• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard: Valve shouldn't trademark DOTA

jim-jam bongs said:
Why doesn't Blizzard just trademark Defence of the Ancients?

I had no idea what DOTA was until this post.

I've seen threads about it and nobody would spell out what it stood for.

The judge should just give a big middle finger to both companies and rule that the trademark has become genericized. That'd learn 'em!

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
jakonovski said:
The judge should just give a big middle finger to both companies and rule that the trademark has become genericized. That'd learn 'em!

Blizzard doesn't want to trademark DotA though...

Akia

Reposted for the new page:

Gabe Newell was at BlizzCon. Someone snapped a photo of him playing Blizzard DOTA.

500x_gabe.jpg

http://kotaku.com/5672493/valve-checking-out-blizzard

raphier said:
Oh you, spying hard on the competition
I think the big takeaway from the picture is that Gabe was at BlizzCon. Which means that Rob Pardo probably has already talked to Valve (Gabe) about the trademark situation and DOTA 2 in general.

Since Valve probably didn't go along with want they wanted, Blizzard at this point this is airing out their grievances about the situation to the press in order to gain favor with the community. They can use the dota community support as leverage in future negotiations with Valve if they ever threaten them after gaining the trademark.

Painraze said:
Blizzard doesn't want to trademark DotA though...

They don't have to, without Valve's effort DotA is de facto restricted to Blizzard products, and I'd like to see a small company try and refer to their game as DotA.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
I'm conflicted about how I feel about this DotA mess... I can see Blizzard's point but the problem is DotA's gameplay is ment for something greater than just a WC3 mod. Monday Night Combat immediately comes to mind. And a company like Valve gobbling up the "dota" name and putting the full force of Steam behind it should help propel the series and the genre to greater heights.

As someone said before, Blizz shoulda put a ring on it. They knew for years how important this game was. Hell I was saying years ago Blizzard should make a dota-style battleground for WoW. To me, they've completely ignored it until someone like Valve took an interest in it. Now, all of a sudden, they are huge dota fans.

dionysus

Yaldog
jakonovski said:
They don't have to, without Valve's effort DotA is de facto restricted to Blizzard products, and I'd like to see a small company try and refer to their game as DotA.

Um... hasn't a decent portion of the DotA player base (probably less than half) migrated to League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth. Only data I have to support that is that dota allstars traffic dropped in half before Pendragon shut it down.

DaBuddaDa

After given some time between this announcement and when the game finally comes out, I think we can all agree that trademark disputes between companies concerning naming is kind of irrelevant, and we can all be happy that the original DotA creators are doing what they want to do, Valve and Icefrog are coming out with their own new version of the game, and Blizzard has their version, and the original DotA still exists. Big whoop what they're called? We all get a bunch of great games for little to no cost, everyone is employed, and it's roses and candy canes for all.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
The only thing I truly hate about League of Legends is that goddamn rune book. It is a great concept, but there is to much grinding required. To buy a full set of tier 3 runes (9 of each rune and 3 of each quint) you need 368,100 IP. Assuming you get ~100 IP per win that is over 3600 matches you have to play to buy everything. Another thing that bugs me is that people with more/better runes will have an advantage in game than those without, assuming everything else to be equal.

The Lamonster said:
Are there any screens of Blizzard DOTA gameplay? Thanks

http://www.sc2mapster.com/announcements/map-editor-panel-blizzard-dota/

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The Lamonster said:
Thanks! I am pumped. The decision between BDOTA and VDOTA is easy. One is free to me and the other is not :D
This reasoning will never cease to amaze me.

Leezard

Archie said:
The only thing I truly hate about League of Legends is that goddamn rune book. It is a great concept, but there is to much grinding required. To buy a full set of tier 3 runes (9 of each rune and 3 of each quint) you need 368,100 IP. Assuming you get ~100 IP per win that is over 3600 matches you have to play to buy everything. Another thing that bugs me is that people with more/better runes will have an advantage in game than those without, assuming everything else to be equal.

To be fair, it is completely unnecessary to buy EVERY rune. Usually only some of magic pen/armor pen/cdr/ dodge/(mp5/level)/health is enough. Its still a couple of hundred games for all the runes you'll ever need, but its far 3600 games solely for runes.
I only used magic pen/(hp/level)/cdr/flat health for a very long time, and it worked great.

Lyphen said:
This reasoning will never cease to amaze me.
eh, I'm actually fine with Warcraft III DOTA, why go and buy something that I already get for free and am about to get totally updated in StarCraft II.

Archie said:
Blizz DOTA has 12 heroes, DOTA2 has over 100. THE CHOICE IS CLEAR
Should be tough to balance 100 heroes...

If Blizzard was going to reveal Blizzard DOTA, they should have showed a gameplay trailer in addition to having changed its name from DOTA to Defense of the Ancients.

They feel like they're behind the curve, but I'll reserve judgment until I see a video.

GregLombardi said:
If Blizzard was going to reveal Blizzard DOTA, they should have showed a gameplay trailer in addition to having changed its name from DOTA to Defense of the Ancients.

They feel like they're behind the curve, but I'll reserve judgment until I see a video.
Blizzard has always had bad PR timing, IMO. They announce games way too early, yet they don't trademark DOTA or show it off until months after SCII's release.

And Blizzard DOTA is nothing new or reactionary. Before SCII's release, Blizz said they were working on a new DOTA that would ship with the game at launch.

The Lamonster said:
Blizzard has always had bad PR timing, IMO. They announce games way too early, yet they don't trademark DOTA or show it off until months after SCII's release.

And Blizzard DOTA is nothing new or reactionary. Before SCII's release, Blizz said they were working on a new DOTA that would ship with the game at launch.
Nah, I'm happy to have yet another company bringing a DOTA clone to market, its just there should be more to the announcement than "We're working on it, you can play Kerrigan!".

That's not how you announce it haha. I will, of course, play it. But they need to get it out before Valve DOTA or they're going to get steamrolled!

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Rubius said:
Blizzard gain sales from a Mod for years and dont give anything to the modders
Valve pick up the Dota team, pay them and support them for Dota 2, and Blizzard whine because now they cant call Starcraft Dota, Dota.
Its not like the modder sit there on Ventrilo and play Dota all day

what? who the hell bought wc3 for DOTA? no one knew about that shit it was one of MANY AOS maps that were popular when it went all stars like it is now, you kidding me? Dota was big yeah but thats AFTER it outlasted Tides of Blood, Rebirth Of The Guardians, and many other AOS maps. First of all the big games on custom maps were mauls, arena hero maps and tower defense games. Then games like Dota, ToB, Enfos, Swat/resident evil etc etc survival games, open rpg's like CoT, diablo 2 and Legends really came out. That was years ago though, and blizzard fully dumped the engine for modding years ago so that creators could have more control , that was still years after the actual game released. SC2 has been around for what 4 months? '

Could see your point if it were the same WC3 engine, its not, same battle.net...nope its not, things evolve over time, no one expected sc2 to have the same explosion of maps in such an amt of time wc3 customs was one of the largest mod communities *good or bad* in the gaming world , with or without dota. At one point dota dominated BECAUSE all the other games like it were just done and it was the only one left, at one point ToB had just as many games up as Dota.

Pikelet

GregLombardi said:
Nah, I'm happy to have yet another company bringing a DOTA clone to market, its just there should be more to the announcement than "We're working on it, you can play Kerrigan!".

That's not how you announce it haha. I will, of course, play it. But they need to get it out before Valve DOTA or they're going to get steamrolled!

I think the game is more of a catalyst for the mapmaking community to get behind. The maps for wc3 were fucking great fun and Blizzard know it.

DonasaurusRex said:
what? who the hell bought wc3 for DOTA? no one knew about that shit it was one of MANY AOS maps that were popular when it went all stars like it is now, you kidding me? Dota was big yeah but thats AFTER it outlasted Tides of Blood, Rebirth Of The Guardians, and many other AOS maps. First of all the big games on custom maps were mauls, arena hero maps and tower defense games. Then games like Dota, ToB, Enfos, Swat/resident evil etc etc survival games, open rpg's like CoT, diablo 2 and Legends really came out. That was years ago though, and blizzard fully dumped the engine for modding years ago so that creators could have more control , that was still years after the actual game released. SC2 has been around for what 4 months? '

Could see your point if it were the same WC3 engine, its not, same battle.net...nope its not, things evolve over time, no one expected sc2 to have the same explosion of maps in such an amt of time wc3 customs was one of the largest mod communities *good or bad* in the gaming world , with or without dota. At one point dota dominated BECAUSE all the other games like it were just done and it was the only one left, at one point ToB had just as many games up as Dota.
For some reason this post made me sad that Burbenog TD didn't become as popular as DOTA. I think it has just as much depth and I play that wayyyy more on WCIII than DOTA.

Akia

DonasaurusRex said:
what? who the hell bought wc3 for DOTA? no one knew about that shit it was one of MANY AOS maps that were popular when it went all stars like it is now, you kidding me?

Many, many people did and still do. I know this is anecdotal evidence but I know 4-5 different people who bought the War3 Battle Chest just to play dota.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
DonasaurusRex said:
what? who the hell bought wc3 for DOTA?

a shit load of people buy wc3 for DOTA... or at least they did until the clones started coming out. DOTA2 will probably be the killing blow for that which is why Blizz is responding.

webrunner

jakonovski said:

That raises a question: Wouldn't the DotA mark be easy to overturn, considering there's a fucking song that uses the term to refer to a videogame already?

Meeru

Banned
JWong said:
Ranged never always has an advantage over melee. Who the hell told you that?

It's obvious that ranged has deny advantages in early game when melee has no skills to engage or finish.

And Guinsoo took it out. Y'know, the original author of DotA Allstars. I mean, I'll let him and his team speak on it.

Obvious design decisions were made in taking it out. It does nothing to add to the competitiveness of the game of heroes versus heroes. Also, emphasize that last point. It's just counterintuitive to kill your own allies and towers.

And about being Ezreal, that's not how to play them effectively. If you do that, my Kat will destroy you and avoid your shots at the same time. Ezreal is weak with pushing and susceptible to melee.
pick any ranged hero in hon, ill pick a melee, and im pretty sure i can out cs you

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
jakonovski said:

Valve would be completely fine with that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
"Hello, we have determined that both of your companies are being idiots and the judge should just genericize the term 'DOTA'."

Haly

I bought WC3 for dota. A friend of mine showed it to me and he used CM's old wisp glitch. Which was pretty funny, and I liked what i saw of the gameplay so I picked it up eventually for myself.

I remember playing ladder games just so I could get into TDA the easy way.

Duran

JWong said:
All of that which you list are done effectively in League of Legends, and juking moreso with summoner abilities. I've done so many juking strats that turned the tide of the game, so I really don't know what you're talking about when it seems like you don't know it happens in LoL.

Uuuh... it's a PVP game. To have fun in PVP is to PVP. This isn't Alterac Valley.

You can't creep stack, you can't creep pull, you can't buy tps (no sorry Teleport doesn't count, too dependent on situation), and using summoner skills =/= juking (I was actually baiting you to say this to show you that you really are ignorant). Watch pros use hatchet to juke, that's a real juke. Using Flash to go up cliffs and Ghost to run fast is not a juke, unless you consider phase booting and blinking away jukes. If so I have reason to believe your overall knowledge of the game is low. Learn your terms.

Not the best but here are some simple jukes that simply can not be done in LoL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZnXqhIMU-U

JoeMartin

Duran said:
You can't creep stack, you can't creep pull, you can't buy tps (no sorry Teleport doesn't count, too dependent on situation), and using summoner skills =/= juking (I was actually baiting you to say this to show you that you really are ignorant). Watch pros use hatchet to juke, that's a real juke. Using Flash to go up cliffs and Ghost to run fast is not a juke, unless you consider phase booting and blinking away jukes. If so I have reason to believe your overall knowledge of the game is low. Learn your terms.

Seriously just give it up. JWong's head is so far up LoL's ass it isn't even worth it.

webrunner

Duran said:

I.. uh.. um.. did anyone else understand that and care to translate?

Haly

webrunner said:
I.. uh.. um.. did anyone else understand that and care to translate?
Creep stack
Drawing the fire of neutral mobs just before their spawn location is due to refresh, thus creating multiple camps of neutral mobs for quick gold/exp acquisition at a later time.
Creep pull
Drawing the fire of neutral mobs so they follow you into your own allied mobs, causing the friendlies to rush to your defense and thus temporarily depriving your opponent of a new waves of exp/gold opportunities.
A consumable item with a 2-3 seconds channeled cast time that transports you to any friendly structure.
use hatchet to juke
The removal of a tree in order to take advantage of fog of war mechanics where the area immediately surrounding trees is blacked out unless you have a unit/ward/ability there capable of providing vision.
real juke
Taking advantage of fog of war mechanics to avoid assault in order to escape pursuit or to stall for time when assistance might arrive.
Learn your terms.
L2P n00b

JoeMartin

Juking is the use and abuse of terrain, fog and vision to escape a situation in which you would normally die. Generally it involves getting creative with trees and a hatchet/tangos. Using Pharaoh's mummy wall or Magebane's blink to assist in an escape isn't juking, that's just running away. Generally the term juking is applied to the former scenario as it is independent of hero abilities and is available to every and any hero to do, and generally requires some finesse, experience and guile to pull off properly - hence, juking.

Nome

I probably have a much deeper understanding of the going-ons behind this than everyone here, but obviously I can't share it all because a good bit involves company/industry secrets (those of you in HoN community should be well aware of what I'm talking about).

I've been a member of TDA (IceFrog was our chief) for a good half decade. I don't know Pendragon/Steve Mescon very well, but we did talk on a few occasions, and I've sat in on a lot of Vent chats. He owns the "Defense of the Ancients" name to a degree (he has a LLC or something with that name, I believe)--which is why Valve is specifically trademarking DOTA and not Defense of the Ancients. But now that Valve is trying to claim the acronym, I think we can all see where the problem comes in. Before IceFrog went with his whole personal initiative, Pendragon WAS the community of DotA. He put up the forums, the web site, and all that mess. If DotA at that point was a game company, IceFrog would be the designer, and Pendragon would have been everything else, from HR to the investment crew. A lot of DotA fans, especially after Pendragon and IceFrog's unamicable split, seem to have forgotten the extent to which Pendragon effectively WAS the community. DotA itself right now, if you break the content down, is probably around 60% Guinsoo/Eul/others with the rest being IceFrogs--and a good portion of IceFrog's content is modified from Guinsoo.

Remember with Pendragon and Guinsoo working at Riot Games--AND with Pendragon already holding the Defense of the Ancients name to a degree--they had full power to name their game DOTA but chose specifically not to. With LOL a complete success, they continue to have zero incentive to use the DOTA name. I know a lot of current and former TDA members, and they agree that this whole name fiasco is getting out of hand, and the name should not belong to anyone but the community. That's what I believe as well.

Top Bottom