• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
BenjaminBirdie said:
I see. As someone who's also learning Japanese on his own steam, I do feel your pain. But I do most of my flexing at the local Kinokuniya. It'd be too distracting to try and play a game at such a glacial learning pace.

But I hear you.
Oh yeah, games aren't really a great way to START learning by any means. It takes a LOT of work to get to the point where you can actually start enjoying them properly. Once you hit a certain level, though, it becomes an incredibly useful tool. I mean, I deal with a lot of Japanese at work, so I'm using it all the time in that sense, but reading skills are different and games are a great way to work on it.

Bebpo basically hit JLPT1 level kanji knowledge using games as one of his primary tools, and I'm attempting to follow his success. It really works out well. Once you hit a certain point, learning speed increases. I've learned ten times as much in the last year than I did during my first four years of study. :)

How far along in your studies are you?

dark10x said:
Oh yeah, games aren't really a great way to START learning by any means. It takes a LOT of work to get to the point where you can actually start enjoying them properly. Once you hit a certain level, though, it becomes an incredibly useful tool. I mean, I deal with a lot of Japanese at work, so I'm using it all the time in that sense, but reading skills are different and games are a great way to work on it.

Bebpo basically hit JLPT1 level kanji knowledge using games as one of his primary tools, and I'm attempting to follow his success. It really works out well. Once you hit a certain point, learning speed increases. I've learned ten times as much in the last year than I did during my first four years of study. :)

How far along in your studies are you?

Not far at all. I've basically just learned Hiragana and Katakana and flip through an occasional Yotsuba&! in Japanese just to read phonetically. I'm doing it really slowly and probably very poorly.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
BenjaminBirdie said:
Not far at all. I've basically just learned Hiragana and Katakana and flip through an occasional Yotsuba&! in Japanese just to read phonetically. I'm doing it really slowly and probably very poorly.
You have to give it time. If you rush yourself too much, your interest will drop. I have periods of down time where I really don't even deal with it much for months at a time. When the interest comes back, then I'm back at it. In a way, this allows what you HAVE learned to sink in and become completely natural. It took me over 5 years to make it this far. I could have done it faster, I'm sure, but between work and school, it was tough. Most of that was self-study. Though, I must admit, the few months in Japan really had the greatest impact of all (work and school with no English is incredibly helpful). However, that's not something I would try until you reach a certain level.

Still, as you can imagine, the region encoding of these games has a negative impact on my method.

so, finally the Asian version will be identical to the Japanese version? I was thinking in getting the asian version if it comes with english subtitles.. because I've read that the Japanese version comes only with japanese text/voices, no english subs.. is it confirmed?

GhaleonEB

duckroll said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol
Well, what else would it take? They're bundling their biggest most anticipated game in Japan with the hardware dirt cheap, during the holidays. If that doesn't move units, nothing will.

And of course I wasn't being litteral about giving up in Japan. Perhaps despair is a better term, instead of 'give up'.

duckroll

GhaleonEB said:
Well, what else would it take? They're bundling their biggest most anticipated game in Japan with the hardware dirt cheap, during the holidays. If that doesn't move units, nothing will.

And of course I wasn't being litteral about giving up in Japan. Perhaps despair is a better word.

Moving units and selling 100k Xbox360s in one week are VERY different things. :D

GhaleonEB

duckroll said:
Moving units and selling 100k Xbox360s in one week are VERY different things. :D
See, that's what happens when you don't specify what part of a post is causing you to laugh your ass off. :lol

But seriously - what ever happened to the 100k pre-orders on the hardware bundle? I remember when that story hit and GAF was skeptical (and rightly so) but I never saw a follow-up.

duckroll

GhaleonEB said:
See, that's what happens when you don't specify what part of a post is causing you to laugh your ass off. :lol

But seriously - what ever happened to the 100k pre-orders on the hardware bundle? I remember when that story hit and GAF was skeptical (and rightly so) but I never saw a follow-up.

It was clarified but everyone chose to ignore it because it was less interesting. :lol

I believe that the first shipment of the bundle will be 100k, with 10% of that (10k) being a first pressing special with the faceplate and the 5 figurines. The rest will be a normal bundle with just the game and the console in the same nice box. What was being sold out really quickly were pre orders for the first press edition. So expect at LEAST 10k more Xbox360 units to move this week, probably more, but hardly 100k.

GhaleonEB said:

And of course I wasn't being litteral about giving up in Japan. Perhaps despair is a better term, instead of 'give up'.

ummm its hardly the most anticipated or biggest game, I mean guessing its because there is nothing particularly big comming out soon...but I expect it to do pretty well...or at least have a high ratio with those who have a 360

peace

GhaleonEB

Ah, thanks duckroll.

nelsonroyale said:
ummm its hardly the most anticipated or biggest game, I mean guessing its because there is nothing particularly big comming out soon...but I expect it to do pretty well...or at least have a high ratio with those who have a 360

peace

I meant most anticipated game for the 360, which it certainly is so far in Japan. It's the #2 overall most anticipated title as of last week, according to Famitsu. DOAX2 was #10 when it released and sold 45k copies. BD should be the biggest seller for the 360 so far.

Mrbob

GhaleonEB said:
If those 100k don't sell out - right away - then MS should just give up in Japan. That's an incredible package.

True. That entire package for $260 is incredible.

Ignis

Ow...

Not knowing Japanese, I've had the game changed inside the pack (I asked the seller to replace Blue Dragon with Culdcept Saga).
But now that I see this silvery boxart...argh...I'm starting to have regrets =/

Boh...all of that will vanish when I get the box, I guess... :D
*crosses fingers*

By the way... on the pics the disc tray is silver though the pack is a core... Has the guy put the faceplate on another console of his or is the tray really silver ?

GhaleonEB said:
Ah, thanks duckroll.

I meant most anticipated game for the 360, which it certainly is so far in Japan. It's the #2 overall most anticipated title as of last week, according to Famitsu. DOAX2 was #10 when it released and sold 45k copies. BD should be the biggest seller for the 360 so far.

got you...yeah completely agree...and no doubt it will be a first and sell bigger outside Japan...toriyama name a ttatched perhaps?

peace

Ginko

Thanks for the impressions, Jonnyram.

So what about the others who supposedly got it today? Come on people we need impressions.

That faceplate looks hot.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I played a bit, and i'm very happy with what little i played

Mrs C played a lot before bed, her comment?

"I haven't felt like this about an J-RPG's opening since the old FF games on the Snes"

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
DCharlie said:

"I haven't felt like this about an J-RPG's opening since the old FF games on the Snes"

woah! That's great. I was really mezmorized and captured by the opening. I watched it 12 times i think.

hyp

DCharlie said:

holy shit. MEGATON for me. i haven't felt the JRPG magic since FF2 on SNES quite honestly.... sakaguchi-san is back baby.

Troidal

I couldn't resist ordering the LE boxset...*click*

Now I have to figure out how to get rid of the retard pack :lol

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
hyp said:
holy shit. MEGATON for me. i haven't felt the JRPG magic since FF2 on SNES quite honestly.... sakaguchi-san is back baby.

Of course, I'm faced with the same exuberance as you are, but one must remember that it's only the opening

hyp

dirtmonkey37 said:
Of course, I'm faced with the same exuberance as you are, but one must remember that it's only the opening

:lol speed reading FTL. i thought those were her initial game impressions. i must've skipped over the word "opening".

Hunter D

DCharlie said:

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. **** Yeah!!!

ChrisAllenFiz said:
Please, calm down. too much hype and the game will never be able to live up to it.

Gears_of_War.jpg

"What's that? I was in the can."

Brashnir

DCharlie said:

cool, I haven't really liked any J-RPGs since the SNES/Genesis days*. Maybe I'll be able to get into this one.

*I did like Golden Sun on the GBA too, which was more recent, but it was basically an SNES game.

Jonnyram

MirageDwarf said:
One question to those who have it:

Can you turn off the sound which is being played every time you check something?
Well you can control the volume but it's the same as all the other SFX :/
However, if you are playing with 5.1, it's pretty quiet. It doesn't come through the centre channel.

NinSoX

Banned
From what I've seen, this game's opening gives the player a chance to explore before the game's story comes into place, much like many older SNES RPG's. Too many RPG's nowadays tries to fill you in with too much story and conflict before you even start to play (FF12 comes to mind).

Jonnyram said:
Well you can control the volume but it's the same as all the other SFX :/
However, if you are playing with 5.1, it's pretty quiet. It doesn't come through the centre channel.

Kinda disappointing. For me at least. As you said in your early impression that nearly everything can be checked, I guess, I will keep hearing that annoying sound much often when I play US version.

I am still buying this game though.

JoeFenix

I'm pretty sure that's because Mielke put the faceplate on his the Premium that he bought before. I might be wrong though, maybe MS actualy refurbished premiums from Jp and just removed the hdd's :lol

GhaleonEB

Okay, this thread slows down on the day the game is released? :lol

I'm wondering how the promotion in game shops has been. Usually it seems the 360 games are shafted to the back, with titles like Dead Rising (thanks to that rating) all but black-listed. Is awereness/marketing better this time around? Anyone pick it up today?

Top Bottom