• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boardwalk Empire - Season 4 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hindle

Banned
I think the show will end with Al Capone being the established gangster we know he turns out to be. The same with Rothstein and Lanski.

I'm thinking Elliot Ness will be introduced in a future season as well.

I think the show will end with Al Capone being the established gangster we know he turns out to be. The same with Rothstein and Lanski.

I'm thinking Elliot Ness will be introduced in a future season as well.

Rothstein is already well-established by this point.

I won't spoil all that happens with Capone but...
This is the year he takes over Cicero, Lansky and Luciano experience a huge rise in power and prominence as well. If there's any power growth with Rothstein it's abotu him cornering the drug market. Also Ness wasn't working for Hoover till 1927.

I wonder if we'll see any more of Masseria this season?

I for one, have felt the wait to be an eternity! This show, like the Wire and BB did on my first watch, grabbed me by the balls and never let go.

After season 3, it's better and more complex than either IMO. I equally care to see what happens with almost every character.

dc89

Season 4?!
I didn't even know the show had a third season.

Ok. I think it's time to start from the beginning.

FWIW, I saw that Wikipedia has an S4 cast list up, though I haven't seen an official one on HBO's site. I hope this one is correct since it includes both Stephen Root and Julianne Nicholson among others.

Main cast:
  • Steve Buscemi as Enoch "Nucky" Thompson
  • Kelly Macdonald as Margaret Thompson
  • Michael Shannon as Nelson Van Alden/George Mueller
  • Shea Whigham as Elias "Eli" Thompson
  • Michael Stuhlbarg as Arnold Rothstein
  • Stephen Graham as Al Capone
  • Vincent Piazza as Charlie Luciano
  • Michael Kenneth Williams as Albert "Chalky" White
  • Anthony Laciura as Eddie Kessler
  • Paul Sparks as Mickey Doyle
  • Jack Huston as Richard Harrow
  • Gretchen Mol as Gillian Darmody
  • Jeffrey Wright as Dr. Valentin Narcisse
  • Ron Livingston as Roy Phillips

Recurring Cast:
  • Greg Antonacci as Johnny Torrio
  • Anatol Yusef as Meyer Lansky
  • Christopher McDonald as Harry Daugherty
  • Kevin O'Rourke as Edward L. Bader
  • Josie and Lucy Gallina as Emily Schroeder
  • Declan and Rory McTigue as Theodore "Teddy" Schroeder
  • Michael Zegen as Bugsy Siegel
  • Erik LaRay Harvey as Dunn Purnsley
  • Arron Shiver as Dean O'Banion
  • Stephen Root as Gaston Means
  • Glenn Fleshler as George Remus
  • James Cromwell as Andrew W. Mellon
  • Julianne Nicholson as Esther Randolph
  • Will Janowitz as Hymie Weiss
  • Ivo Nandi as Joe Masseria
  • Christiane Seidel as Sigrid
  • Wrenn Schmidt as Julia Sagorsky
  • Patricia Arquette as Sally Wheet
  • Domenick Lombardozzi as Ralph Capone

Hindle

Banned
Rothstein is already well-established by this point.

I won't spoil all that happens with Capone but...
This is the year he takes over Cicero, Lansky and Luciano experience a huge rise in power and prominence as well. If there's any power growth with Rothstein it's abotu him cornering the drug market. Also Ness wasn't working for Hoover till 1927.

I wonder if we'll see any more of Masseria this season?

I think him and Luciano will continue to clash with each other. In S3 Luciano was essentially Masserias whipping boy, but this season the tables will begin to turn IMO.

As for Ness, it would be awesome if a future season has a scene where Capone and Ness meet each other. Just a wink wink moment. It'd make a great final scene for the show lol.

Linius

Season 4?!
I didn't even know the show had a third season.

Ok. I think it's time to start from the beginning.

Well it's not the first time you're late...

In all seriousness, get on with this when you finish BB. It's top tier television.

I don't mind it at all either, but it sort of baffles me that critics complain/mention it year after year. Like, you'd think they'd realize by now that this is just how the show structures its seasons.
Interestingly enough, several critics have mentioned several times that they think critics are commonly more praising of the show than the general audience because they get the season in two packs of six episodes.
FWIW, I saw that Wikipedia has an S4 cast list up, though I haven't seen an official one on HBO's site. I hope this one is correct since it includes both Stephen Root and Julianne Nicholson among others.

If you look at the episode listings on HBO's site, the first episode of the season has a cast listing similar to prior, but from the second episode on the billing order is different, including Stephen Graham with second billing.

I realize that just adds to the confusion. :p

Sober

Excited for next season. Good to see Stephen Root on the recurring list, loved Gaston Means last season. That and the Richard Harrow rampage was good stuff.

Interestingly enough, several critics have mentioned several times that they think critics are commonly more praising of the show than the general audience because they get the season in two packs of six episodes.
It'd be interesting to see if there's any correlation between how much people enjoy specific shows and how they watch it (marathon vs weekly).
If you look at the episode listings on HBO's site, the first episode of the season has a cast listing similar to prior, but from the second episode on the billing order is different, including Stephen Graham with second billing.

I realize that just adds to the confusion. :p
Heh, that is confusing. I'm just griping because HBO hasn't updated their website yet with the new cast list.

A few pics from the premiere party tonight:
tA44A1y.jpg

CSogR3m.jpg

FKDdKbA.jpg

L2enqvU.jpg

UYhj5u1.jpg

^ Yep.

Man I'd like to see them rope Scorsese into directing another episode, but the talent they have at the moment doesn't make me wish for it that much.

Interesting spoiler from Fienberg and Sepinwall's podcast (It's about a character showing up or not showing up)
Margaret isn't in the first 5 episodes and is apparently barely even mentioned.

Grinchy

Banned
I love Mickey Doyle so much. It's probably because of how much I hate him. He's such an awesome character.

Surprised he hasn't been seen more on the big screen besides that Allen Ginsberg film. I thought he'd shoot to stardom.

He's in Three Movies this year, one next year (so far), and one of the more popular acclaimed television shows...he's pretty big.

Also his grandfather is Legendary Hollywood director John Huston. So yeah...he probably doesn't need to take whatever roles he can get. He's probably just in a really good spot and only takes super interesting roles.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

I could see that. I think this show definitely benefits from watching marathon style, though it also works well when watching weekly. It's good either way. ^__^

Interesting spoiler from Fienberg and Sepinwall's podcast (It's about a character showing up or not showing up)

WHAAAAATTT

wait what

:/

Eh, it's probably for the best, as she doesn't really have a reason to interact with any of the other characters on the show and I'd rather they not try and shoehorn her into anything, but I am sort of surprised they didn't give her her own B plot this year.

Margaret has been a problematic character for a lot of people for a long time, so perhaps this is an example of the writers "learning from their mistakes" by writing her out of the show until all the new storylines have first been established for the most important characters.

She also had a child at the end of 2012, so perhaps they shifted a lot of her story to the back end of the season. Winter talked a bit at the end of S3 about how it was difficult to keep her tied into the story, but they had some ideas and wanted to make them work.

Hindle

Banned
I've always had the feeling there's more to the Micky Doyle character then meets the eye. I don't think that guys the idiot people think he is.

- Andy Greenwald's review for Grantland:
In a world filled with terrible TV, being just OK is hardly a sin. And indeed, when watched in bulk, there's something reliably entertaining about Boardwalk Empire. I'm not sure it's satisfying enough to qualify as a binge watch, but it certainly goes down easier when chugged. Still, there's a jarring dissonance between the show Boardwalk Empire's creators think they're making and the show they've actually made. With its astronomical budgets and craft-conscious actors and directors, the series continually strains for artistic importance, but it's impossible to ignore the pulp floating to the surface.

- EW review
There's a lot of slow exposition here, requiring patience for new characters. But the body count builds by the time the credits roll, so those quiet rooms won't stay quiet for long. B
- People Weekly:
Watching Nucky's frenemies thrive like poison toadstools ringing a tree--that's a grim, gripping spectacle in its own right.

Watching some of "Sunday Best" since it's on right now - this sequence with Eli hiding Easter eggs at the beginning is so good.

hokahey

My favorite show. Hands down. I have been totally hooked on Breaking Bad, but the wife missed all of S3 of BE so we marathoned it and I'm reminded that no show has ever captivated me like this one. It is always well written, beautifully shot and the detail is incredible. It really sucks you in like a time machine to the 20s.

I again teared up as Capone sang to his son, and got goosebumps at: "then we talk about who dies."

How Capone hasn't won an emmy award is beyond me.

Which episode in season 3 is the one that features Capone's relationship with his son?

My schedule is very tight, but I want to watch that one and at least the last two prior to Sunday's season premiere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom