• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BloodBorne Sales Expectations : What are yours? What Could Sony's be ?

Klossen

Banned
PS4 owners are hungry for a must-have title after a dissapointing The Order. The install base is growing immensely by the month and they're eager for games like Bloodborne. I think it will do great.

So the game is dominating reviews, dominating sales rankings, and selling out of stores...and yet people underestimate the sales.

lV1EFNt.jpg

CLEEK

So the game is dominating reviews, dominating sales rankings, and selling out of stores...and yet people underestimate the sales.

You're not wrong. Front page of Eurogamer right now. There are another handful of Bloodborne articles just below these ones too.

hGYcVqU.jpg

There are also seven seperate Bloodborne threads on the first page of GAF right now, with more if you go searching. All positive ones. Not many games get this reaction.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I remember Demon's Souls literally coming out of nowhere and catching everyone by surprise. And then Dark Souls happened. And then Dark Souls 2 happened.

I don't really get why people have low expectations for this game. If this really sold worse than The Order then something went terribly wrong.

XLJfyZM.png

I hope it does well.

Except Souls games have a track record of sales success. And Bloodborne isn't a 3rd party game on a dead Nintendo platform (a sequel to a game that wasn't there to begin with).

Not that this is any indication of sales, but Bloodborne has 38.2K likes on PSN as of just over 4 days being available.

For comparisons sake, Battlefield Hardline is sitting at 28.1K and Borderlands Handsome Collection at 8.2K. Interesting seeing the rate at which Bloodborne is rising. And fast.

Stampy

I guess the game atracted a lot of first time buyers when it comes to Souls games. The first boss defeat statistics will be interesting to see.

Not that this is any indication of sales, but Bloodborne has 38.2K likes on PSN as of just over 4 days being available.

For comparisons sake, Battlefield Hardline is sitting at 28.1K and Borderlands Handsome Collection at 8.2K. Interesting seeing the rate at which Bloodborne is rising. And fast.

Well you can only like a game in the PSN store if you bought it, I think.

DieH@rd

Banned
Just saying. Why in the world does Sony not update the TV commercial with quotes and scores from gaming websites? It could have attracted audience and watchers a lot easier with all the amazing review scores the game has.

Most likely.... when commercials are sent to TV houses, they are often packed into timed deals. For example rotate Bloodborne commercials #1-#3 in these thous for next two weeks. When new commercial needs to be introduced, new contract needs to be signed.

Starting to knock down the PSN cards again
IMO, the ups and downs of Bloodbrne sales on hourly charts are mostly connected to the time of day in US. We can expect next ~6-7 hours for sales to be good, and then to drop off a bit when majority of US go to sleep. Cards will remain strong because international crowd want them for purchases on cheaper US PSN.

tcrunch

Except Souls games have a track record of sales success. And Bloodborne isn't a 3rd party game on a dead Nintendo platform (a sequel to a game that wasn't there to begin with).

It was a face pic from a game that met all of Incredulous Jackie Chan's criteria and still bombed, for the sake of humor.

Nabbis

I hope it sells enough to justify more collaboration titles. Aside from certain problems, this game seems like it was made with the same creative control and people that made all the Soul games.(Aside from DS2)

Though i do think that they should keep mixing up the formula a little, or at least keep adding new features like the Chalice dungeon.

Sami+

It's been a really long time since I saw a Japanese game this widely talked about to be honest. I'm expecting a lot.

Usobuko

Banned
I think I clearly underestimated what an excellent reviewed and good word of mouth exclusive could do to it sales.

2.5M Ltd seems a little low now

autoduelist

I'm in awe of all this. Like, nearly tears of joy thinking about it.

I remember playing Demon's Souls day 1, and yes, there was a little bit of hype from people who had imported it (which is why I had it preordered), but even so it exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds... but I never, ever thought it would successful and lead to multiple spiritual successors, etc.

And then when PS4 was announced, I remember hoping beyond hope that we'd get some sort of Demon's Souls 2... and we eventually did, in the form of Bloodborne. And now it's getting amazing reviews and chewing up the charts.

So good. So good for gaming, so good for the future of the genre and the franchise, so good.

Thank you From + Sony. If you guys can give me my GOTG two gens in a row, I don't even know what else to say.

Replicant

I just hope outsells The Order. Just so the message gets sent that we prefer gameplay over 'interactive movies'

Stop assuming what I or other people want. I find The Order to be boring but that has more to do with the topic/story it chose to tell than anything else about the game. Moreover, there are rooms for different types of game. But God forbid there are games that don't cater to your taste, right?

bigace33

42+ million confirmed. Every PS4 owner has purchased 2 copies.

except me. I only bought one. :(

This may be truer than you think. I was in a customers home yesterday, and they had 5 PS4's and I saw at least 2 screens with Bloodborne on standby. It was a College dorm.

Craazyville

Neo Member
Not sure but I am glad I contributed as the hour I have had the chance to play was great!

Damn you life for getting in the way of my gaming habits!

I'm in awe of all this. Like, nearly tears of joy thinking about it.

I remember playing Demon's Souls day 1, and yes, there was a little bit of hype from people who had imported it (which is why I had it preordered), but even so it exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds... but I never, ever thought it would successful and lead to multiple spiritual successors, etc.

And then when PS4 was announced, I remember hoping beyond hope that we'd get some sort of Demon's Souls 2... and we eventually did, in the form of Bloodborne. And now it's getting amazing reviews and chewing up the charts.

So good. So good for gaming, so good for the future of the genre and the franchise, so good.

Thank you From + Sony. If you guys can give me my GOTG two gens in a row, I don't even know what else to say.

it was that 'little bit of hype' that convinced atlus to bring it here, so it couldn't've been all that little :) ...

Omadahl

Banned
I would have bought in on PC but that's not going to happen. I'll have to be satisfied by watching twitch. Bummer time.

Yep. You don't take out prime time ads during the walking dead and then only ship 300k copies to sell.

oh shit, they had ads during that? Goddamn talk about targeting the right audience. Looking at the Commercial on youtube, it has 6 million views which is alot.

Man, I hope this game does well. In the sea of Battlefields, Call of Dutys, what have you, the Souls/Blood series are such a breath of fresh air.

I would have bought in on PC but that's not going to happen. I'll have to be satisfied by watching twitch. Bummer time.

See, this is one of those games where just watching it won't satisfy you like say a story based game. I'm guessing a lot of people are picking up that Bloodborne bundle off of Amazon due to the streams.

Yet, I'm still not getting sucked into the sales hype. I'm guessing it will do around 250K for its first month on the NPD's.

2thepoint

Well, more anecdotes - my friend is the personification of a casual gamer, never touched either Demon Souls or Dark Souls, and picked up Bloodborne day 1 (as did I).

My friends list has quite a few people playing Bloodborne, and I believe this title is going to do very well in sales.

CLEEK

Unlike the majority of Platinum's titles, the souls series actually do sell.

Unlike Nintendo who basically did shit all to promote Bayo 2, Sony actually did a great job advertising Bloodborne.

It's a shame that Platinum don't seem to have/want a relationship with Sony. While it's great that if it wasn't for Nintendo, we wouldn't have got W101 and Bayo2. But then they failed to market either game at all. Don't recall Madworld getting any publicity either.

And last gen, Platinum went with Xbox for Bayo1, even though the platform was dead in their home nation. The shitty, late PS3 port outsold it in Japan significantly. And now they're doing the same with Scalebound.

The PS4 seems like the best fit for their games, yet it's their last choice platform.

Nameless

383k at retail and #1 on the PS4 digital sales chart for the month. I think the digital version may end up cannibalizing the physical version's sales quite a bit given the games's core audience and just how insanely hyped they were for it.

VertPin

I didn't read the spoilers thread, and I don't have the game.

But I read that the bosses are extremely easy and that there's a graphical downgrade.

The former would guarantee more sales for the wider demographic. Not sure if the latter's true (didn't enter thread, which is now locked).

Completely wrong. Bosses are incredibly hard and there has been no downgrade. The game is fantastic.

CLEEK

383k at retail and #1 on the PS4 digital sales chart for the month. I think the digital version may end up cannibalizing the physical version's sales quite a bit given the games's core audience and just how insanely hyped they were for it.

There's another reason why digital sales will be strong.

tumblr_mxvvoz1xnh1qz7kjgo1_250.jpg

Kusagari

I didn't read the spoilers thread, and I don't have the game.

But I read that the bosses are extremely easy and that there's a graphical downgrade.

The former would guarantee more sales for the wider demographic. Not sure if the latter's true (didn't enter thread, which is now locked).

lol the bosses are hard as hell.

There's nothing approaching O&S, but the bosses on average are probably the hardest in the series.

farisr

I guess the game atracted a lot of first time buyers when it comes to Souls games. The first boss defeat statistics will be interesting to see.

It definitely did. I've been aware of the souls games since Demons souls, was never interested despite the good word of mouth and reviews they got. Just didn't appeal to me. It seems the "next-gen" sheen and quicker pace of combat did the trick.

And I'm not part of the group that is "thirsty for games on the ps4." In fact I feel I have too many games to play and this game is probably gonna take me a month to beat so it's not gonnna help with that backlog.

Currently at the first boss, tried 4 times already before leaving for work, got my ass kicked. Molotoving the crap out of it. Wish there was a way to buy oil, asthe two times I had the opportunity to use it, it seemingly did a lot more damage than just plain old molotovs.

Top Bottom