• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) Pre-TGS Hype thread + Possible release date

PhatSaqs said:
How can you complain about that. Hell the RT stuff in some ways looks better than the CG. Check out the belt around the due in green and how the shirt looks depressed because of it. Sheesh.

And if you want to get Supra Nitpicky, the sleeve on the black tank top looks worse in the "CG" shot than it does in "RT". And for the record, all those lighting and deep focus effects were in use in the first dungeon hallway when that (totally rad looking) red and white robot was guarding it.

Unless someone tells me what it is about the lighting in that shot that is more complicated than what's going on in the dungeon hallway, I'm going to stick with my previous assertion.

Not that any of this shit matters in the slightest. The fact that I can't tell the difference just tells me that I'm going to enjoy the game immensely. So who cares?

I don't see any differences between the CG and the Real-time. The real-time pic has a lighter lightsource on the faces so they hide the shadows that would make the face pop out more.

mollipen

Watched the video, and... maybe I've grown out of J-RPGs. (That, or, hmm... they need to evolve.) Run around, open treasure chests, run into a monster in one location, warp into a battle scene that has no real relevance to where you just were, your party stands in a line, character jumps towards the monster, attacks, jumps back. Rinse and repeat.

The graphics get prettier and the worlds get more expansive and developed, and yet the gameplay looks like the same thing I was playing back on the NES.

Pimpwerx

shidoshi said:
Watched the video, and... maybe I've grown out of J-RPGs. (That, or, hmm... they need to evolve.) Run around, open treasure chests, run into a monster in one location, warp into a battle scene that has no real relevance to where you just were, your party stands in a line, character jumps towards the monster, attacks, jumps back. Rinse and repeat.

The graphics get prettier and the worlds get more expansive and developed, and yet the gameplay looks like the same thing I was playing back on the NES.
Yeah, there's gotta be a better way to tell a fantasy story. Action rpgs should have gotten there by now, but they're mostly just pussified beatemups. I mean, Zelda is the coolest in that regard, but it also lacks the sense of scale and theatrics of japanese turn-based rpgs.

This is why Vagrant Story is my favorite rpg, b/c it also tried to depart from the standard fare. The battle system offered depth in combination with the weapons system. These Mistwalker titles have a ton of potential. I hope they end up as good as they currently look. PEACE.

JMPovoa

shidoshi said:

But in making the gameplay simple and "retro" is what makes the games appealing. I've always found interest in these games due to the story itself, the fighting aspect being just a fun (magical spells, weapon upgrades, strategies involved against all various enemies, etc.) means to get to the end of it.

mollipen

Error2k4 said:
yeah dont play anymore jRPGs

I shouldn't have to give up on a genre I once loved just because it refuses to grow up. Some (a few) games out there get it, and try to push the genre forward. Games like this shouldn't be tolerated anymore, especially when we're talking a brand new game/franchise for a brand new system.

JMPovoa said:
But in making the gameplay simple and "retro" is what makes the games appealing. I've always found interest in these games due to the story itself, the fighting aspect being just a fun (magical spells, weapon upgrades, strategies involved against all various enemies, etc.) means to get to the end of it.

What if, ten years down the road, Capcom released a new survival horror title... be it a new RE, or anything... and putting graphics aside, it basically played EXACTLY like Resident Evil 1 on the PSX? That's how I see this. Retro isn't alwas cool, and games need to evolve. I loved RE1 back in the day, but there's no way I want to go back to that.

JMPovoa

shidoshi said:
I shouldn't have to give up on a genre I once loved just because it refuses to grow up. Some (a few) games out there get it, and try to push the genre forward. Games like this shouldn't be tolerated anymore, especially when we're talking a brand new game/franchise for a brand new system.

I agree with you in that people rely too much in a tried and true system, being this a money business, there are certain aspects in which most gaming companies prefer to stay safe in what's universally accepted by the gaming public.
In that sense you have to understand that in the Xbox360's case this is an even more delicate matter. They're trying to do something for themselves in the Japanese market, and therefore have to play by certain rules in order to get a faster acceptance by the Japanese gamers.
If all goes well, we could start seeing even more quality content from Japanese gaming companies, namely in the RPG area, with more originality in the gameplay.

shidoshi said:
I shouldn't have to give up on a genre I once loved just because it refuses to grow up. Some (a few) games out there get it, and try to push the genre forward. Games like this shouldn't be tolerated anymore, especially when we're talking a brand new game/franchise for a brand new system..

Some of us don't want to grow up.

But if you want grown up Lost Odyssey is supposed to deliver some new innovations. Blue Dragon is old-school with sweet graphics.

shidoshi said:

there have been plenty of evolved rpgs, and yet people still complain.

to name a few KOTOR Mass effect Oblivion.

JMPovoa

shidoshi said:
What if, ten years down the road, Capcom released a new survival horror title... be it a new RE, or anything... and putting graphics aside, it basically played EXACTLY like Resident Evil 1 on the PSX? That's how I see this. Retro isn't alwas cool, and games need to evolve. I loved RE1 back in the day, but there's no way I want to go back to that.

Read my previous post. In Resident Evil's case, it wasn't so much a matter of gameplay changing in the way of controls, it was a strike of genius from Capcom's part going with the over the shoulder camera which opened up the 3D gaming space (now you can shoot in all directions, be it horizontal or vertical). If you think about it, the way you control the character didn't change at all. Some times small things like camera positioning can change gameplay entirely, while sticking to a classic concept.

Hopefully there will be some quicker attacks. All the long spell animations could get old awfully quick. Otherwise the trailer looked great. The boss had awesome detail and animation.

mollipen

DreamMachine said:
there have been plenty of evolved rpgs, and yet people still complain.

to name a few KOTOR Mass effect Oblivion.

My argument is against J-RPGs, and those are Western RPGs.

shidoshi said:
My argument is against J-RPGs, and those are Western RPGs.

Well, it seems as though if MS deters too much to something new, it will scare away the japense audience in which ms aims to target.

all those western rpgs provide little to no hype toward japense auidence even though they evolve the genre

PG2G

Incredible. Everything looks real time to me though, at least in the one video I watched. If there was CG, the difference is negligible and definitely not worth complaining about.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
If this game could just smooth out the loading screens, it would be perfect. I love the look, it just screams fun.

WYWY

shidoshi said:

Deja-Vu. I just posted a slightly similar complaint in the LO thread.

Odysseus

Banned
I just watched the gameplay video and a few things turned me off. I haven't read the thread so I'm sure other people have mentioned them, but I don't like the way a voice will say stuff like "item, detected, dead," in response to certain things that happen. I know what's going on, why are you telling me these things? And the battle screen, it's all fine, it reminds me a lot of FFX and that's not a bad thing. But what's up with that TV-screen like visual reference on the left of the screen? Why is that there? It's jarring, and I would prefer that it's not there when the game gets released.

Odysseus said:
I just watched the gameplay video and a few things turned me off. I haven't read the thread so I'm sure other people have mentioned them, but I don't like the way a voice will say stuff like "item, detected, dead," in response to certain things that happen. I know what's going on, why are you telling me these things? And the battle screen, it's all fine, it reminds me a lot of FFX and that's not a bad thing. But what's up with that TV-screen like visual reference on the left of the screen? Why is that there? It's jarring, and I would prefer that it's not there when the game gets released.

My guess, is that screen that's there will be for the character facial expressions latter in the game to show finer detail of the emotions. of what is going on.

Odysseus said:

I love the Picture In Picture. Just a little bonus for the 16:9 generation. I think it's a nice way to focus on the character you're working with in that move.

As far as the narration. I dunno. Didn't really bother me.

Just saw the gameplay movies. GAWD DAMN! This looks amazing. Reminds me of Mag for the Dreamcast. This just jumped up loads on my most anticipated list.

Odysseus

Banned
Maybe I'm just a hater. :(

It just seems out of place, that's all. It's like there's actually a movie screen actually in the same place as the battle. I don't know, I'm not necessarily saying the idea is terrible, that it wouldn't be useful to convey emotion, but I'm just not getting it in its present form. Distinguish it a bit more, maybe have it outlined better and in the bottom corner instead of the top.

Odysseus said:
Maybe I'm just a hater. :(

It just seems out of place, that's all. It's like there's actually a movie screen actually in the same place as the battle. I don't know, I'm not necessarily saying the idea is terrible, that it wouldn't be useful to convey emotion, but I'm just not getting it in its present form. Distinguish it a bit more, maybe have it outlined better and in the bottom corner instead of the top.

Nah, I don't think you're just hating. I personally think it meshes really well with the overall presentation, which I'm really loving.

Xenon

I like the art style. But I think they overused what could have been a cool concept by having each character use their dragon for every turn. I also can't stand that the characters combine into the main hero for exploration. At least with the older games like Phantasy Star you had the single file line. Is it that hard to implement path detection? Also having the story play out in cut scenes is lame as well. It would be nice to watch events unfold while I still have control of my character/camera. Like when you see the cut scene where the evil dude jumps in the jet and flies off. It would have been more engaging if while YOU were heading toward the plane the officer blocks your path.

I think that has been the biggest problem for jrpgs for me. I just can't stand watching shit play out. I want to be a part of/in it.

Daayyymmmnnnn. That trailer was way better than I was expecting it to be. The dragon artstyle/mechanic is pulled off wonderfully. Can JRPG's survive on X360? Let's hope so!!

Aaron

Mrbob said:
Do we have a solid USA release date yet? I'm hoping Q1 2007.
Me too. I don't care about the ancient gameplay this time out. The game is just so visually appealing it surpasses all of that.

....one thing I'm really happy about is how the music is turning out. Particuarly, I love the music that your hear AFTER your victory dance, when characters are receiving their items/xp. You only hear for a second, but DAMN I love the melody :D :D :D

....game makes me feel like a kid playing Chrono Trigger all over again in the 90s

MrPonx

ok...

-Blue Dragon
-Gears of Wars
-Lost Planet

do I need moer reasons to pick up a 360? I think I'll do it on Jan cus I'm really low on budget now... I hope they introduce a kick-ass bundle by then

MrPonx said:
ok...

-Blue Dragon
-Gears of Wars
-Lost Planet

do I need moer reasons to pick up a 360? I think I'll do it on Jan cus I'm really low on budget now... I hope they introduce a kick-ass bundle by then

that Blue Dragon bundle would actually be a good idea for USA too. It's just for Japan though, yes?

EDIT; haha, guess i'm tired

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
FateBreaker said:
that Blue Dragon bundle would actually be a good idea for USA too. It's just for Japan though, yes?

EDIT; haha, guess i'm tired
It'd be awesome if they released it here for the same price. :D :lol

K_S

Banned
Out of all the 360 RPGs, Blue Dragon was the one I least cared for (I kinda hate Toriyama's art) but now it's the one I'm the most interested in. :D

Strangely enough, the exact opposite goes for Lost Odyssey.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Watched the video last nite, looks excellent... reminds me of a ST!NG game (Treasure Hunter G and the Evolution games to be specific) in terms of presentation quite honestly. The boss music is so cheesy its hilarious! I really hope this game blows up in both US and Japan, because both countries need more games like these (and less generic space marine/gangster garbage) to attract a broader audience.

I remember Sqaure beefed up DQ8 for its US release giving it a better version than Japan got.

I hope Microsoft tries to do that with Blue Dragon!

I think the game will be great but who doesn't like improvements?

Top Bottom