• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT3| I Cane, I Saw, I Conqu- YOU DIED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I hear what you are saying but that is not what I see happening within the current game design system. Maybe you and other people play that way... but most of the people I am reading about are just basically running past all the enemies to the boss upon a death. And Bloodborne's design appears to intentionally make that a real possibility.

So personally the only difference between being able to restart at the boss battle or being forced to start at an earlier point is a forced 30 second to two minute boring running period where you are essentially in no danger of anything.

You're gonna see it the way you're gonna see it. If after all of our posts we can't change your mind, then there's no point in arguing with you.

Bosses that crush you are supposed to make you feel defeated. Nothing instills that feeling more than having to restart the area and have to slog through it again. But that's why you open up shortcuts to make the run back quicker. But that run is part of the boss defeating you, taunting you, sending you home with your tail between your legs.

I despise Bloodborne. It's a console arcade experience with old school game design ideas of extreme difficulty, repetition, memorization, timing, etc. The design comes from a time where games had limited resources and had to artificially create challenge so the player wouldn't reach the end too fast (and to generate more coin-op revenue).

I love the art and mood, but despise the gameplay. I feel Diablo 3 Hardcore and Dragon Age Inquisition Nightmare modes supply the right combination of challenge and reward without the repetition, tedium, and reliance almost purely on your mental and manual dexterity.

I feel Bloodborne is more appropriate for hardcore console action game fans of the DMC, Castelvania, and Ninja Gaiden ilk, than it is for your typical RPG fan.

That's a long way of saying that you suck at the game.

Carbonox

What the fuck at VA. Jesus Christ I must have died like 20 times already so far. I'm just completely stumped. Level 34 and the Ludwig Blade not ideal or what? Can get her down to half health but that's when the fun starts.

Beaulieu

I despise Bloodborne. It's a console arcade experience with old school game design ideas of extreme difficulty, repetition, memorization, timing, etc. The design comes from a time where games had limited resources and had to artificially create challenge so the player wouldn't reach the end too fast (and to generate more coin-op revenue).

I love the art and mood, but despise the gameplay. I feel Diablo 3 Hardcore and Dragon Age Inquisition Nightmare modes supply the right combination of challenge and reward without the repetition, tedium, and reliance almost purely on your mental and manual dexterity.

I feel Bloodborne is more appropriate for hardcore console action game fans of the DMC, Castelvania, and Ninja Gaiden ilk, than it is for your typical RPG fan.

Please tell me how you really feel

Virdix

Finally beat the game today.

No matter which ending you choose, you still feel like shit in a way. I chose the so called "Bad ending" simply because I didn't know how to get the "True ending" at the time. But I saw all three on youtube and they are all interesting in a way. The so called "Good ending" was the saddest imo. The doll kneeling by your grave and wishing you good luck. Sad as fuck.

Can't wait for Vaatividya's interpertation of the story and the ending.

Such a great game, really. Kinda sad to finish it, but I'm still waiting for more secrets to be found by the community. That's what these games are all about imo
Im excited too, this is the first time ive been active in a souls game community, been reading item descriptions and stuff trying to piece it together. Would love to hear Vaati and ENB talk about it.

VinFTW

End game spoiler joke:

Id like to be called
"Great One"
if possible.
Lol, after beating this game I feel that one too :p

So, I've estavlished my goals:

Beating ng+ on main str build to max out str and arcane for wheel of death.

Then starting my skill character and grabbing crow set and mercy blades.

Gonna take me a week ish, and I'm so excited to play my ass off.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Oh my God, the brain bitch with the eyeballs that casts frenzy. Ugh!!! Frenzy is such a stupid mechanic and my meter builds so fast and it's too hard to counter against that damn creature because if you use an antidote she'll grab you and munch on you. I can survive one frenzy against her and then she'll grab me if my hammer strike misses.

Ferr986

then, it's a game for that kind of people. Bloodborne doesn't have to be a game for everyone. You have, as you say, D3 and DA:I for that.

ogbg

So personally the only difference between being able to restart at the boss battle or being forced to start at an earlier point is a forced 30 second to two minute boring running period where you are essentially in no danger of anything.

It makes finding shortcuts quite joyous. I suppose they could do the same thing with hidden lanterns near the boss but I doubt that would give the same sense of satisfaction as when you open the shortcut.

Simzyy

I'm not that far, but I've been noticing the same. I'm not killing bosses left and right just like that lol, but the game has definitely gotten easier. During the first two or three bosses I was constantly thinking that his is way, WAY harder than the Souls games, right now it feels like the easiest one.

I found Dark Souls 2 near impossible at times. The hit boxes never felt right and I ended up summoning a lot. Game just felt broken to me but I might be making excuses.

At least in Bloodborne, easier or not, everything feels right and if I die it at least feels like my fault.

yeah, this is not like an RPG where u can pretty much grind and level up your way to victory. You still need core action skills to beat this game.

chris121580

Not at all.

Why is everyone so worried?

When you killed a merchant or blacksmith on in Dark Souls you were screwed.
Or stockpile Thomas.

This is a relief. She scared the hell out of me and I unleashed fury on her haha and I felt so bad when she said, "I just wanted to help people..."

Beaulieu

Lol, after beating this game I feel that one too :p

So, I've estavlished my goals:

Beating ng+ on main str build to max out str and arcane for wheel of death.

Then starting my skill character and grabbing crow set and mercy blades.

Gonna take me a week ish, and I'm so excited to play my ass off.

Playings a dex build, the cane >>> mercy blades

I found Dark Souls 2 near impossible at times. The hit boxes never felt right and I ended up summoning a lot. Game just felt broken to me but I might be making excuses.

At least in Bloodborne, easier or not, everything feels right and if I die it at least feels like my fault.

uGY6cqY.gif

taybul

I feel Diablo 3 Hardcore and Dragon Age Inquisition Nightmare modes supply the right combination of challenge and reward without the repetition, tedium, and reliance almost purely on your mental and manual dexterity.
You don't think Diablo 3 is repetitive?

OK, the early weapon S
take Driver
is cool and all, but what is the purpose of the actual
drive
charge? It is not that strong, takes TOO long to build up, sucks up all stamina, and doesn't allow for a visceral attack after it.
I don't get it.

The axe still seems the best weapon. I feeling like changing it for the BSB, but I can't find any cool STR weapon.

Virdix

Wait farming rifts isnt repetitive? I would much rather do another playthrough of bloodborne. Cant speak about DA:I because i didnt buy it.

The design comes from a time where games had limited resources and had to artificially create challenge so the player wouldn't reach the end too fast (and to generate more coin-op revenue).

Artificial difficulty is for trial and error games. Souls games tend to give you everything you need to know to clear an encounter the first time you try it if you are good enough and are paying enough attention as well as put in enough planning. The "hard but fair" nature is why some people love the difficulty of it. It is also one of the reasons why some people didn't like DS2 as much since it had several encounters that just locked you into an ambush that you would have had no indication of it happening and no way to back out of it.

Anyway, back to the game.

mxgt

Banned

Diablo 3 and DA:I were more repetitive to me than Bloodborne.

Deku Tree

That run back makes a world of difference to the people that enjoy this. It is something you learn to do, and something that you have to deal with for not being good enough. What you are saying is like saying that the bosses should not heal any of the health you took off of them if you die. I mean it's just pointless stuff that you already did right?

No that's completely different. You keep making it seem like I just want BB to be easier and hold your hand more. I don't want that at all. I love the difficulty.

I just don't want to sprint through environments with essentially no danger to myself each time I die at a boss battle. It feels like a slog to me. Although I understand your and others feelings we can just agree to feel differently about it.

You're gonna see it the way you're gonna see it. If after all of our posts we can't change your mind, then there's no point in arguing with you.

Bosses that crush you are supposed to make you feel defeated. Nothing instills that feeling more than having to restart the area and have to slog through it again. But that's why you open up shortcuts to make the run back quicker. But that run is part of the boss defeating you, taunting you, sending you home with your tail between your legs.

Same point: I love the difficulty.

I just don't want to sprint through environments with essentially no danger to myself each time I die at a boss battle. It feels like a slog to me. Although I understand your and others feelings we can just agree to feel differently about it.

todahawk

What the fuck at VA. Jesus Christ I must have died like 20 times already so far. I'm just completely stumped. Level 34 and the Ludwig Blade not ideal or what? Can get her down to half health but that's when the fun starts.

Are you using the primary attack of Ludwig? I didn't have it yet for that fight but I switched back to the saw cleaver so I could hit fast. used fire paper on it too. charged in and pushed past to get on her backside and didn't let up. worked well for me.

Deku Tree

It makes finding shortcuts quite joyous. I suppose they could do the same thing with hidden lanterns near the boss but I doubt that would give the same sense of satisfaction as when you open the shortcut.

That's very true. Pain and suffering makes the little things much more enjoyable.

KJRage

So I got the t
onsil
s
tone
and when I went back to the church, the Amygdala didn't grab me to teleport me
. Not sure if I can do anything now.

elhav

Well Bloodborne isn't a typical RPG...

Also, blaming the game's difficulty is just admitting you're not so good at the game.
The game's difficulty depends on how good you are or get. I found this game to be far easier than Dark Souls or Ninja Gaiden to be frank. It's still difficult, but once you figure out how to play well, the game really becomes fun and exciting.

Btw, since when relying on your mental and manual dexterity for a game is considered bad? It's the biggest appeal here.
Im excited too, this is the first time ive been active in a souls game community, been reading item descriptions and stuff trying to piece it together. Would love to hear Vaati and ENB talk about it.
Yeah, I'm really curious to see what these guys will find next.

Oh my God, the brain bitch with the eyeballs that casts frenzy. Ugh!!! Frenzy is such a stupid mechanic and my meter builds so fast and it's too hard to counter against that damn creature because if you use an antidote she'll grab you and munch on you. I can survive one frenzy against her and then she'll grab me if my hammer strike misses.

I like frenzy as it is your brain just not being able to stand the craziness that is happening. Those monsters are legitimately crazy and scary, and I like how my character reacts to them the same way I would.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
OH SHIT

did you guys notice there is one of those
cthulhu spiders
latched onto the
safe haven church
near the end of the game? o_O

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Woooooow I just accidentally killed an npc..... In my defense, this npc was freaky as fuck looking and it was pitch black in that room. Really fucking annoyed that this happened though. Ugh

Oh well, I'll talk with him/it in NG+.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What's the last thing that occurred with her? This is what happened to me.
I never went back to where I fought Father G after a certain battle so I missed her fighting the other two hunters. Later on after the blood moon came out instead of finding Eileen outside of the chapel, she was inside and I had to battle her instead of another hunter
I think that's what happened.

Virdix

I kove finding shortcuts, the one in Old Yharnum is my favorite, i thought that was a very cool to loop the level together. The kevek design is just so dense and looking at the geography is exciting, to me anyway.

Randam

This is a relief. She scared the hell out of me and I unleashed fury on her haha and I felt so bad when she said, "I just wanted to help people..."
What were you expecting?
That she will give you the key to the last boss and when dead, you won't be able to beat the game?

Auctopus

Lol, Bloodborne's difficulty is artificial but DA:I isn't?! Repetitive and tedious are the exact words I'd use for Nightmare mode, such as slog and unenjoyable. Tactics go out the window as the game isn't designed well enough for that sort of difficulty.

Bloodborne however, shows that Miyazaki's team know exactly how difficulty should be implemented within a game. A defeat that is entirely the player's for not using the tools handed to them correctly.

taybul

Hm maybe I should try online tonight since it seems a lot of people have trouble with Rom. What are the benefits exactly of helping someone online? In the other games you'd gain humanity at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom