• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Nintendo says Smash Wii U has more pre-orders than MK8.

ffdgh

That's good to hear. The holidays will definetly be good for nintendo especially if amiibo by some insane luck, are a hit.

Astral Dog

I'm skeptical about WiiU hardware sales doing much after Smash

Of course,thats obvious, after Smash the Wii U is going to sleep again, maybe until Zelda,
lets hope the console sells a little better for Nintendo, and their costumers, as its an underrated system with good games.

Amir0x

Banned
And you're one of those people who are obsessed with the idea that the Wii U is ALREADY dead in spite of the fact that this era of new generation of consoles has just started. It's a marathon, not a sprint. The Wii U just happened to have a one year head start (or false start, if you may) but this race will take years to complete.

No dude, don't. Don't do this. You owe it to yourself. There is virtually a zero percent chance that the Wii U can turn it around. Literally its trajectory suggests a system that will actually fall far short of GCN's numbers, which even Iwata said would be a failure. There is no precedent - I repeat, zero precedent - for a system turning around in the type of state Wii U is in. Couple that with a complete abandonment by third parties, and it's hard to even imagine there will be much to it by 2016.

But does that change how good the system is being right now? Naw. It's good.

Who

Banned
Isnt Brawl the highest selling fighting game of all time? Hopefully 4 puts up something close to it.

And you're one of those people who are obsessed with the idea that the Wii U is ALREADY dead in spite of the fact that this era of new generation of consoles has just started. It's a marathon, not a sprint. The Wii U just happened to have a one year head start (or false start, if you may) but this race will take years to complete.

The Wii U is at least halfway through its lifespan. Very few people are expecting support beyond 2016. Realistically Mario Kart and Smash are the heaviest hitters this console will ever have.

Basically, best case scenario is Gamecube level sales. Do you see things playing out differently?

Mario kart 8 had the wiiu console in top 50 on amazon For a while if I remember correctly. Pretty sure Mario kart 8 is way better system seller.

Amir0x

Banned
The Wii U is at least halfway through its lifespan. Very few people are expecting support beyond 2016. Realistically Mario Kart and Smash are the heaviest hitters this console will ever have.

Basically, best case scenario is Gamecube level sales. Do you see things playing out differently?

To put it in stark terms, it would be miraculous if it even hit GCN numbers now.

schaft0620

There are so many arguments to be had here. What are Wii U people supposed to buy this year? Don't pre-order number increase once we hit the year of when the game is released? Does MK8 have more than the the content of Deadly Alliance and the graphics better than most current gen?

Yes, because the Wii U is not a dead end architecture. Nintendo will use it for their next handheld much like how they used the Gamecube's innards for the Wii 5 years later and then for the 3DS 10 years later. As such, Nintendo will keep on making Wii U games way beyond 2016 since all these games will run on their next handheld as eshop downloads.

That's my take on it.

Exile20

What is your point exactly?

The GC did make a profit for Nintendo and they were in the black last financial.

The console has great games and even if the support ends in 2016, so what? We move on, can't we enjoy it up until 2016.

You parading around stating the Wii U is doom is useless. Yes we are know the PS4 is selling by the bucket load and the X1 is selling well too and the Wii U is doom. Heard it this whole generation.

jorgejjvr

We got Zelda, star fox, and X next year, the best is yet to come

Mory Dunz

...Welp, it happened. Amir0x was right.

We got Zelda, star fox, and X next year, the best is yet to come

Eh, the best year was this year. The best came.

Only took it 2-3 years innit?

it's been almost exactly 2 years right. Dunno why you included a range....

What is your point exactly?

The GC did make a profit for Nintendo and they were in the black last financial.

The console has great games and even if the support ends in 2016, so what? We move on, can't we enjoy it up until 2016.

You parading around stating the Wii U is doom is useless. Yes we are know the PS4 is selling by the bucket load and the X1 is selling well too and the Wii U is doom. Heard it this whole generation.

I just don't think it's realistic to say "the race has just begun" when the Wii U is probably halfway through its life. Some people are holding out hope that the system is going to turn into a big sales success, but I'm just cautioning that it's unlikely to happen.

I never said anything about the system being "doomed". It can turn a tidy profit for Nintendo, already has a solid lineup for 2015, and will be remembered as a console with many great games.

I was trying to gain insight into the thoughts of the person I quoted. Now he has responded with the idea that Nintendos push towards unified architechture moving forward will ensure the Wii U is supported for some time to come, which is indeed an intriguing idea.

Amir0x

Banned
...Welp, it happened. Amir0x was right.

we can chalk this up to self-fulfilling prophecy 'cause I mentioned it. Next time I won't mention it and count the posts til it happens. I love the my Wii U, just the starry eyed dreams about it drag everything down 'cause it's such an impractical dream at this point :(

weekev

Banned
I just don't think it's realistic to say "the race has just begun" when the Wii U is probably halfway through its life. Some people are holding out hope that the system is going to turn into a big sales success, but I'm just cautioning that it's unlikely to happen.

I never said anything about the system being "doomed". It can turn a tidy profit for Nintendo, already has a solid lineup for 2015, and will be remembered as a console with many great games.

I was trying to gain insight into the thoughts of the person I quoted. Now he has responded with the idea that Nintendos push towards unified architechture moving forward will ensure the Wii U is supported for some time to come, which is indeed an intriguing idea.
Why do people think its halfway through its life? Im expecting a 6 year cycle this gen meaning we will probably see wiius successor announced in 2017 to come out 2018, expect way more first party titles until then and if the current trend of 3rd parties overhyping and nickel and diming whilst Nintendo creates quality continues, word could get out and Nintendo could still do Gamecube numbers.

On topic, good to see Smash looking like it will do good numbers, looking forward to the crazy online tournaments.

Jobbs

Banned
nice. I plan to check this out. Last Smash I played much was the one on Gamecube. I never liked Wii and skipped the entire console. Look forward to getting back into Smash.

Exile20

I doubt anyone actually believes it will outsell the other two. If anyone comes off that way it is more of a positivity thing.

Honestly the best we can hope for is a first party games, lively online community and that Nintendo doesn't go out of business.

Amir0x

Banned
Three games? OH BOY! What pray tell do you think those games will do for the Wii U's sales?

There's also Splatoon, Project Giant Robot, Project Guard, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Mario Maker, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Yoshi's Woolly World, Mario Party 10.

They got some shit coming. Won't change the sales trajectory, but if you like good games, it's a promising future.

Chaos17

This game should have been out at launch. I know about dev times and Sakurai, but Nintendo should have had the foresight to have this game in production earlier so it could be at launch.

Nintendo doesn't want tot do shitty game like the new AC.

There's also Splatoon, Project Giant Robot, Project Guard, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Mario Maker, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Yoshi's Woolly World, Mario Party 10.

They got some shit coming. Won't change the sales trajectory, but if you like good games, it's a promising future.
SMTxFE, while something I want is not going to be setting the world on fire. Nor is Yoshi. Nor is Mario Party 10, Mario v. DK, Mario Maker or Splatoon. The "best is yet to come" is nice from a gaming perspective but it has little relevance to the sales of a system that is destined to be a failure.
You're going overboard. Maybe he was mentioning the games he wanted most...and not a comprehensive list of 2015.

But whatever.
He actually named the three biggest hitters next year. Xenoblade, Zelda and Star Fox. Three heavy hitters is not enough to do anything for the future of the console.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

Kirby Amir0x you forgot KIRBY! Dat little pink ball of happiness!

AniHawk

2015 really looks to be the wii u's best year by a good clip. especially if both xcx and zelda make it (and i don't see any reason why they could not). but even without those, the year looks to be pretty full of good stuff. kirby looks rad and plays great. there's potential in mario maker - especially since i don't think nintendo would just put out a level generator, meaning we'll probably get original smb1-style levels. i have zero faith in project guard and project robot but maybe the latter will be scored by the beastie boys. best of all, indie games will finally start arriving. all those kickstarters from 2-3 years ago are about to pay off. like, it's not the flurry that the dreamcast experienced in 2000 (which i only caught the tail end of), but it's definitely a lot of stuff to look forward to.

and 2016 will be back to 2013 drought levels. this will probably be offset by new handheld hardware. i would also expect a new nintendo console around this time too, although it seems increasingly unlikely. it may be that the wii u somehow only gets replaced in 2017.

AniHawk

He actually named the three biggest hitters next year. Xenoblade, Zelda and Star Fox. Three heavy hitters is not enough to do anything for the future of the console.

nothing is going to turn the wii u around, but i think nintendo can stave off the system's decline at least in a massive sense (like what the 3ds is currently experiencing) by having quite a lot of games next year. my expectation for 2015 is steady to slight decline yoy. us sales by the end of 2015 could be anywhere between 5.5m-6m units. after that i wouldn't expect more than 2m additional units until the dumb thing is finally discontinued. optimistically, 8m in the us, 3m in japan, and 3m in europe for 14m worldwide.

nothing is going to turn the wii u around, but i think nintendo can stave off the system's decline at least in a massive sense (like what the 3ds is currently experiencing) by having quite a lot of games next year. my expectation for 2015 is steady to slight decline yoy. us sales by the end of 2015 could be anywhere between 5.5m-6m units.
Wait, to clarify, you think the system will sell 5 million units next year?

Amir0x

Banned
SMTxFE, while something I want is not going to be setting the world on fire. Nor is Yoshi. Nor is Mario Party 10, Mario v. DK, Mario Maker or Splatoon. The "best is yet to come" is nice from a gaming perspective but it has little relevance to the sales of a system that is destined to be a failure.

you're moving the goal posts here. You mocked him for saying the best is yet to come - which as far as I can tell was about the quality games in the pipeline, not sales - and then you're trying to systematically discredit the huge list of quality games coming. Like I don't enjoy Mario Party either and won't be buying a few others, but the sheer wealth of content Nintendo has planned is frankly incredible for 2015. If they hit even 90% of that stuff in the year it'll be one of their best years in a good long time.

Kirby Amir0x you forgot KIRBY! Dat little pink ball of happiness!

Oh yeah. Which is odd since Rainbow Curse was like one of the only Kirby games I've ever liked, and a sequel to that should be stuck in my memory :D

orthodoxy1095 said:
Wait, to clarify, you think the system will sell 5 million units next year?

No, overall. In total.

nothing is going to turn the wii u around, but i think nintendo can stave off the system's decline at least in a massive sense (like what the 3ds is currently experiencing) by having quite a lot of games next year. my expectation for 2015 is steady to slight decline yoy. us sales by the end of 2015 could be anywhere between 5.5m-6m units. after that i wouldn't expect more than 2m additional units until the dumb thing is finally discontinued. optimistically, 8m in the us, 3m in japan, and 3m in europe for 14m worldwide.
6M units would require a rise.

Assuming something like 1M units, which I think is leaning towards optimistic, for the remainder of CY14, the system would need to do the same next holiday quarter (CY15), while averaging something like 135K for the other 9 months of the year, to reach 6M. That's Mario Kart release level sales consistently.

Even 5.5M would likely require the system outperform this CY consistently.

and 2016 will be back to 2013 drought levels. this will probably be offset by new handheld hardware. i would also expect a new nintendo console around this time too, although it seems increasingly unlikely. it may be that the wii u somehow only gets replaced in 2017.

2017 makes way more sense. 2016 will be too soon for them to come up with an affordable system that is competitive power-wise. They've probably got enough in the pipe and enough as yet un-sequeled titles ( Animal Crossing, Mario Galaxy, Metroid, Wario, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Golf/Tennis, F-Zero, Kid Icarus) that they could handily string things out with meaningful software for another year. A five year lifespan probably makes the Wii U investment look a little less onerous as well, and sends a clear message to prospective buyers that they won't abandon them.

Mory Dunz

I assumed he was just talking about games that were interesting for him. If he was referring to those titles in a sales sense, then yeah that'd be ridiculous. Because Kirby blows Star Fox out of the water if it's sales. Heck, even Yoshi does too by a pretty big margin. Maybe Splatoon too, who knows. Kirby might even out do X as well depending on Japan. So...I hope he didn't mean sales.

Also true on the Wii. Smash Brawl had
More hype, pre orders and initial sales but MKWii had longer legs and ended up selling more than double of what Brawl sold.

Top Bottom