• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Nintendo says Smash Wii U has more pre-orders than MK8.

asvpxjad

Banned
I couldn't find enjoyment out of MK8. Felt like it was too easy for me. Just bought my first nintendo console since the GameCube. Just picked up wind waker HD couple hours ago, I hope I like it as I loved Ocarina Of Time.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder how it's stacking up against Smash 3DS preorders.

It's not even comparable!

This is kind of surprising though. I mean, Mario Kart came with a free game and has outsold Smash 2 out of 3 times.

I couldn't find enjoyment out of MK8. Felt like it was too easy for me. Just bought my first nintendo console since the GameCube. Just picked up wind waker HD couple hours ago, I hope I like it as I loved Ocarina Of Time.

Play online against good players. It won't be easy anymore.

Mario Kart was bigger on the Wii, smaller on the 'Cube and bigger than the N64 Smash (which, tbf, was the first in the series and had less brand recognition.) I think with a lot of the Wii crowd gone, it was going to be close between the two (If it hadn't been for the 3DS version, I reckon Smash would've easily been bigger.)

yeah, but Melee also had quite the advantage over Double Dash in that generation (launch game, two year head start)

and it still barely came out ahead, worldwide

NewGame

Banned
fnFLz6.png

Yep that's spray paint.
chalk tool where are you

Who

Banned
NeoGAF use it for everything, even if it's for Actor of all time or Film of all time, it's still a GOAT, dunno why, seems stupid.

Anyway, good to see that it has loads of pre-orders, it's close to Christmas unlike MK8's release so maybe that's a factor as well.

I've figured it out as meaning Greatest Of All Time so as not to be annoyed by its inconsistent uses lol

OT: I really help this helps move the WiiU as I think its an incredible system but unfortunately its coming out at a time when the next gen systems are finally worth buying (GTAV, MCC)

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Not on GC.

Well..

Smash Bros. Melee - around 7.09 million according to Wikipedia (Fall 2001)
Mario Kart Double Dash - around 7 million according to Wikipedia (Fall 2003)

Mario Kart may have sold more. Those numbers both roughly estimate them at 7 million. But this was an extremely small user base and Smash released 2 years earlier.

Mory Dunz

Well..

Smash Bros. Melee - around 7.09 million according to Wikipedia (Fall 2001)
Mario Kart Double Dash - around 7 million according to Wikipedia (Fall 2003)

Mario Kart may have sold more. Those numbers both roughly estimate them at 7 million. But this was an extremely small user base and Smash released 2 years earlier.

So Kart has always sold more in a way...?
It won't this time, but the 3DS version will make it impossible to know how the U version would've done by itself.

I say if Smash ends up within...~400K of Kart, it would've sold more if only the U version existed. That's just my guess though.

jholmes

Just someone who believes there's still a chance to turn things around sales-wise. Well meaning folk who just love Nintendo too much to see the forest for the trees.

Maybe they just love video games and don't want everything turning into Assassin's Creed Unity. Just a thought.

jnWake

Wii U is mainly owned by Nintendo hardcores (I think...) so Smash could have a chance at outselling MK8, but I doubt it.

Kenai

I am one of those preorders. Gonna be playing this game for a looooong time I think.

Good now work on Smash 2 for the Wii U ! :)

Why would they do that? Nintendo discovered DLC this gen and are making full use of it.

Wii U is mainly owned by Nintendo hardcores (I think...) so Smash could have a chance at outselling MK8, but I doubt it.

I have no doubt that unless some kind of successor comes out MK will keep selling more consistently for longer than Smash will.

jholmes

i am not sure how that is related to what i said to be honest

Not everyone who wants to see the Wii U do a lot better feels that way due to blind love for Nintendo, but perhaps because they don't like the direction the PS4 and Xbone are going in.

Who

Banned
Why would they do that? Nintendo discovered DLC this gen and are making full use of it.

I can see them releasing an ultra edition or something. All the DLC included, new features like advanced video editing... who knows.

Pretty impressive considering that my copy of Pikmin 3 came with Mario Kart 8 for free.

Yep, that got me off the sidelines to get MK8 and I'm glad it did, it's still easily my GOTY right now. If I could get Tropical Freeze with Smash I'd jump on that, too.

I couldn't find enjoyment out of MK8. Felt like it was too easy for me.

Try playing online. The competition is damn good, and the Link/Hyrule track DLC this week will be bringing everybody back.

Just bought my first nintendo console since the GameCube. Just picked up wind waker HD couple hours ago, I hope I like it as I loved Ocarina Of Time.

You will. That game is built to fall in love with.

Amir0x

Banned
Not everyone who wants to see the Wii U do a lot better feels that way due to blind love for Nintendo, but perhaps because they don't like the direction the PS4 and Xbone are going in.

again, not really related. I want the Wii U to do better. Most gamers probably do that have any experience with it, I mean, it's a pretty good system.

but that's different than believing it actually will do better. Because there is no way for this ship to be turned around, it'd take a Jesus walks on water level miracle. Sadly.

So it's better to focus on the great games basically than to live with false hope is what I'm saying.

Choomp

Banned
This is great, Wii U seems to be going in a good direction lately, but after this holiday I'm not really expecting anything very big from sales. I don't know if they can bring anything out that can drive sales like Smash.

jholmes

again, not really related. I want the Wii U to do better. Most gamers probably do that have any experience with it, I mean, it's a pretty good system.

but that's different than believing it actually will do better. Because there is no way for this ship to be turned around, it'd take a Jesus walks on water level miracle. Sadly.

So it's better to focus on the great games basically than to live with false hope is what I'm saying.

Sorry what I wrote seemed unclear to you. Couldn't have said it myself about the great games, and I'm glad to see Smash Bros. is finding its audience.

1:1 attach rate incoming

I'm not buying it!

I really didn't enjoy Brawl at all. That was my first Smash game, so maybe I missed the boat on this franchise (Melee being the one most praise). I dunno... I just don't get the appeal.

I doubt this will outsell MK8 in the long term, but I'm almost certain those two will be the highest selling titles on the Wii U when its life is over.

Blizzard

Banned
Not really worried about Nintendo. Didn't they just post a profit for last quarter.
Yes, and I saw an article crediting Mario Kart 8 for helping with that -- I don't personally know how true that is, but hopefully Smash will enable them to continue to stay profitable.

Vena

This is great, Wii U seems to be going in a good direction lately, but after this holiday I'm not really expecting anything very big from sales. I don't know if they can bring anything out that can drive sales like Smash.

Splatoon and XCX should be at least blips on the radar.

Zelda is the next *huge* title unless they soon announce a Galaxy 3.

Kenai

Not really worried about Nintendo. Didn't they just post a profit for last quarter.

They don't lose money that often (although it has happened, for sure this gen). So no, nothing to really worry about. Which is why the chalkboard thing for Wii U doesn't work quite as well as it did for the PS3 since that and Sony did lose money for quite a while.

I'm sure they would like to make more money than they currently are though. Hope their next console comes out with less problems than this one, I'll buy it sooner (but keep doing BC Nintendo, helps make up for your stupid region lock xoxoxox)

Does this include sales data from Mario Kart Wii U bundles? Smash has no such sku to split it's preorders unless the controller and adapter bundle count as a different sku.

AniHawk

the wii u is kind of a lousy system on its own, but as a wii u + wii, it's rather fantastic if you missed out on the latter's excellent library.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

I really doubt Splatoon or X will do interesting numbers, expecially X, but you never know. i surely would be extremely happy if that happens. Zelda is another big question mark, SS kinda bombed so ehh

boiled goose

good with gravy
Not surprising. Smash is more hardcore and front loaded compared to Mario kart.

I would also expect for smash to drive more sales of consoles in the short run since there are smash only fans that want a console just for the game.

Choomp

Banned

If Zelda isn't a holiday title next year I wouldn't be surprised if they had something like Galaxy 3 there. I don't know what else would be their first party holiday release.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If you know about dev time, also ignoring that sakurai was knee deep in kid icarus, and htat they just cant start development on a game in a day just because they want it out early(theres pre-development where they have to work out ideas and sketches and such before they can even get down to the programming) then why are you still saying this.

Because if Nintendo had its priorities straight, the proper timing for this would have been done years beforehand.

yes, it will do slightly less shitty than before, no doubt. Just still extremely shitty :p

I just feel like it's a required warning in these types of topics because people are really obsessed with the idea of Wii U turning its sales disaster around, but it's not happening. But there's still tons of awesome games we're getting from Nintendo, so at least that's cool..

And you're one of those people who are obsessed with the idea that the Wii U is ALREADY dead in spite of the fact that this era of new generation of consoles has just started. It's a marathon, not a sprint. The Wii U just happened to have a one year head start (or false start, if you may) but this race will take years to complete.

NeoGAF use it for everything, even if it's for Actor of all time or Film of all time, it's still a GOAT, dunno why, seems stupid.

Anyway, good to see that it has loads of pre-orders, it's close to Christmas unlike MK8's release so maybe that's a factor as well.

GOAT stands for Greatest Of All Time.

Top Bottom