• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boardwalk Empire - Season 4 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
ikx1mbk.jpg

Season 4 of Boardwalk Empire premieres on Sunday, September 8th on HBO. In the first three seasons, Boardwalk Empire has developed into a very good show and delivered a highly entertaining narrative about prohibition-era America. The show boasts a talented writing team, a great ensemble cast, and a production crew/budget that puts together one of the better looking shows on TV. The fourth season will consist of 12 episodes.

HBO Press Release said:
Atlantic City, February 1924: After barely surviving an overthrow by gangster Gyp Rossetti, Nucky Thompson is laying low at the end of the Boardwalk. But the calm will be short-lived, as Nucky faces new challenges, including a clash with the mayor, a battle with his brother Eli over Eli’s college-age son, and the irresistible lure of lucrative – and perilous – opportunities in Florida.

From Terence Winter, Emmy® Award-winning writer of “The Sopranos,” and Academy Award®-winning director Martin Scorsese, Boardwalk Empire is set in the 1920s during Prohibition, and chronicles the life and times of Enoch “Nucky” Thompson. The Emmy®- and Golden Globe-winning drama series kicks off its 12-episode fourth season SUNDAY, SEPT. 8 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT), exclusively on HBO, followed by other episodes on subsequent Sundays at the same time.

Boardwalk Empire stars Steve Buscemi as Nucky Thompson; Kelly Macdonald as Margaret, Nucky’s estranged wife; Michael Shannon as former Federal Agent Nelson Van Alden, caught up in gangland conflicts; Shea Whigham as Nucky’s brother Elias, whose attempt to steer his son clear of Nucky’s influence sparks fraternal tensions; Jack Huston as disfigured war veteran Richard Harrow, who is searching for a new purpose in life; Stephen Graham as gangster Al Capone; Michael Stuhlbarg as gangster Arnold Rothstein, who’s newly wary of Nucky; Vincent Piazza as gangster Lucky Luciano; Paul Sparks as Mickey Doyle, head of Nucky’s bootlegging operation; Michael Kenneth Williams as Nucky’s ally Chalky White, leader of the city’s African-American community; Gretchen Mol as Gillian, battling demons from her past as she seeks custody of her grandson; and Anthony Laciura as Eddie Kessler, Nucky’s longtime valet.

New cast members in season four include Jeffrey Wright as Valentin Narcisse, a violent Harlem power broker who tries to muscle in on Chalky’s action; Ron Livingston as Roy Phillips, a business and romantic prospect of Gillian’s; Patricia Arquette as Sally Wheet, a Florida speakeasy owner; Brian Geraghty as Federal Agent Warren Knox; and Domenick Lombardozzi and Morgan Spector as Al Capone’s brothers, Ralph and Frank.

1bOEvig.jpg
107hwfF.jpg
xrVejw0.jpg

Links:
General sources:
- HBO Main Page
- IMDB
- Wikipedia
- Metacritic review page

Videos: (youtube)
- Season 4 Teaser
- Welcome Back Tease *youtube*
- Kings Trailer
- Tribute Trailer
- An Invitation to the Set (youtube)
- Business Trailer
- Season 3 Revisited Show (~15 min recap)
- Season 4: Mickey Doyle
- Season 4: Nucky & Eddie Kessler
- Season 4: Atlantic City (teaser)
- Season 4: Chicago (teaser)
- Season 4: Harlem (teaser)
- Season 4: New York (teaser)

Article & Interviews:
- The Wrap: 'Boardwalk Empire' Gets Those Gorgeous Costumes Bloody
- The Wrap: 9 Outtakes from 'Boardwalk Empire' Cast's EmmyWrap Cover Shoot
- HitFix: Steve Buscemi meets new cast members in 'Boardwalk Empire' season 4 images
- Stream the new Boardwalk Empire soundtrack, featuring St. Vincent, Neko Case, Elvis Costello, and more

Promo pics: (click to embiggen)

Main cast: (according to Wikipedia, I don't have anything from HBO confirming this)
  • Steve Buscemi as Enoch "Nucky" Thompson
  • Kelly Macdonald as Margaret Thompson
  • Michael Shannon as Nelson Van Alden/George Mueller
  • Shea Whigham as Elias "Eli" Thompson
  • Michael Stuhlbarg as Arnold Rothstein
  • Stephen Graham as Al Capone
  • Vincent Piazza as Charlie Luciano
  • Michael Kenneth Williams as Albert "Chalky" White
  • Anthony Laciura as Eddie Kessler
  • Paul Sparks as Mickey Doyle
  • Jack Huston as Richard Harrow
  • Gretchen Mol as Gillian Darmody
  • Jeffrey Wright as Dr. Valentin Narcisse
  • Ron Livingston as Roy Phillips

Recurring Cast:
  • Greg Antonacci as Johnny Torrio
  • Anatol Yusef as Meyer Lansky
  • Christopher McDonald as Harry Daugherty
  • Kevin O'Rourke as Edward L. Bader
  • Josie and Lucy Gallina as Emily Schroeder
  • Declan and Rory McTigue as Theodore "Teddy" Schroeder
  • Michael Zegen as Bugsy Siegel
  • Erik LaRay Harvey as Dunn Purnsley
  • Arron Shiver as Dean O'Banion
  • Stephen Root as Gaston Means
  • Glenn Fleshler as George Remus
  • James Cromwell as Andrew W. Mellon
  • Julianne Nicholson as Esther Randolph
  • Will Janowitz as Hymie Weiss
  • Ivo Nandi as Joe Masseria
  • Christiane Seidel as Sigrid
  • Wrenn Schmidt as Julia Sagorsky
  • Patricia Arquette as Sally Wheet
  • Domenick Lombardozzi as Ralph Capone

New Cast for S4
In his biggest series commitment to date, Jeffrey Wright has joined the cast of HBO’s Boardwalk Empire as a new series regular for the period drama’s upcoming fourth season. He will play
Valentin Narcisse, Doctor of Divinity, philanthropist, student of culture and the man who runs Harlem.
Season 4 is currently in production and will debut later this year. This marks Wright’s return to HBO where he has starred in several long-form projects, including film Boycott, in which he portrayed Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., landing an AFI Award, and mini-series Angels In America, which earned him an Emmy and Golden Globe for the role he originated onstage and won a Tony for.

3rSogOjt.jpg
Ron Livingston has joined the cast of HBO’s Boardwalk Empire as a new series regular for the period’s drama upcoming fourth season. He will play
Roy Phillips, a wealthy out-of-town businessman who catches the eye of Gillian Darmody (Gretchen Mol).
Season four is currently in production and will debut later this year. This marks Livingston’s return to HBO where he co-starred on the Emmy-winning Sex And The City, Band Of Brothers and, most recently, Game Change.

ba4cMimt.png
HBO‘s Boardwalk Empire continues to beef up its cast for Season 4. Patricia Arquette has joined the period mob drama in a major recurring role opposite star Steve Buscemi. She will play
Sally Wheet, a tough-as-nails Tampa speakeasy owner with connections to local gangsters.

rjzDnn7t.png
The Killing alum Eric Ladin is set to play
young J. Edgar Hoover on HBO’s Boardwalk Empire.
Ladin, repped by Innovative and Main Title, has joined the cast of the period mob drama as a recurring.

NRCtvEut.png
Domenick Lombardozzi (Breakout Kings) has been cast in a recurring role on HBO’s period mob drama Boardwalk Empire. He will play
Chicago mobster Ralph Capone, older brother to Al Capone (Stephen Graham).
This marks Lombardozzi’s return to HBO where he co-starred on The Wire, did arcs on Entourage and Oz and guest-starred on Bored To Death.

J5jvYk2t.jpg
Hurt Locker co-star Brian Geraghty has joined the cast of HBO’s Boardwalk Empire as a recurring for the period mob drama’s upcoming fourth season. He will play
Loren Knox, a prohibition agent with ulterior motives newly assigned to Atlantic City.
Season 4 is currently in production for a debut later this year. This marks Geraghty’s second major series gig following a recurring role on another HBO series, True Blood.

GE76nnat.png

Posters: (click to embiggen)

Gifs:

Gw2Bu.gif
mFdB0.gif

Vq05p.gif
OktV2.gif

tQRme.gif
LzxF9.gif

ibxDazcPkF5tXm.gif

ixAk0i2kr31C9.gif

ib0ZDMB64EW5MG.gif

ibwb7D8LTeu05E.gif

Rubixcuba

Banned
So happy to have this back, last season was one of the most exciting I've ever watched. With this and Breaking Bad its going to be an amazing couple of weeks of television.

120v

i didn't know this was coming back so soon. thank god ... with BB wrapping up i didn't think i'd have anything to watch.

seasons one and two were good but the third season is when it really found its groove IMO. some of the best writing, directing and acting i've seen on a show, maybe even better than Mad Men or BB

demolitio

Another show that always has you sitting on the edge of your seat. So glad it's back!

It feels like this season kind of crept up on me even though I've seen the HBO ads talk about it constantly.

By the way, for any DIRECTV customers: HBO and Cinemax will be free this weekend so anyone who was wanting to watch this show to see what it's about, you can catch S4's premiere this weekend.

Holy fuck I forgot Ron Livingston was in this season.

Anyway, can't fucking wait. Recently rewatched the final episode of Season 3 and I am itching to see how Rothstein reacts to Nuck's Fuck.

TTG

Someone clear this up for me, didn't Gillian overdose on heroin last season, a bit of reversal of fortune after trying to stick Gyp with the needle and all that. How is she back?

Someone clear this up for me, didn't Gillian overdose on heroin last season, a bit of reversal of fortune after trying to stick Gyp with the needle and all that. How is she back?

She never died. She was just shown to be very, very high on H.

Moff

yep, I am hyped. loved all three seasons so far. glad they are not afraid to kill off popular characters.

inm8num2

Last season had some ups and downs. I really missed Jimmy's presence. Gyp felt cartoonish at times. Still overall a good season.

Can't wait to see what's in store for season 4.

Variety review:
The third season of “Boardwalk Empire” achieved such operatic highs — and featured such an assortment of twisting alliances, along with a truly menacing villain — that the slow start to the current campaign is perhaps to be forgiven. Granted, there’s still a lot happening, and plenty of violence in and around Nucky Thompson’s booze-running world circa 1924, but the larger picture has yet to coalesce, offering enjoyable moments but, five episodes in, no driving through-line. Fortunately, the show has enough heft to remain one of TV’s most compelling dramas, if a cocktail that’s understandably a tad strong for viewers with weaker stomachs to comfortably consume.

diamount

Banned
I seriously hope Van Alden goes down the 'dark path' S3 alluded to, his path down that road was drawn out way too long.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sooo fuckin hyped for this - last season was exceptional.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm excited, though, I don't really remember anything that happened during season 3. I guess I'll have to watch that recap.

BTW, has Terence Winter even mentioned how many seasons he'd like to have total? I can't see this show lasting beyond six seasons.

But what about OWEN!?!?!

He's dead, thank god.

Variety review:

but the larger picture has yet to coalesce, offering enjoyable moments but, five episodes in, no driving through-line.

I swear I've read that exact same sentence before both the season 2 and season 3 premieres. It seems to be par for the course with this show.

I'm excited, though, I don't really remember anything that happened during season 3. I guess I'll have to watch that recap.

BTW, has Terence Winter even mentioned how many seasons he'd like to have total? I can't see this show lasting beyond six seasons.

There's alot of interesting Mafia events that happen from here on out, but personally I'd be surprised if this show goes past Prohibition. I can't really make any guesses on how long the show goes or what years they cover.

From an EW interview with Winter after last year's finale:
Q: If the presumed fifth or sixth season comes along and you’re told by HBO that it’s the last one, is your goal to conclude the story at the end of Prohibition?
A: Ideally, that would be a great end point — or the stock market crash might be another logical end point. Given the nature of what we do, you have to be prepared to wrap things up when it’s time to end. I hope I have enough advance notice to bring the story to a conclusion I’m really happy with and I’m confident that I will.

Q: Do you have a final scene in your head?
A: Yeah. A vague one, yeah. But, of course, I can’t tell you.

I swear I've read that exact same sentence before both the season 2 and season 3 premieres. It seems to be par for the course with this show.
Yup, that's very familiar and how it goes. The show's pace and scattered narrative doesn't work for everyone, but I don't mind at all.

Kak.efes

No other show has done a better job of transfixing you in a time and setting. I don't typically watch shows on a week by week basis, but I will for boardwalk.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
From an EW interview with Winter after last year's finale:

Ah, excellent. I hope HBO lets them go out on their own terms.

Yup, that's very familiar and how it goes. The show's pace and scattered narrative doesn't work for everyone, but I don't mind at all.

I don't mind it at all either, but it sort of baffles me that critics complain/mention it year after year. Like, you'd think they'd realize by now that this is just how the show structures its seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom