• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard: Valve shouldn't trademark DOTA

IcedTea

Rubius said:
Dota 2 make sence.
League of Legends and HoN are not made by the guy who did DoTa 1. Dota 2 is.
Its like blaming somebody for writing a book using Word, then being hired by somebody and making a sequel as the sequel of his first book and Microsoft being angry at that.
FWIW, Guinsoo is the guy that created DOTA Allstars, and he added a lot of integral stuff to the game (like recipes and neutral bosses). He is one of the lead designers for Riot games, who made League of Legends.

(._.)

Banned
2b4r34.gif
ty

Alex

Damn they got the guy who did the best guitar solo of the video game history...

Yeah, Diablo 3 looks like bunk because Runic was able to kick out a good, but ultimately short n simple homage of the original Diablo. Torchlight is a lovely game, but come on, you're not a nine year old at the video store, you can have more than one thing, you don't have to take arbitrary bullshit sides.

But for the sake of conversation, while I like Uelmen for Diablo, it's not going to get me to hate on Russel Brower, who is probably my favorite Western game composer.

If we're going into music though, It makes me feel like an ass to say it, because I really like his Diablo and Torchlight work, but Uelmen pretty much kept the WoW soundtrack in the gutter single handedly, as far as I'm concerned I hated his non-stop atmospheric tracks.

The jump Cataclysm made in the music department after his departure is mind boggling. I've trashed WoW's music for years, now it's suddenly great! So to be honest, I'm not to perturbed at him leaving. Maybe he'll just fit in better at Runic. It certainly fit Torchlight well enough.

Either way I'm buying Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 on day one, oh shit, tearing the fabric of space and time here!

Snow

I think it's cool Valve is doing DOTA2. I honestly don't think Blizzard DOTA will be on the level of that, or on the level of HoN or LoL. When they showed the SC2 editor for the first time last year they said that wanted to do a DotA clone to show off the mod capabilities. I'm guessing that they were specifically taken by surprise with the trademark filing, since it was known that Icefrog was hired by Valve for quite a while. I'm not sure where all the Valve is shadily taking DOTA or Blizzard is bitterly trying to get DOTA talk is coming from... Seems kinda obvious to me why Valve would try for the trademark and at the same time why Blizzard would be slightly miffed by the sudden legal implications for their free mod mostly intended as a little showpiece project.

Instro

And btw, if Blizzard actually cared about DotA or the modding community SC2's custom map system wouldn't be such a piece of shit.

DaBuddaDa

demigod said:
Eul and Guinsoo gave up DotA and gave it to Icefrog. They have no say in what happens to it, they quit, they relinquished control, that was their decision and it's nipped them in the butt.

Slavik81

IcedTea said:
Or, better yet, why don't companies that had nothing to do with creating, developing, or updating a mod quit trying to claim that they own said mod?
This has nothing to do with copyright on the mod or the game. The title clearly says it's trademark, which would mean the entire issue is with the name of the game.

I seem to remember relative joy when Valve announced DotA. And now for some reason, the Blizzard "overlords" have spoken, flipping an invisible switch in some minds, making fans rabid maniacs demanding satisfaction. I actually find the whole thing a real "bitch" move on Blizzards end. A competitor did something they should have accomplished years ago and now, they're whining about it. It's not like this gameplay type is going to be exclusive to Valve or anything.

Overreaction much? I think so.

Edit:

Post right under mine nails it.

demigod

DaBuddaDa said:
Eul and Guinsoo gave up DotA and gave it to Icefrog. They have no say in what happens to it, they quit, they relinquished control, that was their decision and it's nipped them in the butt.

No, my *what* was to your Bill Gates and Apple.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
HK-47 said:
But Torchlight is worthy game in that vein at least. It does somethings even better than Diablo II did.
Yeah that's really something.

It is almost like Torchlight came out nine years later.

Artanisix

DaBuddaDa said:
I agree it would be strange and wrong if Valve up and trademarked Dota out of the blue, but they hired the curator, long time developer, leader and controller of the mod. That IMO is perfectly fine. The fact that two ex-developers who have since quit the project didn't wish for it to go this way means nothing. They quit, they get no say.

Took the words out of my mouth.

Rubius

demigod said:
What?lol, wtf? Guinsoo DID make LoL.

He did not.
He worked on the project as a Partner, creating some heroes and items.
Now he have a chance to create his own game with full support and tools given by steam.

Fio

The_Technomancer said:
Blizzard and Valve both respect their community. But Valve has a history of taking promising mods and projects and actually hiring the guys behind then. I'm not trying to defend Valve here: in terms of politics they probably could have picked a better course of action than straight-up calling it DOTA 2 but still....its hard to really blame them. Why didn't Blizzard act years ago?

I don't think it's hard to blame them. Blizzard didn't act because they probably thought trademarking the "DOTA" brand wasn't necessary, or because they believe it wasn't theirs, it was the community's.

I only have a problem with Valve naming their project DotA 2, I think it's great that Valve is supporting the modders, but calling it DotA 2 is unnecessary.

If the rumors about this Icefrog guy being a dick turn out to be true and he's fired, he and others who made what DotA is today will have nothing on their hands, because some company which had nothing to do with the project trademarked it. I don't thin that's fair at all.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dance In My Blood said:
Yeah that's really something.

It is almost like Torchlight came out nine years later.
Well someone has their panties in a bunch. As if no one had tried to do loot rpgs between Diablo II and Torchlight.

HK-47 said:
But Torchlight is worthy game in that vein at least. It does somethings even better than Diablo II did.

Torchlight is pretty awesome, I play it. Just the idea that "blizzard is dead" is just so fucking knee-jerk ridiculous to me. Just because it's not being made by the North team doesn't make it shit as some people seem to think.

I just spent the entire day playing Diablo 3 and I can say straight up, it's fucking awesome.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Fio said:
If the rumors about this Icefrog guy being a dick turn out to be true and he's fired, he and others who made what DotA is today will have nothing on their hands, because some company which had nothing to do with the project trademarked it. I don't thin that's fair at all.

That Icefrog blog was full of bullshit btw.

anaron

HK-47 said:
Well someone has their panties in a bunch. As if no one had tried to do loot rpgs between Diablo II and Torchlight.
Not to mention that many, if not most of them failed at successfully doing so.

Instro

Archie said:
That Icefrog blog was full of bullshit btw.

Im kind of amazed at the amount of stock people have put into all these Icefrog bs rumors. Pretty sad attempt to smear a guys reputation just because he is trying to make a game.

notworksafe

HK-47 said:
Well to be fair, it was a dumb post.

"This game that came out almost a decade after D2 improved on it!"

Shocking. It's not like Square was making the game. Of course it would improve over the last.

Alex

HK-47 said:

I dunno, Titan Quest + expack is a pretty solid piece of work, tedious intro aside. I'd probably take it over Torchlight, not that I'm trying to slam Torchlight or anything it is really good and I am downright giddy for the sequel.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
notworksafe said:
Well to be fair, it was a dumb post.

"This game that came out almost a decade after D2 improved on it!"

Shocking.

What? I said it improved on some stuff over Diablo II, which hasnt happened in the genre since...Diablo II.

Rubius

Alex said:
Either way I'm buying Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 on day one, oh shit, tearing the fabric of space and time here!
I never said that I hated Diablo 3. But its just so bland, brown and Bloom. I just dont have any interest on Diablo 3 for now. Too generic.
Here a video
Torchlight look, and feel original. Its not boring to watch, it have an original style and a perfect control.

Instro

Id always considered Torchlight to be more akin to Diablo rather than Diablo 2. The only thing it does significantly better is the inventory. Torchlight 2 on the other hand seems like it could really give Diablo 2 a run for its money.

Recon

Banned
IcedTea said:
In what way does it have nothing to do with me? I play Blizzard games, Valve games, and DOTA games, and I like to talk about said games on internet message boards. Given that, I think it is quite appropriate for me to be commenting on this topic.

And, sorry to disappoint you since you seem to have me pictured as some kind of raging anti-Valve troll or something, but I happen to love Valve games and I find most of Blizzard's new stuff to be complete shit. I just have a problem with one company claiming that they own something that they really had nothing to do with. IMO it has potentially bad implications for the DOTA community, and mod communities in general, and those are the primary reasons I play games these days.

Pretty sure they arent saying they own DOTA. They are just scooping up the caretaker of the MOD and turning it into a full fledge retail game...like they have done countless times before. The previous developers left the project. You dont get to be pissy about something when you willingly leave to do something else. I understand the frustration of Valve claiming the name DOTA 2, but thats all they are doing, just claiming a trivial name. Their will still be LoL, HoN, and Blizzard DOTA, nothing about this changes anything. Whether Valve called this DOTA 2, or IceFrogs magical adventure doesnt change anything about what others are doing.

I guess i just dont get all the hate that is coming Valve's way, they did nothing Illegal, and at least they hired the guy who was responsible for the latest iterations of DOTA.

Rubius said:
I never said that I hated Diablo 3. But its just so bland, brown and Bloom. I just dont have any interest on Diablo 3 for now. Too generic.
Here a video
Torchlight look, and feel original. Its not boring to watch, it have an original style and a perfect control.
Really? I could of swore i heard complaints of how colorful it was when they first revealed it...did it change art style since then?

Pooya

Rubius said:
Here a video
It was boring to play though :p .

IcedTea

HK-47 said:
What? I said it improved on some stuff over Diablo II, which hasnt happened in the genre since...Diablo II.
Lots of games have improved on some aspects of Diablo 2 over the years, but that didn't stop them from being shit games. Torchlight is the only one that came close to being as good of a game as Diablo 2, for sure, though the lack of multiplayer really ruined it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
IcedTea said:
Lots of games have improved on some aspects of Diablo 2 over the years, but that didn't stop them from being shit games. Torchlight is the only one that came close to being as good of a game as Diablo 2, for sure, though the lack of multiplayer really ruined it.

Well ok thats fair.

Alex

Wait, i thought the internet bullshit committee was on Blizzard's ass for making Diablo III too colorful, so now it's too dark and brown again? What?

And Torchlight original...? What?

My head hurts.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ReconYoda said:
Really? I could of swore i heard complaints of how colorful it was when they first revealed it...did it change art style since then?

Well brown is a color thats not grey and black, so its possible the people bitching about the palette in D3 would find even brown too colorful for their glorious gothic fantasy wank.

Recon

Banned
Alex said:
Wait, i thought the internet bullshit committee was on Blizzard's ass for making Diablo III too colorful, so now it's too dark and brown again? What?

And Torchlight original...? What?

My head hurts.

Thats what im saying, lmao.

Instro

Rubius said:
Here a video

:lol Great clip to use considering it shows every color of the spectrum, gtfo man.

IcedTea

ReconYoda said:
I guess i just dont get all the hate that is coming Valve's way, they did nothing Illegal, and at least they hired the guy who was responsible for the latest iterations of DOTA.
It's probably because it is Valve. If Valve does something like this, most people applaud them for it. If it was Activision doing this then the reaction would definitely be a bit less friendly.

Alex

Did anyone ever kick out a multi mod for Torchlight? I remember seeing a couple under dev when that game first went out. I did a couple clears and didn't really get a chance to look back, it'd be nice to dabble with if it made any real progress.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Blizz automatically owning everything created with the SC2 toolkit is far more anticonsumer than commercializing a sequel to a mod with the person responsible for much of its success on board.

Top Bottom