• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters DLC revealed ($20), November 2015, game sells 2 million

Agram

Just saw the trailer... HHNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Can't wait for the expansion and I'm so happy it sold that much. I'm hoping for a sequel.
Based Miyazaki!!!!

Brain... melting... dripping... from... ears...

So a nightmare inside a nightmare?....Inceptionborne

Unless I'm messing up my BB lore something fierce (which is very much possible), you already visit a nightmare within a nightmare in regular BB. Accepting death by Gehrman makes you leave the nightmare that is BB's world and wake up in the real world. But before that, while inside that dreamworld, you visit the Nightmare of Mensis, which is Micolash' and the other Mensis scholars' nightmare. Since Micolash is asleep (read: dead) in the "main" dreamwold, it would mean that his nightmare is precisely that.

zma1013

I hope they add the option to re-spec. I don't want to have to play with an over leveled N+++ character.

How would respeccing change that? You'd respec and still be the same over leveled character, just with different specs, which yes they should add, but it wouldn't change your particular problem. You will want to just make a new character to avoid that.

Gbraga

I'd guess the closed trapdoor in Byrgenworth.

If they're messing with Byrgenwerth, I hope they don't eliminate the skip, it's so much fun :C

Have mercy, Paleblood.

Unless I'm messing up my BB lore something fierce (which is very much possible), you already visit a nightmare within a nightmare in regular BB. Accepting death by Gehrman makes you leave the nightmare that is BB's world and wake up in the real world. But before that, while inside that dreamworld, you visit the Nightmare of Mensis, which is Micolash' and the other Mensis scholars' nightmare. Since Micolash is asleep (read: dead) in the "main" dreamwold, it would mean that his nightmare is precisely that.

Nonono, the waking world, where most of the game takes place, is very much the real world. Bloodborne's story doesn't take a place in a dream or anything like that. Plus, the Nightmares are more like a parallel dimension where weird shit happens than our regular concept of dreams. They're just as real, only crazy. Accepting Gehrman's offer frees you from the nightmare which is the Hunter's Dream and all the crazy eldritch bullshit you've experienced.

Neoweee

How would respeccing change that? You'd respec and still be the same over leveled character, just with different specs, which yes they should add, but it wouldn't change your particular problem. You will want to just make a new character to avoid that.

Making a new chararacter is kind of screwy due to having the redo Chalice progression. The entire Chalice structure needs a revision.

pantsmith

The simple effect is that Bloodborne takes place well beyond the realm of human comprehension or understanding, as is the case with the genre.

Gbraga

Making a new chararacter is kind of screwy due to having the redo Chalice progression. The entire Chalice structure needs a revision.

Yep, give us all the chalices opened for free after you clear them once with one character, that would be the best possible thing for this game. For the next one? Don't even revisit this concept.

NastyBook

That trailer was EROTIC. So what am I looking at for the rest of this year:

MGSV TPP
Destiny TTK
Witcher 3 HoS
Transformers Devastation
SW Battlefront
BB TOH
Just Cause 3

I'm sweating.
Grimløck;178845497 said:
in my veins

CO7UZWWUwAAt_zS.jpg
I can't handle all this dapper and dandyism.

Chubear

Can you download it? Is it content that you can download? then it's DLC. They are not mutually exclusive.

Hell, almost EVERY GAME on the PS4 is itself a DLC since you can download them. All that content :).

Still this is cool for BB fans, large scale additions (aka expansions) are always acceptable and have been since the days of old :)
Just stop. We all know what we mean in the gaming community when we say "DLC". If you believe that a game is DLC because it's downloadable then bully for you, have fun.

Um, respeccing in a Souls/BB game would simply lower your level to 10 or whatever and make your stats (and level up cost) drop accordingly. Still, making an alt is pretty much the same and you get to kep both, so...

Edit: OK, you have a point about Chalices. Probably best if they just unlocked like suggested above, yes.

FATALITY

Banned
Isn't Dark Souls 1 at about 5 million including Prepare to Die? Is Bloodborne really likely to beat that? Sony was giving it away for free with ps4s in Japan.

lol
where did you get that from?
bloodborne is more expensive than mgsv here in uk.

Just stop. We all know what we mean in the gaming community when we say "DLC". If you believe that a game is DLC because it's downloadable then bully for you, have fun.

Dark Soul's "expansion" is listed as DLC in the PS store, the wiki and everywhere else. Perhaps "we" is just "you"?

If they're messing with Byrgenwerth, I hope they don't eliminate the skip, it's so much fun :C

Have mercy, Paleblood.
Nonono, the waking world, where most of the game takes place, is very much the real world. Bloodborne's story doesn't take a place in a dream or anything like that. Plus, the Nightmares are more like a parallel dimension where weird shit happens than our regular concept of dreams. They're just as real, only crazy. Accepting Gehrman's offer frees you from the nightmare which is the Hunter's Dream and all the crazy eldritch bullshit you've experienced.

Yeah, "real world" was not the right term, as in Lovecraftian literature the dreamlands are as real as our world. Sorry, force of habit. :)

Mandelbo

With regards to the chalice dungeons, I do hope you can get to the DLC without needing to go through them, and that if there is any chalice dungeon content in the DLC that it isn't substantial. I really didn't enjoy playing the chalice dungeons very much, so much so that I've just ignored them on every subsequent character I've made after initially beating the game.

Lmao. Is this not content that you can download? DLC doesn't mean "horse armor" and equivalents, it literally means what it stands for.

Sesha

I didn't see the conference or the previous sales. Seeing how Sony said it was beyond expectations sales wise, I was just thinking of bigger numbers (like between 3-5 million or so).

"Beyond expectations" means they probably expected 1 or 1.5 million. If they had sold crazy numbers like 4-5 million they would have had every Sony employee in the world shouting it from the rooftops. Verendus would have been too busy screaming his lungs out to post leaks.

Please no new Chalice Dungeons

Please mo' new Chalice Dungeons.

Wagram

Looks awesome, but here's hoping there's more than one boss (some looked ripped out of the main game?). $20 for one boss seems outrageous (i'm sure there's more).

zma1013

Um, respeccing in a Souls/BB game would simply lower your level to 10 or whatever and make your stats (and level up cost) drop accordingly. Still, making an alt is pretty much the same and you get to kep both, so...

Edit: OK, you have a point about Chalices. Probably best if they just unlocked like suggested above, yes.

How it worked in DS1 you couldn't delevel though as far as I know, it was simply reallocation levels. Was there a way to do that?

high stats blood gems

None of which are needed to actually play or beat the game. You wouldn't need them to go through the DLC.

Kirkhammer sucks anyhow...

I haven't played in a while, did they change it?

autoduelist

Yeah, I saw what looked like a chalice dungeon shot in the trailer and got disgusted instantly. Still can't wait for the game.

Chalice dungeons [that is, fully realized procedurally generated 3D dungeons] will take several iterations to fully evolve and feel 'right'. You need great code, a ton of set piece designs [so players don't recognize repeats], lots of alternate textures [same reason], and generally a massive amount of assets with smart, intelligent randomized design.

This isn't easy, and will take experience to get right. Heck, just having randomized ASCII dungeons in roguelikes is difficult -- getting rooms, walls, and corridors right, building up a library of set pieces, etc... doing it fully realized [where we instantly recognize repetition in room design, etc] is monumental.

BUT... it also has huge promise. I hope they do add to it, and I hope they take everything they learned and apply it to BB2 and then 3... because if and when they master it, Chalice dungeons will be absolutely amazing.

SkylineRKR

Fuck Chalice.

Can't wait for the DLC though. If Abyss and the Crowns are anything to go by, this stuff will be glorious.

I'm thinking more like not using up all my points. But yeah just starting a new character would probably be best.

Jigorath

Banned
Considering that Dark Souls 2 shipped 2.5m copies, it's really impressive that Bloodborne managed 2m sales on only one platform.

Anyways, so hyped for this. And that boxart is so good.

Top Bottom