banner so I'm really curious to see if they will delve into manga territory in the coming months.

I have no idea what this is? Is it another book like the renji/rukia wedding?

Yeah, it's another light novel that goes into Tosen's friend's killer who is the current head of one of the 4 noble clans and some stuff about the war (Squad 0 are all alive, Yhwach is being used as the new soul king, Giselle/Liltotto/Zombie Bambietta are alive and were saved by Jugram's aide, Hallibel was saved by Nelliel)

here's a breakdown of some info that was stated in some of the previews of it we've been given so far by Animask on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/bleach/comments/6g7jzb/cant_fear_your_own_world_masterpost/

Edit: Rereading this, some of the info is wrong/outdated, well he'll probably update this when more translations release.

Eusis

I wonder how much was actually thought up and at least vaguely planned by Tite Kubo, and how much of it may be Jorge Joestar again.

Probably won't ever be that insane (disappointly, although Lille rampaging for days then going "whatever bye guys" is comical to think about.)

Seeing this thread get bumped is like running into someone you used to be great friends with, but then had an awkward parting of ways

Eusis

Seeing this thread get bumped is like running into someone you used to be great friends with, but then had an awkward parting of ways
And they teased you about big things happening in their lives that they presumably wanted to share, but never did. And now you're cornering them and going "so what was the deal then?"

Wedding shit is plodding, incoherent and doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

But at least it has a semblance of fucking plot so there's that going for it. 95% of this should have, maybe, been in the actual book but hey.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
And they teased you about big things happening in their lives that they presumably wanted to share, but never did. And now you're cornering them and going "so what was the deal then?"

Ooooo this is all sorts of accurate. That saod, i am actually waiting on bated breath for Kubos next thing.

Arabesque

I wonder how much was actually thought up and at least vaguely planned by Tite Kubo, and how much of it may be Jorge Joestar again.

Little of column A, a lot from column B.

Much like the wedding novel, seems that Ryogo Narita has free reign on how to write and shape the story, and Kubo just gave him some notes and directions on certain things.

Probably going to end up like Jorge Joestar again by the second (or third, they never specified if this was going to be an ongoing series it seems) light novel. And it honestly might be for the best given how Kubo's last 5 years were like.

Wedding shit is plodding, incoherent and doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

But at least it has a semblance of fucking plot so there's that going for it. 95% of this should have, maybe, been in the actual book but hey.

It should have, but the writer of the wedding novel isn't Kubo so hey!

I finished reading the wedding light novel, and I can see why it would appeal to many Bleach fans. It's a lot of character interactions and revisiting dynamics and history between them that Kubo either never cared for or just forgot about as the series went on.

For myself, I really liked the moments between Nanao, Momo and Lisa in the novel the most. Not only was it closer for the relationship we knew Nanao and Lisa shared as student and mentor, but also sheds some light on how the events from Turn Back the Pendulum shaped the secondary cast to be who they are.

Would have been great to actually get more of that in the series proper, like in the final arc that was lacking greatly in significant interactions and bonding outside of brief segments, but hey!

For the wedding itself and Rukia and Renji, I felt that what hurt the novel the most was that we never actually got to see the 2 get together or have that moment of intimacy where they say they love each other or decide to get married. It all jumped straight to the announcement to the people they knew.

Renji's own perspective on his relationship with Rukia was also missing, as was Rukia's own feeling about Renji. I know the basis for how they got together was that they were childhood friends, but come on man, there was like 4 decades of no contact + dude tried to get her killed half a decade before!

But, I did like that we got more Rukia and Byakuya, and the moments where he shows glimpses of happiness for her is sweet. Also liked the talk about how people sought to find small pieces of normalcy in the soul society after the war that devastated their infrastructure and seemingly killed a lot of their race.

The author of WDKALY stated that she didn't put the actual love confession because she didn't want to ruin what people's headcanon for that moment would be.

Arabesque

The author of WDKALY stated that she didn't put the actual love confession because she didn't want to ruin what people's headcanon for that moment would be.

That's nice sentiment, and great that they thought about the fans, but it detracts from the actual novel that is centered around how these 2 are getting married.

And the first love confession doesn't mean it had to be the marriage proposal. Or not getting some intimate moments between Rukia and Renji.

Arabesque

Whats Kubo been up to? Any word of some new project?

From the last interview he gave, he's relaxing mostly, playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild and reading manga.

He thought about some stuff to work on like ice skating (because of Yuri on Ice) but doesn't have anything planned. Seems to be enjoying ending the series and having lots of free time.

I do want to see the full translated interview from Viz down the line, since it also goes into what his writing process was like.

huh a bleach thred is active that's weird

Kind of an odd feeling, right? But we are getting a new novel in a month which addresses a lot of what Kubo left hanging by the end, and there seems to be a lot of the live action movie news now.

KLAB is adding Thousand Year Blood War characters to their mobile game BLEACH Brave Souls. Announced on their 2nd Anniversary livestream.

dSeI9zy.png

They also revealed some sketches for Can't Fear Your Own World Part 1 by Kubo.

if4I3FG.png

mSwTA3N.png

Arabesque

So I haven't been keeping up with the chapter serialization, so my first reaction to seeing Bambietta alive was ''wait what''.

Then I remembered ''oh right, zombie''.

Then I noticed that Rudobone is also in the picture and went back to ''wait what'' all over again lol

Narita is going to make this insane it seems. Jorge Joestar might no longer be an appropriate comparison lol

The addition of the manga exclusive charterers into the game makes me think there might be a new anime to coincide with the movie release next year. Or that they judged that there was no point in an anime to continue on promoting the game.

In either case, good news for BraveSouls fans.

Top Bottom