• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloated, PR paste-bin |OT|s are a plague on these boards

Status
Not open for further replies.
OTs are supposed to encourage people to play said game, right? As a casual fan of the series, the DMC OT did the opposite for me. The plot line synopsis was too much and the "glossary" of in-game terms was... I don't even know.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Just link it

Do you really need to show off 35 posts worth of information

Show some goodies 3-5 posts, 4th or 5th post Additional/Miscellaneous: Links to all the other stuff

Good Lord I usually I tap my space bar to scroll down, but GODDAMN I had to hold it fucking down just to get to the first post to read the reaction, by that time the page was almost fucking finished

I get the onesupmanship regarding OT's but DMCHD OT is ridiculous, it looked like I was reading a dictionary and had to learn everything before attempting the "Real DMC"

rvy

Banned
The people have spoken. No one wants all that crap.

It's hilarious how in-depth system analysis are a huge no-no in a DMC thread, but then the MGS 4 and Killzone 2 OTs get away with bloated posts about past story-lines and character bios. Hell, the Killzone 2 OT had a detailed version of the entirety of the Helghan Wars.

Come on.

Haunted

It's hilarious how in-depth system analysis are a huge non-no in a DMC thread, but then the MGS 4 and Killzone 2 OTs get away with bloated posts about past story-lines and character bios. Hell, the Killzone 2 OT had a detailed version of the entirety of the Helghan Wars.

Come on.
Knowing GAF moderation, if the MGS4 or KZ2 OTs would've been made today, they would've gotten shut down as well.

Of course no one is going to retroactively lock those.

It's hilarious how in-depth system analysis are a huge non-no in a DMC thread, but then the MGS 4 and Killzone 2 OTs get away with bloated posts about past story-lines and character bios. Hell, the Killzone 2 OT had a detailed version of the entirety of the Helghan Wars.

Come on.

And people go on and complain that the old DMCs are stale and dated

Come on.

It's been years since those games came out. Those threads, along with the shit like BF3 OT, have made people dislike them over the years.

Card Boy

Banned

Come on.

Can't speak for others, but those OT's needed to be 1 post aswell. Blame BruceLeeRoy for starting all this crap.

kuYuri

Come on.

But those were created before bloated OTs started to become a thing.

EDIT: Wow, beaten several times over.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Wario64 necro bumps are always the best.

It is a little worrisome that people invest quite an amount of time in OTs when the majority of the thread's time is spent discussing elsewhere.

Come on.

it's almost like this thread contains many people who are against those examples as well

actually nah it's the evil anti-Devil May Cry conspiracy

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Come on.

Those were just as bad.

serioiusly, after all the garbage bloated OTs Ive read on here? One that actually has relevant information gets shut down..?

Funny how its the Ninja theory and Asura's wrath apologists that are amongst the dissenting voices.... #justSaying.

Volcynika

serioiusly, after all the garbage bloated OTs Ive read on here? One that actually has relevant information gets shut down..?

Funny how its the Ninja theory and Asura's wrath apologists that are amongst the dissenting voices.... #justSaying.

Oh please. That second point is just intentionally trying to start something. You're blind if you didn't have any issue with that thread. Especially for people new to the games.

You just look silly.

Resilient

Disdain for these threads didn't start because of the DMC thread. Or the AC:R thread. It's been an ongoing problem.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's important to be concise. If anything, you're doing yourself a disservice and sullying all that hard work by cramming too much unnecessary information into your thread. Once I get past the first or second page I just zone out and scroll past the rest.

forrest

formerly nacire
It's hilarious how in-depth system analysis are a huge no-no in a DMC thread, but then the MGS 4 and Killzone 2 OTs get away with bloated posts about past story-lines and character bios. Hell, the Killzone 2 OT had a detailed version of the entirety of the Helghan Wars.

Come on.

Agreed if there is going to be a pick and choose on what gets locked and what doesn't, lets get some form of OT standardization documented somewhere. It may seem excessive, but at least it's fair.

Oh please. That second point is just intentionally trying to start something. You're blind if you didn't have any issue with that thread. Especially for people new to the games.

Im not try to start anything. Im pointing out the obvious.

Im kinda pissed because if it wasn't for work, I would have contributing to part of that OT. Maybe it was too much, but a simple rework is all that was in order, not a whole thread lock. Ive seen much worse here and nothing is said.

It was a OT for the Fans, by the Fans. Anyone who had spent a large amount of time with the series would of appreciated the info even if it is a bit TL;DR.

Blocked and unfollowed

? In fairness I wasn't directing that at you.

Disdain for these threads didn't start because of the DMC thread. Or the AC:R thread. It's been an ongoing problem.

and I understand somewhat. But I think there is a clear distinction between pure marketing spiel in the AC:R thread and a breakdown of advanced mechanics of a re-release of a game. The fact is the AC:R thread still wasn't locked, no matter if you complained.

fernoca

I think that a if anything, when it comes to "big threads" people should ask before making them.

Last year for Mortal Kombat, I asked if it was possible..and was told that it wasn't a problem.
But even with the "bloated MK OT" I made, one thing I always had in mind while making it was to: don't copy-paste stuff online. If I was going to put summaries of the story of previous games, etc. I was going to create them myself; otherwise I would've linked to any of the Wikis out there that have summaries of it.

Later, some changes has been made around the forums and I think it was stated that OTs should be shorter. I recently posted a MK Komplete Edition OT and asked for the MK OT to be locked. So that it served as a summary for someone that was really bored or wanted to answer lots of questions); while the new OT was way shorter and focused only in answering the questions about the newest edition and the current discussion.

It was also a learning experience...
OTs I've done after it, has been smaller and focused on what people want in OTs (i.e. Control+F release dates, platforms, editions, prices, answers)... more than anything.

it's almost like this thread contains many people who are against those examples as well

actually nah it's the evil anti-Devil May Cry conspiracy

Posting mega OT's was almost worth it for how mad you would get EmCee. The Uncharted 3 thread which I did to be a troll on everyone was fantastic. Seeing how happy you were when you thought it was just going to be the kids drawing(Superior thread version) almost made me lament posting the actual OT...almost

Repentance eh?

Does this mean you're also surrendering the tag?

Ha! Repentance? I don't think so they were way to entertaining.

Agreed if there is going to be a pick and choose on what gets locked and what doesn't, lets get some form of OT standardization documented somewhere. It may seem excessive, but at least it's fair.

Okay, how about this - OT's should be restricted to a maximum of one post, and NOT FUCKING 6!

Good Lord I usually I tap my space bar to scroll down, but GODDAMN I had to hold it fucking down just to get to the first post to read the reaction, by that time the page was almost fucking finished

Holy shit you just blew my mind. I always use the page down button but the spacebar is way more convenient.

Volcynika

Im not try to start anything. Im pointing out the obvious.

Im kinda pissed because if it wasn't for work, I would have contributing to part of that OT. Maybe it was too much, but a simple rework is all that was in order, not a whole thread lock. Ive seen much worse here and nothing is said.

It was a OT for the Fans, by the Fans. Anyone who had spent a large amount of time with the series would of appreciated the info even if it is a bit TL;DR.

But it has zero relevance whether those people like/don't like certain games. I love DMC. I love Asura's Wrath. I don't really care for what I've seen of DmC. Logic broken.

You can disagree with how the mods and such handled it, but it's a serious issue to even recommend the thread for people new to the games, as the thread had tons and tons of info about enemies/bosses and spoiler details. It can be for the fans/by the fans/whatever, but these HD collections also exist to bring new people into the fold, those that missed it, and that thread was completely overwhelming.

OT's like that seem more like the OP trying to look like king of the fandom more then anything.

They sort of feel like someone really wants to make a fansite, but can't be bothered to go register anything so just use their GAF login.

It's still better than an OT that seems like somebody really fucking wants that community management / marketing job and needs to test drive a portfolio piece though.

EDIT:

You did read the OP, right?

Derrick01

Banned
That DMC thread was one of the only times I had to actually stop a page from loading on gaf and use the scroll bar instead of my mouse wheel. That OP was too damn huge.

Is this still an issue really?

If you dont like the OT's dont read them. Want to know release date of a game www.google.com

OT's are typically moved to the community section if large enough now, and they serve as a great hub for the fans and a nice show of appreciation by the fan base.

"baww i have to scroll to much" seriously what a petty problem.

Mitama

I've only played like 1/4th or so of Devil May Cry 3 and never played the first two games. Kinda sucked how it had all the bosses and story spoilers in there. I also think the OT was more resembling of a walkthrough than an informative post. Why was there info on how to handle every specific weapon and how to deal with the bosses? I mean, half of the OT was just spoilers, I just had to scroll right through. :(

They sort of feel like someone really wants to make a fansite, but can't be bothered to go register anything so just use their GAF login.

It's still better than an OT that seems like somebody really fucking wants that community management / marketing job and needs to test drive a portfolio piece though.

EDIT:

You did read the OP, right?

Im not gonna lie... I speed read it, and skipped to parts that were relevant for me. That's why I am in agreement that a rework is in order.

What I dont agree with is the information is that spoilerific, or the information is too much. Just as many people want to understand some of the higher mechanics of the games as new fans, myself included

But, until there is clarification on whether the thread is locked for good or is just being locked until it is reworked, I will say nothing more on that.

I also agree there needs to be standardized format for OT's for everyone to follow.

Is this still an issue really?

If you dont like the OT's dont read them. Want to know release date of a game www.google.com

OT's are typically moved to the community section if large enough now, and they serve as a great hub for the fans and a nice show of appreciation by the fan base.

"baww i have to scroll to much" seriously what a petty problem.

go PM the owner of NeoGAF if you have an issue with his decision: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=4

Dipswitch

I went into that DMC Trilogy thread and came out shaking my head. No way in hell I'm reading all that - and I'm actually interested in picking up the collection, having played none of the games.

Less is more as far as I'm concerned.

Canova

Banned
wanna see PR-waste viral marketing bin? how bout 3 fucking Mass Effect 3 OT threads in the first page? if you wanna see viral marketing, look no further

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom