• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard: consoles soon obsolete, becoming one with PCs

[Nintex]

Blizzard will soon be obsolete, WOW is the only thing they made in like 10 years?
Show me Starcraft 2, Diablo otherwise they're just the WOW factory and I don't give a **** about that game. I'd say that Console's are becoming Mediacenters, but thank god not the crapfest that PC's are nowadays.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Teknopathetic said:
"Keyboards intuitive..."

You should spend less time emoting and more time working on your reading comprehension.
Yeah, I just guess I'm missing something here. Because you can't get more unintuitive to more people than a PC keyboard.

Razoric

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Blizzard will soon be obsolete, WOW is the only thing they made in like 10 years?
Show me Starcraft 2, Diablo otherwise they're just the WOW factory and I don't give a **** about that game. I'd say that Console's are becoming Mediacenters, but thank god not the crapfest that PC's are nowadays.

:lol :lol :lol wwooooooooww

Durante

[Nintex] said:
So he says. Yeah, it's no big deal:
Subscriptions_22726_image001.gif

WARCOCK

Banned
Blimblim said:
Until there is a way to completely control a PC from my couch without ever having to use a keyboard and a mouse, consoles won't be obsolete.

Shit now thats a convicing argument! In my case this has happened awhile ago, consoles dont have competitive gaming, hell for fighthing games you need to get to an arcade to really play. Once you go competitive in fairly serious manner, you cant go back to SP console gaming, it just becomes so pointless :/. As for the OP , blizz stfu with WoW and support the network that made you bitches, **** with an ip domain name like battle.net i dunno how you could drop the ball. :,(
http://www.battle.net/war3/ladder/W3XP-player-profile.aspx?Gateway=Lordaeron&PlayerName=kensa34lyfe

WOOP WOOP WOOP

Diablos

[Nintex] said:
You don't, I don't, but a lot of people do. As long as people keep playing WoW, Blizzard will not be obsolete. And they no doubt have another game up their sleeve for when WoW popularity finally starts to die down. Think about how much money they make. They could disappear for a year or two and come out with World of Starcraft and captivate millions of gamers once more for who even knows how long

[Nintex]

Diablos said:
You don't, I don't, but a lot of people do. As long as people keep playing WoW, Blizzard will not be obsolete. And they no doubt have another game up their sleeve for when WoW popularity finally starts to die down. Think about how much money they make. They could disappear for a year or two and come out with World of Starcraft and captivate millions of gamers once more for who even knows how long
But we still don't have our Starcraft 2... and that pisses me off...

Diablos

Bilzzard couldn't care less what you think. What they are doing clearly works and they're going to stick with the formula.

Listen, I don't like WoW either. I tried it, enjoyed the trial, paid for a couple months of it, but later I got pretty bored with it. No one is forcing me to play this game. That said, I really never played Warcraft or Starcraft, so I don't exactly share feel your pain when you say you want a bunch of games they abandoned back. :D

firex said:
I would love to see an end to consoles and proprietary formats, just because then it would mean an end to list wars, console wars, and essentially 4/5 of the stupid shit in the gaming section of the internet today.

Because the bolded is more important than gaming lol. Who cares about all that? All of this happens because of stupid journalism and stupid people. There will always be stuff like that. It's not related with the existance PC, consoles and proprietary formats.

Diablos said:
I really never played Warcraft or Starcraft, so I don't exactly share feel your pain when you say you want a bunch of games they abandoned back. :D

WHAT!

you should really give starcraft a shot, it's still a pretty fun game after all these years

they don't even really need to change much for Starcraft II, increase the resolution of the graphics, change the way you select units, improve the AI, add a new SP campaign.....beyond that the game is great just like it is

Tobor

ElectricBlue187 said:
WHAT!

you should really give starcraft a shot, it's still a pretty fun game after all these years

they don't even really need to change much for Starcraft II, increase the resolution of the graphics, change the way you select units, improve the AI, add a new SP campaign.....beyond that the game is great just like it is

Believe it or not, there are gamers out there who don't like RTS's.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
Just how old are you anyway? :D

I'm an old geezer.

32 technically.

At my job, I sit with a KB/M all ****ing day as well. So, I get kind of tired of being on the PC after being on it all day. That is just another compounding factor.

I love how some posters claim that consoles are not becoming similar to PC's and yet the entire Internet was arguing for months about the non gaming features of each upcoming console.

[Nintex] said:

Blizzard has made 8 games the last 10 years. WOW factory? Wtf are you talking about?

Tobor

devilscallmedad said:
well i bet they also never tried starcraft or warcraft 3

Uh, you're wrong. I played Starcraft, I even still have a copy tucked away somewhere. I can appreciate that Starcraft is a great RTS, probably the best RTS, but I just don't like RTS's. Sorry.

Vaporak

While I think 5 years is way to early of an estimate, some people in here are kind of missing his point. This isn't really about the games at all, it's simply an economic prediction. The path that Sony and Microsoft are taking their consoles on heads towards an area that Microsoft windows already dominates. As consoles get more PC-esque they will have to eventually deal with the juggernaut that is Microsoft Windows, a product that outsold all the past gen consoles combined. It's pretty simple to understand once you take a look at what Sony wants to do.

The PS3 Linux is one of Sony's first steps in a maneuver to try and dethrone Microsoft. Why Microsoft? Because Sony wants to own the standard platform through which all media passes, and so far Microsoft Windows is far closer to become that platform. Whys that such a good thing? It's because by virtue of how a purely information product scales to the mass market, Microsoft generates HUGE revenue for approximately zero effort. It's the position that every company wants to be in, and Sony thinks they have a shot at taking it away from Microsoft. Sony's starting by trying to control the optical disk standard (Blu-ray), and by turning the PS3 into a proprietary PC via PS3 Linux. Eventually, they want you doing everything on the PS4 or PS5 that you now do with Microsoft Windows, and that's why I think they will fail.

The market is resistant to change, and when Sony makes their move, Joe Sixpack isn't going to be using PSWrite, he'll be complaining about the lack of MSWord. He won't be using PSExplore, he'll be looking for the Internet Explorer icon. And he'll buy Microsoft's "console" that runs Microsoft Windows because it has all the applications that he is used to using. In addition to that though Microsoft saw the Sony console -> PC transition as being one of the times that Windows could be dethroned. So they are preemptively defending themselves, and as much as the Xbox supporters don't like it, the Xbox only exists to protect Windows. In the future, when Sony tries to push the “console” market to replace Windows, Microsoft will have set themselves up to be where the "console" users will transition to, and you can be damn sure Windows will be there to great them with open arms. :)

Razoric

Banned
Vaporak said:
While I think 5 years is way to early of an estimate, some people in here are kind of missing his point. This isn't really about the games at all, it's simply an economic prediction. The path that Sony and Microsoft are taking their consoles on heads towards an area that Microsoft windows already dominates. As consoles get more PC-esque they will have to eventually deal with the juggernaut that is Microsoft Windows, a product that outsold all the past gen consoles combined. It's pretty simple to understand once you take a look at what Sony wants to do.

The PS3 Linux is one of Sony's first steps in a maneuver to try and dethrone Microsoft. Why Microsoft? Because Sony wants to own the standard platform through which all media passes, and so far Microsoft Windows is far closer to become that platform. Whys that such a good thing? It's because by virtue of how a purely information product scales to the mass market, Microsoft generates HUGE revenue for approximately zero effort. It's the position that every company wants to be in, and Sony thinks they have a shot at taking it away from Microsoft. Sony's starting by trying to control the optical disk standard (Blu-ray), and by turning the PS3 into a proprietary PC via PS3 Linux. Eventually, they want you doing everything on the PS4 or PS5 that you now do with Microsoft Windows, and that's why I think they will fail.

The market is resistant to change, and when Sony makes their move, Joe Sixpack isn't going to be using PSWrite, he'll be complaining about the lack of MSWord. He won't be using PSExplore, he'll be looking for the Internet Explorer icon. And he'll buy Microsoft's "console" that runs Microsoft Windows because it has all the applications that he is used to using. In addition to that though Microsoft saw the Sony console -> PC transition as being one of the times that Windows could be dethroned. So they are preemptively defending themselves, and as much as the Xbox supporters don't like it, the Xbox only exists to protect Windows. In the future, when Sony tries to push the “console” market to replace Windows, Microsoft will have set themselves up to be where the "console" users will transition to, and you can be damn sure Windows will be there to great them with open arms. :)

Exactly... enter next-gen's "Xbox Vista". A console machine that plays PC Vista games, downloadable games and user Live Anywhere. :) I don't see how people cant see this coming. The signs are everywhere.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Dr_Cogent said:
No thank you.

I can't rock in my chair with KB/M.

I miss out on RTS games because of it, but I've never been a big fan of them anywhow.
I've played WoW for about a month now with a KB & M in front of my TV and got totally used to it
I just have the keyboard on my lap and the mouse is on the mattress, which I sit on too, so perhaps it'll be a tad less comfortable for people who have couches or something.

Vaporak said:

The PC platform is not defined through the operating system or the applications people use on it, but by the software and hardware development model behind it. PSWord could be 10 times better than MS Word because at any time, in the world of PCs, a company could come and develop a PSWord-like application and sell it on the PC without royalties...or even 10 companies could do that, creating a competition and driving prices down (although in the particular case of "PSWord" it would most likely be MS). That's the difference between PCs and proprietary platforms, not kb&m or bluray or whatever. If the guy wanted to say something interesting, he should have pointed out in what way the different business models of the PC and the proprietary platforms were converging (and they are in a few ways), but he didn't...he just said "the 360 is just a sophisticated PC" and even failed to mention in what way.

Lapsed

Banned
Blizzard is stating the obvious. What is the purpose of the console? It is an affordable games machine that sits in the living room. The console is always behind in the latest computer technology but the console focuses on improved controller interface and simplified games. The PC always has a more complicated interface due to the keyboard and mouse but this allows more complicated games as well. It is two worlds. Console gaming is integrated hardware and software; PC gaming is not (ugh to drivers and crashing). Console gaming requires licensing; PC gaming does not.

Two consoles have gone off the rails. Kutaragi declares the PS3 to not be a console but to be a computer. Bill Gates declares the Xbox 360 is a computer. Both of them aren't satisfied with trying to be a console; they want to be more.

From Crecente's interview with Bill Gates, here is what he said:

Crecente said:
The most surprising part of today's conversation with Bill Gates was when he not only fessed up to the Xbox being a glorified computer, something Microsoft has been denying since 1.0 launched, but said that Microsoft wouldn't have gotten into gaming if it was only ever going to be about the gaming.

"The reason we got into Xbox was not just for gaming," he said. "It's a general purpose computer. In terms of the first generation in particular, where we were so known as a PC company, the need to make clear how we were prioritizing the needs of demanding gamers, that was super important.

"We wouldn't have done it if it was just a gaming device," he said. "We wouldn't have gone into the category at all. It was strategically getting into the living room. This is not some big secret, Sony says the same things."

Gates added that before Microsoft could talk about that though, they had to establish their system as being gaming centric, earn themselves gaming cred. Now that they have established the brand, Gates said, Microsoft feels more confident in branching out with the console.

This year, he said, is a "huge milestone" for the Xbox, because it has gone from a gaming device to something much more.

"When you talk about convergence, its the first device you can say that really say this is convergence this is real," he said.

Unfortunately, no one thought to ask the market whether it wanted a Computer-Console hybrid in the living room. Microsoft (and other companies) have been trying to get a PC into the living room for quite some time (Web TV et all). They have all been miserable failures. The most 'console-ish' console currently is the Wii, and we know how the market is responding to that.

I'm puzzled why these companies just can't focus on creating the best console ever or the best handheld ever. They add in too much technology to get the system wander outside the product's purpose. Look at the PSP. It tried to deliver a console experience to handhelds. But did Sony stop to ask whether the market wanted console gaming on their handhelds? It just assumed. Many people are more comfortable with the GBA and DS since they are more handheld centric (even with their design of being sturdy, long batteries, not fragile). Not too many people want to play console type games on handhelds.

This is not the first time consoles have tried to become PCs. Consoles from the early eighties slapped on keyboards, tapes, disk drives, and other sorts to get a computer in the living room. During the early nineties, many newcomers tried to create a multimedia console due to the inclusion of CDs. The 3DO is eerily similiar to the PS3. Both systems were made by the game industry's greatest 'business star' (Kutaragi and Trip Hawkins). Both systems had great third party support including many PC ports. The 3DO was the most hyped system when it launched until the PS3 came around. Both systems promised to be the 'media machine' on your TV. Both costed around $600. There is an interesting difference though.
3DO hardware made profit when it sold.

Random 42

Such a flame happy thread :D

Anyway since PC costs will continue to drop, and it seems consoles prices tend to slowly increase and also get more addons. Going on current trends it would seem possible that they may merge to very similar things in the future, who knows when.

Also in regards to blizzard only making WoW in the last 10 years... You realise they have 3 development teams? RTS, blizzard north (got moved to head office) and the wow team.

bengraven

Durante said:
2006 only:
Company of Heroes
GTR 2
Medieval 2: Total War
GalCiv 2
Warhammer 40k Dark Crusade
Guild Wars Factions
Half-Life 2: Episode 1
Neverwinter Nights 2

And those are just the AAA exclusives, not the AA games or the AAA games that were far better on PC like Oblivion. And 2007 looks even better.

Sorry for the listmania, but you were asking for it. Personally, I would be very happy if all games were released on PC, where I can control with which image quality, resolution, control scheme and mods I want to play. But I doubt it'll happen anytime soon.

Wow, an awesome list. But I have a question: if you don't like RTSs and RPGs, do these games really count as AAA titles?

Razoric

Banned
bengraven said:
Wow, an awesome list. But I have a question: if you don't like RTSs and RPGs, do these games really count as AAA titles?

:lol :lol holy christ

if i dont like FPS games does Halo count as a triple A title?

JayDubya

Banned
Diablos said:
That said, I really never played Warcraft or Starcraft, so I don't exactly share feel your pain when you say you want a bunch of games they abandoned back. :D

Set your computer on fire. You don't deserve to use one anymore.

Dr_Cogent said:
Surfing the net on my TV sucks. I've done it on the PS3 and Wii already and the PC is where it's at for me.
For the most part I agree, but rarely there are times when it's convenient. For example, the other day I was watching sports and the Super Bowl commercials became a topic. I then wanted to watch them all on the internet, but I was thinking I'd much rather just pull them up on my TV while lounging on the couch than going to my PC room.

For a simple and quick act like that, especially one that requires almost no keyboard use, it's definitely convenient. So by no means would it ever become the primary internet medium for me, but I still feel like having the freedom of it as a possible option is still nice.

bigswords

Kabouter said:
So basically what you're saying is that as soon as there's a downloadable games service that auto-installs the games you buy online a Dell/HP/Whatever PC is perfect for the average consumer? And upgrading every year or two is of course, bullshit, as has been stated many times before on GAF you can easily use a PC for four years without upgrading and still play every game you want to.

Yes if you want to see quake 1 type textures ZING!!!

Sorry but I used to do incremental upgrades, unfortunately when you have a large 24 inch monitor you would want to play your games at the native resolution (1920 X 1200) unfortunately if you want to do this for the PC you need

1) A new video card.. (upgraded most of the time)
2) New Cpu (not usuallly , but sometimes)
3) More Ram (well currently I have 2 gigs should be "enough" for the time being)

I just got sick of updating drivers, looking through forum after forums of getting more fps and wondering is there some wrong with my PC or is the blue screen justifiable due to the spanking new nvidia drivers. Plus buying a new video card...well with that cost you can get a PS3 or xbox 360 with some games as well.

Durante

Dalauz said:
The PC defense force in this thread got some incompatibility issues with their avatars.
No, you have to look at the deeper meaning: PCs are a non-uniform platform :lol

bengraven said:
Sure they do. But even if they don't, there's still the FPS, racing games and the hundreds of not as well known games even in the most obscure of genres. Really, the only genre that I'd call underrepresented on PC is the high-budget third person action game - titles like (God/Gears) of War or DMC. On the other hand, on consoles you lose TBS (except SRPGS), RTS, MMO games and the wealth of harder to categorize independent efforts.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Can i ask what Blizzard have actually done for consoles this generation ? Yeah ... NOTHING.

This just looks like another excuse as to why they dont want to develop for consoles, and to be honest they dont need to as WOW is printing money.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
consoles are easier, Just buy a console, pop in the game, and no worries.

PC is ok for patient people... Update drivers /upgrade ram/ buy new vidcard/ replace broken stuff :lol

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Tiduz said:
consoles are easier, Just buy a console, pop in the game, and no worries.

PC is ok for patient people... Update drivers /upgrade ram/ buy new vidcard/ replace broken stuff :lol

As well as the fun piggy in the middle game when there is a bug with a game;

Dev - Its the graphics driver !
Graphic maker- Its the game !
Dev - Its the sound driver !
Sound maker- Its the game !
Dev - we cant replicate the issue !
Me = ahhhh !

Top Bottom