• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bluray Tuesday 2/21/2012 *Puuuuuurrrr* Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guessed the twist before then in my first viewing, so I didn't feel the same. I also didn't connect with the brothers very well, and thought the more impulsive one got what he deserved. I didn't like how the other guy was spun into a villain either. It struck me as a clumsy version of the Count of Monti Cristo, except his obsession with revenge just turned him into a tremendous asshole. For characters I like Inception much better, and Bale has had better roles in the Mechanic and the Fighter. All my opinion obviously, but I wouldn't suggest anyone rush out to buy this movie blind.

It was originally about revenge, but then became an obsession about uncovering his secrets. 'It was the look on their faces.' The idea of hiding things from the audience for the sole satisfaction that comes in suspending their belief in something otherwordly felt very much like something personal coming from Nolan.

I do have to say that I am utterly perplexed as to how you can like Inception's characters more.

What? Knowing the twist makes every subsequent viewing of The Prestige so much better for it. The scene where Borden says goodbye to his brother is heartbreaking the second time through. For me, it's Nolan's strongest character film outside of Batman. Bale has never won my sympathy as much as in The Prestige. It also feels like the most passionate and honest film from Nolan.

I agree with this. The second viewing was so much better than the first. It's the best written movie the Nolan brothers have made, imo.

51qYs4w2WML._AA115_.jpg

Damn... why can't this be History of Violence and Eastern Promises in one package? :(

hayejin

What? Knowing the twist makes every subsequent viewing of The Prestige so much better for it. The scene where Borden says goodbye to his brother is heartbreaking the second time through. For me, it's Nolan's strongest character film outside of Batman. Bale has never won my sympathy as much as in The Prestige. It also feels like the most passionate and honest film from Nolan.

I agree. The twist or reveal was too difficult to figure out.
But things you notice on second viewing are great:
Cutter explaining the trick can only be done with double.
Sarah saying she doesn't know if he really loves him. Sometimes she thinks he does and some she doesn't.
Borden genuinely not knowing what type of knot he tied that killed Jackman's wife.
Borden seeing through Chung Ling Soo's trick and explaining how he lives his daily life with the trick.

And unlike Illusionist that had some magic tricks(flower growing and butterflies carrying handkerchief) that still can't be duplicated in present time and tried to explain them away with some cheap drawings( when Prince goes through Norton's magic books and they still couldn't explain how he did the sword trick) and then resort to a real cheap POV trick for the final twist, Prestige explains how every trick in the movie was done or performed.

And Nolan's story telling is what I appreciate most. How he always weaves past and present into seamless story telling until he arrives at connecting point. My memory is fuzzy but I think it's when Jackman is reading the diary and he realizes he's been duped and both present/past Jackman and present/past Bale all arrive at a pivotal scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom