• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BloodBorne Sales Expectations : What are yours? What Could Sony's be ?

I live in the bay area went to a best buy at around 11am on launch day and got the last copy in the store. It was crazy to be, for a souls game

Yeah, the reception seems insane compared to other souls games. When I went to Gamestop on Tuesday night they only had pre-order copies left~

I expect it to sell around 700 or 800k and I think Sony has it probably at 2 million. I think it'll push consoles in Japan, but it won't last long, by April or May it'll be back to sub 20 levels.

700-800k worldwide?! Demon's Souls sold over 500k in the US alone.

700-800k worldwide?! Demon's Souls sold over 500k in the US alone.

Yeah but that was over 2-3 years. When Demons Souls launched it was more of a cult hit, until word of mouth spread the fervor, and by the time Dark Souls came out everyone was in a craze for Souls.

Truly we are the demons.

Moodz

Reporting from south of France here.
I was forced to do a lot of shopping the last few days, and everywhere I went, I checked the prices of the new video game releases. I haven't seen a single physical copy of Bloodborne yet. Whether it was hypermarkets, malls, Fnac or Micromania, all I saw was empty shelves with a Bloodborne price tag.

That's GTA or Fifa level, but maybe they just underestimated the appeal and the stocks were very low. We'll know soon.

I'm not interested in the game right now because I don't want to pay full price for a game that I might be too terrified to play, but if I wanted to, my only option would be overpriced online shops since amazon.fr is also sold out...

I live in the bay area went to a best buy at around 11am on launch day and got the last copy in the store. It was crazy to be, for a souls game

I'm just hoping it wasn't very undershipped

They seem to be advertising it way too much to be a game that they'd undership.

hawk2025

They seem to be advertising it way too much to be a game that they'd undership.

Hope you are right.

Either way, seeing so many reports of sell-outs answers at least part of the OP's question: The game is selling at or above Sony's expectations, whatever they may be.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
You definitely need.

I can't like for example The Order because I don't have it... it shows "Add to cart" instead "Like".
You can "Like" disc games.

xcK3eh8.jpg
xI9FaGD.jpg

Ratings are what are restricted to digital games only.

Paskil

Bloodborne is up to 29 on 2015 bestsellers. Curious to see how far the current Amazon deal pushes it. #2 on the hourly, right now.

newjeruse

Bloodborne is up to 29 on 2015 bestsellers. Curious to see how far the current Amazon deal pushes it. #2 on the hourly, right now.
I bet it's still being undercounted since it's below FFX0 on the 2015 chart but above it on the monthly chart.

Tratorn

Amazon.com is not a good indicator to estimate the "real" (the user really wants the game and does not sell it) sales for the game. The PS4 + bloodborne + GC deal is one of the best deals for the PS4 ever, so many people who are looking to buy a PS4 right now, will buy it on amazon with this game. If they really play (and enjoy) the game, is another story. But I hope the most will do. Definitely an amazing game thar deserves all the success it can get.

Amazon.com is not a good indicator to estimate the "real" (the user really wants the game and does not sell it) sales for the game. The PS4 + bloodborne + GC deal is one of the best deals for the PS4 ever, so many people who are looking to buy a PS4 right now, will buy it on amazon with this game. If they really play (and enjoy) the game, is another story. But I hope the most will do. Definitely an amazing game thar deserves all the success it can get.

There is no indicator of "real" sales that we will ever get.

whateverblah

Neo Member

That has nothing to do with the sales rank of the individual Bloodborne SKU.

why did they make the dark souls 2 remastered release date so close to bloodborne? i wonder if there'll be a case of cannabalization in from software's sales.

Replicant

You're thinking of ratings. You can "like" disc games while the star based ratings on the PS Store are only available to people who purchased off PSN.

You can only "like" any game if you're using the account that you used to purchase it. I often buy from other countries retail shop or PSN and play it on my primary account, which is US based, so I often don't get the "like" button if the disc is from Australia, for example.

why did they make the dark souls 2 remastered release date so close to bloodborne? i wonder if there'll be a case of cannabalization in from software's sales.

I'm not really sure. I guess Namco was hoping that Bloodborne hype would maybe get newer players to also jump in on DS2 but I'm not sure how successful that would be.

Bloodborne sales might have long legs and it might just completely cut into whatever Namco was hoping with the DS2 remaster.

Edit: They could just be hoping for XB1 sales given that BB is exclusive.

Mifune

Mehmber
I doubt Bloodborne will lose any sales to a full priced remaster of an inferior game so it's not a big deal.

I hope they both sell like crazy. I want From Software to be the new Japanese powerhouse on the console front, garnering sales and critical acclaim, paving the way for other studios. I want From to branch out into non-Souls games once again. I want more big-budget Japanese games, period.

jimminy1403

Neo Member
I'm not really sure. I guess Namco was hoping that Bloodborne hype would maybe get newer players to also jump in on DS2 but I'm not sure how successful that would be.

Bloodborne sales might have long legs and it might just completely cut into whatever Namco was hoping with the DS2 remaster.

Edit: They could just be hoping for XB1 sales given that BB is exclusive.

Well, having not played any of the Soul's games, there was very little chance I was going to buy the DS2 remaster. Now, having played and loved BB, I'm seriously considering it. Maybe that was the thinking behind it?

Well, having not played any of the Soul's games, there was very little chance I was going to buy the DS2 remaster. Now, having played and loved BB, I'm seriously considering it. Maybe that was the thinking behind it?

Yea, I totally think that was the reasoning behind it.

I was just questioning how successful it might be. Because that reasoning requires people to double dip. That's fine and all but, Bloodborne seems to have legs in terms of sales. As much as people might enjoy BB and buy DS2 (like you), it might be the case that a week from now, people are still buying BB over DS2.

I think Namco could have accomplished the same goal of getting new BB fans onto DS2 by releasing the game just a bit later.

but as strongblackvine said, bloodborne is the better game. built from the ground up for this gen, and in a few weeks the remaster is releasing. this usually happens the other way around, and with a bigger gap in release time.

unless dark souls is coming at lower than full price.

jimminy1403

Neo Member
Yea, I totally think that was the reasoning behind it.

I think Namco could have accomplished the same goal of getting new BB fans onto DS2 by releasing the game just a bit later.

Actually yeah I agree thinking about it now. Even a month later. I'm probably not going to buy it on release as I'll still be playing BB. It's tough to time I suppose - releasing it while the hype of BB is still strong but people may still be playing BB, or a bit later and run the risk of people having already moved on/less hype in general.

Pachinko

I think bloodborne will outsell any of the previous souls games but that won't really paint the whole picture. I feel like a good portion of the buyers , perhaps half ? haven't played one of these titles before and just flat out won't get into it. This means they'll either return it or trade it off awful fast and the glut of used copies will kill the new sales.

They really should have saved the accessibility that DS2 ended up having for this if they wanted it to have more mainstream appeal. Or , at the very least had 2 difficulty options - Traditional (things stay as they are) and Tourist (you don't lose your souls when you die and there are checkpoints that act as save states before bosses so if you die at the boss you can reload that checkpoint and not have to re-farm items, the only exception being your first encounter with the first boss, in fact maybe even make it so that beating him in 1 try would recommend the player move to traditional difficulty, perhaps even offer a difficulty knock down if you die more then 5 times on one boss in traditional too).

In short, I think this game will end up being very cheap in about 2 months from frustrated salty people trading it off. Possibly even people that thought it was too easy trading it in for dark souls 2 remastered in a few months ?

That doesn't make much sense to me also. Oh well, I will buy DS2.1 but at a discounted price as I won't be done this one for months.

Wow Bloodborne jumped from #50 best selling of 2015 to number 28 best selling of 2015.

And now it is #2 overall on Amazon, even beating out some of the PSN cards lol. PS4 at #4 now. For comparisons sake, Dying Light PS4 is #40 best selling of 2015. The Order #47.

I'm thinking sales are going to be very, very healthy WW. Especially with sold out reports in Japan.

750k US, 500K EU/UK, 200k Japan launch week is what im thinking.

Wow Bloodborne jumped from #50 best selling of 2015 to number 28 best selling of 2015.

And now it is #2 overall on Amazon, even beating out some of the PSN cards lol. PS4 at #4 now. For comparisons sake, Dying Light PS4 is #40 best selling of 2015. The Order #47.

I'm thinking sales are going to be very, very healthy WW. Especially with sold out reports in Japan.

750k US, 500K EU/UK, 200k Japan launch week is what im thinking.

Am I reading this right? 750k launch in the US?

GAF you really need to temper your expectations. It did well but some of you are getting way ahead of yourselves.

For example Hardline will be number 1 NPD and by a good sized margin.

What? If the user sells it, it still only registers as one sale... So it's a better indicator than not.

but as strongblackvine said, bloodborne is the better game. built from the ground up for this gen, and in a few weeks the remaster is releasing. this usually happens the other way around, and with a bigger gap in release time.

unless dark souls is coming at lower than full price.

You know that not everyone owns a PS4 right? On youtube you have a million salty pretzels in every Bloodborne video.

Elandyll

Banned
Am I reading this right? 750k launch in the US?

GAF you really need to temper your expectations. It did well but some of you are getting way ahead of yourselves.

For example Hardline will be number 1 NPD and by a good sized margin.

It's interesting to imagine there would be such a wide difference with Amazon...
Hardline straight bombed there (#41 on PS4 and #64 on XB1 for the month so far).

Did you guys have a special promo that made it that much more beneficial to buy it with your company?

autoduelist

My Target had two different Bloodborne slots, and only the 2 'front copies' and 2 behind them. Which means after I bought, they only had 3 left. The dude at the register talked up the game like crazy, and someone else there kind of wanted it but was too 'scared' to buy it. Glad to see it selling well.

It's interesting to imagine there would be such a wide difference with Amazon...
Hardline straight bombed there (#41 on PS4 and #64 on XB1 for the month so far).

Did you guys have a special promo that made it that much more beneficial to buy it with your company?

Evolve bombed on Amazon. Out of the top 40 like 1 day after launch.

It was number 2 in NPD last month.

500k is already extremely-optimistic. 750k is absurd. That's more than Uncharted 3.

350k is where I see it topping out for March, but with good legs, I think it can do better over the year with very few games of its kind as competition.

Doubly so when it's a... "mainstream" IP, so to speak.

The bigger the brand, the more likely it is that the sales trend would be that of the more mainstream consumer, who buys at retail, doesn't necessarily pre-order, etc.

noobie

Banned

Thank you for bringing reality check in the thread.

Btw can you say that Bloodborne provided a noticable bump to PS4 hardware? or PS4 hardware sales have been normal

Sjefen

This looks like the best selling AAA game for PS4 thus far, looking at Amazon top seller list 6 days after release:
Bloodborne physical copy sits at nr.2
Bloodborne bundle with PS4 nr.4
Bloodborne collection edition nr.34
Bloodborne digital code nr.84

I guessed 3 million, but will raise it to 4 mill. The thirst for blood was greater then I thought....

Stampy

Currently at the first boss, tried 4 times already before leaving for work, got my ass kicked. Molotoving the crap out of it. Wish there was a way to buy oil, asthe two times I had the opportunity to use it, it seemingly did a lot more damage than just plain old molotovs.

Here is couple of tips:
1. Open the shortcut to the boss. If you cann't find it try investigating. You don't have to go underground or sewers for the shortcut.

2. Level up 3-4 levels. Raise up hp and stamina a bit.

3. When fighting the boss, just be careful to be always near him and behind. After he finished his attack, attack him in in the back. Rinse and repeat. When he goes all furry read, step back until he pumels the ground and then return back. Heal as needed. And try to have 200 blood vials when encoutnering the boss.

Hope that helps.

Do we really need 3-4 threads about Bloodborne on the first page. Shit is ridiculous. Can't this all be contained in the OT?

I find this thread useful. You really cann't have a meaningful focused discusion in OT. No way. The thread just moves too fast.

DieH@rd

Banned
Do we really need 3-4 threads about Bloodborne on the first page. Shit is ridiculous. Can't this all be contained in the OT?

No. Bloodborne threads serve their purposes well, each is dedicated to a specific topic. But don't worry, this happens often with big AAA games [especially those with very hardcore audience]. Very soon number of active threads will go down.

Top Bottom