• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard: consoles soon obsolete, becoming one with PCs

Razoric

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
Surfing the net on my TV sucks. I've done it on the PS3 and Wii already and the PC is where it's at for me.

I don't see the next Xbox running Vista, at least not a full blown Vista. If anything, it's going to be custom like it is now. A custom OS is better for gaming IMO.

That's what I ment by a "version of Vista". The lines will be blurred between consoles and PCs even more in the next generation. That's what the guy is saying, and he's right.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Razoric said:
That's what I ment by a "version of Vista". The lines will be blurred between consoles and PCs even more in the next generation. That's what the guy is saying, and he's right.

Yes. The line has been continually blurred over the years, and it will continue - but what I am simply saying is I don't ever see just the PC and not the console. What I see is a PC/console world where the two work in harmony. Not one overtaking the other and one going away.

Kabouter

Dr_Cogent said:
I'm also in the "done with PC gaming" crowd. It's too expensive. It takes too much time to set shit up. I'm tired of monkeying with drivers. I'm tired of incompatibility issues. I'm tired of having to keep up with the Jones' so I can play the latest and greatest games in all their glory. The console model works far better for me. I still use my PC tons, but I just don't game on it.

Just wondering, how much do PC games cost and how much do console games cost in the US? Because here the more expensive hardware is more than made up for by the fact that PC games usually cost half of console games (30-35 for PC, 60-70 for consoles).

its the other way around

next gen consoles are becoming central entertament hubs in the comfort if your living room
on your big ass TV

next gen after this one will be a big kick in the nuts to PC gaming as whatever next motha consoles will be in store

surfin the web, playing games, downloading music and tv shows... they will be on console and they are classy and snazzy

biggreenmachine

The bleeding edge of news reporting...
Razoric said:
:lol :lol

Are you guys even reading what he said?

Maybe in five years you won't need a console because you'll have one PC which delivers content all over your house."

Of course I read it. Do you think my response is somehow invalid or do you just enjoy belittling my opinion?

Kabouter

Razoric said:

They'll probably just rip the media center interface (it's quite a bit better than the 360 dashboard interface anyway) and adapt it for a console.

Draft

He's right. Gaming came from PCs and to PCs it will return. You have no chance, console fans. Embrace your destiny. Buy a video card.

gutter_trash said:
its the other way around

next gen consoles are becoming central entertament hubs in the comfort if your living room
on your big ass TV

next gen after this one will be a big kick in the nuts to PC gaming as whatever next motha consoles will be in store

surfin the web, playing games, downloading music and tv shows... they will be on console and they are classy and snazzy

Some games will always be done better on PC unless a console adopts kb/m as a standard controller.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Companies have been saying that consoles are gonna die at the hands of the PC ever since the 80's. So far it hasn't happened, and I highly doubt it's gonna happen within the next 10-20 years. The average person can't be arsed to download updates, tinker around with drivers, upgrade their video cards/RAM every year or two... they just want to buy a system, hook up some video jacks, put a DVD in the drive, hit power, and play... free of BS.

Kabouter

gutter_trash said:
That's what's said every generation. This one was the same way, before they were out "yep, PC gaming is doomed. It's dead. These consoles will finish them off". And in the end, PC gaming will continue. I for one think that so long as people are using PC's, which will be a long time indeed, there will be games for the platform.

Safe Bet

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
Surfing the net on my TV sucks.
I love surfing the web from my livingroom couch...

*shrug*

Don't get me wrong though, the PS3's web browser has a ways to go before it can match the sheer functionality of a pc-based web browser...

Kabouter

djtiesto said:
Companies have been saying that consoles are gonna die at the hands of the PC ever since the 80's. So far it hasn't happened, and I highly doubt it's gonna happen within the next 10-20 years. The average person can't be arsed to download updates, tinker around with drivers, upgrade their video cards/RAM every year or two... they just want to buy a system, hook up some video jacks, put a DVD in the drive, hit power, and play... free of BS.

So basically what you're saying is that as soon as there's a downloadable games service that auto-installs the games you buy online a Dell/HP/Whatever PC is perfect for the average consumer? And upgrading every year or two is of course, bullshit, as has been stated many times before on GAF you can easily use a PC for four years without upgrading and still play every game you want to.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Kabouter said:
Just wondering, how much do PC games cost and how much do console games cost in the US? Because here the more expensive hardware is more than made up for by the fact that PC games usually cost half of console games (30-35 for PC, 60-70 for consoles).

New PC games are usually 50 bucks. New console games for the 360 and PS3 are 60. Wii are 50 from what I have seen.

Kabouter

Dr_Cogent said:
New PC games are usually 50 bucks. New console games for the 360 and PS3 are 60. Wii are 50 from what I have seen.

Wow, console games are cheap there.
PS3 games are priced at 70e currently in pre-order here (a little over $90), 360 games usually 65e, PC games like I said mostly 30e (little under $40)

Tobor

Kabouter said:

You're right, PC games are cheaper. But my time is valuable to me, and I just don't want to fiddle with installs and settings anymore. Not to mention the number of times I have brought home PC games fired up to play only to find they don't work at all due to some hardware incompatibility, with a patch to come later(Darkstar One, i'm looking at you). It's just not fun anymore.

Kabouter said:
Wow, console games are cheap there.
PS3 games are priced at 70e currently in pre-order here (a little over $90), 360 games usually 65e, PC games like I said mostly 30e (little under $40)
i'd say pc games are usually $40 to $50 here. most games are $40, but the bigger games tend to be $50.

basically, as someone who used to live in the uk, PC games are one of the few things that get a fair conversion rate where as console games get the normal mark up.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Draft said:
He's right. Gaming came from PCs and to PCs it will return. You have no chance, console fans. Embrace your destiny. Buy a video card.

Hahah, in your dreams.

When I can plug my PC in, and it starts up for the very first time - and don't have to do shit to play a game, then I will play on PCs again.

I don't see it happening for a very long time if ever.

Kabouter

Tobor said:
You're right, PC games are cheaper. But my time is valuable to me, and I just don't want to fiddle with installs and settings anymore. Not to mention the number of times I have brought home PC games fired up to play only to find they don't work at all due to some hardware incompatibility, with a patch to come later(Darkstar One, i'm looking at you). It's just not fun anymore.

Yeah, I just never have those experiences. And of course, installing is something that usually takes under a minute and an install usually stays in place for a good few months. As for settings, there's hope for you yet, the WinSAT tool in Vista determines your machine's performance and games will be able to use it's findings to determine the best settings for the game.

plagiarize said:
i'd say pc games are usually $40 to $50 here. most games are $40, but the bigger games tend to be $50.

basically, as someone who used to live in the uk, PC games are one of the few things that get a fair conversion rate where as console games get the normal mark up.

Probably part of the reason why PC gaming is still huge in Europe.

VALIS

I used to say the same thing you're all saying. Don't want to upgrade all the time, want to play on the big screen TV from the couch, the games are all the same, blah blah woof, but then I bought a mid-line graphics card for a mere $125 and started buying lots of games, and reading websites and mags about what has recently come out and what's in the future, and I'm a total convert. PC gaming is as great as it's ever been. Believe me, there are many more varied games in different genres than you think. It's just the PC gaming media isn't as, er, centralized as the console gaming press. You have to go looking for information instead of every game and news item always being represented on the major sites.

$125 card (7600 GS) and I can play any game I want, and run it well, too. 360 pads work great in most action games, wired or wireless. The cry of "too expensive" is very misguided.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Draft said:

And then buy a second video card in 2 years for $300? Yeah right. :lol

biggreenmachine

The bleeding edge of news reporting...
Tobor said:

I had similar problems also. Regardless, you can't compare PCs to consoles in terms of value. When was the last time a PC manufacturer sold their computer at a loss? Consoles are designed around the economy of making money on game software by promoting and sponsoring development.
I don't think I have ever seen a $500 PC I would consider a gaming PC good enough for the next 6 months let alone 5 years worth. Console gaming, like PC gaming isn't going anywhere anytime soon IMO.

Ristamar

Maybe in five years you won't need a console because you'll have one PC which delivers content all over your house...

:lol Right...

Anyway, it seems I've been doing most my PC gaming behind the hardware curve for the last 3 or 4 years. As long as you're not obsessed with playing titles as soon as they hit shelves, it's easier and far cheaper to upgrade to an average gaming rig every few years and play the best games you had missed due to hardware limitations.

Kabouter

mckmas8808 said:
And then buy a second video card in 2 years for $300? Yeah right. :lol
God....

VALIS said:
I used to say the same thing you're all saying. Don't want to upgrade all the time, want to play on the big screen TV from the couch, the games are all the same, blah blah woof, but then I bought a mid-line graphics card for a mere $125 and started buying lots of games, and reading websites and mags about what has recently come out and what's in the future, and I'm a total convert. PC gaming is as great as it's ever been. Believe me, there are many more varied games in different genres than you think. It's just the PC gaming media isn't as, er, centralized as the console gaming press. You have to go looking for information instead of every game and news item always being represented on the major sites.

$125 card (7600 GS) and I can play any game I want, and run it well, too. 360 pads work great in most action games, wired or wireless. The cry of "too expensive" is very misguided.

If only more people on GAF would just give PC gaming a chance like you.

ToxicAdam

The problem with having this discussion here is that we have alot of members that are Gamefaqs rejects that spew the same misinformation over and over without thinking. ("PC's need to upgrade every year", etc) So, I won't waste my time.

...and that is the reason why console gaming will never die. There are enough stupid people in the world that will want their gaming experience dumbed down as much as possible. Limit my controls, limit my options, limit the amount of time I need for setup. Nothing wrong with that .. gaming doesn't need to be rocket science.

It's a progression that's been going on for years, PC's becoming more like consoles (especially with this Games for Windows crap), and consoles becoming more like PC's (with the internet browsers and Xbox Live, etc)

It's not crazy to think consoles of the future will just be highly specialized PCs, I mean you've almost got one in a PS3 that runs linux already!

Durante

VALIS said:
Great post. Would read again.

Also, the best PC exclusive last year was Armadillo Run. And it's just €14.99. Show me something comparable on a console and I'll eat my hat.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
The problem with having this discussion here is that we have alot of members that are Gamefaqs rejects that spew the same misinformation over and over without thinking. ("PC's need to upgrade every year", etc) So, I won't waste my time.

PCs need upgrading more often than I have to buy the next console model from a manufacturer. At least if you want to play the latest games decently that is. You can always "technically" play on a POS if you want.

Kabouter

Dr_Cogent said:
PCs need upgrading more often than I have to buy the next console model from a manufacturer. At least if you want to play the latest games decently that is. You can always "technically" play on a POS if you want.
4.5 year old PC my parents have runs all PC games well.

Razoric

Banned
Kabouter said:
If only more people on GAF would just give PC gaming a chance like you.

The funny thing is they are. Oblivion, Unreal Tournament, Ghost Recon, etc etc are all "PC Games" being played on a consoles that have PC-like features. All the needs to happen now is MS release a new Xbox that plays Vista PC games and the world collision will be complete. You will have a $400 box playing PC games on your TV.... just like what he's saying.

The biggest thing keeping this from happening is the fact that alot of console based developers are used to developing titles on a specific set of hardware, I think it would be a hurdle to convince them to create games for an open platform like the PC in which hardware is interchangeable. I think that's the main difference between 'Console' and 'Personal Computer' that will live on for several generations to come at least.

Razoric

Banned
ElectricBlue187 said:
The biggest thing keeping this from happening is the fact that alot of console based developers are used to developing titles on a specific set of hardware, I think it would be a hurdle to convince them to create games for an open platform like the PC in which hardware is interchangeable. I think that's the main difference between 'Console' and 'Personal Computer' that will live on for several generations to come at least.

If Shadowrun were to ship on one disc and play on both PC and Xbox using the same code, wouldn't his point stand? Your "TV PC" would be your Xbox 360.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
ElectricBlue187 said:
It's a progression that's been going on for years, PC's becoming more like consoles (especially with this Games for Windows crap), and consoles becoming more like PC's (with the internet browsers and Xbox Live, etc)

It's not crazy to think consoles of the future will just be highly specialized PCs, I mean you've almost got one in a PS3 that runs linux already!

So you basically explained the exact reason why PCs will never be the leading platform in the videogame arena.

Razoric said:
If Shadowrun were to ship on one disc and play on both PC and Xbox using the same code, wouldn't his point stand? Your "TV PC" would be your Xbox 360.

for that to happen the Xbox would have to be designed to allow open platform games, something I doubt very seriously any of the big three are very crazy about since they make so much money of their exclusive games.

So you basically explained the exact reason why PCs will never be the leading platform in the videogame arena.

uh.........no i didn't. if the line is blurred enough a console == pc

Tobor

There is no need to get defensive and start down the "consoles are for dummies" road, people. I am perfectly capable of building my own PC, installing all the software and drivers I need, and installing and tweaking the games to get the best performance I can. I just don't want to. It's not about the cost of computer hardware, it's about how I want to spend my time. If Vista truly eases all of that, then great. To be honest though, between the 360, Wii and DS, I have more games than time as it is. I'm probably going to buy a macbook and call it a day.

:lol
Kabouter said:
4.5 year old PC my parents have runs all PC games well.

Yeah, i'm sure the best video cards back then like a radeon 9000 series or geoforce still runs all PC games well.......at 800 x 600 resolution with no AA

Dr_Cogent said:
That's purely subjective. What you consider running well, I may not.
eh, you get what you pay for. if you buy a top of the line PC it's going to last. i plan on doing that this summer.

yeah we're talking stupid money, but that gives me a machine with a console style lifetime, and a lot more uses.

a laptop... well yeah, that's going to become obsolete faster and more so it's a bitch to upgrade stuff on a laptop.

but don't think i'm a console games < pc games though.

i love games. on any system. each has it's very specific advantages. one of the things i'm going to do when i put together my new pc is run some long calbes from my pc to my tv and sound system so i can play stuff on the couch (only stuff that you'd use a pad for mind, FPS will still get played at my desk with mouse and keys).

i guess they are converging, but i don't think they'll ever fully converge.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The article is about bringing blizzard games to the console, since they were/are best suited for pc. Not console vs pc in general. They are gonna watch the console, and see if I game can be brought there.

This thread title is VERY misleading. On new sites they have things like "WOW on consoles?" for the title.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Kabouter said:
P4 2,4B
1,5GB RAM
Radeon 9700 pro 128MB

That video card is ancient. I have a faster video card than that and I feel like mine is totally out of date. I have a 6800 GT.

plagiarize said:
eh, you get what you pay for. if you buy a top of the line PC it's going to last.

Not long enough. Not as long as a console will. No one is going to change my mind regarding the situation. I've been PC gaming since the days of the Commodore 64, XT, ...

I'm done.

Kabouter

Mark Gonzales said:
:lol

Yeah, i'm sure the best video cards back then like a radeon 9000 series or geoforce still runs all PC games well.......at 800 x 600 resolution with no AA

You'd be surprised.
1024x768 with medium settings is perfectly doable for all but two or three games.

Durante

The Radeon 9700 Pro truly was a marvellous card. served me well in excess of 2 years. (And I'm not usually happy with medium settings)

Also, I got a new avatar. If there's one platform that needs defense against unfounded and uninformed opinionating on GAF, then it's the PC. Now I'll go back to playing Supreme Commander demo and dreaming about the one PC future :lol

Ristamar

Regardless of your stance on the expenses of PC gaming, the notion of having one PC as stated by Ben Bassat is ridiculous. Unless I'm terribly misinterpreting that sentence, he's suggesting Sony and Nintendo might suddenly decide to drop out of the hardware business and develop software for a what is essentially a Microsoft driven and controlled platform in the near future? Not happening. Current and future consoles will continue borrow and integrate PC-type services on a limited basis, but as long as there is no unified platform for console gaming, there's little chance we'll see a market-wide amalgamation of the two.

Razoric said:
:lol :lol

Are you guys even reading what he said?

But isn't that what he implied?

Maybe in five years you won't need a console because you'll have one PC which delivers content all over your house.

Is there another way of logically interpreting that statement?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
That video card is ancient. I have a faster video card than that and I feel like mine is totally out of date. I have a 6800 GT.
Yours is ancient. :lol@ you
No, mine is. 6600 GT :lol @me

DeathNote said:
The article is about bringing blizzard games to the console, since they were/are best suited for pc. Not console vs pc in general. They are gonna watch the console, and see if I game can be brought there.

Why would they bother? They have around 8 million active subscribers (in other words, not counting those who've given money to Blizz in the past but don't do so anymore) for WoW, and the number would have jumped with the Burning Crusade coming out.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Why would they bother? They have around 8 million active subscribers (in other words, not counting those who've given money to Blizz in the past but don't do so anymore) for WoW, and the number would have jumped with the Burning Crusade coming out.
More games=more money?
They aren't gonna stop putting into WOW if they make a new game. They announced a new exp every year.

Based on your argument, they shouldn't make a new Stracraft for the pc right? Cause their are rumors of that, or another mmorpg. It would be stupid right? They should only milk WOW forever?

Top Bottom