• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Nintendo says Smash Wii U has more pre-orders than MK8.

EDIT: didn't realize how long the thread was when i quoted something from page 1. oh well. no point deleting the post.

Unsurprising, really.

Why? double dash and melee sold about the same, while the other two smash games lost by a fair margin to their MK counterparts.

i don't believe smash 3ds shows any signs of catching up to mk7 either.

Choomp

Banned
I would bet also on this. Seeing how Nintendo had already Splatoon at and after E3 in the lights together with SSB at most of the expos they participated this year and how it will most probably be released in May, like MK8, my bet that Splatoon will get their big marketing push for the first half of next year. The very positive reaction about the game will also solidify this. I also think that Splatoon has maybe also the biggest chance of attracting new Wii U owners (except maybe for Zelda) next year, as it addresses quite a different than usual zone.

I'm really skeptical about how this will turn out for them. I'm sure they'll give it a big marketing push, but I don't know how this game is going to be received by the demographic, I'm very excited for the game like a bunch of people on here appear to be, but I don't know how well Nintendo can sell this as a console sale driving title. I don't know if they should be relying on it.

Vertti

I have to ask, what exactly is going to drive these sales over the next 3 years? I'm honestly curious about how you figure this increase in sales is going to happen.

Wii U has sold 3,6m/a year which means about 18m sold consoles in 5 years. There are still some big guns coming out like Zelda, SSB4, almost certainly a new Mario platformer etc etc. I can see it keep selling about the same figures which will be about 20m consoles.

Wii U has sold 3,6m/a year which means about 18m sold consoles in 5 years. There are still some big guns coming out like Zelda, SSB4, almost certainly a new Mario platformer etc etc. I can see it keep selling about the same figures which will be about 20m consoles.

You know what, fuck it, you're blind optimism is brilliant and I want you to be right so much I'm not even going to argue.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
This is what happens when NPD doesn't release numbers offically.

LOL noticed it right now.
But they used the site for HW numbers, not for the Smash pre-orders, that is said are taken from an interview Reggie had with Bloombergs themselves.

Vertti

You know what, fuck it, you're blind optimism is brilliant and I want you to be right so much I'm not even going to argue.

Being a Finn we mostly are very pessimistic people so I try be an over optimist at times. ;)

3 years... 13m consoles. Maybe it's bit too much to ask but I'm sure they will get over 16m at least.

Being a Finn we mostly are very pessimistic people so I try be an over optimist at times. ;)

3 years... 13m consoles. Maybe it's bit too much to ask but I'm sure they will get over 16m at least.

As a fan of Tove Jansson I am aware of the fact that finding an optimistic Finn is like stumbling across a Unicorn, so good on you sir! Let's hope you're right!

Great, more people are lining up for
low-grade crap pretending to be a Nintendo star-studded event.

This does make sense to me, though. Smash is more of a core game, and the fans are more likely to want this on day one. Kart is a mainstream franchise that sells consistently across the entire lifespan of whatever system it appears on.

Not surprised that pre-orders are super high. A smash bros. release has become a pretty big event in gaming. I do hope that it injects some real life into the Wii U this holiday season. The console is legit, and needs more love from the public. I don't think any system has ever had such an excellent line-up of local multi-player games. Certainly not since N64, and I'd say there's a strong argument that Wii U has already surpassed that.

Mory Dunz

Great, more people are lining up for
low-grade crap pretending to be a Nintendo star-studded event.

This does make sense to me, though. Smash is more of a core game, and the fans are more likely to want this on day one. Kart is a mainstream franchise that sells consistently across the entire lifespan of whatever system it appears on.
Actually, both sell across the lifespan...

Ambient80

Mario Kart has historically been a bigger franchise than Smash Bros. We still have to see how they both perform on the long run, though.

True, there are probably more Wii U owners now than when MK8 came out (mostly due to MK8 itself!), so more people will preorder games for it. Long term results will show how this actually plays out.

Amir0x

Banned
Did... did Bloomberg just take their numbers from THAT website? Are you serious?

The habit of taking numbers from that site in major outlets has become an increasingly severe problem over the past year and a half. It's very troublesome, and once again shows just how little effort reporters sometimes put into their research.

Preorders have eclipsed MK8 preorders or preorders have eclipsed MK8 total sales to date? There's a good bit of difference and the wording here seems ambiguous

Wavebossa

they are correct tho, seriously it's War

Smash is life, Smash is love

9d6.jpg

OT:

This is great news. However I don't think the hype of Smash U is anywhere near the hype of Brawl (srsly, remember the brawl hype omg....) and I don't think that it will sell as well lifetime.

zsidane

The habit of taking numbers from that site in major outlets has become an increasingly severe problem over the past year and a half. It's very troublesome, and once again shows just how little effort reporters sometimes put into their research.
I did send an email to the reporter, and he replied saying that manufacturers and the like of npd don't give away the numbers, but he keeps trying to get as accurate data as possible (he did seem to imply that he knows that VGCZ.COM isn't the most reliable source but he like had no choice...)

Amir0x

Banned
I did send an email to the reporter, and he replied saying that manufacturers and the like of npd don't give away the numbers, but he keeps trying to get as accurate data as possible (he did seem to imply that he knows that VGCZ.COM isn't the most reliable source but he like had no choice...)

that is one shit reporter then. What type of reporter goes "I can't get better sources so I guess I'll just use the one which is in no remote way accurate for shits and giggles!"

I guess he earned his degree :p

Top Bottom