• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloated length paralyse me from starting new games

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If I know the game will be 50h+, I am more than likely to say f it and replay some 10-15h long game like half life 2 or uncharted 4.
Embarking on a very long game feels like a heavy weight. I know it will be fun but when I think about it, it’s really hard to start a game like that.
And I have a lot of spare time.

Don’t you think games are bloated now? Why ff16 had to be 50+ hours long while it could’ve been an awesomely paced 20 hours long game. Mass effect games were each 20h. I can replay the whole trilogy in less time than bloater3 the wild bloat.
I prefer more replayable games. I always find something new when I replay souls games or uncharted. The experience is tight each time and I can find new fun if I want too.

Kupfer

It's okay, you don't have to play through all the games more than once if the first play through was worth the money.
I'd rather play 5 - 15 hour games than indulge in a Starfield. I can do that maybe once a year, if at all, especially since open worlds bore me too often now. I've also taken a hands-off approach to games that are too big and feel like work - I'm looking at you, Ubisoft. I don't even think about playing this kind of games anymore.
I have now started a second run through of CP2077, but that's a rarity for me. But I absolutely adore the atmosphere of the world and after nearly 3 years my body feels ready for a new run.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

i see what you did there cas GIF

Less Forspoken & Final Fantasy 16 rofif rofif , more BG3 where every quests is an adventure with reward.

Lunarorbit

Now that games are $70 we all want value... and that mostly means increased game length to justify that increased spending.

I definitely agree that games are too big for me right now. Starfield looks cool. I only have 15 hours in totk. I've never tried cyberpunk but I've wanted to for 3 years. This is a me problem.

There's just too many games coming out nowadays. Not even in a fomo way, I just mean the market is so saturated that it's overwhelming and in a way a turn off.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Same.

Recently, I've been enjoying more <10 hours games (Ghostrunner, Miles Morales, Lost Legacy, etc.) than big bloated games -- unless they are games that I care about and/or super good (e.g., HFW)

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I just stopped playing games like that for a while now. I even dropped Starfield after playing it for 4 days straight when it came out, not because I didn't enjoy it, but because the ever-growing list of quests to complete just started to feel suffocating and I had to check out.

I'm probably gonna revisit it in another month or so but in the meantime, I just stick to games that are short and sweet. That is also why I started reaching into that indie game well, there are so many games in there that are like that - fun gameplay, gets to the point quickly, and can be completed in under 10 hours, which is totally fine by me. I also recently got a used Xbox 360 and been catching up on some 7th gen games that I never played, such as Splatterhouse. That was super fun and it was also over in about 8 hours.

I usually chalk this up to my ADHD, though. I lose interest quite easily so I absolutely need a lot of variety in my gaming diet, and very rarely do I have the stamina to play just one game for more than a few days. The longest streak of playing just one game that I had in recent memory was with The Division 2, which I managed to stick with for about two weeks straight, and that was almost exactly a year ago.

Trunx81

I finished my first run of Persona 5 with a little bit over 120 hours. When I read the counter, I couldn´t believe that I played for so long.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Made my peace with that this year. I probably gave up on 10+ games. I'll play what I enjoy, if I don't I just drop it. It's less one thing on my backlog.
Same. I stopped buying day 1 after too many disappointments and now I wait to buy until I'm reasonably sure I'll like it or it's cheap enough that it won't matter if I don't like it.

If I know the game will be 50h+, I am more than likely to say f it and replay some 10-15h long game like half life 2 or uncharted 4.
Embarking on a very long game feels like a heavy weight. I know it will be fun but when I think about it, it’s really hard to start a game like that.
And I have a lot of spare time.

Don’t you think games are bloated now? Why ff16 had to be 50+ hours long while it could’ve been an awesomely paced 20 hours long game. Mass effect games were each 20h. I can replay the whole trilogy in less time than bloater3 the wild bloat.
I prefer more replayable games. I always find something new when I replay souls games or uncharted. The experience is tight each time and I can find new fun if I want too.
I agree with you, I'm more or less unable to play long stuff because I have kids and don't have the extra 100 hours to spend on a game any more. Kinda sad but that's just how it is.

mortal

Gold Member
OP, if you haven't already, I strongly recommend giving Armored Core VI a shot.

It has a level-based mission structure, and I consider it an antithesis to the current trend of huge sprawling game worlds that sometimes require 100+ hours to experience most of the content.
It has just the right amount of challenge without overstaying its welcome. It's also highly replayable with branching missions that lead to multiple endings.

The game's narrative may or may not be to your liking, depending on your taste, but I found that approach compelling and fitting for the tone.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Just play something shorter that will keep your interest until you found fresh motivation to plow through a bigger game.

I also prefer games that focus more on replayability rather than paddling the length through more content.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Bloating depends highly on the genre/game. Is there nostalgia involved? Then I could easily play WoW classic for many hours if I wanted to, or replay Prey, Dishonored, Deus Ex games, etc. If its a game like Far Cry or AC? Never touch it ever again or avoid or very cheap cheap sale and even then I might abandon.

Humdinger

Yeah, I've been feeling the same lately. I have any number of games in my backlog that require huge time commitments. I just can't get myself to begin. I don't want War and Peace; I want a novella. I prefer shorter, more focused experiences.

Some of these games hook you into these long, drawn-out loops that aren't particularly fun, and yet keep you "engaged." It adds to their engagement numbers, but not to your fun.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Time the game makes you waste is not value, it's the opposite of that. Think of it this way: for $500 do you want a BJ from Scarlet Johansson that lasts 5 minutes or one hour one from a nearby street hooker?

I think he made the same point you did? THe more expensive the game the better it should be, but instead, Starfield :) for example, just wastes your time with so much useless filler that it's a fucking tragedy. Half the game are loading screens and useless dialogues that barely have any charm and are acted as if being spoken by an AI. Yes, we all want a BJ from Scarlet.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Yes. Its why personally for me this year has been absolute doodoo gaming wise. Literally all the heavy hitter games this year are long as fuck. I enjoyed last year way more. This is one of the most underwhelming years I can remember in a while.

FF16
TOTK
Starfield
BG3

All ridiculously long and bloated games

SpiderMan 2, Alan Wake 2 both seem like a breath of fresh air. One of them will undoubtedly be my GOTY

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Sekiro
Dark souls 3
Elden Ring
Armored 6

I did not complete all the games above, i think im stuck near the end of the game (probably 80-90% completion).
I am having fun, but when i cant get pass a certain bosses, i just give up and feel demotivated to continue the game.

And then I have a tons of backlog which played the game half way. Feels unsatisfied but its very hard for me to go back to these old games.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
Just play something else that isn't going to paralyze you. There are plenty of games to choose from. Stop wanting to play a genre and bitch because that genre is known to have long games. Just as good as complaining that you hate swimming, but you keep on jumping in the pool.

Fbh

Yeah these days if a game has a 50+ hours main story I'm probably skipping it unless it's made by a small number of devs which have shown me they can make long games that don't feel like I'm spending half of my time on repetitive bloat that's only there to increase the length.

Ultimately it's not really about how a long a game is but about how it gets to that length.

StueyDuck

Yes. Its why personally for me this year has been absolute doodoo gaming wise. Literally all the heavy hitter games this year are long as fuck. I enjoyed last year way more. This is one of the most underwhelming years I can remember in a while.

FF16
TOTK
Starfield
BG3

All ridiculously long and bloated games

SpiderMan 2, Alan Wake 2 both seem like a breath of fresh air. One of them will undoubtedly be my GOTY
I don't agree this year has been poop. I've enjoyed the time I've had with gaming and I wouldn't call any game bad or even ok, they've all been mostly good to great. But I agree it's been and underwhelming year

I feel there hasn't been anything special this year, it's all just iteration and things we've played 100 times before.

There hasn't been any outer wilds or death strandings or phasmophobias or valheims that have come out of nowhere and really felt new and inventive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom