• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Nintendo Jumps as Public Gets First Taste of Super Mario Run

Tripon

Nintendo Co. rose to the highest in more than four months after starting to market its upcoming Super Mario Run smartphone game, including giving fans a chance to try out the game in Apple Inc. retail stores ahead of its Dec. 15 release.

The stock climbed 3.7 percent as of midday in Tokyo, the highest since July 19. The shares are about 8 percent below a six-year peak it reached the same month amid a speculative flurry that followed the release of the hit Pokemon Go game.

Mic.com wrote the game seemed fairly easy, saying “Mario veterans will be shocked to find that they can run right through enemy goombas.”

Researcher SensorTower estimated the title will gross $71 million in the first month and be downloaded by more than 50 million users. In September, the researcher said Pokemon Go was downloaded more than 180 million times in the first two months.

In October, Apple’s Tim Cook said more than 20 million people had signed up to be notified once Super Mario Run is available.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...as-public-gets-first-taste-of-super-mario-run

-1x-1.png

Also, Bloomberg did an video interview with Reggie. http://bloom.bg/2gHecuX

Among topics discussed: Super Mario Run, Switch, Nintendo interest in VR

Scrawnton

I really hope the right mobile moves helps push people to the Switch. Things are looking up for Nintendo as of right now.

The footage from the day it was demoed at Jimmy Fallon looked really fun. Kind of excited to play it instead of just being moderately interested

I'm buying it, along with Wild Arms from Sony. They both need to tie back into their respective ecosystems though.

If I could earn trophies and whatever Nintendo comes up with, I would genuinely use my iPhone as another gaming platform. But, it will be one and done probably without that feature. Dunno why it's become important, I'm not really a trophy collector, but I like having all the games I've played in one place for some reason.

I think the game will be surprisingly difficult too.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nothing stops this train.

Interested to see how it performs, i expect big numbers this months.

Imo their biggest "tour de force" is that their brand is slowly rising from irrelevancy (towards mainstream public) and becoming "cool" again.

Zelda, Pokemon Go and then Sun and Moon, the Switch reveal, nes mini (minus the disastrous distribution) and now Mario run are really well handled.

I guess they finally hired new communication strategists.

I really have a nagging feeling that this game will underperform pretty badly. That $10 price tag does seem like it would be a barrier to the majority of smartphone gamers.

It may see a huge amount of downloads, but I'm not sure how many purchases it will get. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Imo their biggest "tour de force" is that their brand is slowly rising from irrelevancy (towards mainstream public) and becoming "cool" again.

Zelda, Pokemon Go and then Sun and Moon, the Switch reveal, nes mini (minus the disastrous distribution) and now Mario run are really well handled.

This is what happens when Bowser is in control!

Doug Bowser that is

Anyone think this'll be bigger than Pokémon GO?
Nope. I can't see it touching Pokémon Go.

Plum

Imo their biggest "tour de force" is that their brand is slowly rising from the irrelevancy (towards mainstream public) and becoming cool again.

Zelda, Pokemon Go and then Sun and Moon, the Switch reveal now Mario run are really well handled.

I think the Wii U being such a failure made them see just how fucked most of their marketing strategy had become. Iwata set this in motion and Kimishima is doing a damn good job at continuing it. I could never see the Nintendo of 2011 making SMR or allowing/helping Pokemon Go.

Interfectum

Not bigger, no. Plus this whole internet connection thing has people spooked now. I'm sure it'll die down a little but some people are seriously pissed off that they might not be able to play this on the subway.

Err... that won't have any noticeable effect on the game's success at release.

Yeah, I noticed that too. After 4 years of irrelevancy there's a lot of buzz around Nintendo. Zelda is the most anticipated game of 2017 and got the most attention at e3.
The Mario Run commercial was super well made.
Pokémon took over the internet for a week.
Switch's reception has been pretty warm too

I don't think it will be. Pokemon GO was a crazy mainstream media storm success. SMR isn't going to top that. It will, however, make Nintendo a shit ton of money.
I feel like that despite Mario being the bigger brand, the concept for SMR isn't quite as "novelty" as GO. The latter definitely "modernized" the traditional Pokémon experience by capitalizing on its strengths using something as commonplace as a smartphone.

This game will get great word of mouth, I'm sure. It's just that the "Mario culture" isn't doing anything radically different than "Pokémon culture"; the online modes in SMR will definitely give it some legs, but there's just something about going outside at 1AM and finding dozens of people doing the exact same thing you're doing. That's something that'll be hard to replicate...

Plum

Yeah, I noticed that too. After 4 years of irrelevancy there's a lot of buzz around Nintendo. Zelda is the most anticipated game of 2017 and got the most attention at e3.

Don't forget Mario at the Olympics and the upcoming sure-fire hit with the theme parks.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Anyone think this'll be bigger than Pokémon GO?

Pokemon Go was free, this isn't, so no.

Don't forget Mario at the Olympics and the upcoming sure-fire hit with the theme parks.

The Classic NES Mini has been a runaway success and amiibos being the hot item more or less all of last year.

fronn

I suspect this game will do very well for Nintendo, and actually affect their bottom line (unlike Pokemon Go)... but I just can't get over the fact that it looks like a boring-in-15-minutes phone game that I've played dozens of times before. Though I did spend an absurd amount of time on Tap Titans a couple years ago unlocking all the extra shit, leveling them, and getting to some unnecessary level, so I can't judge too harshly.

I fear that there will be major backlash because people are expecting this to be some magical new adventure, when it reality it just looks like hundreds of other well done phone games that were free, but just don't star Mario.

I have zero understanding why anyone here is excited for this game, but I'm willing to believe I'm missing something and it's not just the Nintendo Hype Train that happens with everything they do, regardless of merit.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
This will probably have longer legs than Pokémon Go. When's the last time anyone played that game?

I dunno, people still play the thing judging by the partnerships that keep popping up. (Most recent being Starbucks.)

I have zero understanding why anyone here is excited for this game, but I'm willing to believe I'm missing something and it's not just the Nintendo Hype Train that happens with everything they do, regardless of merit.

For me it's because I haven't paid any attention to the App Store's game selection since 2008. The big boys have finally shown up and made a proper game so I'm interested in what they have to offer.

I suspect this game will do very well for Nintendo, and actually affect their bottom line (unlike Pokemon Go)... but I just can't get over the fact that it looks like a boring-in-15-minutes phone game that I've played dozens of times before. Though I did spend an absurd amount of time on Tap Titans a couple years ago unlocking all the extra shit, leveling them, and getting to some unnecessary level, so I can't judge too harshly.

I fear that there will be major backlash because people are expecting this to be some magical new adventure, when it reality it just looks like hundreds of other well done phone games that were free, but just don't star Mario.

There can't possibly be that much backlash over something that's free to download. Any disappointment can be shrugged off and people will move on.

This will probably have longer legs than Pokémon Go. When's the last time anyone played that game?
Pokémon Go is still being played. Now there are new partnerships with Starbucks and Sprint I believe. Also, the rumors with gen 2 Pokémon coming and maybe battling and trading with others will only kickstart it back wayyy up.

ffdgh

Nice I hope they can keep the momentum going. The NEW series has finally found its true purpose in life.
KuGsj.gif

Pretty sure the "New" series selling 30 million copies on the Wii alone was its purpose.

Nah that was more of a jab at hoping we get something different from the NEW series style.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Nice I hope they can keep the momentum going. The NEW series has finally found its true purpose in life.
KuGsj.gif

Pretty sure the "New" series selling 30 million copies on the Wii alone was its purpose.

(Plus 30 million on the DS, 10 million on the 3DS, and 5.5 million on the Wii U)

Top Bottom