• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Oh wow. Play-Asia changed their price 3 times this week for the Asian version.

It was 39.90... then 44.90... now 49.90.... !?

Is this any indication that it will be compatible with US 360s?!

I hope SO!

Brashnir

duckroll said:
He was videocasting on the site under the channel name "Freecell" and that's all we know. Btw I've been hearing some things on 2ch about the game's length.... maybe I shouldn't mention it here! :lol

it's that short huh?

Ginko

duckroll said:
He was videocasting on the site under the channel name "Freecell" and that's all we know. Btw I've been hearing some things on 2ch about the game's length.... maybe I shouldn't mention it here! :lol
'nuff said...:(

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
spill the beans duck, what do they say about game's length? this is the numero 1 reason for me to buy a 360.

LJ11

Isn't the game 3 DVD's? Sounds like your going to be doing more watching than playing, because how else can you explain 3 DVD's when the game has a short quest.

LJ11

Duckroll, we're going to find out sooner or later. Please make it sooner rather than later. :)

Is it under or over 20 hours?

Cedille

duckroll said:

I think it's most likely a vicious rumor...as he said he finished a Disc 1 in just 5 hours.
However, I've seen a videocasters that has played for over 6 hours still not change the disc.

Btw, this game must not be my cup of tea. A big cliche. I just watched the gameplay of peercasting, though.

duckroll

Cedille said:
I think it's most likely a vicious rumor...as he said he finished a Disc 1 in just 5 hours.
However, I've seen a videocasters that has played for over 6 hours still not change the disc.

Damnit! Someone just HAD to ruin it! :lol

Why do you think I wasn't posting it. :p

Luckett_X

Banned
Has anyone ripped an mp3 of the boss music or anything yet? Its... so addictive I need to listen to it on loop for hours ;____;

GhaleonEB

Jonnyram said:
It's out officially tomorrow, so no indication yet ;)
ah, gotcha. how did you snag your copy?

Awareness seems high on the game. i still can't believe it's Famitsu's #2 most wanted.

Munba

I just seen the newest Blim video, the Overworld Map. Damn, the return of old ages. That excited me truly. :)

Munba

Munba said:
I just seen the newest Blim video, the Overworld Map. Damn, the return of old ages. That excited me truly. :)

Munba

Im slightly disappointed...I mean the world map has nothing like the scale of dragon quest viii...that game had the best world map ever...ffxii would e equal without the load times

peace

Munba

It's more a personal taste of mine rather than "better or worst". The map of DQ8 is very nice indeed and maybe one the best actually but the dream to see an old overworld ala ff7 again, never abbandoned me. ;)

Munba

GhaleonEB

Munba said:
It's more a personal taste of mine rather than "better or worst". The map of DQ8 is very nice indeed and maybe one the best actually but the dream to see an old overworld ala ff7 again, never abbandoned me. ;)

Munba
Wait, who posted this again? :p

Cedille said:

Btw, this game must not be my cup of tea. A big cliche. I just watched the gameplay of peercasting, though.
That's not much to worry about in my opinion. FFIX's 1st disc was only something like 10 hours if I recall correctly, yet it still managed to be a nice long game. Maybe Sakaguchi's a bit of a front loader?

P.S. Marumaro's kin sure seem to hump a whole lot...

Jonnyram said:
Ooh, this Monster's Fight stuff is a lot of fun.

O. M. G. You're playing it. RIght now. Blue Dragon. It's on your 360. And you're making monsters fight each other. That's what's happening. While I'm eating Cheerios.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
me and Mrs C playing in tandom now
regardless of anything
i just get the feeling that if this was a Ps3 game, people would be declaring the war over in japan. But that's just me and my ****ING SEETHING HATE for sony and their cockmaster fanboys! ;)

GhaleonEB

BenjaminBirdie said:
O. M. G. You're playing it. RIght now. Blue Dragon. It's on your 360. And you're making monsters fight each other. That's what's happening. While I'm eating Cheerios.
What kind of Cheerios? Plain old regular Cheerios, or those yummy new ones with yogurt covered Cheerios mixed in? Because if it's the plain-old...well, that's even worse. :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I assume it is not region free, right?

THAT right there is why I want the PS3 to succeed over the other machines. :p

I'd be all over this otherwise. :\

GhaleonEB

BenjaminBirdie said:
Plain. Old.

:(
Damn. Bummer. :(

If there's any justice at all, BD will move some hardware in Japan. if DOAX2 can get weekly sales up to 7k, then BD should put it over 25 regularly. If.

dark10x

BenjaminBirdie said:
That's it? Really?
Well, that's a bit of hyperbole, but I'm not lying when I say that I'm extremely disappointing with the fact that some of these RPGs are being released on XBOX360 simply because of region encoding issues. That's a huge issue for me.

However, there simply aren't enough games total to justify a Japanese XBOX360 in addition to my US system (where most of the games will be hitting anyways). It's just that, for the handful of RPGs that the 360 is going to be receiving, I'm annoyed that I have to miss out on them.

dark10x said:
Well, that's a bit of hyperbole, but I'm not lying when I say that I'm extremely disappointing with the fact that some of these RPGs are being released on XBOX360 simply because of region encoding issues. That's a huge issue for me.

However, there simply aren't enough games total to justify a Japanese XBOX360 in addition to my US system (where most of the games will be hitting anyways). It's just that, for the handful of RPGs that the 360 is going to be receiving, I'm annoyed that I have to miss out on them.

I must be misreading this. Are you saying that developers are making games for 360 exclusively because they want their games region coded and not for the PS3 because region coding isn't required for their machine?

Also, I'd be surprised if any major Japanese exclusives didn't make it over here eventually, considering sales trends for 360 software.

Jonnyram

OK, before I sleep some quick impressions.

Opening scene was great - a really quick, but good introduction to the three starter characters. Shu's voice actor makes him sound really spunky, unlike the lead characters of most recent FFs, and the other two are just typical RPG chars - whiny girl and clever shy guy. There are plenty of event scenes while wandering about, so you don't get endless exploration (so far).

Graphics are schweet - it's really, seriously hard to see the difference between in-engine and pre-rendered stuff. I guess the only way you can tell is in some of the environmental stuff that happens, i.e. there's just no way they'd put that kind of thing into the engine itself. There is a little bit of v-sync trouble here and there, but it's mostly harmless and doesn't happen often. The d.o.f. effect is nice too.

Fights are super-easy so far, but also super-quick. If you encounter a monster from behind you'll get a back attack, or if they pounce on you, they'll get a sneak attack. Once you reach the world map, you can choose to encounter multiple monsters at once, but holding down RT and building an area circle around you. Any monsters in this circle can be attacked individually, together or all at once. If you attack different types of monsters at the same time, they will fight each other (Monster's Fight), which saves you a load of effort as well as netting you tons of EXP and bonus stuff (ooh, gold poos!)

So far the only world map bit I've been in was to link two areas, so it's not a big deal yet. The overall map seems quite big though.

One of the crazy things that is gonna drive completists insane - you can check nearly anything. A lot of the time there is no obvious graphical cue for what you can check. You just go up to a pipe on the wall and check it, or a broken tree trunk, piece of scrap metal, rock, whatever. And you find lots of stuff this way - equipment, gold, restorative items, medals. Dunno what medals are for yet, though.

Guess that sums it up for now. All round positive, I'd say. But I'm sure you all expected that from me :p

I hope theres lots of side quests and stuff to do, the guy who says he beat disc 1 in 5 hours must have ignored anything, or mostly anything extra and probably played solid. Not everyone is like that.

dark10x

BenjaminBirdie said:
I must be misreading this. Are you saying that developers are making games for 360 exclusively because they want their games region coded and not for the PS3 because region coding isn't required for their machine?

Also, I'd be surprised if any major Japanese exclusives didn't make it over here eventually, considering sales trends for 360 software.
No no no no, nothing like that. I'm not suggesting that region encoding has ANYTHING to do with deciding on a platform. I'm saying that "I" was disappointed in the selection of 360 as the platform DUE to region restrictions (as in, my disappointment stems only from that fact). Poor wording on my part.

I'm sure most of them will make their way into the US, but I much prefer sticking to the original Japanese releases. It keeps me reading and, therefore, learning more and more. I haven't played an RPG in English for over a year and a half, and I've learned so much as a result. The releases have dried up, though, and I could really use something like Blue Dragon right about now.

confirmed - not region free
Disappointment total. :(

Is there ANY known way to get around this problem without buying more hardware?

dark10x said:
No no no no, nothing like that. I'm not suggesting that region encoding has ANYTHING to do with deciding on a platform. I'm saying that "I" was disappointed in the selection of 360 as the platform DUE to region restrictions (as in, my disappointment stems only from that fact). Poor wording on my part.

I'm sure most of them will make their way into the US, but I much prefer sticking to the original Japanese releases. It keeps me reading and, therefore, learning more and more. I haven't played an RPG in English for over a year and a half, and I've learned so much as a result. The releases have dried up, though, and I could really use something like Blue Dragon right about now.

Disappointment total. :(

Is there ANY known way to get around this problem without buying more hardware?

I see. As someone who's also learning Japanese on his own steam, I do feel your pain. But I do most of my flexing at the local Kinokuniya. It'd be too distracting to try and play a game at such a glacial learning pace.

But I hear you.

Top Bottom