• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard's new president under Microsoft will be Call of Duty GM Johanna Faries

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I don't think she'd have gotten this job with her CV only a few years ago.

oTsv9zH.jpg
Ouch…

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That's the crazy part. They're now selecting their top executives for a large part based on their identity instead of their expertise.
They expect that the same workers they treat like dirt will make the right decisions and keep the company thriving…

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
One would think the new head of Blizzard would be a veteran from the team, like a high-level ambitious creative, who would have some great ideas to lead the team and develop their world-renowned IPs...

But what do I know...
Nah, typical MS America corpo f-yeah. They have the company, they have the IP, just get someone good with money and fans to run it and boom yeah?

n3wimf7.jpg

:/…

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
One would think the new head of Blizzard would be a veteran from the team, like a high-level ambitious creative, who would have some great ideas to lead the team and develop their world-renowned IPs...

But what do I know...

That used to be the norm. But then you'd get all these old white guys as CEOs, studio heads, etc and you can't have that in 2024. Much better to promote women of color and see that DEI rating go up and up!

In 2024 you need a board that is 30% diverse and contains at least one member from an under-represented group to create long-term value and sustainability. Gender diverse Boards drive greater profitability, increase accountability and bring in disruptive innovation. It's not just a matter of corporate social responsibility, diverse and inclusive organizations gain a competitive edge by unlocking fresh perspectives, driving innovation, and making better-informed decisions and empower organizations to reach new heights of success and impact.

Just look at how Disney has gone from strength to strength in the past couple of years and you know that diversity, equity and inclusion is a recipe for surefire success.

Last edited:

Bry0

Nah, typical MS America corpo f-yeah. They have the company, they have the IP, just get someone good with money and fans to run it and boom yeah?

n3wimf7.jpg

:/…
Pretty much. Great point of comparison with sculley. People whining about DEI are too caught up in culture war bs, as if corpos failing upwards into leadership positions of businesses they don’t know anything about isn’t the norm.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
Suit lingo:

I’m walking into this role with sensitivity to those dynamics
stabilize game franchises
Bobby Kotick had pushed Blizzard to be more predictable

: DDD

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

oTsv9zH.jpg
I was just going to ask what her credentials are and… get that bag girl. Save all the money you can before your inevitable “voluntary” resigning.

Fuck I wish I could get a stupid paying job without any real criteria. Yo Microsoft give me Phil Spencer’s job. I got you.

Sonik

oTsv9zH.jpg

Gee, I wonder why she got the position with so little experience!

Doesn't matter though, Blizzard has been dead for years and Activision is basically Call of Duty, we're not gonna miss much

Ozriel

M$FT
Holy crap. Why though? What about her resume screams “head of blizzard”? Nobody in leadership positions in these MS studios seems to actually give an F about games beyond their revenue model.

Perhaps the ‘GM of Call of Duty’ part?

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Read that as Johanna Fairies

Was like shit if she is a fairy she should be the CEO of playground games who's making Fable.

I fancy the new Bethesda's boss. Imagine being VP of a videogames division after 3 years of experience in "integration and casual games" and a career in tattoos and skin care before that. Awesome stuff.

9psWZ2Y.png

To me, a top executive of a videogames company, the one making core business decisions, can only be an individual with a hardcore track record in the industry. People who are level 50 in Excel sheets and beggars of an easy mode for Souls games should not apply.

I fancy the new Bethesda's boss. Imagine being VP of a videogames division after 3 years of experience in "integration and casual games" and a career in tattoos and skin care before that. Awesome stuff.

9psWZ2Y.png

To me, a top executive of a videogames company, the one making core business decisions, can only be an individual with a hardcore track record in the industry. People who are level 50 in Excel sheets and beggars of an easy mode for Souls games should not apply.

And this is why Xbox's ambition is destined to fail massively.

Wow. Talk about putting the wrong people at the head positions.

Ozriel

M$FT

9psWZ2Y.png

Why do you people do this?
‘career in tattoos and skincare’? You don’t see those are board level positions in those companies?
If you could do the basics on LinkedIn and scroll down, you’d see her actual career involved leadership positions at Sega, Nintendo and Glu Mobile, among others.

Hard to imagine you’re sneering at a lack of merit when you can’t use LinkedIn .

James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford Et tu?

Why do you people do this?
‘career in tattoos and skincare’? You don’t see those are board level positions in those companies?
If you could do the basics on LinkedIn and scroll down, you’d see her actual career involved leadership positions at Sega, Nintendo and Glu Mobile, among others.

Hard to imagine you’re sneering at a lack of merit when you can’t use LinkedIn .

James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford Et tu?

Hard to imagine that you think that experience from 20 years ago is more relevant than the past few years. Anyway, let's check it out:

She worked ONE year at Nintendo (marketing) and THREE years at Sega (marketing) more than 20 years ago. Those are NOT Director-level managerial positions, don't give me that crap.

After that, she did many things, mostly not related to videogames, which was precisely my point.

No, in my opinion, she doesn't have the credentials for HEAD OF BETHESDA.

BlackTron

When the 10 year deal is up, Sony probably doesn't have to worry about COD. The way things are going it'll be a non-issue.

I made almost the exact same post a year ago it feels like we're already there ffs.

By the time MS actually gets the COD exclusivity they paid for, they will have had ample time to ruin the brand. In ten years it might not matter anymore.

Top Bottom