• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boardwalk Empire - Season 4 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, harrows ending scenes dulled the anger and frustration somewhat but god damn that was a let down

It's the difference between a show beholden to its fans like Breaking Bad and a show like Boardwalk Empire.

One gives its fans exactly what they wanted, whilst the other gives fans what they didn't know they wanted. Boardwalk's storytelling trajectories always feel honest and - despite Saty's opinion, almost never feel forced.

Wilbur

Banned
Saty gonna Saty.

The obvious thing would have been to kill Chalky or Narcisse. What happened to Chalky is much worse. I bet he wishes he were dead. He's lost his club (power) and his family.

If Nucky isn't in legal trouble/handcuffs, then that apparently equates to him walking away scott free again at the end of this season. Even though last season he lost his wife and kids, this season saw him lose his business partner, brother and any sense of family. But yeah, the dude isn't in a federal prison so we can't go through the 'shake up' you want of chronicling him making licence plates all through next season.

Absolutely delighted they didn't kill Chalky or Narcisse. Means I get to watch two absolutely stupendously good actors again next year. Narcisse is in a real interesting place storyline wise as well; forced to rat on the man he thinks a hero to advance himself as opposed to his race. But now he's got friends in the FBI so there's some interesting things there already.

I would like to see the scope of the show narrowed a tad; it rectified itself come season's end, but at the start, in the air was:

- Nucky's storyline
- Willie at college
- Eli under his brother's thumb
- Knox/Tolliver things
- Chalky and Narcisse
- Rothstein
- Luciano and Lansky
- The Florida business
- Chicago goings on
- Van Alden
- Harrow and Tommy
- Gillian and Roy
- Margaret's whereabouts

I love the show, and it does an admirable job of setting them all up to pay off at the end of the season. But it helps now that Eli's in Chicago, associated with Van Alden and the Capones seemingly. It helps that Harrow is out of the picture, it helps that Willie is with Nucky now presumably, it helps that Margaret and Rothstein are now in cahoots.

If the show narrows its overall scope and focuses further on Capone/Chicago now that Torrio's out of the picture and half its main cast are already there, that could be great. Plus, give Nucky some more shit to do; he was like a supporting character this year. Have him meet Margaret again, that was hilarious.

Oh, and the guy who plays Hoover is great. Slimy oaf. How cool is it that that guy > Di Caprio and for my money, Graham > De Niro when it comes to Capones?

And more Gaston Means please

Extremely disappointed about Harrow. I'm more upset that he missed his target than him dying. Kind of ruined the finale for me honestly. Most of the time when TV shows do something that's harsh, but necessary, it works out in the end and you ultimately feel satisfied. I don't feel that right now at all. I get why he missed, why the writers went where they went, but it's too frustrating for me to accept.

I didn't like it either.

Think they will jump ahead farther in time next season?

They were foreshadowing some things with Rothstein, and it would give Will time to graduate college.

Harrow's end was perfect. He failed because of what he couldn't be anymore, what he finally escaped being this season: half a man. And he died whole. I loved it.

Z..

imjTPFZspmi9g.JPG

inalfqJMU1z0.JPG

It was an honor and privilege.

iAKneUtBvjtRT.jpg

Wilbur

Banned
Problem is I go on Wiki to read up about the characters and I see "oh shit that happened in 31, that happened in 29"

and then I realise the show is in 24

and will only get a season or two left probably

fuck

FUCK

I love this show and really enjoyed the finale but I have to say the show's budget for set design seems to have taken a hit since S1 & S2.

I don't think we ever saw the actual boardwalk on screen this season which seems kinda weird for something that's always had prominence on the show. I think the show has lost the rich feeling it had earlier.

These guys should have more money than ever but Nucky is living in some shitty old beach house. The only set that looked nice was Chalky's club and even that felt smaller in scale than Babettes was despite replacing it..

Wilbur

Banned
I love this show and really enjoyed the finale but I have to say the show's budget for set design seems to have taken a hit since S1 & S2.

I don't think we ever saw the actual boardwalk on screen this season which seems kinda weird for something that's always had prominence on the show. I think the show has lost the rich feeling it had earlier.

These guys should have more money than ever but Nucky is living in some shitty old beach house. The only set that looked nice was Chalky's club and even that felt smaller in scale than Babettes was despite replacing it..

Probably has taken a hit, it doesn't bring in huge viewers does it? Plus it must cost loads to make anyway despite any cuts.

gdt

People are also forgetting Richard took a knife to his shooting hand earlier this season. Explains the trouble shooting.

People are also forgetting Richard took a knife to his shooting hand earlier this season. Explains the trouble shooting.

It was a combination of that and him not being able to continue in this line of work mentally, as we saw at the beginning of the season.

Helmholtz

I think if I had to rank the show's seasons, it'd go something like S3 > S2 > S4 > S1. Season 4 and 1 are close though, same with 2 and 3 I think. Seasons 2 and 3 were just on another level in my opinion. I was honestly a bit let down with this season overall. I didn't dislike it, but it just didn't really engage me most of the time, aside from a few memorable scenes.

Kallor

First watch of the series I would have put 2 ahead of 3 but after rewatching it all season 3 just felt so tight and perfect. And Season 1 was better than I remembered lol.

4>3>2>1

Working its way up there to Deadwood, Mad Men, The Sopranos status.

jvm

Gamasutra.
1. Nucky in the clear yet again thanks to PURE LUCK and HAPPENSTANCE. Thanks a lot Elli's wife for talking too much -- Nucky would have had ZERO CLUE. The meeting would have taken place; bombs would have dropped; major shakeup for the show would have been in place. Now? Nada.
How should he find out about a secret plot to nab him, other than someone making a mistake? He then capitalized on it.

2. Where did the showdown go? Nucky-Chalky-Narcisse. Forget the fact that Nucky had only 7 people guarding the house in these delicate times and the implausibility of Chalky sneaking up on them, all the build-up amounted to nothing - namely, all three are alive. I wanted blood. Again, i wanted tough decisions. Narcisse or Chalky - one of the had to go. The city ain't big enough, they were at each other's throats, Narcisse was already saved once by the writers.
That's a false dichotomy, based on your own preference for how you might have written the plot. This isn't an argument against the logic of the show -- it's an argument that their sense of storytelling didn't match yours. There is absolutely no rule that two opposing forces must meet and one of them be destroyed. In fact, the world is full of the rise and fall of influence of opposing sides.

And that's the 'payoff'? Maybelle biting the dust? With all due respect of her being his daughter, that's not really high-stakes in terms of her contribution to the show. How is her death furthers Chalky's character?
This is utter nonsense. How does the death of his dear daughter, one for which he had such deep affection, affect him? Especially in the midst of a plot to which he himself was party? You've posted some tripe before, but this one might very well be the worst.

3. And how did Maybelle die? I don't think i remember such a crude pulling-out of a early plot card to tie the end. Oh, right, Harrow has troubles pulling the trigger so he couldn't take the shot when it was clean for some seconds. This has felt like all the 'Richard can't kill' thread was done just so it can be used here to sacrifice Maybelle. And i'm still unsure of the whole reason Richard stopped killing in the first place and that whole arc was lame from the start of the season.
More nonsense. Richard wanted to get away from his dark side, and tried. This was motivated by his love for Tommy (and Jimmy) and his newfound love for his wife. (Name escapes me, sorry.) He failed to get away from his killing ways, but when he returned he found he wasn't the same sure hand with a gun that he used to be. All of that is a complete story arc for Richard, completely independent of who actually got killed by him.

How he lived his life determined how he ended his life, and there was collateral damage. Please don't make this out to be some simplistic deus ex machina when it's far more than that.

I'm sorry you don't like the show. Your constant refrain in these threads about your dislike of the show is at least abrasive and at worst antagonistic.

DSFan1970

I respectfully disagree that the show has taken a hit. This is a period piece, it is very very expensive to produce.

They shoot mostly in NYC, I don't think they leave the NYC area for filming , correct me if anyone else knows. I recognize so e locations, but they utilize so many, with digital set extensions, that I get confused.

You are right in that the show looked different this year, and that is because they blew up the boardwalk set and Babette's. they were both overused, and very obviously sets. I think it opened the show up more, and the locations were varied as a result. Like TNG had bottle shows, so did Boardwalk, like last year when Nucky Owen and that kid were in the basement. I don't begrudge them that. This show is so beautifully written acted and produced. They produce a solid hour with no commercials.

I believe one scene took place on the boardwalk, the first time Gillian opens up to what was later revealed to be the detective, early on in the season. She confessed she had a son...

Wilbur

Banned
i dunno, personally for me its 2>3>1>4.

why did 'daughter' run off from chalky?

She realised there was no winning for them. He had a wife, a daughter who he wanted to see married. Narcisse would no doubt be looking for them. What life did they have together, on the run?

Helmholtz

why did 'daughter' run off from chalky?
The direction they took her character kind of pissed me off, considering how much screen time was dedicated to her and chalky. There had to have been like 10 nearly identical scenes of chalky starring at her while she sang in his club this season.

Speevy

Banned
If you stop the episode right here

633c76a0_AZiFUJC.jpeg

you could say that Richard was so badass that he pulled off his own head and buried it in the sand.

Grinchy

Banned
The direction they took her character kind of pissed me off, considering how much screen time was dedicated to her and chalky. There had to have been like 10 nearly identical scenes of chalky starring at her while she sang in his club this season.

Yep. I complained early on in the season about that. Finally we had more Chalky and all they're having him do is stand and stare for minutes at a time.

Blader

Damn...that was slightly upsetting.

I was hoping for a more resolute ending, but I'm also kind of glad they didn't go the more cliched route of killing Chalky or Narcisse. Not sure what's to be gained from keeping Eli alive yet again, though.

The boardwalk has always looked fake as fuck to me, so the less of it the better imo.

Goddamn, why are my eyes wet?

That was a fucking great final. Not bombastic like last season's but it had wonderful moments and gave closure to every plot thread we had this season. Nobody won, really. The Chicago storyline just got a hellava lot more interesting!

That was one of the best exits I've ever seen for a character at the end. Absolutely beautifully shot. It rivals Jimmy's at the end of season 2. And the end credits. WOW.

What a show

Duke Togo

Goddamn, why are my eyes wet?

That was a fucking great final. Not bombastic like last season's but it had wonderful moments and gave closure to every plot thread we had this season. Nobody won, really. The Chicago storyline just got a hellava lot more interesting!

That was one of the best exits I've ever seen for a character at the end. Absolutely beautifully shot. It rivals Jimmy's at the end of season 2. And the end credits. WOW.

What a show
+1. That was a fantastic ending to the season. Just so many good scenes and characters. Bring on season 5!

120v

another fantastic season. i was beginning to think it wasn't going to be as good as the last (where i feel the show really hit its groove) but i'm fortunately proved wrong.

the florida arc seemed a little on the extraneous side but i'm in full faith its mostly setup for season 5

well the boardwalk set was rented out (i don't know if "rented out" is the correct production term, but anyway) for only three seasons. then they decided the show was progressing in a different direction anyway, so they just did away with the boardwalk and decided the onyx club would be the new main setpiece.

i noticed the scenery wasn't as ornate this time around but i don't think it was anything glaring, at least not in the way of production values. it wasn't like Weeds or Dexter where the final seasons look nothing like the earlier ones

duckroll

Think they will jump ahead farther in time next season?

They were foreshadowing some things with Rothstein, and it would give Will time to graduate college.

I think it's likely. The season 4 finale feels a lot like the season 2 finale. Both ended with specific personal acts of violence that forces certain characters to move on, and an epilogue which puts all the characters into positions they weren't in before in a conclusive but open way.

They should probably aim to do another 2 seasons like this and end it for good.

n64coder

Just watched the season finale. Very we'll done. Really enjoyed hearing Daughter sing "Farewell Daddy Blues". Replayed the song 5 times in a row. Wished she had an album that I could listen to.

Ending scene was beautiful but on a rewatch my favorite moment might be Eli telling nucky what it is.

"A man in an empty hotel, pointing a gun at his brother" and then he continues to drop the ethers

I'm gonna miss seeing him and nucky but he's on to great things with van Alden and Capone

Bodacious

Banned
....Who was Hoover refeering to when asking Narcisse to become an informant?

No one remember ol' Marcus Garvey. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsrcrceVsUU

Question - can anyone remember if Eli had contact with Van Alden when he was still working as a prohibition agent? I know Nucky did, but can't remember re: Eli. Oh well, gives me an excuse to go back and watch the series from the beginning before S5. And you know what that means ... Esther Randolph sideboob!

It really is amazing how good the redemption for Eli has been, considering just how much we all wanted him to be a corpse back in Season 2. It's easy to forget just how much of a backstabbing piece of shit he was when he was collaborating with The Commodore and Jimmy.

Bring back Esther Randolph. And Katie. Oh poor Katie. She must have been devastated to learn of Owen's demise.

I still miss Owen.

Mr. Sleater.

Mrs. Thompson.

;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom