• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Nintendo Market Value Passes Sony on Pokemon Go Frenzy

why do you guys think the fad will fade away so quickly? honestly speaking im not expert but 7 generations of pokemons can make it last a while, lay out a good roadmap planning big updates (each big update introducing a generation of pokemon for example, with small QoL or whatever updates in between)

and that twitter video is insane lol

tanooki27

It's crazy how lucky Nintendo has been at "right place, right time" situations given the Wii explosion and (probably to a shorter extent) this blowing up. Good for them, though. Just shows you can't count them out.

yeah those plus the NES when they revived the industry, really lucky, super lucky, boy they must have a lot of four leaf clovers around, those lucky, lucky, lucky people at Nintendo

qcf x2

why do you guys think the fad will fade away so quickly? honestly speaking im not expert but 7 generations of pokemons can make it last a while, lay out a good roadmap planning big updates (each big update introducing a generation of pokemon for example, with small QoL or whatever updates in between)

Because people get bored quickly these days, and there's not much to the game. That's helping it catch on, but it won't keep people around. Or so the thinking goes. There will also probably be other major brands (some even larger, like Disney) that put their own twist on the formula and cut into the userbase. Doubling value based on a f2p app is incredible stuff, but I certainly wouldn't touch their stock right now.

It's troubling that they're discounting all the promised updates and expansions Niantic promised to bring to the game (with a very good record in updating their previous game Ingress often)

It's crazy how lucky Nintendo has been at "right place, right time" situations given the Wii explosion and (probably to a shorter extent) this blowing up. Good for them, though. Just shows you can't count them out.

Yeah, right place right time for over 100 years, lucky buggers

Kyrios

90% of the people I know who are playing this game weren't even interested in Pokemon before this game released. They won't be playing by September at the latest. New generations won't grab the nostalgia to those that are only familiar with the original 151 Pokemon, which seems to be the game's biggest draw for most.

Again, just my experience, could be drastically different for others. I for one will still be playing, but they need to make leveling easier for those at higher levels because the grind will eventually turn people off.

90% of the people I know who are playing this game weren't even interested in Pokemon before this game released. They won't be playing by September at the latest. New generations won't grab the nostalgia to those that are only familiar with the original 151 Pokemon, which seems to be the game's biggest draw for most.

Again, just my experience, could be drastically different for others. I for one will still be playing, but they need to make leveling easier for those at higher levels because the grind will eventually turn people off.

Nostalgia will spare Gen II at the very least. The last gen before we went into the 21st Century.

Because people get bored quickly these days, and there's not much to the game. That's helping it catch on, but it won't keep people around. Or so the thinking goes. There will also probably be other major brands (some even larger, like Disney) that put their own twist on the formula and cut into the userbase. Doubling value based on a f2p app is incredible stuff, but I certainly wouldn't touch their stock right now.

are you guys assuming they wont update the game or improve it? personally i didnt bother past creating an account when i saw the whole thing was just to catch pokemons (had flashbacks of runescape when they neutered the wildy and pvp in general)

im posting in the assumption they have a plan and will capitalize on the success they have now, making the availability in more countries faster, better servers, finally adding pvp in real time, adding other generations of pokemons, etc

of course the competition is going to try to ride the fad wave this game created and use their own IPs but how long will that take?

NOW the stocks are cooling down, probably in light of the app still not being available in Japan yet despite reports. Back to original bloomberg chart.

Kyrios

are you guys assuming they wont update the game or improve it? personally i didnt bother past creating an account when i saw the whole thing was just to catch pokemons (had flashbacks of runescape when they neutered the wildy and pvp in general)

im posting in the assumption they have a plan and will capitalize on the success they have now, making the availability in more countries faster, better servers, finally adding pvp in real time, adding other generations of pokemons, etc

of course the competition is going to try to ride the fad wave this game created and use their own IPs but how long will that take?

Oh no, I think the game has potential to be fantastic for us core Pokemon fans and like you said, features like PvP and other generations will be amazing additions. I just don't believe that most casual players will care when the time comes, just us core Pokemon fans.

I'm fully aware I could be totally wrong though as anything is possible.

Salty Hippo

Not a fair comparison because MS is more diverse but...

Last 5 years.
msft

$423 Billion Market Value as of today.

More diverse than Nintendo, sure... but Sony?

elohel

I think pachter may be right guys

heat+constant draining is gonna kill everyone's batteries

game consoles are conditioned for this usage not smart phones

Conversely if they don't update or support the app correctly it could be a bubble or if Nintendo can't follow through linking this to their new experience or business....possible but purely speculation

The battery thing is real IMO always see people plugged in lol draining and re charging and I'm betting their phone is getting hot too so yeah :/

Conversely if they don't update or support the app correctly it could be a bubble or if Nintendo can't follow through linking this to their new experience or business....possible but purely speculation

The battery thing is real IMO always see people plugged in lol draining and re charging and I'm betting their phone is getting hot too so yeah :/

Wouldn't that be good news in the winter when you have a ready heatsource :\

I've already noticed a steep decline in my battery. I love the game but it's a little concerning.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I despise microtransactions and nickel and diming tactics but I am really glad how this worked out for Nintendo. They went through some dark times recently, it's nice to see them coming out of it.

Vena

I still have no idea what's profit taking.
And isn't it launching today in Japan? Wonder how much will it affect stocks.

Sell on a high-% gain from a purchase when stock seems to have stabilized or risen "high enough". You take your profit from the stock and, probably, move it elsewhere.

People cashing out while the stock is high... In other words, short term investors who were looking for a quick buck and jumping on the hot market trends.

lt519

A shit ton of people decided that a 100% gain was good enough and they'd rather not risk more so they all started selling which drove the price down. It's likely that the Japan release is already reflected in the stock price. The stock added tens of billions to the value of Nintendo. The game won't make a billion worldwide in a year (of which Nintendo will see less than 33% of), meaning that the stock rise was on the valuation of the company as a whole now that it has made its presence felt in the mobile market. Unless Japan goes even more bananas for it than the US it'll probably see some 5% rises and drops as it finally settles on a value where the investors think it is worth based on their future potential. Japan could move it higher, but the big gains have already been seen and it's likely to plateau a little over/under where it is right now until they report earnings and/or announce the NX or more mobile games.

D.Lo

The game won't make a billion worldwide in a year (of which Nintendo will see less than 33% of)
How many times has this been gone over? Nintendo gets far more than 33% of Pokemon profits and are by far the dominant partner in the ownership.

See this thread: In essence, the Pokemon franchise is owned by three separate entities: Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures Inc (which Nintendo owns a part of); however, Nintendo, in addition to having partial ownership, are trademark owners of the Pokemon logo, and Pokémon character names.

On top of this, Nintendo took a stake in Niantic, so they get some of that share too, whatever it is. No way of knowing for sure, but I'd be guessing practically Nintendo will be getting >70% of the profits from Go. They get their trademark licensing fees, their stake in the Pokemon Company's share, their cut in Creatures stake in TPC's share, and their cut of Niantic's share.

casiopao

How many times has this been gone over? Nintendo gets far more than 33% of Pokemon profits and are by far the dominant partner in the ownership.

See this thread: In essence, the Pokemon franchise is owned by three separate entities: Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures Inc (which Nintendo owns a part of); however, Nintendo, in addition to having partial ownership, are trademark owners of the Pokemon logo, and Pokémon character names.

On top of this, Nintendo took a stake in Niantic, so they get some of that share too, whatever it is. No way of knowing for sure, but I'd be guessing practically Nintendo will be getting >70% of the profits from Go. They get their trademark licensing fees, their stake in the Pokemon Company's share, their cut in Creatures stake in TPC's share, and their cut of Niantic's share.

It is useless replying there. I have been keep trying to explaining on how Nintendo seems to be the one getting the biggest pie here but more people seems to love dooming Nintendo more there.

See this thread: In essence, the Pokemon franchise is owned by three separate entities: Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures Iinc (which Nintendo owns a part of); however, Nintendo, in addition to having partial ownership, are trademark owners of the Pokemon logo, and Pokémon character names.

But that profit earned through all those partly owned entities is reported completely differently. It's nice when a company Nintendo owns makes money, but it doesn't appear on their balance sheet in the same way them selling 10 million copies of pokemon on 3ds does. Those companies have their own reporting and don't just automatically send a check to Nintendo every quarter depending on how well they did. So no, there is no way Nintendo itself is getting anything more than 20%, when accounting for Googles cut too. This is from someone who uses this exact argument everytime somone argues they should go all in on mobile, especially for a company their size.

Share ownership =//= Profit ownership.

And no they won't be getting anywhere near 70% of the profit since the Google/Apple cut alone is 30%.

I thought we already established the most they would be getting out the revenue could be around 31% after the 30% cut from platform holders.

Cheerilee

yeah those plus the NES when they revived the industry, really lucky, super lucky, boy they must have a lot of four leaf clovers around, those lucky, lucky, lucky people at Nintendo

There's no denying that Nintendo has been in the right place at the right time, more than a couple of times, and that not all of it comes down to expert planning. Even in the example you just mentioned.

The NES/Famicom was built to cash in on the boom that Atari created. In 1983, Nintendo was literally in negotiations with Atari to hand the Famicom over to them and let Atari release the Nintendo Atari Entertainment System in America. And then the great Atari crash of 1983 happened. That has to be some of the worst timing in the history of videogames. And it was too late to pull out. Nintendo was already committed. They had to release the NES into the smoking ruins of Atari's wake, they had to fight the uphill battle of convincing retailers that the NES wasn't going to bomb, and once they did that they found themselves alone in the clear blue sea with 99% marketshare, something that should've been nearly impossible had Atari not imploded and taken everyone else down with them.

The Roman philosopher Seneca said that luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. Nintendo has certain skills. When they're in the right place at the right time, they can succeed in ways that others seemingly can't. But Nintendo has been known to falter when no opportunities present themselves.

Thomas Edison said that genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration. That doesn't quite describe Nintendo, IMO. It more describes Nintendo's competition.

lt519

I thought we already established the most they would be getting out the revenue could be around 31% after the 30% cut from platform holders.

Yeah, I got carried away with someone nitpicking. Sun/Moon will pull in 3-4x more revenue than PokemonGO will. And I love PokemonGO, its the best thing since sliced bread.

Peterthumpa

Yeah, I got carried away with someone nitpicking. Sun/Moon will pull in 3-4x more revenue than PokemonGO will. And I love PokemonGO, its the best thing since sliced bread.

Elaborate. Just remember that GO made $35 million in basically 2 weeks.

NolbertoS

As much as I love Pokemon Sun/Moon, don't think it'll generate that much money. You can't correlate mobile gamers with portable gamers. They are two different market segments. It might generate more sales for the game but more people own smartphones than 3DS's

Top Bottom