• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Nintendo says Smash Wii U has more pre-orders than MK8.

Tripon

Hmmm, 2x over last year? Dunno. Maybe if it was a Smash bundle.

Yeah, who knows. I could spend some time researching on how well healthy and unhealthy consoles do in their 3rd holiday season, or I could just pick a random number.

I picked a random number.

Amir0x

Banned
To be fair, no one's done it in this thread. You just kind of brought it up.

It probably will happen though if the usual suspects come (I don't know who the usual suspects are heh), but it hasn't happened yet.

Of course, I posted pretty early in the topic on purpose. I love the Wii U, but at this point these articles saying "it'll help the struggling Wii U" are just really misleading in context. But... I guess anything can technically help the Wii U. They can't possibly do much worse, can they?

Wait, yes they can. It's called Vita lol

What's a Wii hard liner, though? Someone that hopes that Ninento becomes profitable enough to keep supporting the console for a couple of more years?

Just someone who believes there's still a chance to turn things around sales-wise. Well meaning folk who just love Nintendo too much to see the forest for the trees.

javac

MK8 had a deal where you got a free game too, so that's pretty awesome to hear. Don't like Smash myself but more sales is good news for me :D

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I just want the WiiU to get some credit as a damn decent machine.. and for Nintendo profit. Really. I can't imagine a gaming world without Nintendo consoles and games, its probably the only company that I want to do great. *shrugs*

Amir0x

Banned
I just want the WiiU to get some credit as a damn decent machine.. and for Nintendo profit. Really. I can't imagine a gaming world without Nintendo consoles and games, its probably the only company that I want to do great. *shrugs*

didn't Nintendo just release earnings which said they have profited again?

Mory Dunz

Of course, I posted pretty early in the topic on purpose. I love the Wii U, but at this point these articles saying "it'll help the struggling Wii U" are just really misleading in context. But... I guess anything can technically help the Wii U. They can't possibly do much worse, can they?

Just someone who believes there's still a chance to turn things around sales-wise. Well meaning folk who just love Nintendo too much to see the forest for the trees.

Oh, Ha. Didn't even read the article. Yeah, technically it'll "help". Heh.

Yeah, it was a preemptive post. Ok, I get that.

Side note: What is the Vita's situation? We know NPD and Japan. In UK, one of Wii U's worst places, its software sales are way below Wii U, which is a clue I suppose. But the quarterly shipments/sales are way higher than the Wii Us (unless the PSP is still doing numbers). It just seemed weird to me, unless ROTW is comparitively destroying...

It did 750K in Nov. and Dec. based on 3D World, and the holidays in 2013.

A 3D World bundle, MK8, and Smash should at least do 1.5 million during Nov. and December, I think.

You know what the weird thing though? Nintendo just did a holiday commercial focusing on Mario Kart 8, and then shown the 3D World bundle without showing MK8 somewhere in the shot. If Nintendo wanted to move Wii U units, they should have gone with a Mario Kart 8 bundle.

Sigh.

Ah well.

2x last year?

not seeing it, it barely managed this with Mario Kart 8 over the dead summer months of 2013 (by which I mean May-September)

At this point, turning the Wii U around seems irrelevant, anyway. Nintendo isn't Sony, and it has pretty clearly communicated that it's committed to supporting its failing console through at least next year. There's like twelve first party games for next year. If someone's a Wii U hardliner or whatever, that should be fine because they presumably like Nintendo's games. Third party games aren't coming back unless they're based on Lego or downloadable, so give up on that dream.

kirby_fox

Banned
I'm not optimistic here.

Mario Kart wasn't a game you would expect a store to be out of, so I didn't bother preordering it and just randomly decided to pick it up a couple days after it launched.

Smash on the other hand had a bundle. I expected that bundle to be out of stock real easy and impossible to find on launch day, so I preordered it because I wanted a new Gamecube controller. I have a feeling since there was a thread about it being sold out around these parts, a lot of other people did the same thing.

I love my Wii U and all, but even if it started selling like hot cakes I don't think you'd get 3rd parties back at this point.

Amir0x

Banned
At this point, turning the Wii U around seems irrelevant, anyway. Nintendo isn't Sony, and it has pretty clearly communicated that it's committed to supporting its failing console through at least next year. There's like twelve first party games for next year. If someone's a Wii U hardliner or whatever, that should be fine because they presumably like Nintendo's games. Third party games aren't coming back unless they're based on Lego or downloadable, so give up on that dream.

I totally 100% agree. Wii U is a rad Nintendo game system. I'm quite happy at this point, next year's title will be icing. Really excited for Splatoon and Xenoblade.

Nairume

Banned
Smash sold 50% more in the US. Ie. One million units more.
Going by worldwide sales, they are still both around 7 million (Melee being a tad bit over and DD being a tad bit under).

edit:
Wait, lol, scratch that. Polygon was using bum data to get their figure for Double Dash's sales.

Anth0ny

Not surprised at all. Like Melee on the Gamecube, Smash will be bigger than Kart on the Wii U. That's the audience this console is attracting.

Nintendo has also been pushing Smash WAY harder than Kart. Invitational tournaments, daily pics, Smash Bros Directs, Amiibos... the list goes on.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I totally 100% agree. Wii U is a rad Nintendo game system. I'm quite happy at this point, next year's title will be icing. Really excited for Splatoon and Xenoblade.

And Zelda & Star Fox
and FE X SMT ;)

One can dream

That's nice.

Makes sense given the loss of the casual market, as the GameCube sales seeming to point toward Smash being the more popular of the two amongst the Nintendo hardliners.

MK's also probably expanded the user base since its release too though, which of course has a knock on affect, and obviously the proximity to Christmas can't be dismissed. It'll be interesting to see where they both end up sales wise next year certainly.

I also fully expect this year to be the Wii U's high water market sales wise, so hopefully this translates to a decent hardware bump too.

JDSN

Banned
man Zelda ain't making out in 2015, i don't believe

but god I hope so. I hope so SO BAD

Well, most of NIntendo's team have completed moving to their new offices so all things should release on schedule, plus they can tell some folks from Retro to stop working on Wii Fit U2 for a while, tie them to a radiator and force them to make assets.

vinnygambini

They should be able to make that date as per their IR report, but last year they mentioned Xenoblade X was a 2014 title ;.;

They must have a holiday game, and Zelda fits that bill.

AdanVC

This are excellent news! This means more people online and more people who have the chance to play Bayonetta 2!

I'm not optimistic here.

Mario Kart wasn't a game you would expect a store to be out of, so I didn't bother preordering it and just randomly decided to pick it up a couple days after it launched.

Smash on the other hand had a bundle. I expected that bundle to be out of stock real easy and impossible to find on launch day, so I preordered it because I wanted a new Gamecube controller. I have a feeling since there was a thread about it being sold out around these parts, a lot of other people did the same thing.

I love my Wii U and all, but even if it started selling like hot cakes I don't think you'd get 3rd parties back at this point.

But hardware will sell and we will continue having top quality 1st party titles so it's all good. We know 3rd parties are not coming back to the console so the less we can do now is enjoy the 1st party stuff wich is really good.

I think it will make it into 2015 skyward sword came out in 2011 by the the time they release this in november 2015 it will have been 4 years which is enough time to make a zelda game.

random25

Mario Kart has historically been a bigger franchise than Smash Bros. We still have to see how they both perform on the long run, though.

While that's undisputed since MK sells like a necessity (lol), from what I knew Smash since Melee has always enjoyed much better launch sales than Mario Kart franchise. So in a way it's not really that surprising to see a bigger pre-sales for Smash than MK.

Plasmid

Got Smash 3ds, Wii u GC / Adapter bundle and probably gonna buy 4-5 amiibos over the next 3-4 months.

The smash hype is very very real.

ChaosXVI

Not really all that surprised, but still good to see Nintendo at least having a shot at an acceptable/decent holiday season.

I seriously hope the Wii U gains some momentum to at least put it in the same ballpark as PS4 and Xbox One, albeit still in 3rd place.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
This game should have been out at launch. I know about dev times and Sakurai, but Nintendo should have had the foresight to have this game in production earlier so it could be at launch.

If you know about dev time, also ignoring that sakurai was knee deep in kid icarus, and htat they just cant start development on a game in a day just because they want it out early(theres pre-development where they have to work out ideas and sketches and such before they can even get down to the programming) then why are you still saying this.

Amir0x

Banned
I think it will make it into 2015 skyward sword came out in 2011 by the the time they release this in november 2015 it will have been 4 years which is enough time to make a zelda game.

Next-gen development takes longer. HD assets take more time. And Nintendo was having trouble with next-gen development early in Wii U lifespan they admitted.

They should be able to make that date as per their IR report, but last year they mentioned Xenoblade X was a 2014 title ;.;

They must have a holiday game, and Zelda fits that bill.

Xenoblade X could be a holiday game in NA/EUR. And they still have a shitload of other Nintendo games next year they could spread out. Doesn't have to be Zelda.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
1 - A decent amount of gamers purchased Wii U during / after Mario Kart 8 released.

2 - Smash Bros. is releasing during Holiday season.,

Mario Kart has outsold Smash Bros. quite easily every generation. It be hard to see otherwise.

Jamix012

Mario Kart has historically been a bigger franchise than Smash Bros. We still have to see how they both perform on the long run, though.

Mario Kart was bigger on the Wii, smaller on the 'Cube and bigger than the N64 Smash (which, tbf, was the first in the series and had less brand recognition.) I think with a lot of the Wii crowd gone, it was going to be close between the two (If it hadn't been for the 3DS version, I reckon Smash would've easily been bigger.)

mario kart is the better game.

Nah.

vinnygambini

Xenoblade X could be a holiday game in NA/EUR. And they still have a shitload of other Nintendo games next year they could spread out. Doesn't have to be Zelda.

Nintendo always release their multi-million seller properties in Q3 - Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, and Animal Crossing - fit that bill.

One will most likely see Xenoblade X as a October 2015 game, then Zelda Wii U in late Nov (before Black Firday).

I hope for Nintendo's sake this is what is planned

atbigelow

I want details on the preloading system that they announced with go live with Smash Bros. That's one of the biggest things eShop has been lacking.

Nintendo always release their multi-million seller properties in Q3 - Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, and Animal Crossing - fit that bill.

One will most likely see Xenoblade X as a October 2015 game, then Zelda Wii U in late Nov (before Black Firday).

I hope for Nintendo's sake this is what is planned

Not sure I could handle Xenoblade X in Oct and Zelda in Nov, but I'd sure like to find out :)

NewGame

Banned
Can we smash that chalk board now?

pumpgirl.gif

Kimawolf

Good for Smash. I see it doing well and glad for Nintendo.

I think X will be their May game and Zelda the big fall release.

Top Bottom