• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard Trademarks The Dark Below [Hoax, anyone can register trademarks as Blizzard]

Rubius

Kinda sad, want to see the D3 expansion to see if it will pull a Lord of Destruction on the game and make it good.

Mist of Xiansai, I'm waiting for you!

This hasn't been the case in WoW for years. From level 1 to level 90 you'll be using the same skills.

I was specifically referencing your profession/crafting levels (so I guess skills may or may not have been totally accurate). All the stuff you make at previous max level is worthless as they've added another 50-75 levels to get to the new max crafting/profession level.

ZenaxPure

I think WoW makes sense. They've gone out of their way in MoP to set up Zandalari lore, the Zandalari are from the South Seas (which we've seen a tiny glimpse of with the Isle of Giants) and the Maelstrom is technically a part of the South Seas. According to the RPG books (which aren't 100% canon, but a lot is still pulled from them anyway) under the Maelstrom (somehow) is the Eye which is where all the Naga stuff goes down.

Basically we know the burning legion is returning in some form, and, the Naga already have a connection to them (the sundering) so those 2 add up nicely. The Eye is a "Dark Below" so the name would fit, and, if they add this area they would have to add the rest of the South Seas meaning Zandalar, which, they've spent the entire expansion setting up through quest chains and lore-scrolls.

Obviously all of that is speculation on my part, but, it all logically makes sense.

Berordn

I was specifically referencing your profession/crafting levels (so I guess skills may or may not have been totally accurate). All the stuff you make at previous max level is worthless as they've added another 50-75 levels to get to the new max crafting/profession level.

Well, that's how theme park progression tends to work, yes. If having "max stuff" is your personal aim then you're going to get disappointed very quickly. It's all about seeing the content and enjoying the experience.

VandalD

Doesn't sound like a WoW expansion name. All of them have names far more descriptive of the content. "The Dark Below" doesn't tell anyone anything, and doesn't even get an old school Warcraft fan excited, let alone the folks who joined up for WoW and maybe WC3.

Rubius

Doesn't sound like a WoW expansion name. All of them have names far more descriptive of the content. "The Dark Below" doesn't tell anyone anything, and doesn't even get an old school Warcraft fan excited, let alone the folks who joined up for WoW and maybe WC3.

Well it sound like Underdark from Forgotten Realms. Its a good way to double the amount of space you have for a planet since you can have a complete under world.
The_Underdark.jpg

Seiru

Banned
I don't think one insignificant dungeon boss from 3 years ago having the words "dark below" as a subtitle below his name confirms this as a WoW expansion.

Rubius

I don't think one insignificant dungeon boss from 3 years ago having the words "dark below" as a subtitle below his name confirms this as a WoW expansion.
Well Diablo have no known underdark world outside of Hell, while Warcraft does.
Also, Diablo still have not seen all of the surface, like Xiansai. I dont think they would go in a cave setting for the first expansion either.

Seiru

Banned
Well Diablo have no known underdark world outside of Hell, while Warcraft does.
Also, Diablo still have not seen all of the surface, like Xiansai. I dont think they would go in a cave setting for the first expansion either.

Warcraft doesn't in official canon sources.

He was supposed to be significant. He kind of, you know, captured Neptulon. The problem is that Blizzard never finished the story with the Abyssal Maw (which I think makes it more likely that this is a WoW expansion that finishes the story).

Seiru

Banned
I mean, I guess the Dark Below could refer to the Old Gods underneath Azeroth, but I wouldn't really give a second thought to that boss's subtitle.

Rubius

Warcraft doesn't in official canon sources.

But it does in non canon sources, and it would be easy to make it canon. They literally have to say "Yep, now this book is canon."
Its not like if all the expansions were logic and thought of.

Berordn

I mean, I guess the Dark Below could refer to the Old Gods underneath Azeroth, but I wouldn't really give a second thought to that boss's subtitle.

Ozumat's actually pretty relevant in this case because he's got ties to Neptulon and the Naga, which started a big story arc in Cataclysm that never got concluded. Nazjatar and the South Seas would be involved in that case, and they're really the only places on Azeroth we haven't visited yet.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
damn it, i'm getting hyped for this possible old god themed expansion, been waiting to see N'zoth, Aszhara and Nazjatar/Ny'alotha since Cataclysm.

Nokterian

Wrath was the last expansion that felt like it was made with passion and vision. And Arthas so far was the last boss that really grabbed me.

When i started playing the RTS and it the story was evolving how it is was in WC3 and Frozen Throne and everything that reflected in WoW it self was just amazing. I grew attached to all those amazing characters and to me it is a shame,arthas,illidian are gone.

Cata was a mess,sure leveling was totally overhauled and MoP was fantastic in terms of story telling and leveling but at level 90 i just stopped..at this moment i do not feel to make a alt or even raid for that matter.

I was in a hardcore raiding guild from 2004 to 2007..best time ever,i love karazhan the most but also all other raids in TBC. Still love TBC just because of its outerworld off course and the amazing zones. Terrokar forest etc etc,but i find the grindfest from all those quests now boring. I am truly burned out from WoW. They have changed to mutch in terms of social aspect.

I remember back when you needed to do a dungeon,asking people around in the area or in the capital cities and those people would be come friends. Not anymore,that's what i really miss the social aspect of WoW. Real exploring and making new friends a long the way.

Also i find it a shame that everything is spoiled before a new expansion is out,you get to see everything before it is even released. Blizzard needs to stop with this even for those beta's...because those beta's spoil everything.

Mupod

Well, that and it's just time a new expansion got announced; we're at that point in the cycle.

I remember around the time when I had first started playing WoW, I found out that Everquest had 7 expansions or someshit. And there were people who had bought every single one of them.

It blew my mind at the time, I was completely baffled as to why you'd do that or how a company would get new players into their game with all these confusing expansion requirements. Obviously doesn't seem so funny now though.

Fake edit: Holy crap EQ1 is still getting expansions.

Well, that's how theme park progression tends to work, yes. If having "max stuff" is your personal aim then you're going to get disappointed very quickly. It's all about seeing the and enjoying the experience.

It's a simple goal, and one simple to obtain. Bad for depth, communities, and retention rates, though...

The more I think about it, the more I think this is a WoW expansion. It just sounds like an Old God thing and MoP sets things up for some more Old God goodness with Garrosh reanimating The heart of Y'Shaarj and all the Sha (dead old gods) around. There's also all the Azhara stuff they haven't done and that's more Old God stuff too.

Coolwhip

Banned
When i started playing the RTS and it the story was evolving how it is was in WC3 and Frozen Throne and everything that reflected in WoW it self was just amazing. I grew attached to all those amazing characters and to me it is a shame,arthas,illidian are gone.

Cata was a mess,sure leveling was totally overhauled and MoP was fantastic in terms of story telling and leveling but at level 90 i just stopped..at this moment i do not feel to make a alt or even raid for that matter.

I was in a hardcore raiding guild from 2004 to 2007..best time ever,i love karazhan the most but also all other raids in TBC. Still love TBC just because of its outerworld off course and the amazing zones. Terrokar forest etc etc,but i find the grindfest from all those quests now boring. I am truly burned out from WoW. They have changed to mutch in terms of social aspect.

I remember back when you needed to do a dungeon,asking people around in the area or in the capital cities and those people would be come friends. Not anymore,that's what i really miss the social aspect of WoW. Real exploring and making new friends a long the way.

Also i find it a shame that everything is spoiled before a new expansion is out,you get to see everything before it is even released. Blizzard needs to stop with this even for those beta's...because those beta's spoil everything.

I agree with all your points.

I hope The Dark Below brings back the spark. There were rumours of some of the old talent switching back from Titan to Wow.

Liha

Banned
I think that`s the future of WoW:

Expansion 5 - The Dark Below
- Azshara tries again to bring Sargeras back to Azeroth
- A significant increase in land mass from the ocean floor, possibly even Nazjatar
- Undermine as a base of operations in the sea along with massive naval battles and pirate content
- To fully redeem part of the Emerald Dream as a level-zone or max-level zone in one of the patches along with Raid in the gap of Aln, where any body part of N'zoth is combated by corruption
- Tomb of Sargeras from WC3 as another raid
- We will defeat Azshara, but we can not stop the opening of the legion portal, Wrathions prophecy will become true and the invasion begins

Expansion 6 - Invasion of the Legion
- The invasion of the Legion and the demonic horde begins flowing in ever greater numbers to Azeroth, wreaking havoc and devastation that is worse from patch to patch
- The heroes of Azeroth fight on every continent against the invasion of the now chastened Emerald Dream as an operations base, which can be accessed only by the already existing portals to Azeroth
- Kil'jaeden as the final boss

Expansion 7 - Argus and the Titans
- The heroes of Azeroth go after the successful repulse of the invasion now on the offensive
- Anduin is now grown up and leads the army of light on the home world of the Legion
- Reunion with Alleria and Turalyon
- We will learn about the Titans, which will help us
- Sargeras as the ultimate final boss

lexi

Banned
MoP hasn't even been out a year. Have they expedited the expansion process that much? It used to be a good 2 years was the standard for an expansions' lifespan.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Really? I thought it had the most challenging small group content in WoW in the form of the Challenge mode runs.

I think he meant he would rather have new 5 mans than new scenarios during expansion patches.

Thoraxes

MoP hasn't even been out a year. Have they expedited the expansion process that much? It used to be a good 2 years was the standard for an expansions' lifespan.

Yes, and the same goes for their content releases now too.

Pandaria is the first time they've actually delivered on their promised time-tables for once, both x-pac length and actual patch releases.

strafer

We cannot kill Sargeras. It will be the Avatar of Sargeras possibly.

dem powers

Telepathy (able to commune with his servants, such as Mannoroth and Archimonde,
from the Nether)

Illusion (created a false vision of what he offered to the eredar in exchange for their obedience)

Invulnerability against mortal weapons, and limited immunity to immortal weapons (Broxigar's Axe of Cenarius was able to wound him, but not to any great effect, while the powers of the Demon Soul had no effect) as well as complete immunity to fire and fel magics.

Various magical abilities (lashed out with energy at Illidan via the portal being opened to summon him).

Able to look into the mortal realm through the eyes of a chosen servant (his "gift" to Illidan).

Ability to enter mortal bodies (remained within Aegwynn's womb for nearly a millennium) and take control of them (Medivh).

Body Flames (Sargeras’ flesh burns with demonic energy, scorching everything in his path. Sargeras’s body flames slowly increase the ambient temperature by up to 50 degrees in every direction for 1,000 miles. The effect on natural climates can be devastating.)[9][14]

His molten armor can nearly burn your eyes.[14]

The strength of 100 dragons is merely a fraction of Sargeras' strength;[15] his strength nearly matches the power of a portal closing.

In comparison to Sargeras, Mannoroth and Archimonde were as fleas.[15] This could be a reference to either power or height.

He wields the horrific broken sword, Gorribal.

mclem

I think he meant he would rather have new 5 mans than new scenarios during expansion patches.

I've pretty much come to terms with not getting 5-mans. Scenarios are adequate from a challenge standpoint and far simpler to put together. Five-mans get consumed and no longer of benefit extremely rapidly; diverting those resources into raid production has meant they get much more long-term usage.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
strafers post tingled something in my pants

Blizzard has always announced an expansion a year after the last. Then it takes another half year to start beta. Then six months of beta and then release. This is not being sped up, unless they announce it for early 2014.

mclem

Blizzard has always announced an expansion a year after the last. Then it takes another half year to start beta. Then six months of beta and then release. This is not being sped up, unless they announce it for early 2014.

They do not have a year's worth of content lined up. While they've definitely - on occasion - made the final raid patch of an expansion last over a year, it's never really worked, and they've continually expressed disappointment over that fact.

Given the increased rate of MoP content production, I'm certain that their *goal* is early 2014. Whether they achieve that is another matter, of course, but they've definitely improved.

Ithil

The expansion isn't going to be coming out tomorrow, this is standard. MoP has been out 11 months, this expansion will be announced at Blizzcon in October, and in beta next year for a Autumn 2014 release. That's two years.

Top Bottom