• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Nintendo Jumps as Public Gets First Taste of Super Mario Run

Interfectum

I have zero understanding why anyone here is excited for this game, but I'm willing to believe I'm missing something and it's not just the Nintendo Hype Train that happens with everything they do, regardless of merit.

It looks fun, it has a familiar theme and set of characters and it's on a device I carry with me 24/7.

So yeah it has a little to do with Nintendo because people trust the brand and they like the series. I'm not sure what's hard to understand here.

BY2K

Membero Americo
CzPia1kUQAELH9Q.jpg:large

*sound of silence*

Z3M0G

November jump was Switch? It is note-worthy how much longer it held steady after that.

Also, there will be no F2P version of this, right?

Pejo

I'm still not sure why I should be particularly excited about Mario Run. Rayman did this exact gameplay concept years ago, and it's definitely fun, but not mindblowing.

Is the hype just because it's Nintendo on mobile, or that it's Mario off of a Nintendo console or something?

Well Pokemon Go was released on android and has a completely different f2p pay model.

But Super Mario Run is going to make Nintendo more money than Nintendo and TPC made on Pokemon Go combined.
I agree this will make Nintendo boatloads more money since it's their game, compared to the very small cut they got from Pokémon.

Like the other guy said it's coming Android later, but I was saying I don't see it being as big of a phenomenon as Pokémon Go. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see it and that's not a diss against SMR because I think it's going to do very well.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'm still not sure why I should be particularly excited about Mario Run. Rayman did this exact gameplay concept years ago, and it's definitely fun, but not mindblowing.

Is the hype just because it's Nintendo on mobile, or that it's Mario off of a Nintendo console or something?

It's because Nintendo's software output is generally regarded as high quality, something the mobile space could really use these days in an age of candy crush and game of war clones.

Why investors wanted Nintendo to go mobile. Also why investors are smarter than fans.

Investors would be happy to see nintendo go totally mobile and drop hardware business.

They chose despite investors to have a mixed strategy and it seems to work so far.

As a fan I find it to be a good idea.

Why investors wanted Nintendo to go mobile. Also why investors are smarter than fans.

Fans care about the quality of the games. Investors do not.

So, yeah, economically investors are smarter than fans. But game-quality wise? Just look at Pokemon GO and tell me how fans were wrong.

Servbot24

Banned
Investors would be happy to see nintendo go totally mobile and drop hardware business.

They chose despite investors to have a mixed strategy and it seems to work so far.

As a fan I find it to be a good idea.

As a fan I'm glad they're staying in hardware, but that's just selfishness on my part. As a fan I would love a Switch launch with Metroid, F-Zero and Pikmin, but that would be a bad move for Nintendo.

Interfectum

Fans care about the quality of the games. Investors do not.

So, yeah, economically investors are smarter than fans. But game-quality wise? Just look at Pokemon GO and tell me how fans were wrong.

Pokemon GO brought a massive amount of brand awareness to a mainstream audience... so much so that it arguably was one of the reasons the latest Pokemon release sold so well.

So seems investors and fans should be pleased.

Pokemon GO brought a massive amount of brand awareness to a mainstream audience... so much so that it arguably was one of the reasons the latest Pokemon release sold so well.

So seems investors and fans should be pleased.

Why would fans care if Pokemon is even more popular than already is? Fans care if the quality of the products (in this case games) keeps improving, instead of becoming a cheap chinese knockoff. Which is the case of PoGo.

mrpeabody

Good to see Nintendo finally accepting reality and moving forward into the smartphone era. The writing is on the wall for their hardware business. This isn't about getting people to buy a Switch.

Game looks fun and appealing. Looks Nintendo.

Kingdom Builder is intriguing but doesn't seem to go anywhere? You run the other two modes to earn coins, to buy buildings, to...what? There isn't a share function, you can't visit other people's kingdoms. Completionism I guess.

Significant that Nintendo's first mobile game is an AAA game starring their biggest character. It's not a port of an NES classic, it's not a cheap cash-in starring Kid Icarus or Captain Olimar. Signals that they're taking mobile seriously.

Can't tell if there are achievements. Very important feature, even if there's no ecosystem to tie them into. Can patch it in later.

Always-online is actually a more valid user complaint in mobile, as weird as that sounds, but I also understand wanting to protect the application. On balance I probably would have allowed offline singleplayer, even if it means xXxgokuxXx hacks in a billion coins on launch day.

$10 is high, which is good and bad. The good is that now is the time to overprice. The power of Nintendo IP is unique. Maybe they can get volume for a $10 autorunner, who knows? They can always come down if it doesn't work out.

The bad is that $10 makes it tough to add microtransactions, which this game ought to have. I don't mean paid powerups or shitty f2p energy, that's not where Nintendo wants to be on mobile. At $5 you could sell $0.99 cosmetics, like Mario costumes and nighttime and bgm, and the sky's the limit. Every six months you put the game on sale for $0.99, and you get huge trial volume, and then all *those* people buy the cosmetics.

So they're leaving money on the table, but obviously it's not about maximizing profit, it's about can we retain the soul of Nintendo on mobile, and the business model is a big part of that. So I respect their decision. But $0.99 bee mario, I mean come on.

maxcriden

Anything of note in that video interview?

Wtf you can run though goombas? Whats the point of even having them there?

I know the purpose of this was clarified above, but I did want to mention that although Mario auto jumps over Goombas and I think some pits, I believe there are some enemies and obstacles he doesn't automatically avoid.

Anything of note in that video interview?
Not much, but still interesting, nonetheless. Short version - Reggie thinks SMR will be a hit. Video highlights:

-20M+ users have pushed the "Notify Me" button on the App Store
-They're working with Apple and DeNA to make sure the servers can handle the load.
-They believe a high percentage of people who download will pay the $10 because of its addicting gameplay

-Addressing the balance between console/mobile/smartphones - success means getting as much exposure to Nintendo IP as possible; if they do that, they win

-Q: Which platform will see the most engagement (with Nintendo IP?) in the future?
-A: It's not about "placing bets" on popularity or focus, it's about penetrating the market and replicating success across all platforms

Other topics:
-RE: Pokemon GO legs and future viability - ongoing improvements + events will re-spark interest
-VR was premature; there's long-term potential, but right now it hasn't delivered

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
$10 is high, which is good and bad. The good is that now is the time to overprice. The power of Nintendo IP is unique. Maybe they can get volume for a $10 autorunner, who knows? They can always come down if it doesn't work out.

The bad is that $10 makes it tough to add microtransactions, which this game ought to have. I don't mean paid powerups or shitty f2p energy, that's not where Nintendo wants to be on mobile. At $5 you could sell $0.99 cosmetics, like Mario costumes and nighttime and bgm, and the sky's the limit. Every six months you put the game on sale for $0.99, and you get huge trial volume, and then all *those* people buy the cosmetics.

So they're leaving money on the table, but obviously it's not about maximizing profit, it's about can we retain the soul of Nintendo on mobile, and the business model is a big part of that. So I respect their decision. But $0.99 bee mario, I mean come on.

I rather prefer that the game doesn't have microtransactions. It shows that they're not trying to nickel and dime me to death, even with frivolous cosmetic items. I pay my $10, I get a game to play, that's it, just how it should be.

aBarreras

As a fan I'm glad they're staying in hardware, but that's just selfishness on my part. As a fan I would love a Switch launch with Metroid, F-Zero and Pikmin, but that would be a bad move for Nintendo.

wanting a company to keep doing the thing you like about them doesnt count as selfishness.

the best course of action is understanding their decisions even if we dont like them that much.

fronn

There can't possibly be that much backlash over something that's free to download. Any disappointment can be shrugged off and people will move on.

Isn't Mario Run going to be $10?

There was backlash with Pokemon Go and that was free - people got really upset over it. Just to clarify, I don't think Nintendo deserves any backlash barring the game just not working at all.

Isn't Mario Run going to be $10?

There was backlash with Pokemon Go and that was free - people got really upset over it. Just to clarify, I don't think Nintendo deserves any backlash barring the game just not working at all.
After a few trial levels, people should recognize that this isn't the same Mario game you can get on consoles/handhelds. Those that went in blindly will be disappointed, but I don't think that disappointment will be enough to temper the hype. That paywall ought to discourage those who still go in thinking this way.

Whatever backlash Pokemon GO received wasn't enough to stop it from being a behemoth culturally and financially. There's a lot keeping SMR from reaching GO's level of success, but backlash will hardly be a part of it.

Top Bottom