• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Nintendo says Smash Wii U has more pre-orders than MK8.

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-11/nintendo-says-super-smash-bros-orders-set-wii-u-record.html

Advance orders for Super Smash Bros., being released by Nintendo Co. (7974) this month, are at a record and may lift sales of the struggling Wii U console during the holidays, Americas President Reggie Fils-Aime said.

Presales of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, which reaches stores on Nov. 21, have surpassed Mario Kart 8
, Fils-Aime, president and chief operating officer of Nintendo of America, said today in an interview at the New York headquarters of Bloomberg News.

“The launch of Mario Kart 8 has essentially doubled our Wii U sales year-on-year,” Fils-Aime said. “Presales for Smash are stronger than the presales for Kart. So our expectation is that the sell-through for Smash is going to be very strong, certainly on par with what we saw with Mario Kart 8. We think the impact on hardware will be similarly dramatic.”

Nintendo has sold more than 1.2 million copies of Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U since its release earlier this year, Fils-Aime said.

The hype is real.

Amir0x

Banned
more false hope for the Wii U hardliners, but I hope it does... i dunno, make the system do OK because it's a good console now

FZZ

Banned
Would've been even higher if they had Ridley as a playable character tbh

Still salty D:

Dimmle

Expect these sales to drop when everyone's friends "don't get it" and "would rather play the racing one with Yoshi."

Tripon

more false hope for the Wii U hardliners, but I hope it does... i dunno, make the system do OK because it's a good console now

It did 750K in Nov. and Dec. based on 3D World, and the holidays in 2013.

A 3D World bundle, MK8, and Smash should at least do 1.5 million during Nov. and December, I think.

You know what the weird thing though? Nintendo just did a holiday commercial focusing on Mario Kart 8, and then shown the 3D World bundle without showing MK8 somewhere in the shot. If Nintendo wanted to move Wii U units, they should have gone with a Mario Kart 8 bundle.

Sigh.

Ah well.

Amir0x

Banned
It did 750K in Nov. and Dec. based on 3D World, and holiday.

A 3D World bundle, MK8, and Smash should at least do 1.5 million during Nov. and December, I think.

You know what the weird thing though? Nintendo just did a holiday commercial focusing on Mario Kart 8, and then shown the 3D World bundle without showing MK8 somewhere in the shot. If Nintendo wanted to move Wii U units, they should have gone with a Mario Kart 8 bundle.

Sigh.

Ah well.

yes, it will do slightly less shitty than before, no doubt. Just still extremely shitty :p

I just feel like it's a required warning in these types of topics because people are really obsessed with the idea of Wii U turning its sales disaster around, but it's not happening. But there's still tons of awesome games we're getting from Nintendo, so at least that's cool..

Stulaw

Did "goat" stop meaning what I thought it meant?

NeoGAF use it for everything, even if it's for Actor of all time or Film of all time, it's still a GOAT, dunno why, seems stupid.

Anyway, good to see that it has loads of pre-orders, it's close to Christmas unlike MK8's release so maybe that's a factor as well.

Mory Dunz

It did 750K in Nov. and Dec. based on 3D World, and holiday.

Sigh.

Ah well.

Hmmm, 2x over last year? Dunno. Maybe if it was a Smash bundle.

Mory Dunz

yes, it will do slightly less shitty than before, no doubt. Just still extremely shitty :p

I just feel like it's a required warning in these types of topics because people are really obsessed with the idea of Wii U turning its sales disaster around, but it's not happening. But there's still tons of awesome games we're getting from Nintendo, so at least that's cool..

To be fair, no one's done it in this thread. You just kind of brought it up.

It probably will happen though if the usual suspects come (I don't know who the usual suspects are heh), but it hasn't happened yet.

Tripon

I just feel like it's a required warning in these types of topics because people are really obsessed with the idea of Wii U turning its sales disaster around, but it's not happening. So everyone should just enjoy the great games we're going to get from Nintendo really :D

Well, yeah. The ship has long sailed on Nintendo initial plans for the Wii U, whatever it may be. Stuff like Amiibo, NFC, etc should have been implemented the first year and probably at launch. Best plan now is to maintain an active core base of fans so that next launch of a platform, they buy in at a faster rate than they did this generation.

It is what it is.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

What's a Wii U hard liner, though? Someone that hopes that Nintendo becomes profitable enough to keep supporting the console for a couple of more years?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This game should have been out at launch. I know about dev times and Sakurai, but Nintendo should have had the foresight to have this game in production earlier so it could be at launch.

Mory Dunz

What's a Wii hard liner, though? Someone that hopes that Ninento becomes profitable enough to keep supporting the console for a couple of more years?

Probably the people holding out hope it can "beat" the X1. "Turn it around" and stuff.
Hasn't happened in this thread though.

Nairume

Banned
Mario Kart has historically been a bigger franchise than Smash Bros. We still have to see how they both perform on the long run, though.

I imagine Mario Kart being the bigger franchise is helping in the sense that it has been significantly growing the user base for Smash to use to its advantage.

Top Bottom