• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BloodBorne Sales Expectations : What are yours? What Could Sony's be ?

Smash88

Banned
Do we really need 3-4 threads about Bloodborne on the first page. Shit is ridiculous. Can't this all be contained in the OT?

tcrunch

Do we really need 3-4 threads about Bloodborne on the first page. Shit is ridiculous. Can't this all be contained in the OT?

There's also several stealth Bloodborne threads that don't say Bloodborne in the title and then proceed to talk about in the OP. Like in the game, you must step carefully, and be ever-observant of your surroundings to unlock all possible paths.

hawk2025

For future reference -- Thread whining is not welcome on GAF. Let the mods handle it if they think a thread shouldn't exist.

The game has immense potential to reach anywhere between 4-6million because:

a) Most critically appreciated PS4 exclusive

b) From the creator of DS and DeS

c) Meaty gameplay content that will have gamers soaked in for tens and tens of hours.

It's a shame that Platinum don't seem to have/want a relationship with Sony. While it's great that if it wasn't for Nintendo, we wouldn't have got W101 and Bayo2. But then they failed to market either game at all. Don't recall Madworld getting any publicity either.

And last gen, Platinum went with Xbox for Bayo1, even though the platform was dead in their home nation. The shitty, late PS3 port outsold it in Japan significantly. And now they're doing the same with Scalebound.

The PS4 seems like the best fit for their games, yet it's their last choice platform.

I really doubt there's any conscious decision in there. They went with the 360 for Bayonetta 1 because that was the platform they were the most familiar with and they assumed Sega wouldn't completely fuck up the PS3 version. It backfired but they learnt their lesson, leading on PS3 for all their other last gen multiplatform games (Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising, Anarchy Reigns and Legend of Korra). If I recall correctly, Vanquish and Metal Gear Rising even performed best on PS3.

How are they doing the same with Scalebound? It's not a Sega game, it's a first party Microsoft game. If you're going to complain about them taking Microsoft up on that offer, you may as well start complaining about From Software taking up Sony's offer for Bloodborne. From and Platinum aren't incredibly well off studios that can pick and choose what they want to work on, if they get a good offer and the timing is right, they'll probably go ahead with them.

I'm not sure why Sony haven't tried to work with them yet, as it's not like Platinum insist on owning the IPs they create like Insomniac do these days, which is an obvious dealbreaker. But to talk about it as if it's all on Platinum to work with Sony is completely absurd. Sony has to offer them a deal before they can work together and who knows if Sony's even interested. There's plenty of reasons why Sony wouldn't be, the fact that Platinum's games almost always bomb being first and foremost. Or maybe Sony are interested but Microsoft and Nintendo got to them first. Who knows, there's plenty of possibilities.

Servbot24

Banned
Hardcore Souls fan base is an automatic 1 million (people who will buy a PS4 specifically for this game if they don't already have one). Another million for people who enjoyed a Souls game before and willing to try another due to hype. Another .5 for people new to the series but buying the hype. I guess 2.5.

N.Domixis

Banned
The game has immense potential to reach anywhere between 4-6million because:

a) Most critically appreciated PS4 exclusive

b) From the creator of DS and DeS

c) Meaty gameplay content that will have gamers soaked in for tens and tens of hours.

Its tied THE HIGHEST rated next gen exclusive game on all platforms.

bigjig

It's doing well here in Japan, if Amazon charts are any indication. It now sits above Yakuza 0 for the PS3 for the 2015 best sellers, which is insane considering the difference in install base, Yakuza 0 launched 2 weeks earlier and is part of a long running franchise.

Huff

Banned
I really doubt there's any conscious decision in there. They went with the 360 for Bayonetta 1 because that was the platform they were the most familiar with and they assumed Sega wouldn't completely fuck up the PS3 version. It backfired but they learnt their lesson, leading on PS3 for all their other last gen multiplatform games (Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising, Anarchy Reigns and Legend of Korra). If I recall correctly, Vanquish and Metal Gear Rising even performed best on PS3.

How are they doing the same with Scalebound? It's not a Sega game, it's a first party Microsoft game. If you're going to complain about them taking Microsoft up on that offer, you may as well start complaining about From Software taking up Sony's offer for Bloodborne. From and Platinum aren't incredibly well off studios that can pick and choose what they want to work on, if they get a good offer and the timing is right, they'll probably go ahead with them.

I'm not sure why Sony haven't tried to work with them yet, as it's not like Platinum insist on owning the IPs they create like Insomniac do these days, which is an obvious dealbreaker. But to talk about it as if it's all on Platinum to work with Sony is completely absurd. Sony has to offer them a deal before they can work together and who knows if Sony's even interested. There's plenty of reasons why Sony wouldn't be, the fact that Platinum's games almost always bomb being first and foremost. Or maybe Sony are interested but Microsoft and Nintendo got to them first. Who knows, there's plenty of possibilities.

Sony puts out plenty of bombs on their own without hiring a team whose games always fail

CLEEK

I'm not complaining about Platinum's various platform exclusives. I'm a multi format gamer, and like the fact that striking up deals with 1st party publishers gives them the safety net to make the games they want too.

I just find it odd they haven't had a deal like that with Sony. It could be all on Sony not starting the conversation and offering such a thing. But again, that's odd because Sony have reached out to other Japanese studios like From and Capcom for PS4 exclusives.

I just want a situation where top tier Japanese action games get made and marketed so they can be enjoyed by as wide an audience as possible. That doesn't have to mean they're multiformat, but if they're exclusive, they need backing by the platform holder.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Well you can only like a game in the PSN store if you bought it, I think.
You're thinking of ratings. You can "like" disc games while the star based ratings on the PS Store are only available to people who purchased off PSN.

Zetta

After all the wait,hype and actual enjoyment I have gotten from the game, having so many threads seems logical. On topic though, I think this is going to sell great.

Auctopus

I think it's going to have sold incredibly well.

I wish there were statistics for amount of copies returned within a week.

What i experienced over the last Days changed my Mind about the Sales Potential of this Game

I really think this Game has the potential to reach 4 Mio lifetime sales

1. I dont think any Souls Game had this enormous Hype and Media Coverage like Bloodborne (of course Sony is also involved in this)...By the Media this game is treated like an Uncharted or God of War Game

2. The commercial succes (reviews) of this game will affect many Players....especially because as an Ps4 exclusive, this game gets way more attention from the Ps4 owners

3. Next to the Souls Community on its back, i also have the feeling that many New Gamers are interested in Bloodborne (People who normally arent into this type of Games)

Seriously i hear people talking about this game that normally play Fifa and Cod...And they are planning to buy this game due to the Hype.

ilium

I'm in awe of all this. Like, nearly tears of joy thinking about it.

I remember playing Demon's Souls day 1, and yes, there was a little bit of hype from people who had imported it (which is why I had it preordered), but even so it exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds... but I never, ever thought it would successful and lead to multiple spiritual successors, etc.

And then when PS4 was announced, I remember hoping beyond hope that we'd get some sort of Demon's Souls 2... and we eventually did, in the form of Bloodborne. And now it's getting amazing reviews and chewing up the charts.

So good. So good for gaming, so good for the future of the genre and the franchise, so good.

Thank you From + Sony. If you guys can give me my GOTG two gens in a row, I don't even know what else to say.

I feel the same. Can remember like it was yesterday when i imported demon's souls because there was no EU release in sight and then being blown away by the game. I never could imagen the game break out of it's obscure niche status, yet here we are speculating about sales potentially in the millions.

Holy shit.

Jomjom

Banned
You guys are going to be impressed

So the game is dominating reviews, dominating sales rankings, and selling out of stores...and yet people underestimate the sales.

lV1EFNt.jpg

I dont believe you guys. John Harker called everyone fools for overestimating sales. I think he's an expert so i think I'll go with his opinion thank you very much.

HardRojo

PM a mod if you don't think some threads are worthy of existing. Thread whining is frowned upon as far as I know. Also, you should have seen this coming since the hype was palpable. Everyone went nuts when Project Beast leaked.

On-topíc: I believe BB will sell well, it might even surprise us.

ethomaz

Banned
Why do I only get 4961 ratings on US PSN web store?
Rating on PS4 is useless... you need to look at the likes because you can only like if you bought the game.

BTW you can only rate after like the game.

So the minimum guys that bought the game digital in US is equal to the likes number.

Edit - Web store didn't show likes... Destiny have 505k likes in US.

Which one is the other?

Super Mario 3D World. The only games rated higher than those two on current gen platforms are remasters: GTAV, TLOU Remastered and Zelda OoT 3D (while P4G and Cave Story are rated the same, at 93).

I'm not complaining about Platinum's various platform exclusives. I'm a multi format gamer, and like the fact that striking up deals with 1st party publishers gives them the safety net to make the games they want too.

I just find it odd they haven't had a deal like that with Sony. It could be all on Sony not starting the conversation and offering such a thing. But again, that's odd because Sony have reached out to other Japanese studios like From and Capcom for PS4 exclusives.

I just want a situation where top tier Japanese action games get made and marketed so they can be enjoyed by as wide an audience as possible. That doesn't have to mean they're multiformat, but if they're exclusive, they need backing by the platform holder.

Yeah, it's hard to disagree with that. My concern for Scalebound is that Microsoft are just going to throw it out there with no hype or marketing, like they did with D4.

Kimawolf

I expect it to sell around 700 or 800k and I think Sony has it probably at 2 million. I think it'll push consoles in Japan, but it won't last long, by April or May it'll be back to sub 20 levels.

Averon

I wonder if Miyazaki will stick around for Bloodborne 2 or if he will go back to Dark Souls for Dark Souls 3. Assuming BB is a sales hit (and it is looking like it is) I'm sure Sony want Miyazaki to direct BB2.

gcubed

I legit cannot find any Bloodborne at my store. I went in Friday and there was not one copy. There was plenty of Battlefield:HL, though for comparison.

I live in the bay area went to a best buy at around 11am on launch day and got the last copy in the store. It was crazy to be, for a souls game

I'm just hoping it wasn't very undershipped

Top Bottom